Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I know they are applying the patch but does it really take this long on average to go through this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
they mentioned off-hand on the live stream that it takes 9 hours to update the servers

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Absolutely agree, but they should also autoplay as a loading screen at least once.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I know they are applying the patch but does it really take this long on average to go through this?

All major updates have been a day-long process, yes.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

they mentioned off-hand on the live stream that it takes 9 hours to update the servers

That's also what they posted on their forums.

Though you really shouldn't go there. It's....unpleasant.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Gyrotica posted:

That's also what they posted on their forums.

Though you really shouldn't go there. It's....unpleasant.

I went to see. Warning: toxic damage.

In reference to new voice packs:

quote:

NOT COOL FRONTIER

I will never buy one from you. You are deliberately trying to take business away from another company.
I wish I could say this is the first time you've done this, but it isn't.

NOT COOL FRONTIER.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

I went to see. Warning: toxic damage.

In reference to new voice packs:

I thought they were working with 3rd party voicepack creators?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Any good way to know if I'm way outmatched before I even start a fight?

I flew into a conflict zone and though I'd mess around. I'm in a viper with just 2 pulse lasers. I started by shooting one of the ships, he immediately became hostile and blew me up in seconds (despite also fighting someone else). I also noticed that the weapons I have on the Viper aren't gimballed like the starter sidewinder. Is that a setting on the weapon or the ship?

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Ok, servers done updating and upgrade available. !0 gigs.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Error Code 500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I flew into a conflict zone and though I'd mess around. I'm in a viper with just 2 pulse lasers. I started by shooting one of the ships, he immediately became hostile and blew me up in seconds (despite also fighting someone else). I also noticed that the weapons I have on the Viper aren't gimballed like the starter sidewinder. Is that a setting on the weapon or the ship?
I guess you can see the modules of target ships in sub-targets tab in left HUD. Or estimate it based on their pilot rank. But you should probably head to resource extraction sites instead.

Fixed, gimballed and turreted are types of weapons, you bought a fixed weapon, now you need to exchange it for a gimballed weapon at the station.

Edit: I never used sub-targets tab to estimate threat, actually. It might be a dumb advice.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 27, 2018

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Avoid conflict zones until you know what you're doing, they can get pretty hairy.

Generally you can get a good enough assumption based on ship types, and then after that use Commander rank (e.g. a harmless eagle is probably a joke despite being zippy, a dangerous eagle could kill you). Whether or not they're in a wing and who else is in that wing is also important.

I haven't really run into a situation where it's relevant or necessary to check submodules of the target, but YMMV.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If you're very into Elite, patch day is always a fun day to puruse the oforums for all sorts of premium grognard content. Even better if you're on a discord and someone else is digging it up.

And then the servers come up and it's mad dash to try the new things and see if anything broke. The joys of finding things are better than imagined and the :nallears: as people gripe about whatever is bothering them. The absolute anxiety as the crazy BGS people look to see if anything looks wrong.

Here's to hoping nothing shits the bed too bad. Especially since I can't get into the game to take advantage of it or see the insanity with my own eyes.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I entered a high intensity conflict zone once yesterday in my lovely 5k rebuy eagle and was fragged before I had the time to scan any of those 5 big imperial ships of the faction I was sent to hurt :v

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So the servers are still down and likely for the rest of the day? On Xbox the patch downloaded but it says “93% installation in progress” next to all of the play modes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

my cleint in the pc version has been syncing files now for like 2 hours

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Just in case anyone didn't know, servers are up.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I have been away from elite since, like, forever - this new beyond thing, is that part of a new season or will I get it for free? (I own horizons)

And, is there anything significantly different that might make me want to come back? Last time I logged in was before thargoids were revealed, I think. It was just too much grind, having to spend a half hour each time just to change loadout / move around to where I want to be, and zero hope of upgrading beyond my perfect trifecta of slightly engineered Asp/Vulture/python (the new chieftain ship looks baller though) since costs just go exponentially up into the hundreds of millions

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 27, 2018

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

You can now listen to galnet news, neat.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, PSA from a programmer:

IF YOU ENCOUNTER A BUG, REPORT IT.

If you think someone else has reported it, STILL REPORT IT.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

TorakFade posted:

I have been away from elite since, like, forever - this new beyond thing, is that part of a new season or will I get it for free? (I own horizons)

Horizons is the last paid xpac, yeah. They said they're making enough money from the store to release the new seasons for free.

If you hated the game before, you'll probably still hate it now as the underlying formula is still the same besides having at least some reason to wing up and fight the big bad Thargoids.

E: To better answer the question: Beyond is a new season that's also free. So having Horizons means you're all set.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 27, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The diamond frogs insignia is now in game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Oh god the galnet audio in french is terrifying.

E: The Covas Victor voice is pretty great though.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 27, 2018

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Rynoto posted:

Oh god the galnet audio in french is terrifying.

E: The Covas Victor voice is pretty great though.

It's pretty much Jarvis, which rules.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TorakFade posted:

And, is there anything significantly different that might make me want to come back? Last time I logged in was before thargoids were revealed, I think. It was just too much grind, having to spend a half hour each time just to change loadout / move around to where I want to be, and zero hope of upgrading beyond my perfect trifecta of slightly engineered Asp/Vulture/python (the new chieftain ship looks baller though) since costs just go exponentially up into the hundreds of millions

This patch is pretty much when the game transitioned from "poo poo that appeals only to space spergs" to "appeals to normal people".

Its still really grindy, and its still shallow. But a lot of quality of life improvements went in.

So if you enjoy tinkering with your ship outfitting, doing missions with friends, or exploring alien relics, now is a good time to get back in. If you hate those things and are looking for more directed gameplay, look elsewhere.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Victor is the sci fi cockpit voice I’ve always needed.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I swear they purposefully made Victor say 'Friendship Drive Charging' this time. I can't be that crazy.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So is the chieftain just a step in between say the vulture and the FAS or can it compete with an FAS?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I still think the Vulture is better than the Chieftan, personally. It's a good looking ship that doesn't seem to have a place except as a non-factioned medium fighter.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It looks like contact sort order was rearanged from "stations first" to "nearest target" and I'm super pissed y'all

e: engineers is mostly fine now but gently caress I still don't have any arsenic

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 28, 2018

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I just did a little trip to re-engineer my FSD with the new system. I had to find two different material brokers, and stumbled upon a third, as well as a guardian tech dude. It was actually a fun, engaging experience all the way through.

Protip- you don't need external sources to find mat traders - they won't be on your map until you land at their station, but you can find them pretty easily by looking in systems with at least a 3 million population and at least medium security. You'll want to look in certain systems for their respective material types- data traders are in high tech systems, raw mat traders are in extraction economies, and manufactured mats are in industrial systems. Look at the station services in the system map before you go, because it will say if they have a material trader or not!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Where do you get guardian tech and what do you do with it?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

You need to find a guardian tech dealer. They are all over, but the easy one is at Jameson Memorial. There are a few items, all of them require materials to unlock, so you'll have to find a guardian site and collect materials. Once unlocked though, it is forever unlocked.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

On Galnet they mention 3 Guardian locations that you can go to and farm materials and data. There are guardian type skimmers to kill and lots to scoop up. There are some basic puzzles too.

quote:

The engineer Ram Tah, a leading expert on the mysterious Guardians, has requested help in locating undiscovered sites from the ancient alien race. He has issued the following statement:

“The artefacts recently delivered to me have been subjected to intense molecular analysis. As a result, I have deduced the possibility of Guardian sites in three specific systems: Col 173 Sector QU-O d6-25, HD 63154 and Synuefe EU-Q c21-10.”

“I urge the galactic community to investigate these systems, where I believe we may find further traces of the Guardians’ ancient civilisation. I appreciate that this could be a wild goose chase, but data from such sites – if they exist – would be extremely valuable.”

Ram Tah has asked that any data be delivered to him at Phoenix Base in the Meene system.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 28, 2018

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
FYI this patch hosed up throttling down mid-hyperspace jump. So if you are like me and your throttle down to zero during a jump, when you come out of it, you will be at full throttle, so don't get up to go do something while you wait for the next system to pop in.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so is guardian stuff just s rank stuff or what

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

FYI this patch hosed up throttling down mid-hyperspace jump. So if you are like me and your throttle down to zero during a jump, when you come out of it, you will be at full throttle, so don't get up to go do something while you wait for the next system to pop in.

I haven't played yet post patch but Reddit said that it works if you throttle down during the countdown.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I haven't played yet post patch but Reddit said that it works if you throttle down during the countdown.

The brownseamen are getting all hoppin' mad about it, but isn't that the way it's always worked? Killing thrust during the countdown has been the way I've done it for years; for me, zeroing down during the witchspace screen is was unreliable as gently caress

edit: Not that I care either way; I pay attention to my ship and therefore don't fly into stars :smugbert:

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 28, 2018

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Crack train's running again at dav's hope

edit: by that I mean you can use instance scumming to farm firmware from the data point at Dav's Hope. That includes Cracked Industrial Firmware, which is one of the things you need for lvl 5 dirty drives.

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 28, 2018

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
How did the new patch affect the tediousness and time-consumingness of doing engineer upgrades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

How did the new patch affect the tediousness and time-consumingness of doing engineer upgrades?

There's a finite end to engineering a module now. With enough rolls, you can get the best possible version of the module. It used to be that you had to re-roll a bunch of times, and maybe never get the best possible result.

Also, you can trade easy-to-farm materials for rare ones at new material trader contacts, which should make it easier to roll lots of different engineering modules.

The bad thing: you have to upgrade each individual module all the way from lvl 1 to lvl 5 one-at-a-time. That means more rolls overall, even though requirements for the rolls are easier to come by.

No apparent change to the unlock requirements for each engineer.

• Locked thread