Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.cdw.com/product/Cisco-Meraki-VMX100-subscription-license-3-years-3-Years-Support-1/4630382

Obviously Meraki advertise it as "free", excluding the AWS usage costs and the license costs.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://www.cdw.com/product/Cisco-Meraki-VMX100-subscription-license-3-years-3-Years-Support-1/4630382

To put that in perspective, the MX-84: https://www.cdw.com/product/Cisco-Meraki-Enterprise-subscription-license-3-years-3-Years-Enterpri/3904626

e:fb :argh:

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Here's a really stupid bug:

Usernames for our mobile app are not case sensitive. However, if you log in with the wrong case, you'll be able to log in, but unable to actually do anything like check in to jobs or upload invoices.

And pretty much all our overseas devs are on vacation for 2 weeks for the lunar New Year lol

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

:lol:

Never change Cisco.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

SEKCobra posted:

No it's a misspelling of buttflare.com which caused the problem because I am using my buttflare DNS right now. I accidentally pointed it towards buttlfare.com instead.

Never stop saying: God I love cloud to butt.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Never stop saying: God I love cloud to butt.

I was recently quoting out some cloud services... That extension, while totally juvinille, made my day.

Though I did once forget about it when taking screen shots for a presentation. Made for a slightly awkward moment.

Esdesu
Sep 14, 2014

Boss: Remove the staff workroom printer and put it upstairs for an office of 3 people
Techs: Uh no that's a terrible idea, heaps of people use that printer and they'll be upset
Boss: Narh, they'll just have to get used to it.

Some time later after people complain to my boss...

Boss: It's unacceptable that the staff workroom printer is no longer available. Retrofit another printer from somewhere and get it working this arvo
Techs: :bang:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Anyone know anything about Zoho Mail?

CEO has seen that it is half the price of GSuite.. As much as I am against switching, money talks unfortunately and I might have to actually end up switching.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How do you compete against other people in the company who work 2-3 hours at home (and on the weekends)? In management's eyes they are seen as the ultimate go-getter etc.

Management doesn't see that they're creating more problems because of their half-rear end solutions, they just see them as doing work and helping other people.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stevewm posted:

CEO has seen that it is half the price of GSuite.. As much as I am against switching, money talks unfortunately and I might have to actually end up switching.

It's loving garbage and G Suite is not expensive. If you really want to spend nothing then get Exchange Online Plan 1 licenses.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

It's loving garbage and G Suite is not expensive. If you really want to spend nothing then get Exchange Online Plan 1 licenses.

Could you elaborate on "loving garbage" . Please be as specific as possible.... Anything helps :D

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

How do you compete against other people in the company who work 2-3 hours at home (and on the weekends)? In management's eyes they are seen as the ultimate go-getter etc.

Management doesn't see that they're creating more problems because of their half-rear end solutions, they just see them as doing work and helping other people.

You :yotj:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I'm not sure you can, unless you have some way of indicating in managementese that the work they're doing is creating risk and/or extra work.

If culture is bad from the top you're hosed.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Bob Morales posted:

I had a boss who loved to say "Don't confuse efforts with results."

If your leadership is focusing on efforts, then there's isn't much you can do about it except try to get them to focus on the results.

Showing management requires some sort of data proving extra work or rework is caused by lovely results. Even if gathering the data is possible, management may not be willing to listen which depends on several factors.

oh rly fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 27, 2018

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

stevewm posted:

I do use it for a personal domain(free tier), given it's lacklustre support, tendency to get stuck into every mail blocklist known to man due to its free customers and unreliable IMAP/ActiveSync implementation i would never, ever suggest it as a paid alternative to gapps or o365.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Not so much pissed off, as frustrated, but we just moved entirely to Skype in the Cloud for Business, with no on-prem component. That's fine. What's not fine is my team wasn't given updated information on how to access and manage attributes like the SIP that's part of our job when someone needs a name change executed.

No, gently caress that, I just got in an email

quote:

I am acting for Lorraine and I need to get her computer password. Thought I knew it but its not working. Can someone please help asap? Thanks

:wtc:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Not so much pissed off, as frustrated, but we just moved entirely to Skype in the Cloud for Business, with no on-prem component. That's fine. What's not fine is my team wasn't given updated information on how to access and manage attributes like the SIP that's part of our job when someone needs a name change executed.

When you do end up figuring out that stuff can you sum up the pros/cons? We are full skype for business, using it for our full phone system as well. We are moving to o365 and skype for business cloud is an option and i'm wondering if managing it will be any easier. The on prem management portal is so dog poo poo slow that I can go get a cup of coffee before the thing comes up.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hey, Dogstile, I'm finally going to approve those offsite backups that you've been talking about as "absolutely critical". Feel free to get it done.

No, I don't want to spend any money.

You're in for a surprise, boyo

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Stuff that slightly annoys me: one of our users cooked its desktop ssd by having the room heater at full blast with his desktop right in front of the heater. Desktop has full warranty coverage, they'll sort it out.

Stuff that heavily pisses me: My home QNAP rack rails decided that suicide was a good thing and broke one of its retention springs, everything is encased in riveted plastic, leaving me no option for improv fixes and qnap has always being stingy in replacement parts so i'll have to buy it again...

Synology isn’t stingy. I bought a used 716+ off eBay. It was hosed. Got in touch with Synology. It was still under warranty. Sent it to them. They send me back a brand new one.

Get a synology.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

silicone thrills posted:

When you do end up figuring out that stuff can you sum up the pros/cons? We are full skype for business, using it for our full phone system as well. We are moving to o365 and skype for business cloud is an option and i'm wondering if managing it will be any easier. The on prem management portal is so dog poo poo slow that I can go get a cup of coffee before the thing comes up.

Sure, though my experience is fairly limited. Might take a while as my infrastructure team is stone-walling giving me access. If I haven't said anything in a day or two about it give me a reminder.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Steakandchips posted:

Synology isn’t stingy. I bought a used 716+ off eBay. It was hosed. Got in touch with Synology. It was still under warranty. Sent it to them. They send me back a brand new one.

Get a synology.

I managed to scavenge some generic universal rack rails from the Datacenter waste/discard pile so I'm fine(old HDS stock, fat powder coated steel rather than chintzy plastic, so they are not as flimsy as the "premium" QNAP rails). I'll have to either grind some extra metal from my junker rack or just buy a new one, it's not the first time a cheap rail get stuck and self destructs on this piece of junk :(

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I got an email like that once. Do you have an acceptable use policy you could send them? Tell them that if they get caught using someone else’s account they can be reprimanded for creating a security breach.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Sophos has updated some of their software and broke application exceptions as well as Teams seems to be entirely on fire today. What a nice Tuesday.

Goddammit.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

dogstile posted:

Hey, Dogstile, I'm finally going to approve those offsite backups that you've been talking about as "absolutely critical". Feel free to get it done.

No, I don't want to spend any money.

You're in for a surprise, boyo

You mean goods and services aren’t free?

I don’t understand this mentality in business. They’re whole raison d’etre is selling things, but act shocked and even offended when they realize labor and services are also things that are for sale and that they not just entitled to them for no cost.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I got an email like that once. Do you have an acceptable use policy you could send them? Tell them that if they get caught using someone else’s account they can be reprimanded for creating a security breach.

We literally this month rolled out security training that emphasizes not sharing passwords.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Sure, though my experience is fairly limited. Might take a while as my infrastructure team is stone-walling giving me access. If I haven't said anything in a day or two about it give me a reminder.

The ruling is I don’t get access to the server, SIP auto-updates now when we change the upn. Sorry.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Do you have any executive backup on that? Our acceptable use policy came in an email straight from the COO, so the exec assistant asking for the password reset on someone else’s account and namedropping the CEO kind of backfired.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
The announcement of the training came straight from the President, and the policy owners of Digital Security in general are a VP and the CFO. I also passed the user's response to the senior analyst on service desk, because I have more users with reasonable requests to help.

silicone thrills posted:

I got the infrastructure guy to give me some info, because I really wanted to know personally, and the big thing is "almost everything is now managed via powershell." It also updates itself from AD more completely, so there's less user management. But the actual admin console is pretty bare bones. We don't use it for phones though, so that may make a difference. If you're good with powershell, it's probably worth it just so you can get rid of a few servers (VM or bare metal). It was a very seamless transition for us once everyone was moved over. The test group who was moved initially to the cloud version couldn't receive messages from on-prem users, but it was all good once everyone was clouded.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Avenging_Mikon posted:

We literally this month rolled out security training that emphasizes not sharing passwords.

The ruling is I don’t get access to the server, SIP auto-updates now when we change the upn. Sorry.

Wow that's odd. I guess it makes sense if you are in a really big org though. :(

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
hey vendor, i get that we invited you out for a demo of your software.

two hours is too loving long you dipshits. Cut that poo poo down to what differentiates you, what stands out, and then let us ask questions.

I'm not sitting here all afternoon for tiny details of poo poo we already do with our current software.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer

SlowBloke posted:

I do use it for a personal domain(free tier), given it's lacklustre support, tendency to get stuck into every mail blocklist known to man due to its free customers and unreliable IMAP/ActiveSync implementation i would never, ever suggest it as a paid alternative to gapps or o365.

Stevewm, put this in terms of "cost of ownership," and "poor customer experience" for a better shot at convincing your boss that you get what you pay for.

Whatever they're going to save in costs of email, they're going to spend in additional support and having to fix this poo poo this breaks.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Our Security team that agreed on a base set of assumptions about a new cloud setup for us 3 months ago suddenly decided to change their mind and told our junior dev to start revoking access, api keys, and changing SG to put the new turnup at an immediately halt but they didn't inform our people working on it or the new developers we were onboarding. It went so well I had to disconnect from a conference call mid-call and go walk around outside for 30 minutes. I might be getting to involved in this job and need to calm my poo poo down.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Virigoth posted:

poo poo pissing me off: AWS Trusted Advisor has a bug on our us-east-1 account limit in Production for an instance size. It shows our account limit for c4.larges as 20 and we have 1443 running. I can manually launch an instance so we're ok there but my loving limit monitor script won't stop paging me with a high alert because of this. I talked to Premium Support and the guy was about 3 IQ points from brain dead I think. I got it escalated up the chain so hopefully someone can figure out what the hell is going on.

code:

00:04:41
EC2 'Running On-Demand c4.large instances' OK: 1000 (limit=3000)

11:04:09
EC2 'Running On-Demand c4.large instances' OK: 991 (limit=3000)

12:06:49
EC2 'Running On-Demand c4.large instances' usage (991) exceeds critical threshold (limit=20)

A little late, but did you get this resolved?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Agrikk posted:

A little late, but did you get this resolved?

Yeah we did. It sounds like it wasn’t a unique experience for us and they had multiple reports. After the enterprise support was a letdown I pinged my TAM on Hangouts and he escalated for me. I still don’t get why they changed your titles and made you work in “clusters” as I’ve never talked to our new guys but whatever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Our CEO is a part-timer. She's here maybe 2 days a week. So it takes like 3 weeks to get anything loving approved. Ugh.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Minor poo poo that is pissing me off:

loving installers that don't come in MSI and ignore its own arguments.

Oh, so /verysilent is a thing? Ok. I'll try...why am I getting prompted? gently caress you :argh:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Our CEO is a part-timer. She's here maybe 2 days a week. So it takes like 3 weeks to get anything loving approved. Ugh.

Part-time CEO is a thing? Where do I sign up?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

skooma512 posted:

You mean goods and services aren’t free?

I don’t understand this mentality in business. They’re whole raison d’etre is selling things, but act shocked and even offended when they realize labor and services are also things that are for sale and that they not just entitled to them for no cost.

Yeah, currently the plan is to use this as an excuse to expand our network a little bit and host a NAS in a location that's only used for storage of other objects that belong to the company, in a building the company owns.

That way we have a data on site, a backup on site and a backup offsite, with minimal overhead but we'll see if I can get that all pushed through. Sounds like it'll be a fun project and it won't cost us anything if we own the site, its just more to maintain.

Also its easier to sell a one time cost than it is to sell a subscription based cost. Maybe i'll get lucky and he'll say yes? I don't know, maybe I should have worked for a big boy company rather than a small boy company. Lack of certs, though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

1. Own company.
2. Do whatever the gently caress you want.
3. ????

IMO if you don't want to be here full-time hire someone competent to loving run the place.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

I've seen it where the CEO is heading up multiple subsidiary companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
If you want a video playing for 12 noon, maybe don't make it 8 loving gigabytes and send it to us at 11:50