Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The Gate posted:

Does the dwarf have a single melee weapon with light attacks that can hit more than like, 1-2 enemies? It's frustrating as gently caress trying to deal with a horde as him, mostly just sitting there blocking while other characters actually kill things. Trying to heavy attack just gets you poked. Meanwhile as the elf or holy poo poo man you can clear an entire horde in seconds by spamming light attacks while barely even needing to dodge or block. Or is this the realm of SLAYER MODE only for him?

In other news, I crafted a longbow on the elf that has a trait that gains 3 ammo on a crit, and now it has effectively infinite ammo against hordes. It's amazing.

1h Mace, pick both do this.

I still say the Warhammer (for both baradin and kruber) is the premier horde sweepers, but there's a cadence to using the charged attacks that you have to get use to. First thing to note is that you don't have to hold down the mouse for the full duration, there is no extra damage for charging longer, it's just there to help time your swing. Once you charge enough to cock the weapon back you're going to do a charged attack. Secondly, after you do your charged attack you need to immediately back or side dodge to escape whomever you didn't hit and to give you space to start cocking the next charged attack. Thirdly, while you can reliably stun pretty much everyone but chaos warriors and bosses, there will be times where you aren't going to have enough time to swing without getting hit, so use your blocks. You can block cancel even if you are still in a swing animation so if your timing is off you can de-commit by blocking. Bardain's greataxe behaves very similarly, it's killier on the charged attack but it won't hit as many things.

The 1h mace (without shield) is going to handle a lot like Kerellian's 1h sword. You get 2-3 attacks of a wide sweep that'll hit ~4 guys and will also knock around slave and clanrats, and your charge attack is a big double handed overhead swing that's good for pasting stormvermin and chaos warriors. The final hit of the combo is an overhead swing that hits a single enemy but also penetrates armor for reasonably good damage.

The pick will be a lot slower but it stacks up similar to Kruber's executioner sword or Kerellian's greatsword. It's slow but it's surprisingly killy, and uncharged attacks will penetrate armor on storms (it won't do a lot of damage, but it's usually enough to knock them out of animations), the pick has one of the strongest charged attacks in the game and is the only example of charging longer to do more damage. The fully charged overhead swing does an absolute shitload of damage and will even maul bosses pretty badly. The fully charged pick overhead + strength potion will actually probably 2 or three shot a chaos warrior from full health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Gate posted:

I can't use the bow on him because of the lack of accuracy. Nothing like missing two headshots on a special at medium range thanks to RNG on the accuracy, or watching an arrow fly juuuuust over the heads of an entire horde for the same reason. He's good up close with it, but at that range I'd rather use the repeater instead and not have to worry about aiming as precisely.

The really weird thing about that lumberjack longbow is the way it gets less accurate when aimed, unlike every other bow (and ranged weapon in general)

It hits like a freight train but it’s a hard weapon to like, between the inverse accuracy, slowing you down when shooting or stopping you entirely when aiming, and the massive length of time after shooting that it prevents you from switching to melee to block. It grew on me fast but its disadvantages are not always something you can work around

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Is there a discord where we can group up with other goons for the release tomorrow?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
we need 5 separate discords, IMHO

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Agrajag posted:

Is there a discord where we can group up with other goons for the release tomorrow?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Some rat/chaos killing hero should remake the OP and put the Discord in it. :)

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Night10194 posted:

It's actually more accurate if you snap the shot right before he zooms in.

Yeah, but even so it's still very inaccurate even if you get it right before the zoom. It's super counterintuitive on top of being mediocre. All I ended up using it for was mass firing into crowds and closer special kills.

DeathSandwich posted:

1h Mace, pick both do this.
I still say the Warhammer (for both baradin and kruber) is the premier horde sweepers, but there's a cadence to using the charged attacks that you have to get use to. First thing to note is that you don't have to hold down the mouse for the full duration, there is no extra damage for charging longer, it's just there to help time your swing. Once you charge enough to cock the weapon back you're going to do a charged attack. Secondly, after you do your charged attack you need to immediately back or side dodge to escape whomever you didn't hit and to give you space to start cocking the next charged attack. Thirdly, while you can reliably stun pretty much everyone but chaos warriors and bosses, there will be times where you aren't going to have enough time to swing without getting hit, so use your blocks. You can block cancel even if you are still in a swing animation so if your timing is off you can de-commit by blocking. Bardain's greataxe behaves very similarly, it's killier on the charged attack but it won't hit as many things.

Good to know, I had the mace and shield and it felt really slow and didn't seem to hit enough. I played V1 a good bit (but not tons) so I mostly have the rhythm down. The warhammer for him just seems to swing for ages before it actually starts to hit, I canceled so many attacks on accident with the mace halfway across the screen and still not landing hits.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
does the whatever tomorrow run until launch?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

we need 5 separate discords, IMHO

and a mumble in a pear tree....

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

does the whatever tomorrow run until launch?

Consider it a head start.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
There any point installing the closed test if I just got this, or should I just be waiting for the advance release tomorrow?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’d just wait since it will probably be a different client to download.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

as far as i know the closed test ended last night. the open test for people who preordered starts tomorrow. we currently live in the void between the two

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I only tried Kruber

Im sure they are all fun, but any recommendations for someone who hardly has played Vermintide period?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

I only tried Kruber

Im sure they are all fun, but any recommendations for someone who hardly has played Vermintide period?

Play the elf.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The Gate posted:

Yeah, but even so it's still very inaccurate even if you get it right before the zoom. It's super counterintuitive on top of being mediocre. All I ended up using it for was mass firing into crowds and closer special kills.

Good to know, I had the mace and shield and it felt really slow and didn't seem to hit enough. I played V1 a good bit (but not tons) so I mostly have the rhythm down. The warhammer for him just seems to swing for ages before it actually starts to hit, I canceled so many attacks on accident with the mace halfway across the screen and still not landing hits.

IIRC the single mace swings a touch faster than mace and shield, or at least it did in game 1. It's pretty comparable to Kerillian's single sword if you've used it.

If you didn't like charging the Warhammer for the wide swings, give the pick a shot because it has a wide swipe for its uncharged attack and the supercharge is a loving wrecking ball on stormvermin and rothelms. It was seriously one of the best weapons in the first game for a reason.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

eonwe posted:

I only tried Kruber

You started on top, Kruber über alles.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mordja posted:

You started on top, Kruber über alles.

Kruber's the hero the Empire needs.

They're all good, though. Everyone is fun to play.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

thanks

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

eonwe posted:

I only tried Kruber

all of em are fun

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

eonwe posted:

I only tried Kruber

None of the characters are inacessable. Everyone starts with good middle of the road easy to use weapons and can end rats with impunity. Everyone has the same base health and run speed so it's not like the dwarf is inherently slower or the elf more frail. The flavor is going to come from the career passives/actives and at high level everyone has the capacity to be silly broken good (slayer bardain and shade kerellian can 3-4 shot bosses under the right circumstances, Huntsman Kruber and BH Saltspyre can get obnoxiously big headshots, see that Sienna end of mission .jpg digirat posted a couple pages back). There will be some mechanics to get use to (for example, not overheating and blowing yourself up as the wizard or dwarf) but it's not like you're going to be inherently bad at someone just because they have a high skill ceiling or anything. You can pick up and play anyone and make jolly fun bashing rats.

Edit: I'll start working on a Vermintide 2 OP if nobody else wants to step up.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 27, 2018

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

So am I the only one who does not see special effects for sienna's attacks, or for chaos sorcerers teleporting?

I just see her push her hands out and then some rats turn white. And CSorcs literally just pop from one place to another with no animation.

edit: I mean, yeah, I'm playing on lowest graphical settings, but... surely there would still be SOME form of graphic..?

I'm pretty sure the effects aren't done.
I hope they aren't, cause they don't look super good on the highest, they're worse than V1

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Playing the dwarf in tall grass is either very immersive or very annoying.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Edit: I'll start working on a Vermintide 2 OP if nobody else wants to step up.

Pm me if you need headers or pictures fixed if you do set it up

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I was about to ask if we were going to get a new thread.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fat Samurai posted:

its both

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Grondoth posted:

I'm pretty sure the effects aren't done.
I hope they aren't, cause they don't look super good on the highest, they're worse than V1

Yeah pretty sure the wizard particles are still WIP, like there's a super detailed and beautiful burst of sparks that fly away when the repeater handgun is fired but I flat-out don't see the wizard making particles from some staves at all--I just see the wizard making a hadouken gesture and nearby rats suddenly burst into flames

I wouldn't really mind if that never changed though

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I would do it but I'd wait until March 8th personally.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Just don’t have me do it. I’m the kiss of death for game OPs (see Destiny 2/Marvel Heroes/Future Fight).

I’m gonna sit this OP out. Glad to see somebody else jumped on it.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I only found out from this thread that discharging heat damaged Sienna. I thought the heat being above that first bar was what was damaging me so I was manually discharging constantly. I am good at vidyas

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Agrajag posted:

all of em are fun

Sienna was the only one I didn't enjoy in the first game. I mostly played Kruber though with a shield. My buddy played Baradin with a shield, and we'd take turns standing at choke points while our friends playing Sienna and Kerillian would murder stuff

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Lunethex posted:

I would do it but I'd wait until March 8th personally.

This. People are still collectively figuring out how to play the game before we can hold forth on how to best play the game. Part of the problem is the game doesn't exist yet in a meaningful sense at least for another day.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

I wish he was shorter in comparison to the other characters because it would be endlessly amusing to me while playing him, but it'd probably cause some issues with melee headshots.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What I've seen so far does make me pretty excited for ratfighting, though.

Could do with more rats and a few less football boys though. I know the numbers are about equal but since they take longer to kill, the football fans stand out.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I was thinking about this and maybe vermintide 3 if they add a new team then. But in either case, I think maps being 100% one faction and known before hand would probably make choosing weapons better.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Orv posted:

I wish he was shorter in comparison to the other characters because it would be endlessly amusing to me while playing him, but it'd probably cause some issues with melee headshots.

His viewpoint is shorter and I’ve actually always preferred the axe on saltz over bardin just because it’s so much easier to hit the head. Haven’t used him hardly at all in the new game but I imagine it’s even more noticeable with chaos.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Digirat posted:

His viewpoint is shorter and I’ve actually always preferred the axe on saltz over bardin just because it’s so much easier to hit the head. Haven’t used him hardly at all in the new game but I imagine it’s even more noticeable with chaos.

It is. Headshotting the big great weapon guys or Warriors as Bardin is harder than as Saltzpyre.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Digirat posted:

I mean shorter than he is even now. He comes up to like, chest height on everyone else, and around belly on the Chaos Warriors. It'd just be really funny to me to be a tiny crotch and ankle destroying whirlwind even more than he already is.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

All the melee weapons I tested except for the executioner sword had massively nerfed headshot damage compared to the first game, so unless bardin has a weapon with an actually good headshot modifier I might just stop aiming for the head with him entirely and become the terror of shins everywhere, especially because you can now cut off both legs with one swing which is amazing

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The extra dismemberment definitely adds to the rat-splattering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BERGfu posted:

Pm me if you need headers or pictures fixed if you do set it up

What are you going to play tomorrow???

• Locked thread