Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Grima! You were once a man of Rohan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

shovelbum posted:

Does this include naturalized citizens?

who could have guessed that never overturning korematsu v. united states would have bad effects eventually

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

LMAO that Kelly Anne Conway and Stephen K. Bannon were the voices of reason in this whitehouse.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It reversed a Ninth Circuit ruling, saying that certain provisions of federal immigration law didn't apply to non-citizens. Thomas has a concurring opinion, that'll be something.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

shovelbum posted:

it looks like its noncitizens

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I also assume hope hicks thing is expected to be a non event so what's the deal w this reelection thing

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

lmao nice legal system u got

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

I did a thing posted:

so when can citizens can be indefinitely detained ? bout 2 months after a terrorist attack?

there have been kids held on riker's island for three years awaiting trial

also, ice has a literal manual on how to strip a naturalized citizen of their citizenship

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/968506391370633216

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Breyer has a pretty passionate dissent opinion apparently, runs 33 pages and touches on the Declaration of Independence

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/968512776774840320

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

"And that campaign manager is Paul Manafort!"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shageletic posted:

You talking about the DACA ruling? Got an article?
Two separate rulings

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

From Scotus blog:

quote:

The Supreme Court essentially held, many years ago, that detained aliens cannot be held indefinitely for constitutional reason. In this case, the Ninth Circuit used that holding to say that the immigration statutes themselves required bond hearings every six months to avoid indefinite detention. The Court said: That's not right, the statutes don't say that. But it remanded for the Ninth Circuit to consider whether the immigrant had valid constitutional claims regarding his detention.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

im a runekeeper

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Shageletic posted:

It reversed a Ninth Circuit ruling, saying that certain provisions of federal immigration law didn't apply to non-citizens. Thomas has a concurring opinion, that'll be something.

i like gorsuch concurring except not concurring w one footnote

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
:obama:

The court threw out a 2015 decision by the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which had ruled that the government must provide bond hearings to gauge danger and flight risk when detention exceeds six months, and every six months after that. Former President Barack Obama’s Justice Department appealed that ruling.

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MUQsFjILMM

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Wolfsheim posted:

I also assume hope hicks thing is expected to be a non event so what's the deal w this reelection thing

it's not new news. It's old news with maybe a touch more specificity (that he will be the campaign manager).

Wiki posted:

2020 Trump re-election campaign[edit]
On October 8, 2017, in an interview with Parscale conducted by Leslie Stahl was aired on 60 Minutes, Parscale stated that he was currently working on President Trump's 2020 re-election campaign.

Also, Hope Hicks could say some things today that will be interesting, but it's hard to know if we will see that info anytime soon???

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
split in Jennings is:

Alito with Roberts and Kennedy concurring in full. Thomas, Gorsuch, and Sotomayor concurring in part.

Breyer, Ginsburg, with Sotomayor joining in part.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

The court threw out a 2015 decision by the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which had ruled that the government must provide bond hearings to gauge danger and flight risk when detention exceeds six months, and every six months after that. Former President Barack Obama’s Justice Department appealed that ruling.

lol

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

wheres the middle one... lachesis?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Justice Alito has the opinion of the Court, except for one part. Roberts and Kennedy join Alito's opinion in full. Thomas and Gorsuch join all but Part II of the Alito opinion, and Sotomayor joins one sub-part (III-C).

Likes1

Amy Howe

43 minutes ago

Thomas filed an opinion concurring in part and in the judgment, joined by Gorsuch except as to footnote 6.

Likes1

Amy Howe

43 minutes ago

Breyer dissents, joined by Ginsburg and Sotomayor. Phew.

Likes1

Amy Howe

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So from what I understand, non-citizens do have rights to non-definite detention, the Ninth tried to solidify that into making regular bond hearings a thing, the SupCt said no. It's loving bullshit, how else are you supposed to hold that right to be true without regularly exercising? Must be why Breyer is reading from the bench, which is apparently rare.

Squizzle posted:

i like gorsuch concurring except not concurring w one footnote

lol what a toad

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Don't gently caress with a WITCH (HUNT!)

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Jennings is a littlllleee bit more complex than "literal concentration camps now"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

glad to see our real and totally functional scotus can get behind a clear ruling on this!!!!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

UFOTacoMan posted:

it's not new news. It's old news with maybe a touch more specificity (that he will be the campaign manager).

Also, Hope Hicks could say some things today that will be interesting, but it's hard to know if we will see that info anytime soon???

In about 5-6 weeks we will

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
lol what a surprise
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/968513680974471168
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/968513917873016832

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/968223028529324038?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E0

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Shageletic posted:

So from what I understand, non-citizens do have rights to non-definite detention, the Ninth tried to solidify that into making regular bond hearings a thing, the SupCt said no. It's loving bullshit, how else are you supposed to hold that right to be true without regularly exercising? Must be why Breyer is reading from the bench, which is apparently rare.

lol what a toad

Reading from the bench is basically theater, but its used to indicate when a justice strongly, strongly disagrees with the overall ruling of the court.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/968513615539122176

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

lmfao

thanks Obama

never forget that Obama hated immigrants too, thread, because he did. he really, really did.

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Shageletic posted:

Breyer has a pretty passionate dissent opinion apparently, runs 33 pages and touches on the Declaration of Independence

yeah the opinion is a loving monster

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

im a footnote 6 originalist binch

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Schnorkles posted:

Jennings is a littlllleee bit more complex than "literal concentration camps now"

yeah the concentration camps already started happening so it's inaccurate to say they'll start happening "now"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

lmao gently caress you barry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

No.

• Locked thread