Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Hi

This game is 22% off on GMG still. You should buy it because vermintidepod is the best.

And this is your best deal to get the game.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/warhammer-vermintide-2-pc/

Make sure you go to the VIP section to buy the game there. That’s where you’ll see it listed for -22%.

See you all in Master Splinter’s Bodega of Horrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Hi

This game is 22% off on GMG still. You should buy it because vermintidepod is the best.

Make sure you go to the VIP section to buy the game there. That’s where you’ll see it listed for -22%.

Good find. You have to register a free account and claim a voucher code and it seems that the 22% VIP and the 10% base discount are stacking because I just bought VT2 for $21.05, making it a 30% discount off the 29.99 retail so get it while the gettin's good.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Pushes and blocks no longer 360 + shields no longer repeat shield bash to CC big packs + the game is making GBS threads enemies constantly from all directions + half of those enemies are health sack Chaos dudes who need an extra click each to kill vs rats = I'm not sure I'm into this.

What use is a shield weapon without the VT1 repeat shield bashing? "It gets hosed less by new push/block rules" is a really unsatisfactory answer.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The 50% wider shield knock back trait seems to solve that issue.

And shields still having a larger knock back radius than other weapons really does help for at least one direction. If you need help on the other direction, get a better team.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Banano posted:

I have yet to encounter a shield that can withstand my napalm hose :flame:

Welcome to team warcrimes!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SuperKlaus posted:

Pushes and blocks no longer 360 + shields no longer repeat shield bash to CC big packs + the game is making GBS threads enemies constantly from all directions + half of those enemies are health sack Chaos dudes who need an extra click each to kill vs rats = I'm not sure I'm into this.

What use is a shield weapon without the VT1 repeat shield bashing? "It gets hosed less by new push/block rules" is a really unsatisfactory answer.

Axe + Shield is still super legit for the dwarf, your charged attack combo isn't as good anymore, but you still get a shitload of block stamina, mighty shoves, and a can opener for your uncharged attack. It's just not "lol I knock down all rats constantly like they were dominoes" good.

For the others? Yeah, it's probably kind of a problem.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 26, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Hi

Sweet, just pulled the trigger, though I'll not be playing until all the maps are out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

Pretty much my first impression as well—going through the previous beta with its hosed spawns and the weapons you start with was an utter slog and felt like the experience of chipping through a horde with a pre-1.5 axe, with every single class, until every group I played with had the OP weapons. Shields got hosed over hard for no reason.

This beta has made me more optimistic about it simply due to the spawns being much more reasonable and discovering that the 1h sword of all things can still do what you want vs any number of non armored enemies. All my other issues with it still stand but it’s enough of an improvement to feel like something I can enjoy, even if I currently find it worse than the first game

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Digirat posted:

Pretty much my first impression as well—going through the previous beta with its hosed spawns and the weapons you start with was an utter slog and felt like the experience of chipping through a horde with a pre-1.5 axe, with every single class, until every group I played with had the OP weapons. Shields got hosed over hard for no reason.

This beta has made me more optimistic about it simply due to the spawns being much more reasonable and discovering that the 1h sword of all things can still do what you want vs any number of non armored enemies. All my other issues with it still stand but it’s enough of an improvement to feel like something I can enjoy, even if I currently find it worse than the first game

I've taken to the 2h hammer because it can still stagger big rat groups like it did in VT1 and I appreciate knowing 1h sword does that now for some reason. The hammer has such trash defense now with the block/push arc mechanic though.

Third World Reggin posted:

The 50% wider shield knock back trait seems to solve that issue.

Say, what exactly does that mean? I assume it's "increase your current arc by X% of that arc" so like a 180 degree shield arc is now a 270 degree arc. But I wanna be sure it's not "increase your arc by X% of 360" so a 50% boost would be total coverage on a shield.

DeathSandwich posted:

Axe + Shield is still super legit for the dwarf

Yeah I like it alright but it's such a :smith: feeling compared to the Axe and Shield from VT1, where its mix of CC and AP made it my top favorite rat basher.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Is there goon discord channel for this game?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
https://discord.gg/XeAaDY3

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Digirat posted:

My guess is they're trying to make the Shields good at different things. The Hammer+Shield Charged attack combo looks different, but functionally is identical against trash to the old repeated shield bashes. You can bully enemy shielders and armor but are dependent on your team to kill them.

The Axe+Shield seems made for bullying enemy shielders and stormies. You can lead with the charged attack shield bash and that buys you time to land a bunch of axe hits, but the inability to directly chain shield bashes gives it a limitation vs. the largest trash hordes. Maybe thats giving Fatshark too much credit to suppose that loving over the axe+shield's horde control is a feature.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Willie Tomg posted:

I mean

There's "support" and there's support, y'know? I'm good with it if folks in here keep Sienna Meta quiet. I don't need that getting nerfed anytime soon.

What is the "Sienna Meta"? I played her to level 10 or 11 over the weekend and felt like I would have been infinitely more useful to the team by picking any other character.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Cool, thanks!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I've been getting close to the same speed/use of Kruber's shield bash from VT1 on Bardin's 2h hammer charged swings. Not quite as many enemies CC'd but they send folks flying nicely. Wasn't impressed with the hammer/shield in VT2 but I wasn't using it charged much. Or I might not have used it yet. Haven't used much axe/shield in VT2.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

unfortunately i think hammer+shield still falls into the same pitfall that it did in vermintide 1 where axe+shield has the crowd control aspects of the shield along with the good damage of the axe letting it get better traction against stuff like stormvermin or other armored things (which is very much more important in the sequel then the first game for multiple reasons)

the hammer is kind of set up to fill the crowd control space as well but it's mildly redundant since you have the shield

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
vt1 anything+shield "let me just spam this one push attack over and over again, forever" was a bad meta and I'm glad it's dead

I use a shield full-time in vt2 because in this game it's a lot less boring to do so

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So what's Sienna's gimmick again? Do I not want to manually discharge heat or keep it below a certain threshold (without filling up the bar of course)?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Jimbot posted:

So what's Sienna's gimmick again? Do I not want to manually discharge heat or keep it below a certain threshold (without filling up the bar of course)?

For her base career, you can rack her heat up, then switch to melee. Avoid damage and don't use your staff for 8 seconds and her heat drains super fast. For pyromancer, you want to keep heat up, but not all of the way up. You get additional crit with high heat, so get it up there, start flailing in melee for a million critical strikes until it's around the middle, repeat. I just unlocked unchained, but it looks like you're incentivized to drive heat high, use your living bomb to blow up hordes, and take advantage of the reduced block cost on high overcharge/block consume overcharge to manage your heat when it's on CD.

Speaking of unchained, she has a level 10 talent that grants 40% stamina regen for 2 seconds on charged attacks. Is stamina what they're calling the resource your career skill uses?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

For her base career, you can rack her heat up, then switch to melee. Avoid damage and don't use your staff for 8 seconds and her heat drains super fast. For pyromancer, you want to keep heat up, but not all of the way up. You get additional crit with high heat, so get it up there, start flailing in melee for a million critical strikes until it's around the middle, repeat. I just unlocked unchained, but it looks like you're incentivized to drive heat high, use your living bomb to blow up hordes, and take advantage of the reduced block cost on high overcharge/block consume overcharge to manage your heat when it's on CD.

Speaking of unchained, she has a level 10 talent that grants 40% stamina regen for 2 seconds on charged attacks. Is stamina what they're calling the resource your career skill uses?

Stamina's how much you can block - 2 stamina translates to one shield.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

dmboogie posted:

Stamina's how much you can block - 2 stamina translates to one shield.

That actually synergizes really well for her then. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

Gotcha. Manually discharging hurts you, right? I think that was the case in the first game. It's been a while since I played that one.

Edit: I will say, though, the fireball staff isn't very good. Not so much the damage (it is the default weapon after all) but I can't see poo poo with all the fire snot blocking my vision.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Holy crap, Slayer Bardin's level 20 talent that grants temp health on kills, coupled with a pair of axes and plenty of crit stats creates an unstoppable monster, at least on hard. Once you get a couple kills to build up that buffer for your actual health, you can just mash that M1 as fast as you can; as long as there's something to kill you can just wade through packs of stormvermin and chaos warriors alike.

Highlight of the day was having the rest of the team down during the forest map's finale and responding to that by just mining a path through rats to get to them while completely surrounded, taking berserkers to the back the entire time.

Watch out for lone bosses and slow moments, as you won't have that chunk of white health to save you from getting 3-shot.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Aren't everyones level 20 talents the same or is someones different

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Third World Reggin posted:

Aren't everyones level 20 talents the same or is someones different

they're all the same, they just have thematic names based on the character

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ad by Khad posted:

Plenty of occasions where a teammate is fighting a shieldvermin, I walk behind it and plink it in the back of the head and it dies.

Yes there is an issue where they regain their stamina too fast, but they also have a pretty glaring weakness in that they can't 360 block while swinging at someone else.

You'd think more people would know how to click + delete shieldvermin ;)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Jimbot posted:

Gotcha. Manually discharging hurts you, right? I think that was the case in the first game. It's been a while since I played that one.

Edit: I will say, though, the fireball staff isn't very good. Not so much the damage (it is the default weapon after all) but I can't see poo poo with all the fire snot blocking my vision.

manually discharging will only hurt you if you are over the first little tick mark in your heat bar. so if you have a LITTLE heat, like 20% of your bar or something, you can vent harmlessly, but venting at 50% or so will do damage.

that said, the damage is not very much so in a pitched battle or against a monstrous enemy it likely makes sense to take a little bit of damage to save a lot being done to your teammates.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In general if it's a choice between venting or taking a hit, venting will hurt less.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I thought as much.

Is the post-game screen also double as a loading screen? I wish I could just skip all that poo poo and not have to wait for the stats screen then wait some more. I just want to beat the level, then jump right back to the keep so I can continue.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Senethro posted:

My guess is they're trying to make the Shields good at different things. The Hammer+Shield Charged attack combo looks different, but functionally is identical against trash to the old repeated shield bashes. You can bully enemy shielders and armor but are dependent on your team to kill them.

The Axe+Shield seems made for bullying enemy shielders and stormies. You can lead with the charged attack shield bash and that buys you time to land a bunch of axe hits, but the inability to directly chain shield bashes gives it a limitation vs. the largest trash hordes. Maybe thats giving Fatshark too much credit to suppose that loving over the axe+shield's horde control is a feature.

Mace and shield charge combo isn't the same because the alternating mace swings have a limited number of targets, unlike the shield bash which creates a "bubble" around the enemy you hit with it that staggers everything nearby. It's also extremely slow, unlike the OG sword & shield and axe & shield. In vermintide 1 a skilled player can keep an entire wave back with these weapons for their team to clean up if people work together. It's extremely fun and a good expression of teamwork/fighting in formation, because the shield itself does next to no damage but it enables the rest of the team to kill without taking hits

Given that they still let the 1h sword have its infinite target combo I think this was just a dumb attempt to make the weapons more "complex" or whatever, when different swings in the same combo accomplishing wildly different goals is basically never something you want in vermintide. The net result is that they're just awkward as poo poo to use now. Next to the 1h sword I can't really discern any consistent intent behind what they're doing, compounded with things like the sword and shield's second charge attack not piercing armor in the previous beta when its third charge attack did, which has since been reversed so the second one pierces armor but now the third one doesn't

never attribute to malice that which can be explained by fatshark

Ad by Khad posted:

vt1 anything+shield "let me just spam this one push attack over and over again, forever" was a bad meta and I'm glad it's dead

I use a shield full-time in vt2 because in this game it's a lot less boring to do so

this was literally never a "meta," just like everything else that doesn't put a big number next to your name on the end of level stats, and I can count on one hand the number of times I saw another player use a shield on cataclysm

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'm really starting to question if ad by khad even played the first game

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Well I only have 300 hours in it, compared to you guys though that's likely a "not really"

I notice you didn't deny that using a shield in vt1 was boring as death though

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I kind of found a rhythm with Unchained. I'm lucky enough to have several +stam pieces on, so she has 5 shields with the flaming sword. The pattern seemed to be using a combination of pushes to control the horde with charged attacks to increase stamina regen. Pushes cost you overcharge, so you flip back to your shotgun staff to crank a few of those off every once in a while to keep overcharge (and thereby melee damage) increased. Her career ability made more sense to me when I started treating it like an oh poo poo release valve for heat if I got surrounded and took a bunch of damage, since taking damage increases your heat as Unchained. Trying to actively seek out ways to use it offensively just ended up with me exploding and doing nothing.

Also, her trait that says "50% of damage taken transferred to overcharge" I assume means that you still take full damage but also gain half of that as overcharge. It sort of felt like I was taking less damage per hit than I had in her previous careers. I don't know if more careful horde management meant I was getting hit less, or if maybe it actually splits damage received 50/50 between health and overcharge? It's far more likely that I just played abnormally well, but I felt like I had twice the health I expected to have (which I then promptly wasted exploding myself a few times).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What do you do at the end of the forest mission? What do you align? I didn't look at it before I jumped in because I didn't know you had to manually do it and the game send a billion enemies at you so you can't get a good look once things go down.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ad by Khad posted:

Well I only have 300 hours in it, compared to you guys though that's likely a "not really"

i mean, i don't feel the need to lecture other people on what they should and shouldn't find fun, personally? even if you audit my complaining in this thread it's all about balance, not what is and isn't 'fun' by some immensely shallow definition. maybe if you were honest about how much you played instead of writing down a random number you'd start down the path to understanding why that is?

fwiw, i used a dwarf axe and shield a lot and had plenty of enjoyment with it, each motion it had was useful depending on the contexts. the reason you didn't use it on cata is simply because the mode took long enough when you were spitting out all the damage on the planet. taking low damage weapons just made it take longer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ad by Khad posted:

Digirat posted:

It's extremely fun

smdh if singlehandedly and furiously battering entire legions into pudding and being a team hero is boring

Beyond the sgt shields being weird and awkward to use now, I question what the point of them even is now when their CC is far more inconsistent than the 1h sword and their damage is far worse than most of his other weapons. These are pretty early impressions that it's probably unfair to complain about as this is a beta, but out of all the things fatshark rebalanced over the last two and a half years in vermintide 1, weapon animations were never one of them so I don't see these weapons changing much

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 27, 2018

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Coolguye posted:

maybe if you were honest about how much you played instead of writing down a random number

oh ok

I don't think either of us is benefiting from this discussion so I'm just not gonna engage the rest of what you posted at me. I hope this puts your question to rest.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

This is stupid and weird

you guys are stupid and weird

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Digirat posted:

Beyond the sgt shields being weird and awkward to use now, I question what the point of them even is now when their CC is far more inconsistent than the 1h sword and their damage is far worse than most of his other weapons. These are pretty early impressions that it's probably unfair to complain about as this is a beta, but out of all the things fatshark rebalanced over the last two and a half years in vermintide 1, weapon animations were never one of them so I don't see these weapons changing much

I suspect a lot of the point lies in how much faster you can lose stamina. You very rarely actually needed the extra Stamina from a shield in VT1, since most of your crowd control was done with your heavy attack. Now that you can lose it faster, having 5-7 shields will make a bigger difference, I think.

At least I think that's their intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

the good part of krubers shield is that if you slash 3 things you slash more things

but I don't know why it would be good on the huntsman or foot knight

• Locked thread