Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rondo really need to update their site so it doesn't look like a 90s GeoCities page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

s.i.r.e. posted:

Rondo really need to update their site so it doesn't look like a 90s GeoCities page.

They just updated it like a month ago at most, it’s actually worse now.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I curse my stupid loving left-handedness. I love my Baritone guitars and I wish I could have more than two. My next guitar is probably gonna be a 7 or 8 string Agile.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hah they have a 7-string baritone it's like, I get it but just play bass already aayyyyy. :D

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jr. posted:

Furthermore,

Well, he does address that in the article:

rear end in a top hat posted:

There is a feeling, and I believe it’s true, that every guitar is slightly different from each other; its made out of wood, and two pieces of wood will always be different from each other.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Hah they have a 7-string baritone it's like, I get it but just play bass already aayyyyy. :D
It's just a 7 string guitar with a slightly longer scale so the B string doesn't sound so blah. I have a 30" baritone tuned B-B because I prefer the tension that the longer scale provides as well as the option of restringing it like a Bass VI.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Anime Reference posted:

Speaking of Agile, Rondo is currently offering a baritone LP clone in silverburst and I am consumed with lust for it.

If I didn't have a baritone guitar already I'd buy that one in seconds flat. Dayum...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

stillvisions posted:

If I didn't have a baritone guitar already I'd buy that one in seconds flat. Dayum...
You can always just say it's a "backup" :retrogames:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

OutOfPrint posted:

Well, he does address that in the article:

Lol

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

It's just a 7 string guitar with a slightly longer scale so the B string doesn't sound so blah. I have a 30" baritone tuned B-B because I prefer the tension that the longer scale provides as well as the option of restringing it like a Bass VI.

Almost anyone who gets a baritone is going to downtune it. Or, at least, that’s my bias given what I’ve seen.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Just downtune a regular 6 string, there's not many issues and you really don't ever need to go below B standard as anything else is a muddy garbled mess.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Spanish Manlove posted:

muddy garbled mess.

:black101:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You have to do some serious EQing and mastering wizardry to get a coherent tone out of super low tuned stuff. If you just want to hold power chords for 8minutes at a time for each song then sure go for it but anything else is kinda wasted as it gets absorbed into the bass, snare, and kick frequencies.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I had a Ltd baritone for awhile, but then I realized I preferred the same tunings on a 25.5 inch scale guitar. Sounded crisper and less muddy. I generally never need to go lower than drop A. The dude that bought my baritone from me had it set up with some lighter gauge strings to drop c# and I wish I would have thought of that cause it sounded really good.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You guys I was just kidding gosh :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I downtune the poo poo out of some of my guitars. The only BR00TAL extremes are:
I returned my Agile AB-3500 (a whooping 28.7 Scale) to Standard B because we felt that, as a 3-piece, it worked better to have a Guitar in Standard (her) and the other in Baritone (yours truly), kinda like how Corin Tucker uses a POG pedal or whatever to do her lower tunings while Carrie Brownstein plays in standard in Sleater-Kinney.

... I mean, I guess. We play really mellow post-rock for the most part. I know this is gonna sound ridiculous, but I kinda wish that I was in more than 3 bands right now. Is that weird? :shobon:

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Super low tuned guitars are sweet. Basses with a bunch of strings are sweet. Normal guitars are sweet. Music is cool

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Standard tuning is the heaviest tuning

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Tune to standard then drop everything one semi-tone flat.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Hell yes

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Corgan? Is that you?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Only if he drops his voice one semitone flat too

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I was trying to work out what the"Hot Hand" does, and the answer is it makes everything sound like poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNQB2JWI98w

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

Corgan? Is that you?

Don’t be gausche, please take Mr. Iommi‘s bags up to the penthouse immediately.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Don’t be gausche, please take Mr. Iommi‘s bags up to the penthouse immediately.
Didn't Papa Iommi down-tune to C# (3 semi-tones) on occasion?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wark Say posted:

Didn't Papa Iommi down-tune to C# (3 semi-tones) on occasion?

Yeah, certain songs are in C# standard, a good amount of the classics too.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
AFAIK most of their stuff from Master of Reality to Ozzy leaving is in C#.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
when they got back together with dio before he croaked they tuned to d

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Are expensive as gently caress pickups stupid guitar poo poo? Every now and again I think "hey I should replace my guitar's pickups" and then start listening to samples of Seymour Duncan and bareknuckle and stuff.

Apart from really bad pickups though I can never hear anything that justifies upgrading the already good pickups. I'm beginning to think there's a lot of smoke and mirrors with pickups. "These ones sound clearer and more full maaaan."

I am suspect.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Dio had rocked for a long long time *acoustic riff*

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

syntaxfunction posted:

Are expensive as gently caress pickups stupid guitar poo poo? Every now and again I think "hey I should replace my guitar's pickups" and then start listening to samples of Seymour Duncan and bareknuckle and stuff.

Apart from really bad pickups though I can never hear anything that justifies upgrading the already good pickups. I'm beginning to think there's a lot of smoke and mirrors with pickups. "These ones sound clearer and more full maaaan."

I am suspect.

Some are very overpriced but high end pickups are one of the best upgrades you can do for your sound.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

I am suspect.

I've found cheap rear end GFS pickups to be perfectly awesome.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I really like the expensive pickups that I have but I'm sure there's a ceiling somewhere

And wherever it is, seymour duncan zephyrs are way way north of it

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Everybody swears up and down that Blackouts are soooo much better than EMGs but I honestly can't really hear the difference.

I'm actually thinking of converting my EC-1000 to passives but I haven't decided which ones yet.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

syntaxfunction posted:

I am suspect.

For clean stuff: not worth it. For high gain: good pickups are mandatory.

That being said, a good pickup is like $80-$100 not $200+ each

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

For clean stuff: not worth it. For high gain: good pickups are mandatory.

That being said, a good pickup is like $80-$100 not $200+ each

I’d say it’s equal for both and bad pickups are horrible when trying to have a nice clean tone with any depth to it.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

syntaxfunction posted:

I am suspect.

Personally I think they’re good up to a point, I’m an enormous fan of ceramic warpigs as a high gain bridge pickup but they’re at a premium price compared to say, a Seymour Duncan distortion which does 75% as good a job for way cheaper. Metal players place far too much emphasis on them, I feel like they have far more of an effect playing clean/slightly overdriven. You can pry my Lace Dirty Heshers from my cold dead hands though.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
The DiMarzio :siren: TONE ZONE:siren: and air Norton pickups that Ibanez are using these days sound like poo poo. The old V7 and 8s they used to have were much nicer.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Malaria posted:

their larger rail pickup is super underrated for sludge/doom stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Chrpno posted:

I was trying to work out what the"Hot Hand" does, and the answer is it makes everything sound like poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNQB2JWI98w
What a horrid demonstration video but yeah basically it's for dubstep. It's pretty much a wah pedal for your thumb.

Malaria posted:

I had a set of Dream 180s in an imitation Telecaster thinline body and was extremely underwhelmed. Now I have a set of Pearly Gates in that same guitar and now only my playing is underwhelming.