Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
'Repeat' is right there you loving hack. Regret doesn't even make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Samurai Sanders posted:

Which other countries even have creepy nationalist customs like America does about the anthem and the pledge of allegiance?

I think nationalistic symbol-worship is pretty out of vogue, these days. I'm assuming Tinsley's "much of the world" is basically limited to Middle Eastern theocracies, and as far as I'm aware those punishments have more to do with dissin' on the state religion or being gay or trying to have a free press than anything to do with national symbols.

I've never heard of anything like he Pledge of Allegiance outside of the US, and I was sure it was a joke about WW2 or the McCarthy era. He's not wrong to bring up American Exceptionalism in this case, but it's not a point in his favor.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This whole insistence on the 'Jewish state' identity doesn't sit right with me and plenty of non-Jewish Israelis.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

I hope McCoy gets shot in the back

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Sandpuppy posted:

I'm kind of curious what they're up to in a box truck with a bunch of garbage bags crammed into the cab.

Zelda’s dad is moving house, most likely.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I will say, as an American who grew up saying the pledge of allegiance every morning in school, it might as well be gibberish. We start saying it so young that we don't understand half the words and fewer of the concepts, and it just becomes a thing you say, like singing a song in a language you don't understand. Even the name "pledge of allegiance" is just a blur of sounds and we don't generally think about it. "plejuva leejence" is like "elemenopee"

I'm not apologizing for it or anything, it's an archaic gross thing that should be abolished, but most kids aren't very indoctrinated by it beyond a vague sense that the flag is important to adults. In fact, by middle school it's already uncool to recite it and the cool kids just stand silently. This may vary based on how much camouflage is being worn in the classroom at the time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

I will say, as an American who grew up saying the pledge of allegiance every morning in school, it might as well be gibberish. We start saying it so young that we don't understand half the words and fewer of the concepts, and it just becomes a thing you say, like singing a song in a language you don't understand. Even the name "pledge of allegiance" is just a blur of sounds and we don't generally think about it. "plejuva leejence" is like "elemenopee"

I'm not apologizing for it or anything, it's an archaic gross thing that should be abolished, but most kids aren't very indoctrinated by it beyond a vague sense that the flag is important to adults. In fact, by middle school it's already uncool to recite it and the cool kids just stand silently. This may vary based on how much camouflage is being worn in the classroom at the time.

In like 3rd or 4th grade I got to raise and lower the flag at my elementary school, and boy did adults get pissed if you let that flag touch the ground.

EDIT:
See also get wet from rain. OF course these days I see flags get raised and never lowered, there's a full sized flag where I used to live that is up there 24/7/366

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Do these Chabos at least know who Babo is?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Isn't this how 1936 American media covered the 1936 Olympics?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Who remotely enjoys this when it's not ripping on Hillary?

Would it kill Allie to draw....anything?....in the background?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

boy did adults get pissed if you let that flag touch the ground.

Jingoistic gun nuts with pocket constitutions really really care about that one particular line in the flag code while ignoring all others.

The rain thing is vague in that the flag code says it shouldn't be in conditions where it would be damaged. I know in scouts we were told that the modern interpretation of this is that old-style cloth flags come in during rain and synthetic materials can stay out. Both should come in in high winds. You only leave the flag out at night if it is lit by a dedicated light.

Having guidelines like the flag code is good. Worshiping it like it is Holy Writ is dumb and bad.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Bloop posted:

You only leave the flag out at night if it is lit by a dedicated light.

Night by the clock or night by the sun?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

D.N. Nation posted:

Who remotely enjoys this when it's not ripping on Hillary?

Would it kill Allie to draw....anything?....in the background?

Uh, do you mean to say you enjoyed when it was ripping on Hillary?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

His Divine Shadow posted:

So? I mix up my kids names daily. Granted they're identical twins.

As a joke, we gave our 3 children names beginning with 'BR' (Brendan, Bridget and Bryant).

After our divorce my ex remarried and the two stepchildren also have 'BR' names (Brandon and one I don't remember).

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

VideoGameVet posted:

As a joke, we gave our 3 children names beginning with 'BR' (Brendan, Bridget and Bryant).

After our divorce my ex remarried and the two stepchildren also have 'BR' names (Brandon and one I don't remember).

*points to guillotine*

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Uh, do you mean to say you enjoyed when it was ripping on Hillary?

Clarification: I was saying conservatives could at least enjoy it when it was ripping on Hillary. LOL Hunny Bunny, what a big ol' biotch.

Now....what wingnuts are reading "Carmen and the coyote go to a different time period but you can't tell because they can't even be assed to draw it" and getting anything from it? I figure they should be as pissed as we are about the strip's inherent worthlessness.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Night by the clock or night by the sun?

You should retire the flag by sunset.

It goes up the pole fast and comes down the pole slow.

Then you fold it like a paper football.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

And despite the fact that chuds hate flag burning, that's how the flag code dictates you dispose of one.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

The Bloop posted:

Do not, under any circumstances, flick the flag across the table. This is considered very disrespectful.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Bloop posted:

So when the sun doesn't set for a few days/weeks/months you just fly it all through?

e: I guess that would only be a consideration in Alaska? I'm not good at geography.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Do you think Garrison is drawing the shooter as a fire elemental in order to avoid pointing out the shooter was a white MAGA chud?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

gently caress all this respect and ritual, that's not who we are as a country. Print the flag on a paper napkin, wipe ketchup off your face with it, throw it in the trash. Cut one up and make a shirt out of it, spill ketchup on that one too. Get a million little plastic ones, stick them all over your house, let them weather and blow away. Embrace your true essence.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jerry Cotton posted:

So when the sun doesn't set for a few days/weeks/months you just fly it all through?

e: I guess that would only be a consideration in Alaska? I'm not good at geography.

Yeah this isn't really a problem in most of America

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

loquacius posted:

Yeah this isn't really a problem in most of America

Well obviously not but since I bet there are military installations in Alaska, I was just curious as to how they address the midnight sun.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Which other countries even have creepy nationalist customs like America does about the anthem and the pledge of allegiance?
I went to a hockey game in Scotland and they all stood and removed hats for the national anthem there. I don't know how seriously people take it there though. I did the same because I didn't see a reason not to, so I can't say if I would have gotten hassled if I hadn't.

Iron Crowned posted:

In like 3rd or 4th grade I got to raise and lower the flag at my elementary school, and boy did adults get pissed if you let that flag touch the ground.

EDIT:
See also get wet from rain. OF course these days I see flags get raised and never lowered, there's a full sized flag where I used to live that is up there 24/7/366
I had the same gig in I think the 6th grade. I enjoyed it because we got out of class 10 minutes early every day to take them down for the day, and if it rained we were allowed to get right up and leave class to take them down.

And yeah now I see flags just up all day and night all over the place in any weather and it kind of bugs me.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trogdos! posted:

I think this Argument Guy's sixth commission from Ben
SIXTH??

Do they ever show what, exactly, was commissioned?

"I want to yell at Jeff Sessions for recusing himself, that's not an argument. Also he should be a doll, no, an INaction figure!! Because he doesn't do any actions! That's not an argument. Also the INaction figure should include a copy of Reefer Madness because he doesn't like pot. And you need to show him being afraid of pot because he doesn't like pot. And a beard because he sleeps a lot like rip Van Winkle! And be sure to actually draw him sleeping with a big beard because otherwise people won't get that he's like Rip Van Winkle and also label him "Rip Van Winkle" to be sure people get it! And, like, he doesn't require batteries because he doesn't move, he's an INaction figure! He's 'recused himself from batteries'! Also he's part of the swamp so put part of the swamp in there, like an alligator looking all happy and flipping me off because I hate the swamp and he knows it. And write that on the box "Not swamp resistant" or something cool like that! Also civil forfeiture is being used against WHITE people and that's just wrong so can we fit in a subtle joke about that? And explain what it is. But, in like, doll terms? Now THAT'S an argument!!"

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The amount of ratty rear end old flayed American flags I see hanging up right next to a pristine confederate flag in people's yards annoys me.

Mostly for the confederate flag part but also because they are the same people who'll get in my face about not loving this country enough.

But mostly I just hate the confederate flag and those who wave it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Iron Crowned posted:

And despite the fact that chuds hate flag burning, that's how the flag code dictates you dispose of one.

No, I think they know that. They want it to be illegal to burn it in protest, but a respectful ceremony to retire a flag is different.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jurgan posted:

No, I think they know that. They want it to be illegal to burn it in protest, but a respectful ceremony to retire a flag is different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSANTRnEBgg

Yeah yeah, I know you've all seen it before, but it never gets old.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:laffo:

I like seeing people from other countries at the Olympics enjoy waving their flag but also treat it like what it is - a novelty item to represent your people. We treat the flag itself as an important thing in the way that a Sovereign like a king IS the country. The flag code even calls it a living thing. Nationalism is gross.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well obviously not but since I bet there are military installations in Alaska, I was just curious as to how they address the midnight sun.

It's not based on sunrise/sunset. Reveille is usually around 7 AM and Retreat at 5 PM. It varies between branches and installations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

D.N. Nation posted:

Clarification: I was saying conservatives could at least enjoy it when it was ripping on Hillary. LOL Hunny Bunny, what a big ol' biotch.

Now....what wingnuts are reading "Carmen and the coyote go to a different time period but you can't tell because they can't even be assed to draw it" and getting anything from it? I figure they should be as pissed as we are about the strip's inherent worthlessness.

I mean, it's obviously building up to the message that America today is a better place to be than any time in the past, conveniently neglecting the rest of the first world. At least ill-mannered, race-baiting, unpresidential Barack Obama Kenny Bunny is out of the white house. If you're a decorum-obsessed tea partier, or whatever Stantis' idiot ideology is called, that's exactly the kind of message you want from your cartoons. And if you want things like art, humor, and integrity, you're not reading Prickly City in the first place. I don't see any difference.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

The Bloop posted:

:laffo:

I like seeing people from other countries at the Olympics enjoy waving their flag but also treat it like what it is - a novelty item to represent your people. We treat the flag itself as an important thing in the way that a Sovereign like a king IS the country. The flag code even calls it a living thing. Nationalism is gross.

Canada just changed the national anthem to be gender neutral and all-inclusive and if you just talked to the right-wing people in this country you would think it is the end-times.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Canada certainly has certain similar aspects of nationalism - standing for the anthem, followed by a moment of silence was basically something I remember all through school, I think singing a long might have been something to do at younger ages but like that other person said by highschool no-one really did it.

That said, you're right about the flag. I think most people enjoy it as a symbol and I'm sure there are rules and regulations on how to fly it, but I certainly never hear people acting nuts about it like some people do with the American flag.

DariusLikewise posted:

Canada just changed the national anthem to be gender neutral and all-inclusive and if you just talked to the right-wing people in this country you would think it is the end-times.

Oh cool, didn't know that change actually happened.

It was funny watching people on reddit try to use historical preservation type arguments, only to get told that this isn't the first time the anthem has been altered. :v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Oh well guys people will just find another way to kill childrenget fat may as well not even try.

God I hate these fucks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh well guys people will just find another way to kill childrenget fat may as well not even try.

God I hate these fucks.

It's literally just "guns don't kill people." What a fantastic observation. It's still a tool who's sole purpose is to kill things dead with high efficiency.

Even then, some dumb fork comparison doesn't even make sense. An irresponsible fork user only harms themself. You can't go out and buy a Fork-15 and make a whole school fat on a single rampage.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Oxyclean posted:

Oh cool, didn't know that change actually happened.

It was funny watching people on reddit try to use historical preservation type arguments, only to get told that this isn't the first time the anthem has been altered. :v:

I'm glad a change was made, but to my brain it doesn’t scan as well, going "all thy" to "all of". It’s probably just because I grew up with ‘thy,’ but vowel to consonant ending trips my tongue in the alteration.

Could really butcher it and go with "in all cit-i-zens command"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just imagining the US changing its national anthem and what the American Taliban would do. Jeezus it might be grounds for revolution!

Like, even just a subtle change like limiting it to the first verse, which is all anyone knows anyway, to remove the references to slavery - these people would lose their poo poo