Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Guillermus posted:

You just complained in the Android Phone thread that you could access the dialer from the lockscreen (emergency calls anyone?) on android and all the security stuff and data gathered by google like microsoft and apple don't do that too.
Honestly I'd never seen an emergency dialer before because they're all buried behind several prompts instead of a swipe up from the corner. My bad for thinking it automatically dialled your local service instead of showing you keys.

I have zero love for Apple but their privacy controls are still top-notch; the real dangers to your data are the free apps with Facebook logins anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Im probably the only guy on these forums using a 8.1 windows phone but is anyone else not able to send messages on facebook? Last year they banned us from the messenger app and now the send button on the website doesnt work , its pretty funny/sad.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You're not even on 10? :psyduck: At least that gets updated in some fashion. There's levels of masochism that no-one should sanction.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
The Facebook app on 8.1 hasn't been supported for almost a year now. It's probably a miracle it even works as well as it does. https://www.windowscentral.com/facebook-dropping-support-messenger-and-facebook-apps-older-windows-windows-phone-versions

Honestly, you're probably better off using the mobile site now.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Honestly, you're probably better off using the mobile site now.

He said it's not working on the mobile site.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Stick100 posted:

He said it's not working on the mobile site.

I read good.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You're not even on 10? :psyduck: At least that gets updated in some fashion. There's levels of masochism that no-one should sanction.

Push notifications are being turned off for 7 and 8.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/19/17027562/microsoft-windows-phone-push-notifications

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

As of Q1 2017 all of windows phone is .1% of the market. Everything not Windows Phone, Android, or iOS was also .1%. I'm guessing those numbers are significantly lower a year later. I didn't expect it to go quite that far that fast, I guess there really is only 2 options and it will likely be that way for a long time.

https://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share/os

I'm kind of surprised they aren't shutting the whole thing down.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 20, 2018

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I do get nostalgic to it when I open another useless widget on my windows 10 pc like “people” or “see notifications from mobile device” and they don’t do anything.

My 950XL sits on my desk at work to test consumer Skype to Skype4B calls but now even that won’t stay signed in so welp.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

Im probably the only guy on these forums using a 8.1 windows phone
I don't know if it's much of a consolation, but if my Nokia 820's micro-USB connector hadn't broken internally (apparently to the point of no repair) back in October, I'd probably still be using it now.

I suppose the handful of programs I've got installed on my new Android phone that aren't available on WP are nice.

:smith:

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Stick100 posted:

As of Q1 2017 all of windows phone is .1% of the market. Everything not Windows Phone, Android, or iOS was also .1%. I'm guessing those numbers are significantly lower a year later. I didn't expect it to go quite that far that fast, I guess there really is only 2 options and it will likely be that way for a long time.

https://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share/os

I'm kind of surprised they aren't shutting the whole thing down.

I havent had an active phone plan since like 2015 and i suspect most windows phone users dont either. Were probably not counted in that 0.1%. The real markshare has to be 0.2% at least. Anyway is there a way to force facebook to show the desktop site on mobile? I guess that would be the only way to still send messages on facebook anymore .

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I havent had an active phone plan since like 2015 and i suspect most windows phone users dont either.
:thunk: Why would you think 50%+ of people with Windows Phones are using them actively but without cell service?
Marketshare was 0.2% in Q4 2016, so... at this point, you and whoever is using a WP without a plan are essentially the only people left.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It took me a few hours of installing apps and playing around with Launcher 10 to go from a diehard Windows Phone user to being fully on board the "just buy a loving Android" train.

At this point, the answer to any Windows Phone query is "just buy a loving Android".

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I havent had an active phone plan since like 2015 and i suspect most windows phone users dont either.

To be fair those numbers were worldwide % of new sales. Looking other places it appears that the worldwide percentage in use is higher around .5%. Many territories had up to 15% marketshare a few years ago so it makes sense there still are some phones in circulation but no more sales of devices.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

At this point, the answer to any Windows Phone query is "just buy a loving Android".

iPhones are fine too.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sure, but since live tiles were a major reason I didn't want to switch, being able to swap out the launcher was an enormous help.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Swap on I guess

Since the live tiles also worked like rear end half the time I am content with notification or force touch on an icon with the iPhone - 10000% sold on this for the set and forget it behavior I really liked with Winpho .

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I'm so glad none of my friends remember when I used to swear up and down the WP would get like 25% market share, because that would be embarrassing.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Hope lasts forever.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/02/18/microsoft-foldable-surface-phone-andromeda-evidence/

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

I'm so glad none of my friends remember when I used to swear up and down the WP would get like 25% market share, because that would be embarrassing.

You're not the only one, WP really looked like it had a chance at the launch of WP7. Android had just crossed over from being totally janky 2 years earlier and WinPho had a pretty compelling experience. I think most of us thought WP's sweet spot was replacing BlackBerry which had +10% at the time and stopping the rise of Android past 50%.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Bought my wife a Moto E plus for Christmas to replace her 640XL.

She still on the WinPho

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Stick100 posted:

You're not the only one, WP really looked like it had a chance at the launch of WP7. Android had just crossed over from being totally janky 2 years earlier and WinPho had a pretty compelling experience. I think most of us thought WP's sweet spot was replacing BlackBerry which had +10% at the time and stopping the rise of Android past 50%.

My Lumia 800 was the silkiest phone UX I've ever used. The animations and fluidity were delightful and it's a pity the development of the platform was glacial.

When I switched back to Android in July 2014 I was embarrassed how much further behind WP had become in the 2 years since I'd left Android.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Lumia is back for purchase, apparently:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/26/17054324/microsoft-lumia-windows-phones-store-sales

MS site says not available so who knows, maybe it's just another bait and switch for old time's sake.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mr Funkface posted:

Lumia is back for purchase, apparently:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/26/17054324/microsoft-lumia-windows-phones-store-sales

MS site says not available so who knows, maybe it's just another bait and switch for old time's sake.

"oh poo poo we found a pallet of phones in the warehouse guys"

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

drat straight - they should send the boys to take you to the funny farm if you spend $450 on a lumia in 2018.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can I get a warranty replacement then?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have a broken screen on my 950 XL and was referred to the one repair center that would fix it for $250 or something so uh ... glhf

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Fiddy bux fire sale or no dice.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My Lumia 950 just started going black if I try to do almost anything on it while off the charger (and sometimes while on it). Is that a defective battery? I ordered one through Amazon but it won't get here until Tuesday.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

My Lumia 950 just started going black if I try to do almost anything on it while off the charger (and sometimes while on it). Is that a defective battery? I ordered one through Amazon but it won't get here until Tuesday.

Got here a little early, it fixed everything and even some bugs I was having. Wow. No wonder Apple neutered their old phones with bad batteries. Meanwhile my 5 year old HTC 8X still works.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Yeah, I assume that a bad battery was what was causing stability issues with my 950 XL. However instead of buying a replacement battery, I used the money towards buying a Galaxy S8 Active.

While I have more or less gotten used to Android after sidestepping most of the Samsung bloat, one thing I've only now realized is how limited Cortana is on Android particularly when it comes to sending texts. The texting feature is great to use while driving since I can use it completely through voice control. The first time I try to send a text through Cortana on Android, I get a prompt to select a contact even though I used the voice command and included the contact's name. So I select the prompt only to be greeted by Android's contact list with no voice commands and I think to myself that this may not be very safe to use while driving. I very carefully find my contact and select it and then I'm finally greeted with a prompt to enter my message again with no voice commands except for the keyboard's dictation mode at which point I just gave up and continued driving.

Not a complete deal breaker since I don't use it very often but it is really useful when I get texts while driving. But boy is using Cortana on Android like this really unsafe for driving and quite cumbersome otherwise.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Edward IV posted:

Yeah, I assume that a bad battery was what was causing stability issues with my 950 XL. However instead of buying a replacement battery, I used the money towards buying a Galaxy S8 Active.

While I have more or less gotten used to Android after sidestepping most of the Samsung bloat, one thing I've only now realized is how limited Cortana is on Android particularly when it comes to sending texts. The texting feature is great to use while driving since I can use it completely through voice control. The first time I try to send a text through Cortana on Android, I get a prompt to select a contact even though I used the voice command and included the contact's name. So I select the prompt only to be greeted by Android's contact list with no voice commands and I think to myself that this may not be very safe to use while driving. I very carefully find my contact and select it and then I'm finally greeted with a prompt to enter my message again with no voice commands except for the keyboard's dictation mode at which point I just gave up and continued driving.

Not a complete deal breaker since I don't use it very often but it is really useful when I get texts while driving. But boy is using Cortana on Android like this really unsafe for driving and quite cumbersome otherwise.

Yeah, this is at least equally bad on iOS as well, I just assumed this was an iOS limitation, but apparently not. Still somehow generally better than Siri though :(

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Edward IV posted:

This is pretty recent https://www.windowscentral.com/cortana-now-lets-you-start-calls-and-send-texts-your-voice-android.

I finally gave up on Cortana and started using GA. Maybe I'll give it another shot, I also believe Cortana is built into Arrow Microsoft Launcher now.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 31, 2018

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna grab a Nokia 7 plus as soon as I can get my hands on one, so yeah I'd really like Cortana to work as well as WP. I had an iPhone for about a week last year and didn't like it so I returned it.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Wish I could find my 920, I loved the being able to download the maps

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

joebuddah posted:

Wish I could find my 920, I loved the being able to download the maps

Here we go is here drive with a different name. It lets you download maps still

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Charles posted:

Got here a little early, it fixed everything and even some bugs I was having. Wow. No wonder Apple neutered their old phones with bad batteries. Meanwhile my 5 year old HTC 8X still works.

Can I get a heads-up on which you ordered? Going through the Amazon reviews the batteries seem a little hit and miss. My 950 is acting up, shedding juice, and shutting down.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr Funkface posted:

Can I get a heads-up on which you ordered? Going through the Amazon reviews the batteries seem a little hit and miss. My 950 is acting up, shedding juice, and shutting down.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1OCXB9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was this one.

How hard is it to mail a lithium ion battery? I am going to return my 950 this week. I really wanted my money back instead of a store credit, but doesn't seem like even if I bitch a lot it will happen.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Charles posted:

How hard is it to mail a lithium ion battery?

Why, what's the problem? Did it not arrive, was it broken when you got it? Did it just not work? Need info before I get one myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr Funkface posted:

Why, what's the problem? Did it not arrive, was it broken when you got it? Did it just not work? Need info before I get one myself.

If I wanted to send it to you, as I will no longer have the phone shortly.