Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

And I'm saying Ramsay doesn't care. He's totally fine with ducks being tortured and he'll happily slaughter pigs until they go extinct. The doc is about the Chinese being backward, primitive, and barely a civilization. The best part was the finale scene where he brings out a group of chinese restaurant owners and lectures them about being monsters in front of a bunch of cameras.
ducks: not endangered or in risk of same
pigs: not endangered or in risk of same
oysters: not endangered or in risk of same
sharks: at risk of going extinct

why is this so hard for you to get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

And I'm saying Ramsay doesn't care. He's totally fine with ducks being tortured and he'll happily slaughter pigs until they go extinct. The doc is about the Chinese being backward, primitive, and barely a civilization.

Pigs are never going to go extinct. Neither are ducks. Not from slaughtering, anyway.

And he is absolutely 100% correct about this practice being backward and primitive. It is not racist, it is a fact. I can agree with him and also think things like fois gras is backwards and primitive...but at least it serves a purpose because it objectively tastes good and isn't used purely as a luxury. Eating a tiger dong or a shark fin or a rhino horn has no purpose.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

All the sharks dying is a small price to pay for not having a white person criticize some chinese people

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

god forbid we criticize non-whites, it's better to just let the entire ocean ecosystem get hosed so some rich people can eat a tasteless soup for hundreds of dollars.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Watching (or trying to) watch videos from Twitter on the Awful app. Sometimes it's fine. Sometimes, it follows this pattern:

- Click Play in app
- wait patiently for it to load
- give up, click the link to load it in the Twitter app
- Watch entire video
- go back to Awful app
- read the next four or five posts
- have a scroll up to pause the in-Awful video that finally decided to start playing.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
My boss works offsite almost exclusively, and is notorious for scheduling calls with people and either no-showing or being ridiculously late.

We were supposed to talk yesterday. Before our call, I had sent her a few emails making sure we were still on, and she was being super washy-washy about it and never gave me a straight answer. So I made sure to be waiting at my desk just in case. She never ended up calling, so after an hour I gave up on waiting and went on with my life.

Except I guess she did actually call, and my poo poo work soft-phone didn't ring or register that she had called at all. Two hours later it finally showed up that she had left me a message, by which point she was already done for the day. So basically I ended up looking like a moron when I had been waiting for her the whole time. Sigh.

Today I apologized and rescheduled with her for 1:30. Now it is 2:42 and she of course has still not called. I tested my work phone to see if it was working today and it seems to be (receiving other calls), but who knows, and now I'm paranoid. Ugh this situation is so freaking stupid.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

genetic_knockout posted:

My boss works offsite almost exclusively, and is notorious for scheduling calls with people and either no-showing or being ridiculously late.

We were supposed to talk yesterday. Before our call, I had sent her a few emails making sure we were still on, and she was being super washy-washy about it and never gave me a straight answer. So I made sure to be waiting at my desk just in case. She never ended up calling, so after an hour I gave up on waiting and went on with my life.

Except I guess she did actually call, and my poo poo work soft-phone didn't ring or register that she had called at all. Two hours later it finally showed up that she had left me a message, by which point she was already done for the day. So basically I ended up looking like a moron when I had been waiting for her the whole time. Sigh.

Today I apologized and rescheduled with her for 1:30. Now it is 2:42 and she of course has still not called. I tested my work phone to see if it was working today and it seems to be (receiving other calls), but who knows, and now I'm paranoid. Ugh this situation is so freaking stupid.

I absolutely hate people who aren't punctual. If you say to meet me in your office at 10 and you aren't there by 10:05 the meeting is cancelled to me unless you have a good reason. I'm not going to sit around emailing and calling you trying to make the meeting happen. I have my own poo poo to do.

I guess with calls it's a little different but in my current job I'm sick of going down 3 flights of stairs at the scheduled time only to be told "come back in 5 minutes" and then "sorry we're still talking, come back in 10 minutes" and so on. Don't schedule times unless you mean them. I'm looking at you, doctors/dentists.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I always find amusing with Ramsay's Nightmare class of shows is the number of people who are like "The gently caress does this white English (scottish really but everyone he visits seems not to know that in the US version) dude know about Chinese/Indian/Mexican cuisine? It's supposed to be dry and bland." and I'm like dude, he has travelled around the world and learned with the best chefs available. He is culinary Batman over here - he has probably forgotten more about your local cuisine than you ever learned.

This actually goes with a peeve that I have, which is when people display a lack of respect for someone elses work. A few years ago, Vic Reeves attempted a dumb joke in which he went to one of Ramsey's restaurants and deliberately ordered off menu, with the humble nature of the request being part of the joke - he ordered "two fried eggs on a china plate with some bread". Then got belligerent about it when Ramsay refused - however for most of the joke he wasn't interacting with Ramsay, but his waiter, and the poor guy ended up stuck in the worst situation, between a furious chef known for his temper and some idiot stoking the flame. Of course, Ramsay didn't even see who the guest was until near the end of the situation so he was just blowing up at the waiter who couldn't really do anything. Of course the timing was bad, Ramsay was in the middle of a dinner rush with 400 covers in each round, so already stressed so of course he blew up. Anyone would. The bad guy in the situation was unquestionably Vic Reeves. He seems not to care that Ramsay isn't just a famous face selling books, he has an actual day job.

According to anecdotes from other customers, apparently Ramsay is really nice in person, just highly strung, especially when dealing with incompetence in his craft. He yells because he cares, about the chefs he berates because he wants to see them do better, about the food they are loving up and showing no respect for, and about the customers that they are supposed to be looking after. He gets so furious because they should know better.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

As I understand he got the shouty high strung thing from the chef who trained him, but as long as you're putting an effort in as a chef and respecting the ingredients he's very laid back. I'm not going to pretend ike he's perfect but if you think he's just some model cast as a celebrity chef who knows nothing about food you're extremely wrong.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I'm in the middle of rewatching kitchen nightmares USA atm actually. When people try he is super nice to them and obvs wants them to do well. In the UK version he got one young girl a work experience stint in a Michelin star place because she tried so hard and uprooted her whole life and then her fuckup sister ruined everything anyway.

The US-version editing of KN is a pet peeve, it's so ridiculously over dramatised and it doesn't need to beeeeee it makes the actual events a disappointment when you've built it up to be an EPIC SHOWDOWN when it's actually just Gordon smashing plates/burning decor for fun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I overall like about his shows is how obvious it is when someone genuinely didn't know how bad things were and takes steps to resolve it, like the girl who ran the restaurant like it was her catering company - when the service is falling apart during the fresh food relaunch due to her chef losing her spark after losing a cookoff between herself the owner and Ramsay (Ramsay was trying to spark her creativity, it backfired because she realised she didn't have any, got nervous and froze. Sparked the hell out of the owner though), the owner jumps in and starts barking orders and cooking up a storm and just Ramsaying the kitchen into shape. For someone who had become so complacent it was downright inspiring to see that transformation.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Anyway, my point wasn't that Ramsay is a perfect human being, it was that he was correct that cutting off a shark's limbs alive and leaving them to either drown on the ocean floor or be eaten alive by other fish is cruel and wrong. I'm sorry that people like mu zeta can't bring themselves to agree to such a nuanced and ambiguous stance.

e: for extra emphasis, insert "endangered" before every sharks in the previous post

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

Vic Reeves attempted a dumb joke
Of course he did. Vic Reeves has never been funny, even by accident.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have little to add except this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1NfWIaYed8

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
As a french person i am horribly offended at mu zeta’s anglo rear end preaching at me about foie gras

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ok ja I think this derail has gone on for long enough thank you.

lil pun joke their for my pals in the know (do stop the derail though)

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Just because my sister in law accidentally had a kid doesn’t mean everyone needs to prefix my name with “uncle” every time we are all together. That poo poo is grating.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

LargeHadron posted:

Just because my sister in law accidentally had a kid doesn’t mean everyone needs to prefix my name with “uncle” every time we are all together. That poo poo is grating.

Oh uncle LargeHadron, you are such a grumpy old gus.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I hate how minimally staffed european grocery stores are. They run it so the lines (often just one line) are like constantly the same length. Like at american ones like publix etc there are usually so many registers staffed that you can find an empty one or one with like one person in line, but here it's always "get stuck behind 4 old ladies that take forever to count out exact change" no matter when you go.

My reason for this being a peeve is kind of dumb (I get kind of claustrophobic+nauseous when I'm trapped in the narrow aisles for a long time) but it still bothers me. Why can't they get with the future and at least install some self checkouts?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

european

get with the future

good luck with that

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
loving tech support chats.

Hi there, so your Sunday tech came out to see about moving our router/modem to the back of the house because we have low coverage there. He couldn't find a coax line and said we wouldn't be charged. Then a bill for $75 shows up today, and we argue with the tech lady who apologizes, waives the fee, and tells us a certified Cox rep can install a coax input for $25. I called in to set this up and was informed it was $75 every two feet of cable.

loving HELL AT LEAST MAKE YOUR LIES MATCH UP!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I often dream about a library full of occult tomes and volumes of forbidden knowledge. The library is never in the same place, but it always contains the same material. There is one book that I'm attracted to every time I visit, but each time I find it and try to read it, the words are garbled and illegible. My pet peeve is that I can not understand the hidden knowledge the book possesses.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I often dream about a library full of occult tomes and volumes of forbidden knowledge. The library is never in the same place, but it always contains the same material. There is one book that I'm attracted to every time I visit, but each time I find it and try to read it, the words are garbled and illegible. My pet peeve is that I can not understand the hidden knowledge the book possesses.

Take solace in that this is how Batman discovered he was dreaming in that one episode of the animated series.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Take solace in that this is how Batman discovered he was dreaming in that one episode of the animated series.

I liked how that episode ended:

Batman tackles the Mad Hatter into the wall.
Batman: "WHY?"
Hatter: "I would have given you any life you wanted. Just to keep you out of mine..."

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

This still sounds like a neat dream, though. I love recurring dreams.

My dream pet peeve is that every time I figure out that I'm in a dream I have just enough time to think "Oh hey-- I'm dreaming. Neat!" before dream-me suddenly shoots up into the air and I wake up without getting to do anything cool.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I had a dream last night that I was trying to explain the rules of a party game to a table of 20+ people. The rules were overly convoluted and kept adding more and more absurd new elements (new decks of cards, hand signals, a loving APP), people kept talking over me, leaving and coming back... and it went on for ages. It was horrible.

What is the evolutionary purpose of bad dreams? This one was super mild and more of an annoyance than anything else, but I've (VERY rarely) had nightmares so bad that I wake myself up sobbing, or sleep paralysis where I'm trying desperately to shout for help but it's just weird muffled moaning, which is a great way to freak out new partners. Why is that a thing that my brain can do to me?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Quit sleeping on your back.

No, really. I used to get horrible sleep paralysis and ptsd nightmares and both have calmed down considerably one I starred sleeping on my side. It's very weird but it works.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Guests consisting of an elderly husband and wife couple where the husband insists on dominating the proceedings, even though he's deaf or doddering or short-tempered, and his extremely capable and friendly wife has to act as an intermediate when her husband inevitably fails to hear me, understand something about the process, or keep his head on. It's worse on the phone where the husband picks up and, even though I'm calling for his wife, he asks her all the questions and I can hear her answering them in the background. Sometimes the husband gets so befuddled and frustrated that he has to hand the phone to his wife, who then gives me all the information I need without any fuss, and then gives the phone back to her husband so he can hang up on me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I hate how minimally staffed european grocery stores are. They run it so the lines (often just one line) are like constantly the same length. Like at american ones like publix etc there are usually so many registers staffed that you can find an empty one or one with like one person in line, but here it's always "get stuck behind 4 old ladies that take forever to count out exact change" no matter when you go.

My reason for this being a peeve is kind of dumb (I get kind of claustrophobic+nauseous when I'm trapped in the narrow aisles for a long time) but it still bothers me. Why can't they get with the future and at least install some self checkouts?

I don't know if this is a Canada law or a Quebec law, but here on Sundays grocery stores are only allowed a minimal level of staff which apparently makes Sunday prime shoplifting day.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I was working on a job application with 10+ questions that required at least a paragraph answer each, which is a pet peeve all on its own, but I was working on it periodically in between doing other things and apparently I took too long, because the second I finished the last question and clicked "next" it sent me back to the login page. All my answers are gone. So I guess I don't loving need that job.

Sociopastry posted:

Quit sleeping on your back.

No, really. I used to get horrible sleep paralysis and ptsd nightmares and both have calmed down considerably one I starred sleeping on my side. It's very weird but it works.

Huh... that's interesting. I usually sleep on my side, but now that I think about it, all the weird poo poo happened on rare occasions that I slept on my back.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I sleep on my side mostly, so I actually got a special pillow designed to support the neck in that position. It's kind of a cuboid shape. Although after some time it turns into a wedge.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Nettles Coterie posted:

Huh... that's interesting. I usually sleep on my side, but now that I think about it, all the weird poo poo happened on rare occasions that I slept on my back.

One of my peeves is people attributing textbook descriptions of sleep paralysis to the supernatural like alien invasions or demon activity. My mom to this day thinks she was almost abducted by aliens because she had a sleep paralysis experience where a stereotypical gray alien was pounding on the glass door in her bedroom that leads out to the pool area and she couldn't move or speak and as soon as she was able to move it was gone. Even ignoring the fact that it's just sleep paralysis, logically t's a loving alien ,they have spaceships and stuff, they don't need to knock on the door. Of course when I tried to tell her it was not a botched alien abduction I get called a know-it-all jerk.

So thanks for not doing that, I guess.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to believe

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Nettles Coterie posted:

I was working on a job application with 10+ questions that required at least a paragraph answer each, which is a pet peeve all on its own, but I was working on it periodically in between doing other things and apparently I took too long, because the second I finished the last question and clicked "next" it sent me back to the login page. All my answers are gone. So I guess I don't loving need that job.

Get one of those pregnancy pillows. Those are so loving comfy and it'll keep you from rolling onto your back.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Automatically redirecting websites based on the country you're in. I typed indeed.com, not indeed.de, I know where I'm trying to go. At least ask first before just setting taking me to the german site, or at least give me something to click to take me to the US version.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Automatically redirecting websites based on the country you're in. I typed indeed.com, not indeed.de, I know where I'm trying to go. At least ask first before just setting taking me to the german site, or at least give me something to click to take me to the US version.

The worst is when you try to go to a specific page and it redirects you to the homepage. Sure, maybe it would be helpful to show me your Australian store instead of your American one but only if I can actually see the product I'm interested in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've had a weird issue with a specific site where on Firefix if I go to the .ca version, I get redirected to the .com but it works fine in Chrome.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Why is it that people have to post pictures of themselves, with their tongue hanging out like a drat dog, when they're posting selfies post-exercise group? Will we not all believe you've been exercising super hard if you just smile for your selfie instead of panting and looking ready to pass out?

There's a guy who I'm vague acquaintances with on Facebook who likes to post pictures of himself post workout every single day and every single picture he has his tongue hanging out, but once in awhile I get treated two pictures of him and his wife and their entire exercise Troop All with their tongues hanging out like the worst group of real dolls ever.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I hate that too, and also trying to make a wacky face in every photo in general. Just smile like a normal person and stop trying to look like a stereotypical youtuber thumbnail all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The phrase "slice of life", ugh.