Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Hazo posted:

:ohdear: Are they replacing them with a new batch or just pulling classic MST3k entirely?
No idea, the "coming and going" monthly articles don't start popping up for at least another week, and if I remember correctly, this collection was meant to tide people over just before season 11 premiered. We'll see, unless I stop being lazy/cheap and get hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I doubt old MST3K episodes are getting/keeping people subscribed, what with them all being available on YouTube.

Apr 23, 2002
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. Wait...

precision posted:

I doubt old MST3K episodes are getting/keeping people subscribed, what with them all being available on YouTube.

I will 100% understand when the day comes that all of those twenty year old vhs dubs get yanked off YouTube, I get it, but it will still be a sad day.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

255 posted:

I will 100% understand when the day comes that all of those twenty year old vhs dubs get yanked off YouTube, I get it, but it will still be a sad day.

I don't think Joel would do that so it's gonna be like 20-30 years from now and the series will be dead anyway?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, it's kind of weird that all the online stuff (Hulu and VHX) show Operation Double 007 as Operation Kid Brother. Also on Hulu the screengrab for the episode has a Comedy Central logo in the corner (at least on the Fire Stick.)

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

I don't think Joel would do that so it's gonna be like 20-30 years from now and the series will be dead anyway?

I don’t think it’s up to Joel as much as it is up to how much Shout Factory wants to go after the uploaders.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure if anyone was gonna try to take the show off Youtube it would have happened by now. I mean it's not like they're hidden in any way, they're like the easiest thing in the world to find.

In fact what I could see happening is Youtube themselves taking them down and then Joel and everyone saying "we didn't do it, we were fine with it"

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

muscles like this! posted:

You know, it's kind of weird that all the online stuff (Hulu and VHX) show Operation Double 007 as Operation Kid Brother. Also on Hulu the screengrab for the episode has a Comedy Central logo in the corner (at least on the Fire Stick.)
I’m guessing there was some kind of licensing issue where they could get the Kid Brother name but not the Double 007. Or the Bond rights holders were being menacing about it.

Either way, I’m pretty sure the DVD was released as Kid Brother as well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure if anyone was gonna try to take the show off Youtube it would have happened by now. I mean it's not like they're hidden in any way, they're like the easiest thing in the world to find.

In fact what I could see happening is Youtube themselves taking them down and then Joel and everyone saying "we didn't do it, we were fine with it"

Only way I could see it happening is if things changed somehow. Like if the people holding the rights for the movies they riffed were able and willing to do takedowns. Like you said, Shout/Joel have been fine with it until now. It really does fit nicely into the "indie broadcast traded on VHS tapes" origins of the show.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Also, Keep Circulating the Tapes Aside, MSTies generally seem pretty cool with spending money on official versions as they are made available. It acts more as free advertising than as easy piracy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It would be kind of hilarious if Penn Gilette filed a takedown complaint :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Trace has said in interviews that he doesn't really like the "Keep circulating the tapes" catchphrase anymore, because he needs people to buy the DVDs for him to actually get paid, and I don't begrudge him that at all, but I hope they stay on Youtube. It's nice to be able to pull up one you haven't thought about in awhile and watch it. I have my favorite standbys on DVD, but the internet getting good at video made all of the tapes circulate forever, and that makes me happy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, as said, MST fans seem to buy legal copies in big numbers. I seriously doubt sales would substantially increase if they were off Youtube.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm just trying to justify buying this for $300.

https://mst3k.vhx.tv/products/mst3k-the-classic-collection

It's 87 episodes, which works out to about $3.50 an episode. Trying to get MST3k on DVD just seems like a hassle now, and I have a NAS with Kodi for a reason.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IUG posted:

It's 87 episodes, which works out to about $3.50 an episode. Trying to get MST3k on DVD just seems like a hassle now, and I have a NAS with Kodi for a reason.

Is that site legit? I'm not saying it isn't, but I can't see anything that shows it is.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Is that site legit? I'm not saying it isn't, but I can't see anything that shows it is.

I think it's the platform for distributing backer rewards or something? It lists most of the options as $999,999 when I try to browse through it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IUG posted:

I'm like 99% certain those are the exact episodes that the Pluto channel shows.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

precision posted:

That vast majority are. There's maybe 5 in that list I can't recall being on the Pluto channel.

Pumaman
Giant Gila Monster
Operation Kid Brother
Hercules
Devil Doll (maybe)

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 21, 2018

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

I think it's the platform for distributing backer rewards or something? It lists most of the options as $999,999 when I try to browse through it.
It is. If you got episodes through the kickstarter that's where you get them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

precision posted:

That was all the episodes that Best Brains had digital distribution rights to at the time of the kickstarter. I don't think the list has changed much since then, so it would be the list that pluto, shout tv, rifftrax, etc have to pick from for which they want to sell/show.

Also, I bought that collection during the kickstarter and put all the eps on my nas, it's very handy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Proteus Jones posted:

That vast majority are. There's maybe 5 in that list I can't recall being on the Pluto channel.

Pumaman
Giant Gila Monster
Operation Kid Brother
Hercules
Devil Doll (maybe)

They showed Devil Doll just a couple days ago! The one I'm not sure about is Sidehackers, haven't seen it on there.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

precision posted:

Maybe, but I'd be buying them to help pay for them, for the years I used to watch the show. (I don't know about Pluto, but I imagine there's ads, and I would like to do without those. Or watch whichever episodes whenever I want.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IUG posted:

Maybe, but I'd be buying them to help pay for them, for the years I used to watch the show. (I don't know about Pluto, but I imagine there's ads, and I would like to do without those. Or watch whichever episodes whenever I want.)

Oh I know, I was just making an observation :)

One of my greatest life regrets is that when I moved back in 2005 I lost three literal garbage bags full of MST3K VHS tapes, most of them original airings.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rifftrax announced this year's live shows and one of the movies they're doing is a redo of Space Mutiny (the other one is Krull.)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Rifftrax announced this year's live shows and one of the movies they're doing is a redo of Space Mutiny (the other one is Krull.)

And if you have more money than sense, you get to make up a new name for Slab Bulkhead.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Looks like Netflix is just swapping around the old episodes they have, not removing them completely.

https://twitter.com/ShoutFactory/status/966483000782331904

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Netflix, are you running out of hard drive space? Why wouldn't you just put more on your service? (Rhetorical question.)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Back into the Disney Vault they go.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

:swoon:

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Was just remembering the riff from Manos where Torgo says to Margaret, "dOn'T WoRrY MaDaM, I'lL PrOtEcT YoU" and Joel absolutely deadpans, "'Cause there's some weird people around here."

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

HMS Beagle posted:

Looks like Netflix is just swapping around the old episodes they have, not removing them completely.

https://twitter.com/ShoutFactory/status/966483000782331904

:dance: Best news I’ve heard all day

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

*Looks wistfully at my DVD copy of Krull*

Yeah, that's a solid choice.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Attending a live riff of Space Mutiny is probably gonna be like attending a screening of Rocky Horror Picture Show. It’s likely everyone attending will have seen that episode 50 times and will be parroting the jokes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Foppish Yet Dashing posted:

Attending a live riff of Space Mutiny is probably gonna be like attending a screening of Rocky Horror Picture Show. It’s likely everyone attending will have seen that episode 50 times and will be parroting the jokes.

You'd think that about Eegah! though, and like, there was a little bit of tongue-in-cheek "The MST3K brand encourages you to laugh at these Watch Out for Snakes (TM) brand jokes!" but it was mostly just an all new riff, and thus a completely different show.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Every time they've reriffed a movie that MST3K did they've been pretty good about not reusing jokes.

It's not just a live performance of the original show.

Fezz fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 3, 2018

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"Hey, she's dead!"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"Hey, she's dead!"

Sir, it was very nice of you to give that dead woman another chance.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Sir, it was very nice of you to give that dead woman another chance.

Will it be as subtle as an Annie Sprinkle performance piece?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Will it be as subtle as an Annie Sprinkle performance piece?

I dunno, did you sign Sherry's card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
“They located the captain”

Two words... closed casket