Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Barry posted:

I just noticed she was perma-banned. RIP indeed.

Short and sweet: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/80d72j/helping_my_mom_keep_her_house/

At least everyone is saying she needs to sell the house, which is pretty much the only option, unless the son/daughter is will to subsidize her payments. Renting out a house seems like a bad idea unless Mom can afford to make her own repairs and deal with the general upkeep and hassle of renting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Living way out in the sticks earning a good income with near zero expenses is miningtown.txt

There's a reason all the guys out there buy expensive motorcycles/boats/guns/guitars/ATVs/trucks/etc. What else are you going to do out there in the kind of place that has a two screen movie theater just two hours down the highway? (I lived in a place like that for a summer and it was rad as hell. A+ would recommend)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why not just use the $100,000 life insurance payout as a down payment to refinance the rest of the mortgage. Even at 5% a 15-year loan on the $70,000 balance would only be $554/month which should be doable.

E: oh well unless she needs to retire sooner than 15 years from now, but a 10-year mortgage would still just be $742

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

What an interesting and different perspective.

I don't know that it's super bad with money, though. Like buying a bunch of dumb stuff is dumb but he seems to want to pay cash.

I’m more confused by him saying his Volvo gets hosed up by the bad roads. Are the Volvo XC series more lip service to softroading than other brands?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’m more confused by him saying his Volvo gets hosed up by the bad roads. Are the Volvo XC series more lip service to softroading than other brands?

It's fine on a normal maintained dirt road like in the Northeast, South, Midwest, etc but if you're out in the type of place that he is, dirt roads are going to be rough and it's body-on-frame vehicle time.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I didn’t know that. I always took my Subaru (RIP) up two-tracks and rocky forest service roads without worry, although obviously if there was a big rock in the road or something like that I went around it or put my wheel over it because I’m not an idiot. I didn’t realize the unibody construction would be an issue.

Does that mean the new F-150s are screwed too, or are they specially made?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The new F150 is still BOF

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I thought you were wrong, but looking around I guess the whole hubbub about it was people not realizing the article in question was an April Fools Day joke and it spread all over the place secondhand.

I know you were some sort of vehicle inspection guy in a past life, but I’m skeptical that unibody is a serious problem in anything but extreme off-roading. As in giant boulders and going over tree trunks. Plenty of people doing stuff short of that in unibody SUVs.

I’m biased being from CO. Everybody from a warm state comes here and thinks they need a giant truck with duallies for the snow or to go into the mountains.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Gws and ai in the same day, we're doing our own mini forums tour right here

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/80feu1/car_payment_is_stopping_me_from_getting_my_own/

quote:

So I have a $570 car payment every month. I live rent free with my uncle and all I have to pay is the electric bill. I want to get my own place as soon as possible but this car payment is really dragging me down.

My dad and I co-signed on the car in the summer of 2017 because he said it was a good deal (he's a car salesman so go figure) and that it would help me build credit. Well since then I had to take another job that pays a lot less, along with taking on a few extra bills that I didn't expect to have.

A few months ago I told him that I was having trouble making the payments and that I have had to dip into my savings on more than one occation and that kills me. I asked him if I could trade it in or sell it back and he said that I would end up owing just as much as I do now anyways. He told me that I should refinance my car with my SO because we both have better credit than he does. That way I would have about a hundred taken off the monthly payment.

We were about to do that about a week ago and dad calls me and says that he is going to file for bankrupsy soon and to take him off as co-owner asap so that it doesn't hurt my credit.

Explaining this who debacle to my mother (they're seperated) she asks "Why don't you just take your name off the car and leave your father's name on it. That way you can get rid of it and get a cheaper car". Dad says I can't do that without having the car paid off first.

The reason I've turned to r/personalfinance is because both of my parents aren't doing very well in life and since I don't know any better, every time they tell me I should do something, I usually believe them (they are very persuasive). So what should I do? Refinance the car and still pay around $400 a month for this car? Or should I try to get rid of it somehow?

Edit: I make about 20k a year (this will go up soon because I will start working full time after this semester) and my SO makes about 15k. The interest rate on the car right now is 12.69. And the principal balance on the car is $25,587.

Yeah, dad, this was such a "good deal".

I really feel bad for this guy getting taken advantage of by his own extremely BWM father like this :smith:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Guinness posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/80feu1/car_payment_is_stopping_me_from_getting_my_own/

I really feel bad for this guy getting taken advantage of by his own extremely BWM father like this :smith:

Dad thought it was a was a good deal because they were giving him a loan, and he has taken every loan he has ever been offered.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I thought you were wrong, but looking around I guess the whole hubbub about it was people not realizing the article in question was an April Fools Day joke and it spread all over the place secondhand.

I know you were some sort of vehicle inspection guy in a past life, but I’m skeptical that unibody is a serious problem in anything but extreme off-roading. As in giant boulders and going over tree trunks. Plenty of people doing stuff short of that in unibody SUVs.

I’m biased being from CO. Everybody from a warm state comes here and thinks they need a giant truck with duallies for the snow or to go into the mountains.

If the dude is ranching he is literally driving on dirt roads or no roads over half of the time, thats a pretty different use case than fuckface mc idiot driving to Eagle

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Guinness posted:

drat near $26k in principal for a "lower end" Hyundai Tucson, lmbo. Even if you decide to do the ultra-moronic thing and buy a brand new car; why buy such a piece of poo poo? And for so much?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is buying a brand new car really moronic? Seems more along the lines of "first class plane ticket" or "renting apartment with extra bedroom" than it does "Horse wedding" or "Money bonfire"

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It's not a great decision financially.

The "ideal value" for a car is 2 or 3 years old, because most of the really extreme depreciation is gone, but the car is still probably in pretty good shape and so the cost of ownership hasn't jacked up yet.

Of course it goes without saying DON'T BUY A USED RENTAL.

Actually as I'm reading more about this, it sounds like probably any car built after 2012 (new safety features) is going to have low total cost of ownership and depreciation is going to be more than the cost of operation every year.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/what-is-the-best-age-and-mileage-for-a-used-car

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 27, 2018

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Anything beyond living in someone else's spare closet and eating out of a bakery dumpster is a financially suboptimal luxury according to many posters itt.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

hailthefish posted:

Anything beyond living in someone else's spare closet and eating out of a bakery dumpster is a financially suboptimal luxury according to many posters itt.

Once you make $100,001 you can go ahead and splurge though.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is buying a brand new car really moronic? Seems more along the lines of "first class plane ticket" or "renting apartment with extra bedroom" than it does "Horse wedding" or "Money bonfire"

He makes 20k, a new car is definitely an unaffordable luxury. Spending around 1/3 of your monthly income on a car qualifies for money bonfire.

Mediocre car BWM makes me sad, like when someone “splurges” on something boring like this Tucson. You can lease a decent Civic/Corolla for less than $200 a month. If you must buy there are plenty of lightly used Hondas/Toyotas out there.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Meh if you're buying an econobox, the price difference might not be worth the peace of mind the warranty brings. The delta between used and new cars is not nearly as high as it used to be, and the interest rates are significantly higher on used cars.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, yes, this particular situation where someone spent a bunch of money they don't have to buy a brand new 'meh' car is definitely dumb as hell, but you know how this thread gets sometimes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If the dude is ranching he is literally driving on dirt roads or no roads over half of the time, thats a pretty different use case than fuckface mc idiot driving to Eagle

I was just saying that I have kind of a kneejerk reaction to people saying they need a truck unless they immediately follow it with "to haul a bunch of poo poo."

I was under the impression he was doing forestry, so living in a region with poor roads but driving agency vehicles for work. If he's actually ranching and driving across fields regularly, fair point.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My wife's much younger cousin has been living with us and driving a shitbox Nissan her father, who sells cars for a living, somehow sold her for $5k. Being a shitbox, she recently discovered it's burnt up all it's oil at the same time she took a promotion that doubles, if not triples her commute. So the car issue is pretty fresh in our discussions.

She SHOULD buy a 4 or 5 year old car, but financing that might be a problem. She's also going to put a lot of miles on the car between work and school and needs something reliable with a warranty. So it can pay to go new. She should get a base model Mazda 3 that will take up about 40% of her income increase with this new position. What she will probably buy is a Ford Mustang, because no 21 year old has ever purchased a reasonable car and then she will never ever move out of my house.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

John Smith posted:

Order a big bundled meal set, eat what you feel comfortable with, and then store the rest for subsequent meals.

Easy, convenient, and cheap-ish on a per-unit basis. Why not? $10 per meal seems good.

Space Gopher posted:

Of all the posters who'd pull the Lucille Bluth "how much could a banana worknight meal cost, ten dollars?" routine, it'd have to be you, wouldn't it?
What are you being butthurt for? The posters here at BFC are quite well-off and since FrozenVent can afford it, why are you so annoyed what someone else is spending his money on? Worried that he is making under 100k annually?

I myself average around $9.68 across all meals for CY2017.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

My wife's much younger cousin has been living with us and driving a shitbox Nissan her father, who sells cars for a living, somehow sold her for $5k. Being a shitbox, she recently discovered it's burnt up all it's oil at the same time she took a promotion that doubles, if not triples her commute. So the car issue is pretty fresh in our discussions.

She SHOULD buy a 4 or 5 year old car, but financing that might be a problem. She's also going to put a lot of miles on the car between work and school and needs something reliable with a warranty. So it can pay to go new. She should get a base model Mazda 3 that will take up about 40% of her income increase with this new position. What she will probably buy is a Ford Mustang, because no 21 year old has ever purchased a reasonable car and then she will never ever move out of my house.

I can vouch for the Mazda3, it is fun, comfy, and great on gas. With a commute like that she needs a Mustang like she needs a hole in her head.

Have you made plans for where/how you will dispose of her body when she comes home with a pony car?

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

John Smith posted:

What are you being butthurt for? The posters here at BFC are quite well-off and since FrozenVent can afford it, why are you so annoyed what someone else is spending his money on? Worried that he is making under 100k annually?

No one gives a gently caress about your self posting in this thread. Never have, never will.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Meh if you're buying an econobox, the price difference might not be worth the peace of mind the warranty brings. The delta between used and new cars is not nearly as high as it used to be, and the interest rates are significantly higher on used cars.

It really really depends upon the specific car, for mass production economy sedans yeah the depreciation curve has become extremely linear. The Honda Fit is the best example of this that I am aware of.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Jesus, no, she can definitely finance a late model used car.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

John Smith posted:

Wait is that all meals out, or all meals? Do you just not cook?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

therobit posted:

If you don't engage him maybe he'll go away

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

please knock Mom! posted:

If you don't engage him maybe he'll go away

Awwww, look at you.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's fine on a normal maintained dirt road like in the Northeast, South, Midwest, etc but if you're out in the type of place that he is, dirt roads are going to be rough and it's body-on-frame vehicle time.

Also every single Volvo XC replacement part costs [comparable old pickup truck part + $1,000], so it's not a car you really want to beat the poo poo out of

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

howdoesishotweb posted:

No one gives a gently caress about your self posting in this thread. Never have, never will.
Then why are you engaging me? You ever considered being more self-aware?

therobit posted:

I rarely cook my own meals. Negligible.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It can depend. Depending on her credit and any financing deals, it can be hit or miss which option is better. Definitely something to consider, but I get wet for manufacturer warranties so that's always going to be my preference.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Put John Smith on ignore and move on with your life.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Hey, he is producing thread content. I am usually the first to tell him to leave if he's being a jerk but this time he is sharing a BWM detail. Dude never cooks, and averages $10/meal eating out. Which is low if you are in San Francisco (BWM) and high anywhere else.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do banks even finance anything used under $10k or for less than 4-5%? https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listings/year-2010-2013/?page=3&sortOrder=PRICE_ASC I look at this search and I see a lot of cars that are going to need significant maintenance items soon if they don't already, and I'm guessing a person who needs to finance any of these cars is not doing that work on their own and they can't afford to have it in the garage for a couple days. A brand new Honda Fit is $16k, a Mazda 3 is $18k, someone with decent credit should be able to get around 2%, and the dealer usually throws in at least a couple free maintenance visits. If you go in with a decent down payment and get good financing with the intent of driving it until the wheels fall off, I can see the value in buying new, especially if any downtime is going to break you.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

NancyPants posted:

Do banks even finance anything used under $10k or for less than 4-5%?

Not really, no. Collateral is huge with auto lending. We like to know that if something happens we can repo the car and sell it and know what we will get for it. The older it is, the harder that becomes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

therobit posted:

Hey, he is producing thread content. I am usually the first to tell him to leave if he's being a jerk but this time he is sharing a BWM detail. Dude never cooks, and averages $10/meal eating out. Which is low if you are in San Francisco (BWM) and high anywhere else.

$10 doesn’t even cover the tip on a dinner worth going out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

is buying a car with 0 apr bwm