Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's a museum memorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Count Roland posted:

Well that is loving terrifying: what's the story there?

pol pot

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

It's a museum memorial.

Yeah, located on the former site of the S21 prison in Phomn Penh. I forget if the skulls came from the yard or the killing field located a few kilometers away.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Specifically, this museum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuol_Sleng_Genocide_Museum

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Count Roland posted:

Well that is loving terrifying: what's the story there?

a necessary sacrifice to defeat imperialism

full communism now am i right dnd goons??

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Khmer Rouge were defeated by communist Vietnam, against the wishes of the imperialist US, British and Chinese governments.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

the same "full communism" propped up by thatcher and reagan and opposed by its communist neighbours, sure

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/imgur/status/967183917911482370

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

im the climate of China.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

im the climate of China.
Everyone knows the Gobi Desert is the same as Hong Kong.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I suppose “Eastern Europe” describes the landscape between France and Mongolia

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

im the climate of China.

Would it be more accurate if they put Canton?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Diqnol posted:

Would it be more accurate if they put Canton?

No! Urumqi Harbin Lhasa and Kunming all have the same climate, I want to believe!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Mexico is just like India.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kennel posted:

Mexico is just like India.

That seems like one of the less egregious ones to me. At least Mexico and India both have a wide range of climates.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Also both are full of indians

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Carbon dioxide posted:

im the climate of China.

The dumb map does have barely readable city labels for most of the countries at least.

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

I went to Tuol Sleng last year and somehow missed this specific piece. :stonk:

Admittedly, it's pretty tough emotionally to see all the horrors in that museum.

Edit: For some content, here is a picture of Khmer Krom, sometimes known in the west as Cochinchina.

Over a million ethnic Khmer still live in the area, which was conquered from the Khmer Empire by the Vietnamese during the 18th century. Unsurprisingly, there are still some revanchist Cambodians who want to take the area back. The Khmer Krom are recognized by the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization.

The Cham, whom someone mentioned, lived north of this area, roughly from Da Nang down to Nha Trang as shown in the map above.

Shibby0709 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 24, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

fishmech posted:

The dumb map does have barely readable city labels for most of the countries at least.

Bad map is bad. It was made by morons for morons.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Taiwan is now part of mainland China!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mass murder is bad just my opinion.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you shouldn't limit yourself like that

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arglebargle III posted:

agreed tbqh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a politically loaded map.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Preach it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-MA1jmU40

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

but if i was a mass murderer, I'd be mickey & mallory

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'd be Lenin and Stalin

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'd be the Invisible Hand because it's a cool-rear end murder name and Capitalism is the loving worst.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Get biblical and just be Greed.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

sebzilla posted:

I'd be the Invisible Hand because it's a cool-rear end murder name and Capitalism is the loving worst.

Orange Devil posted:

Where's the difference?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The ski resort I live in defintiely has the same climate as the UK and Ireland.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

fishmech posted:

I missed that, I thought they were the real cities. That part is actually interesting, too bad the labels are barely legible even when enlarged. Like, Loredo has the same climate as New Delhi? That's surprising to me, if it's accurate.

What the hell is the point of adding "Mongolia" and "Taiwan" instead of lumping both under Russia and China? It's not like either of those countries has a climate that isn't already in Russia or PRC. It looks like the map maker started to go to some effort, and then was like "gently caress, so much map left to color, let's just fill out the rest with large countries. Bam Japan Russia China India done."

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Saladman posted:

I missed that, I thought they were the real cities. That part is actually interesting, too bad the labels are barely legible even when enlarged. Like, Loredo has the same climate as New Delhi? That's surprising to me, if it's accurate.

What the hell is the point of adding "Mongolia" and "Taiwan" instead of lumping both under Russia and China? It's not like either of those countries has a climate that isn't already in Russia or PRC. It looks like the map maker started to go to some effort, and then was like "gently caress, so much map left to color, let's just fill out the rest with large countries. Bam Japan Russia China India done."

counterpoint: given how often terrible maps itt forget about hainan island, why not include taiwan

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Orange Devil posted:

*Avarice

:goonsay:

(or, historically, from a fourth-century dude writing in Greek, literally Φιλαργυρία (philargyria), or "the love of silver", which is funny to me)

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/HaukLandsverk/s...90%7Ctwterm%5E0

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/967839844281077760

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The U.S. owns outer space.

Checks out.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Abstract concept, you've done it again :argh:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Current linguistic map of Australia

Aboriginal tribes of Australia

(sorry for the bad text... click link for huge).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
drat that is a lot of Aboriginal languages. It'd be cool if they colored them based on mutual intelligibility, but that probably requires more knowledge about the languages than almost anyone has.

Also was the continent really that populated by Aborigines (re: lower map)? I would have expected far more 'empty zones', like the first map but maybe even more so. It looks like they tried to just make sure the second map was 100% dense though. It's also weird that they don't have any overlaps in either maps, which also doesn't seem very accurate.

Also "Murrinh Nangikurrnunggurr" sounds like someone's cat was walking across the keyboard (top, center-left). (E: and if you think that's a ethnocentric / language-centric thing to say, then you've obviously never had a cat walk across your keyboard.)

Saladman fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 27, 2018