Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Samsung unfurled a banner to celebrate a new state-of-the-art factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

That sure is an unfurled banner.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
It's upside down. That is the joke.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

https://i.imgur.com/N5RCAkf.mp4

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Oh it is, whoops.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
What is going on with those two fish?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Jamfrost posted:

What is going on with those two fish?

One is trying to build a nest/living area under a rock, and the other is being a huge dick and spitting sand back into the hole the other is digging.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Gorilla Salad posted:

Don't worry guys, Trump's got this (crosspost from Hottest Take thread):

This may well be the least believable bullshit that has ever come out of his mouth.
[/quote]

He and Mark Wahlberg can't be everywhere all the time

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

Samsung, its banners unfurled

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

SpacePig posted:

Maybe the factory is in australia?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
All banners unfurl upside down in the souther hemisphere, due to the cornhiolus effect.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://i.imgur.com/FeAweTI.gifv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zr6pd-tceo

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 08:38 on Feb 27, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/hFNtkmW.mp4

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 13:46 on Feb 27, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/DHo8CSR.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/IYTrlK4.mp4

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 14:04 on Feb 27, 2018

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

I feel like this is a case of, "they can both be wrong." Moore's statement is stupid and reductive (par for the course), but behind it there's a true, important statement: (virtually) all of these mass shootings are committed by men who are literally insane with toxic masculinity. It's not that being a man (or not being a woman) causes shootings. It's being a creep with weird ideas about what it means to be man that causes shootings. Or, is at least one cause.

I get what she's going for here, but it seems like she sprung this preconceived rant on a loud-mouth goober and it just makes them both look like hair-splitting dumbasses.

Schadenkontent: Bitcoin :airquote: mogul :mogul: being sued by other idiots for stealing their Monopoly Money.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/27/bitcoin-creator-craig-wright-accused-of-stealing-cryptocurrency-from-colleague.html

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Icon Of Sin posted:

One is trying to build a nest/living area under a rock, and the other is being a huge dick and spitting sand back into the hole the other is digging.

you shouldn't be so quick to judge, we don't know the whole story. maybe that other fish has autism

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

baw posted:

you shouldn't be so quick to judge, we don't know the whole story. maybe that other fish has autism

Afishstick

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Railing Kill posted:

I feel like this is a case of, "they can both be wrong." Moore's statement is stupid and reductive (par for the course), but behind it there's a true, important statement: (virtually) all of these mass shootings are committed by men who are literally insane with toxic masculinity. It's not that being a man (or not being a woman) causes shootings. It's being a creep with weird ideas about what it means to be man that causes shootings. Or, is at least one cause.

I get what she's going for here, but it seems like she sprung this preconceived rant on a loud-mouth goober and it just makes them both look like hair-splitting dumbasses.

Schadenkontent: Bitcoin :airquote: mogul :mogul: being sued by other idiots for stealing their Monopoly Money.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/27/bitcoin-creator-craig-wright-accused-of-stealing-cryptocurrency-from-colleague.html

was this post intended irony?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Railing Kill posted:

"No women ever invented an atomic bomb, built a smoke stack, initiated a Holocaust, melted the polar ice caps..." is the first part of his statement. If he only mentioned mass shootings he might have a point but c'mon. This is some really dumb poo poo.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

kazil posted:

"No women ever invented an atomic bomb, built a smoke stack, initiated a Holocaust, melted the polar ice caps..." is the first part of his statement. If he only mentioned mass shootings he might have a point but c'mon. This is some really dumb poo poo.

Sure. He's way stupider, but her response misses the point of his post while going to great lengths to dunk on someone we all already know is a moron. It just seemed like an overreation, even if the response was justified, like punching an autistic guy for kicking your kid.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I mean, she might have a good overall point, but on this single point she is only very technically wrong in a way that's sort of out of the purview of the guy's original statement, so she's a pretty big idiot too. How embarrassing for her.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Railing Kill posted:

Sure. He's way stupider, but her response misses the point of his post while going to great lengths to dunk on someone we all already know is a moron. It just seemed like an overreation, even if the response was justified, like punching an autistic guy for kicking your kid.

I disagree

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Railing Kill posted:

There are millions of people (including a lot of goons) who haven't yet realized that Michael Moore isn't actually a genius.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

Railing Kill posted:

(virtually) all of these mass shootings are committed by men who are literally insane with toxic masculinity.

:what:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Not to mention that misogynists use 'women are pure and good' to justify 'women are incapable of human complexity, women are like dogs' OR 'women are all evil sirens tricking us men into thinking they're all pure and good'. The statement he made is not one that goes good places.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Kids vs animals (animals win)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjMVtGsFULk

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Moore's statement was stupid, and I liked that she called him on it, but then she had to go to keep going and ended up sounding as insufferable as Moore is. An Ouroboros of 'ugh'.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm pretty sure the Sun was discovered by a women, too. At the time all the men were like ...what IS that? and she was "guys I think it's Hydrogen?" and they replied "WHO LET A WOMEN IN HERE!?"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That Beetle took a deer strike better than I see trucks take one.

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.

enigmahfc posted:

Moore's statement was stupid, and I liked that she called him on it, but then she had to go to keep going and ended up sounding as insufferable as Moore is. An Ouroboros of 'ugh'.

What the gently caress are you talking about? She refuted ever single point he made, addressed why he was wrong headed and gave a clear explanation of why. You are insufferable.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

iospace posted:

That Beetle took a deer strike better than I see trucks take one.

That dashcam is powered by Gamebryo

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016

Can't decide who I like more: the guy who's so sick of life that he just grimaces while spraying himself with soda, or the crowd reacting like he just took a cobra out of his pocket.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

enigmahfc posted:

I think part of her sounding insufferable is the Twitter format itself. A longer, more concise response would have gotten her point across, but with the character limit it looks like "but, but look at this [insert image]" over and over like she couldn't drop it. I can't wait for Twitter to die.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tip Shades posted:

Can't decide who I like more: the guy who's so sick of life that he just grimaces while spraying himself with soda, or the crowd reacting like he just took a cobra out of his pocket.

At least half of the hilarious kiss cam bloopers are hired actors doing it intentionally

Same deal with the crazy stories in radio call-in shows, chance-in-a-million youtube things, etc

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

At least half of the hilarious kiss cam bloopers are hired actors doing it intentionally

Same deal with the crazy stories in radio call-in shows, chance-in-a-million youtube things, etc

You mean Klunssila didn't get gonorrhea of the nose from a Russian prostitute :wth:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Celebrated 'food scientist' at Cornell, Brian Wansink, has been facing criticism for a while now about his shoddy research practices. Basically what he's been doing, instead of starting with a hypothesis and coming up with an experiment to test it, is just taking a bunch of different data and mashing it all together in different ways to look for anything interesting. This is also known as p-hacking, and it is absolutely guaranteed to yield a bunch of results that meet requirements for statistical significance, but which are also purely coincidental and don't actually tell you anything about anything.

Here's an example of how utterly fictitious outcomes can be presented as significant if you make the right choices with your data set:

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797611417632

Anyway, Wansink's research (and I use that term loosely) has been presented on many magazine covers, on television, in the NYT, etc. He at one point was the director of the USDA's center for nutrition policy.

Once his techniques came to light (thanks due to his own blog postings, indicating he really didn't even see anything wrong with what he was doing), people started poring over his past publications. He's already had *five* papers retracted, and another 14 have had major corrections issued , and a few of those have been so profound I can't figure out why they weren't just pulled altogether, like this one:

https://twitter.com/Research_Tim/status/959726101412175872

"Oh, all the data in our tables was wrong, a third of the data had easily detectable errors, and oh yeah, the kids in the study group were actually 5 years younger than we thought they were, so they couldn't actually even have read the stuff we said they were reading."

Anyway again, a bunch of emails between him and other researchers have come to light. The contents are...not good for him.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemlee/brian-wansink-cornell-p-hacking

Guy's a hack. He's going down. Peer review is broken.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Pull up, thread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgkD1scIkKw

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Phanatic posted:

Celebrated 'food scientist' at Cornell, Brian Wansink, has been facing criticism for a while now about his shoddy research practices. Basically what he's been doing, instead of starting with a hypothesis and coming up with an experiment to test it, is just taking a bunch of different data and mashing it all together in different ways to look for anything interesting. This is also known as p-hacking, and it is absolutely guaranteed to yield a bunch of results that meet requirements for statistical significance, but which are also purely coincidental and don't actually tell you anything about anything.

I accused a Russian guy of p-hacking and the secret service paid me a visit

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Devor posted:

I accused a Russian guy of p-hacking and the secret service paid me a visit

the p hacking tape is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

You are doing God's work