Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

quote:

He stares at your clothes. Your sneakers. Your terrifying face. Your gruesome claws.

quote:

You see by your watch it’s already two-thirty. You’ve got no time to lose!

I know it might’ve spoiled the events of the book, but I wish the cover depicted the monster like this, wearing a Junior Adventure Club outfit, sneakers, and a wristwatch.

Also let’s trust them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
We can definitely trust the Amazons.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You reach out and shake Unger’s hand. They’re strange old women, but they seem to be friendly. Besides, you need all the help you can get!

“Can you help us find the Fireheart fruit?” you ask. “We read in a pamphlet that the Fireheart fruit is an antidote to the Muglani magic.”

“Aha!” Unger shouts. “You read our pamphlet! We published that booklet to warn people about the Muglani!”

She looks very pleased that you read their booklet.

“You see, my sister was a victim of their magic. They shrank her head! I have it right in my bag to remind me to be on the lookout for them!”

“So that’s why she has the head!” you murmur to Ben.

“Now, let’s go!” Unger hollers. “We will take you to the Fireheart fruit right now! Then you will be a kid again!”

Excellent!

quote:

The Warrior Women lead you through the jungle to find the Fireheart fruit. Even though they seem ancient, the Warrior Women walk fast! They slip through the jungle gracefully, hardly disturbing a single leaf.

As you hike behind the Warrior Women you begin to feel very hungry. Even though you just ate that pear, you feel as if you haven’t eaten in days. Maybe monsters get hungry faster than normal people.

Your stomach erupts with a loud growl. The jungle leaves begin to blur before your eyes. You’re feeling faint! You’ve got to have some food soon!

Is that an orange tree you see off to the side of the path? It sure is! Wow! An orange would really hit the spot!

These fruits can’t be magic! you assure yourself. They’re growing on a tree in the middle of the jungle! They must be safe! Your stomach growls at you. Grab an orange!

Or maybe you could ask the Warrior Women for something to eat.

To grab an orange, turn to PAGE 69.

To ask the Warrior Women for something to eat, turn to PAGE 5.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Orange time

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Ask the Amazons.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Ask the grannies

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Excuse me,” you call to Unger. “I don’t mean to slow us down, but I’m dying of hunger. Do you guys have anything I could snack on?”

“Of course,” says Unger. “We never go anywhere without plenty of food.” She opens the tiger-skin sack slung over her shoulder. Unger takes out a handful of flowers and passed them around. The flowers are edible! They’re delicious. You’re glad you asked!

After a few more minutes of marching through the humid green jungle, Unger brings the group to a halt. You’re standing in front of a cave. It’s dark and lined with jagged rocks. A warm, dry breeze wafts out from the cave’s mouth.

“That’s where the Fireheart tree is,” Unger tells you and Ben. She points to the small cave. “Follow the tunnel until you reach a big cave. In the center will be the tree.”

“Thank you so much!” you tell the Warrior Women.

“It is our pleasure to defeat the spells of the Muglani,” Unger replies. “Good luck, my little friends!”

She pats you and Ben on the back and turns to leave.

“Oh, one last thing about the cave,” Unger remarks. “Beware of the guard dragon!”

quote:

“Guard dragon?” you say. “What do you mean, ‘guard dragon’?”

But Unger is gone! She and the rest of the Warrior Women have disappeared into the rich foliage of the jungle.

“Well, thanks again!” Ben calls after them.

“Do you think she was serious about the guard dragon?” you ask Ben nervously.

“I don’t know,” Ben answers.

“Maybe we should bring in some kind of weapon, to protect ourselves from the dragon,” you wonder aloud.

“What about these sticks?” Ben asks, pointing to two heavy branches lying on the ground.

“Those look perfect,” you exclaim. You pick up the branches and hand one to Ben. “Well, we’d better hurry. We’ve only got about ten minutes before the Junior Explorers leave without us! Let’s go into the cave!”

quote:

You and Ben scramble over the rocks and into the cave. The rocks are covered by a strange white moss. The moss glows little, helping you to see better in the dark cave. You use your club as a walking stick. It helps you balance as you climb over the craggy stones.

“I wonder why it’s so hot in here,” Ben murmurs. “Usually caves are cooler than the air outside!”

“It’s really boiling in here!” you agree.

As you stumble along, the tunnel begins to glow with a faint gold light. The cave grows brighter and brighter.

“I can see the tree!” you exclaim as you reach the chamber that Unger told you about.

“Wow!” Ben shouts.

There in the center of the cave is a pool of lava. From the center of the pool grows a beautiful little tree. Its low sweeping branches are filled with bright red fruits. They hang like drops of blood from every branch.

“How cool is that?” you exclaim. Ben puts down his stick and gives you a high five. “We found the Fireheart tree!”

But as you step toward the tree, you hear a low, menacing HISS!

quote:

A puff of mist rises from the pool of lava. Through the mist appears a fierce, sinister shape – a dragon. Short spikes cover its head and run down its spine. Though it’s not gigantic, it looks quite deadly.

The dragon has rows of jagged teeth and sharp rippling scales. Two evil-looking green eyes with a stripe of fiery red down the middle peer hatefully at you and Ben.

“I don’t think we can fight it!” Ben yells. He scrambles to pick up his club.

“But we’ve got to!” you shout. You tighten your grip on your stick. Your body is trembling from head to webbed foot.

HISS! The dragon slithers right through the lava moat. As it creeps toward you, you hear its sharp claws scratch at the rock.

“Let’s go!” Ben begs. “Let’s run! Now!”

If you run, go to PAGE 13.

If you try to defeat the dragon, go to PAGE 36.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
We've been on such a good streak so far, let's ruin it by fighting that dragon.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Fight the dragon!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“I’ve got to fight the dragon! I can’t leave without getting one of those fruits!” you exclaim. “If I don’t get one, I’ll be stuck looking like a monster for the rest of my life!”

“Okay,” Ben agrees courageously. “We’ll fight the dragon!”

Just then you remember something you learned in school about lizards. Maybe it will work on a dragon!

“Don’t move, Ben!” you command. “Some lizards can only see movement. Maybe it won’t be able to see us if we hold still.”

You’re right. After you and Ben stop moving, the dragon seems confused. It sniffs at the air and scans the cave with its green-and-red eyes, but it doesn’t see you. The dragon loses interest and crawls back behind the tree.

“I’m going to grab a fruit, very slowly,” you whisper.

You tiptoe up to the lava pool, moving at the pace of a slow motion replay. You slowly reach over the small lake of boiling, steaming molten rock.

quote:

You reach to pluck one of the Fireheart fruits. The dragon still doesn’t see you. You’re moving too slowly for the dragon to see!

The heat from the lava makes your eyes water. You take one of the Fireheart fruits in your gray, clawed hand.

It’s warm! Just like a real heart. And the soft, fleshy red fruit is pulsing with the heat of the lava, like a real heart would pulse. It feels as if you’re holding someone’s heart. Gross!

With a flick of your wrist, you break the fruit from the tree. You hold it carefully in your hand. You don’t want to break it open with one of your sharp claws!

You turn to Ben and flash him a toothy smile.

Then you hear a violent HISS!

The dragon lunges at you from behind the tree!

quote:

“Run!” Ben screams. “The dragon is after you!”

Quickly, you slip the pulpy Fireheart fruit into your pocket.

Ben bounds down the tunnel, heading for the exit.

You turn to run away from the dragon, but your feet slip on the rock and you hit the ground. Your breath is knocked out of you, but even worse, your club rolls away from you!

The dragon lets out an angry roar and pounces on you. The weight of the dragon pins you to the ground.

HISS! You’re face to face with a deadly dragon!

quote:

The dragon has you pinned to the ground! It snaps at your face with its razor-sharp teeth.

You get a crazy idea. You snap right back at the dragon. After all, you’re a monster, too! You growl and gnash your own sharp teeth.

“Get off me!” you shout. You push the dragon off you and scamper to your feet.

Then something happens. Something unexpected. You take in a big puff of air and feel the back of your neck rising up.

It’s not really your neck, but a flap of skin on your neck. It rises up and out like a hood behind your head!

It feels huge! And out of the corner of your eye, you can see that it’s covered with bright and colorful markings. It makes you look bigger and scarier than you really are!

The dragon takes one look at you now and stops hissing. It starts to whimper instead. It cowers at your feet.

You let out a terrifying howl. The dragon slinks back to the tree with its head down.

quote:

The dragon is behind the Fireheart tree, cowering. You race to the exit of the tunnel.

As you run, you feel the webbed hood around your head fold up and collapse back against your scaly neck and back. You never even knew you had it until you needed it.

“Ben!” you call. “Are you okay?”

“You made it!” he yells. “I can’t believe it! I thought you were a goner for sure!”

“Nope, I scared the dragon! I outscared it! And look, I have the Fireheart fruit!”

The fruit is still pulsing in your hand. You stare at it, glad that it didn’t get squished during the battle. Its blood-red skin is shiny and slippery.

“Here goes nothing,” you say, sinking your teeth into the warm fruit.

quote:

Wow! The Fireheart fruit has a wonderful flavor. It’s like a strawberry cake.

As you chew, your skin begins to tingle. Your face twitches and jumps. The jungle spins. Everything blurs together and twirls faster and faster. BANG! It all stops!

You take your hands away from your face.

“It worked!” Ben exclaims. “You’re a kid again!”

You did it! Ben thumps you on the back and you burp.

You burp up a little fire!

You and Ben race back toward the path where the Junior Explorers were. It doesn’t take you long to find the group. Mrs. Wheedle is shouting for everyone to get in line for a head count. Whew! Just in time!

Zoe’s there. And she’s psyched to see you. She apologizes for running from you the way she did.

“No sweat,” you tell her. “Ben and I will tell you the whole story!”

When you get back home, you become famous for your fire burps. You’re booked on all the late-night talk shows. It’s also very handy for roasting marshmallows for your two best friends, Zoe and Ben.

THE END

Jesus, guys! I know the next book's one of the best ones, but there's no need to rush through this one!

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

:siren:Goal Endings: 1/2:siren:

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
:siren:Beginner's Luck: Reached a goal ending on our first try.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Run to the waterfall.
  • Hide from whoever's approaching.
  • Get tails on the coin flip.
  • Refuse the Warrior Women's help.
  • Take an orange from the tree.
  • Run from the guard dragon.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
On second thought, dragons are pretty scary. Let's run away.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Hell yeah, one of my favorite endings! Who doesn't wanna be able to burp fire on command?

Now let's ruin literally everything by running away.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

The dragon draws nearer. Spiky white teeth snap at you. It eyes you viciously with his fiery pupils.

“You’re right!” you cry. “We can’t fight that thing! Let’s get out of here!”

You and Ben drop your clubs and race toward the exit. You stumble over the rough rocks.

Because your backs are turned, you don’t see the dragon dip its mouth into the lava pool and slurp up a mouthful of molten rock. With a huge puff, the dragon spits fire at you.

The flames bellow down the tunnel after you, catching up to you in no time at all.

You told everyone in Mrs. Wheedle’s group you were a big-time explorer who could survive any adventure!

Looks like you were wrong.

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
:siren:Incinerated by a dragon's lava breath.:siren:

Achievements
Beginner's Luck: Reached a goal ending on our first try.

Our options posted:

• Run to the waterfall.
  • Take an orange from the tree.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Do monsters get scurvy? Better eat an orange just in case.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Hmmm, an orange tree, in the Amazon rainforest, where the only other mundane fruit we saw were magically cursed?

Sure, eat an orange!

Interesting way how we handled that dragon!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Y'know the waterfall looks really good...

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

We need to keep our Vitamin C levels up. Eat the orange.

quote:

Because your backs are turned, you don’t see the dragon dip its mouth into the lava pool and slurp up a mouthful of molten rock. With a huge puff, the dragon spits fire at you.

...huh, never saw this particular take on dragon fire. These books are full of surprises.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Orange time!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide you don’t want to slow everyone down by asking them for something to eat. You’ll just snatch an orange real quick.

You step into the shade of the orange tree to pluck a fruit. And find the ground under your feet has disappeared!

With a lunge you grab for the ledge.

Your knuckles scrape on small rocks buried in the soft ground. You plummet downward!

Your arms wheel through the air. You take a nosedive, landing with a PLOP!

You’re in some kind of a pit.

Steep, square walls go up about fifteen feet. Beyond the pit you can see the deep green leaves of the jungle and the blue sky beyond them.

“Hello!” you call to Ben and the Warrior Women. “Can you hear me? I fell into a pit! Help me!”

But there’s no sound from above. They’re too far away to hear you. If only they didn’t walk so fast!

Now you’re trapped!

quote:

You stand with your hands on your hips and check out the pit. Now how am I going to get out of this pit? you think. And why would someone dig a big hole in the middle of the jungle, anyway?

You take two steps back. Maybe you can jump up and get a handhold on the bark of the pit.

As your foot lands you hear a loud CRUNCH!

And the CRUNCH extends into a ghostly RATTLE.

The sound makes the hairs on the back of your neck prickle. A spooky breeze sweeps over you.

There is something moving behind you!

It sounds as if it might be a bunch of old bones.

You turn around very slowly and very carefully.

quote:

You are faced with the skeleton of a tiger.

This pit must be an old tiger trap! you think. Your knees feel as if they might give way.

The bones of the tiger are frail and decaying, but they glow with a ghostly iridescence. The tiger’s tail whips from side to side, clattering like a rattlesnake. It opens its giant jaws to roar at you, but no sound rushes out. The tiger has no voice. All you hear is the tiger’s tail rattling in the wind. That and the frantic beating of your heart.

The tiger steps toward you. One paw looks even more crushed than the rest of them. That must be the one you stepped on.

It rips through the air with its claws.

You step backward...

CRUNCH!

RATTLE!

Looks like you’ve awakened the bones of another tiger. Hope you’ve got guts. It’s two against one.

quote:

You’re trapped in a pit with two tiger skeletons!

They circle you slowly. The wind whistles through their bones. Their jaws snap open and closed. You can tell they’re dying to take a bite out of you.

They don’t have stomachs, so you figure they can’t really eat you. But they still have all their teeth!

You back into the corner, being careful not to step on any more bones.

The tigers approach, their tails clicking softly as they lash from side to side.

You remember an old jungle movie you once saw. The hero sang to a wild tiger and put it to sleep. Maybe that would work on a tiger skeleton, too!

Or maybe you could leap up on one of the tiger’s heads and make a jump for the edge of the pit. You’re pretty athletic.

Either way, you’ve got to act quickly!

To sing a song for the tigers and try to calm them, turn to PAGE 117.

To make a jump for it, turn to PAGE 59.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Incinerated by a dragon's lava breath.

Achievements

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose
Let's do a cool jump.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KK14lsnUyE

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Singing is for nerds. Jump to freedom.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Hii-Yah!” you shout, bounding up onto the skull of the nearest tiger. Your sneaker barely touches his decrepit skull, when the entire skeleton collapses to the ground.

CRASH!

You land in a tangled heap of tiger bones. Ouch! Feels like you twisted your leg. And you can’t move your arm.

The other tiger pounces on you, but since you now know how flimsy they are, you kick its skeleton to pieces with one blow of your good leg.

You won’t have to worry about those tigers anymore. But getting out of the pit is another story.

Your arm is turning numb and your leg feels like somebody is holding a blowtorch to it. You aren’t going anywhere!

You yell for help. But by the time somebody finds you, it will be hard to tell your bones from the tigers’.

Make no bones about it, this is

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Broke our leg and died of starvation in a tiger pit.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Run to the waterfall.
  • Sing to the skeletal tigers.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Sing!

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Wow. That's a pretty rough one. Sing.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Sing these skeletons to sleep.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Row, row, row your boat,” you sing.

The tigers cock their heads at you and listen. It’s working!

“Gently down the stream,” your voice wavers. Why can’t you think of the words to any good songs?

As you sing, the tigers tap their paws and seem to enjoy the music. Cool! You’ve made friends with them.

“Okay, guys,” you say, “I’ll just be going now!” You grab on to some roots sticking out of the clay wall and try to lift yourself up.

Immediately the tiger skeletons rip at the air with their claws. You jump away from their razor-sharp nails.

“Row, row, row your boat,” you sing until the tigers settle down again. “Gently down the stream.”

You’ve found two real music lovers. And you’re stuck with them, forever.

As long as you never stop singing, everything will go just merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Broke our leg and died of starvation in a tiger pit.
:siren:Stuck singing to tiger skeletons forever.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Run to the waterfall.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

There's always good stuff at the waterfall.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

This book is good so let's not rush this by going full Depth First Search on this. Refuse the warrior women's help.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose
Let's see what happens if we refuse the Amazons.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
Refuse the warrior women's help.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“It’s very nice of you to offer us help,” you say, backing away from the Warrior Women. “But we’ve really got to be going.”

After all, the Warrior Woman has a shrunken head in her bag. Plus, they have spears and bows and arrows. You can’t trust them. They’re just too dangerous!

“It was nice to meet you,” Ben joins in. “See you later!”

The Warrior Woman’s face turns red as you edge toward the trees. She snaps her fingers and all the Warrior Women lift their spears. And point them right at you!

You and Ben gasp in fear! A cold sweat breaks out down your spine.

“Okay,” the Warrior Woman says. “I admit it. We’re the ones who put that magic fruit there and turned you into a monster. We’re the Muglani. And we want your heads!”

quote:

The Warrior Women are closing in on you with their spears. And they want to make Hackey Sacks out of your heads!

Time to SCRAM! you think. And without a word, you pick Ben up and take off.

You slip past the Warrior Women and race through the jungle. The exotic flowers and plants blur before your eyes as you run.

The Warrior Women hoot and holler behind you. Even though they are old, they run fast! And carrying Ben is weighing you down. They are right on your trail. Arrows zing past you and stab into the trees.

“Oh, NO!” Ben cries. You skid to a stop.

Ahead of you the ground falls off into a dark pit filled with bubbling, oozing tar.

An arrow flies over your shoulder and lands in the tar. The tar swallows it with a little burp that pops with a splat of gooey tar.

A vine dangles right in front of you.

“What do we do?” Ben asks.

To swing on the vine, go to PAGE 54.

To jump over the pit, go to PAGE 75.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Stuck singing to tiger skeletons forever.

Achievements

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHWbsvgQUE

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S4a-NGf8x8

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Take a swing but what the other guys said.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Let’s try to swing over the tar pit!” you suggest to Ben. The Warrior Women are right behind you. There’s no time to lose!

You reach for the vine, but a warm, tropical breeze picks up. It blows the vine right out of your reach.

“Hurry!” Ben cries. “The Warrior Women are coming!”

You reach further, further, trying to grasp the vine.

Hard, weathered hands clamp down on your arms.

It’s too late! The Warrior Women have captured you!

quote:

You squirm and struggle, trying to break free from the Warrior Women. Three of them are holding on to you! Three other Warrior Women have got Ben. You can’t move!

The women are incredibly strong. They bind your hands and feet with cord that looks as if it’s been made out of plant stalks. The ancient Warrior Women lift you into the air and carry you through the jungle.

“Ben, what do we do now?” you ask him as you bounce along on the shoulders of the Warrior Women. “Did your booklet give you any ways to fight the Muglani?”

“No,” Ben mumbles. “If only we had tried to jump over the tar pit! Maybe then we would have gotten away!”

“Maybe,” you answer. “Or maybe if we had accepted their help in the first place!”

You two will have plenty of time to discuss it.

Soon, your shrunken heads will be hanging side by side on the magic table in the clearing. One little fishy head. And another little one with glasses.

You two can HANG OUT together all you want!

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Captured by the Muglani and had our head shrunken.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Run to the waterfall.
  • Jump over the tar pit.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
“No,” Ben mumbles. “If only we had tried to jump over the tar pit! Maybe then we would have gotten away!”

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
Smellrose

Leraika posted:

Let's jump over the tar pit and hopefully that's a bad end where the kids wish they'd tried swinging on vines.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

The bubbling tar pit isn’t that wide. Maybe you can make it if you hurdle toward the other bank.

“Jump for it!” you shout to Ben.

You take a flying leap for the other side.

You almost make it. Your feet slip on the far bank of the pit. Your feet slide into the steaming tar. You fall backward, arching through the air.

SPLAT! The sticky tar covers you from head to toe.

SPLAT! Ben lands right on top of you.

The more you struggle, the deeper you sink.

Looks like you’re stuck... for good.

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Captured by the Muglani and had our head shrunken.
:siren:Sucked into a boiling tar pit.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Run to the waterfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

Let's continue on our journey of being killed by the landscape and run to the waterfall.