Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

pog boyfriend posted:

build tank support standard items but 4th item get an infinity edge and never explain why to your team, just keep saying "dont worry about it" if they ask

triforce taric and when someone asks just a series of different links but theyre all skinner tapping his nose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pog boyfriend posted:

if you think the items are boring get an infinity edge. now that is interesting

IEdge is just a stat stick, but it's a stat stick that gives you a lot more personal power than you had before. "Giving you more personal agency" has been a persistent problem with support items, especially melee support items. Building Knight's Vow is great for your ADC, but all it does for you is give you some alright stats and a bit more survivability that's contingent on another player's participation. Locket's a little better, but you're still primarily buying it for your team.

Camel Camus posted:

Tank supports had a great run for like a month but now it's back to spamming targeted poke on Janna, Nami and Lulu until the enemy ADC gets bored and goes afk so botlane is poo poo again.

Certain tank supports are still popular, but it's slowly starting to feel like the end of season 7 again. Varus is untouched, Kog got mostly de-nerfed, and Ardent's back to being first priority on every enchanter. Bone Plating's making all-ins difficult unless you have a proactive ADC stripping it away beforehand. It's not impossible to win into these lanes, but it's a lot more frustrating than before.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

im not afraid to go archangel/ludens -> redemption -> locket on xerath, but i just wish i had something actually interesting for that 1st item on taric that gives me a Fun Spike like ludens echo does for xerath/other wizard

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
lmao I just went Archangels -> Ludens on Lux and my mana shield was 800 hp

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

best part of playing support lee sin is the part where you get a titanic hydra

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pog boyfriend posted:

build tank support standard items but 4th item get an infinity edge and never explain why to your team, just keep saying "dont worry about it" if they ask

Back when league was new and lanes barely existed one of the guys i playes with was a blitz main whod buy infinity edge before boots and oneshot people with his e

Beta/season 1 was the best

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

What are some fun gimmick builds right now? I'm planning to mess around with a friend learning the game and want to do something stupid like old AP Nasus or full AD rune + E max pre-rework Sion.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

What are some fun gimmick builds right now? I'm planning to mess around with a friend learning the game and want to do something stupid like old AP Nasus or full AD rune + E max pre-rework Sion.

Rageblade Varus, except that it's not actually a gimmick and is the best way to play him.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I'm in my gold v promos, two wins to go 🤞folks

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Power of Pecota posted:

Crit Thresh is one I've seen floating around lately.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

played against support swain the other day which was rancid aids to lane against but he fell off pretty badly later

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

strong bird posted:

im not afraid to go archangel/ludens -> redemption -> locket on xerath, but i just wish i had something actually interesting for that 1st item on taric that gives me a Fun Spike like ludens echo does for xerath/other wizard

Frozen Fist.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Power of Pecota posted:

ap malphite

AP Malphite

AP MALPHITE

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Just finished my first ever promos W4 L6 Silver IV. Yay

Japex
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
unpopular opinion: ezreal is a niche pick that is generally bad

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Japex posted:

Actually a fairly popular opinion in my experience.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Rygar201 posted:

I'm in my gold v promos, two wins to go 🤞folks

good luck Rygar!!

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Power of Pecota posted:

Speed Taric. Just buy all the movement increasing items and run around the map stunning fools

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Japex posted:

Nah he's actually pretty good just the average player sucks poo poo on him and uses q in lane to farm instead of harass. The last Ezreal I supported didn't even auto except to last hit so he got his rear end shoved under tower and was irrelevant the whole game.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
He’s pretty dependent on a good support since every adc in the game out pushes him and he has worst in class health and aspd without his passive.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Old Maokai ult is now an item kinda, neato

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

duck trucker posted:

Speed Taric. Just buy all the movement increasing items and run around the map stunning fools

Boots, Ardent, Coin, DMP, Righteous Glory, Triforce.
Not the worst build assuming opponents have little magic damage.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

its curtains for Kevin posted:

He’s pretty dependent on a good support since every adc in the game out pushes him and he has worst in class health and aspd without his passive.

Is having the lowest aspd an issue in a game without denies? Like, I get that the support can trade easier, but it doesn't seem like the end of the world. I know I sound like an rear end in a top hat, but I'm coming from 1500 hours of dota2 and have that honest question.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Elephunk posted:

Is having the lowest aspd an issue in a game without denies? Like, I get that the support can trade easier, but it doesn't seem like the end of the world. I know I sound like an rear end in a top hat, but I'm coming from 1500 hours of dota2 and have that honest question.

it means you trade like poo poo compared to the other carries

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Also you can't push towers down for poo poo which is kind of the ADCs thing

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Elephunk posted:

If your spells are on CD the only other way to push is to keep auto attacking. Medicore base AS exacerbates Ezreal's wave pushing issues and makes his early game trading mediocre when it's that much harder for him to last hit a creep and also try to auto attack the carry that has better AS.

Ezreal's tower killing is actually pretty good because he can supercharge his AS and proc sheen easily on it, but actually pushing to the turret before the enemy returns to lane is difficult for him without having a support that can help him clear the wave.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

Power of Pecota posted:

Is comet Q poke Malphite support still a thing?

Also, regarding ADC: because of what some people have been saying about poke, are there any ADC matchups where bone plating + second wind as secondary runes make sense?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
There are no adc matchups, only support matchups.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

its curtains for Kevin posted:

There are no adc matchups, only support matchups.

Wisdom

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

Super interesting experimental change on the PBE:

I think it's a good way of cutting down on shield bloat. Might end up changing its build priority in a weird way, since this incarnation's only really good for comps that want to have a sit-down fight and can benefit from the damage reduction.

If the effect doesn't scale with health in some way like radius, then they turned locket from a item that benefits tank supports more then shield spammers to something that will just have the janna or lulu already sitting on top of the ADC pop it and make it even stronger with their shield spam buffing up their health, this benefits supports sitting in the back healing and shielding way more then the melee going out front away from the ADC to peel the threats.

Which will also effectively gut tank supports because they will be down their currently best item for keeping the backline alive against what they can't peel.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 27, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If the effect doesn't scale with health in some way like radius, then they turned locket from a item that benefits tank supports more then shield spammers to something that will just have the janna or lulu already sitting on top of the ADC pop it and make it even stronger with their shield spam buffing up their health, this benefits supports sitting in the back healing and shielding way more then the melee going out front away from the ADC to peel the threats.

Which will also effectively gut tank supports because they will be down their currently best item for keeping the backline alive against what they can't peel.

Yeah, good points. I'd say the big issue is that it'll end up becoming a first buy on basically every support, since, unlike Redemption/old Locket, it's not dependent on other stats to unlock its full effect. You already saw it appearing on Janna and the like, but you at least wanted to hold off until you completed some healing/shielding power to make it worthwhile.

I think tank supports are in a bad spot itemization-wise. Pure tank items generally aren't appealing on the traditional tank supports because they have some kind of inbuilt durability that exceeds a normal tank's in exchange for less damage/CC, so they're generally not prioritizing regular tank items early on. There's only three real tank support items (Zeke's, Locket, Vow), only two of them have any real value (mainly due to how loving clunky Zeke's is), and only one of them (Vow) is kept out of the hands of enchanters. You're gonna end up building Vow/Locket in 99% of your games as your first two item, and only Locket is especially satisfying to have. Building poo poo on tank supports just feels completely "bleh" - there's no sense of excitement when you finally finish your core, just a vague sense that you're now finally free to build other poo poo without your team yelling at you.

At the risk of sounding silly, it might be worthwhile for them to start looking into creating more support items that are specifically gated by owning one of the fully upgraded Aspect items. I suspect part of the reason that tank support items have been kept so underwhelming is that they don't want the jungle in pro play to devolve into 100% tank picks with everyone rushing cheap-but-powerful support tank items with their greater incomes. Locking them specifically to support would prevent that, although it's an admittedly hamfisted method.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Vermain posted:

Words on tank supps

Agreed, I play a lot of tank supps and while I like the new runes, items do suck balls especially after they dropped the choices between fotm/equinox.

One of the things I've always disliked about CC supports is that once you've pushed your buttons, you're flailing about uselessly until your cooldowns come back up. At least with fotm/locket etc you've got a couple more things to contribute.

Maaaaybe you could have some sort of item that builds charges based on how many people you CC - I dunno, after it charges you can put a shield on someone, or buff them majorly for 2 seconds or something. It would provide a bit more 'haptic feedback' than slightly reducing the ADCs damage taken before they're deleted. It would encourage more fights too

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

el dingo posted:

Maaaaybe you could have some sort of item that builds charges based on how many people you CC - I dunno, after it charges you can put a shield on someone, or buff them majorly for 2 seconds or something. It would provide a bit more 'haptic feedback' than slightly reducing the ADCs damage taken before they're deleted. It would encourage more fights too

I don't think that would work unless you tied the shield to the tanks stats, which it seems like they want to move away from, or else it's going to just be another tank item that Janna uses almost as well as tanks. Make it something that charges based on the amount of hits/cc you tank ties it into being a tank item in a way that's harder for ranged supports to use.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

make tank items that only melee champs can buy

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Crazy Larry posted:

I don't think that would work unless you tied the shield to the tanks stats, which it seems like they want to move away from, or else it's going to just be another tank item that Janna uses almost as well as tanks. Make it something that charges based on the amount of hits/cc you tank ties it into being a tank item in a way that's harder for ranged supports to use.

That's a better idea, yeah. Hell, you could make it a set of items based on different support types - soak up damage to build charges, heal team mates to build charge, shield a certain amount of damage etc

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

make tank items that only melee champs can buy

This is also fine, as long as Thresh and Rakan are recategorized.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Cut threshes aa range in half and have flay always aa at the max bonus damage

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Vermain posted:

This is also fine, as long as Thresh and Rakan are recategorized.

Bug fix: Thresh no longer counts as being both ranged and melee when on red team.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Take away thresh E bonus damage but let him have two charges of flay

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Give Lucian a black panther skin and then nerf his ult cooldown

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 27, 2018