Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Leglock friends/satanic reap beasts. You know when you take high mount on somebody flexible, and they invert behind you, and use their feet to try and knock you off the top? Is there a leg attack of some kind that I can hit off that? A few people at my gym do it by putting their feet in my armpits. I can get a grip around one ankle (leaving one of my hands free to post) but I can’t work out a way to damage the foot from that angle/grip. It’s like a straight ankle grip but upside down.

I feel like you could relatively easily dismount to a number of ashi positions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I'd be interested in a counter to that technique too. I thought about trying belly-down ankle locks in response but it doesn't really work for me.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Leglock friends/satanic reap beasts. You know when you take high mount on somebody flexible, and they invert behind you, and use their feet to try and knock you off the top? Is there a leg attack of some kind that I can hit off that? A few people at my gym do it by putting their feet in my armpits. I can get a grip around one ankle (leaving one of my hands free to post) but I can’t work out a way to damage the foot from that angle/grip. It’s like a straight ankle grip but upside down.

The back roll escape? You can try to get a toehold in the scramble, but really the answer is to just be in S mount if you're that high so they can't try that poo poo in the first place.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The problem with trying to hit a leg lock from that is that you can get a grip on the leg but you don't have inside position with the legs i.e. you have no leg control position. You'll have to transition into one in order to submit.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

It would be a little earlier in the sequence but if you block the leg when they try to hook it in, you could transition to a cradle hiplock.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Great I have to remove the loving patch because everyone said how they liked it on reddit. Thanks

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Toehold? In the alternative, you've got mount, so just flattening out and waiting for them to calm down so you can continue to grind them into dust in mount is always a good thing.

Thinking out loud, you have no real mechanism of injury even if you had an ideal grip, because you have nothing that's constraining their hip/knee structure. Without control, there's nothing preventing them from escaping the submission attempt.

If you wanted to get really crazy...

E;fb, by people that are no doubt better than I.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yuns posted:

The problem with trying to hit a leg lock from that is that you can get a grip on the leg but you don't have inside position with the legs i.e. you have no leg control position. You'll have to transition into one in order to submit.

What would your preferred solution be if somebody tried that mount escape on you?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The back roll escape? You can try to get a toehold in the scramble, but really the answer is to just be in S mount if you're that high so they can't try that poo poo in the first place.

I tend to go from low mount to high mount to s-mount, but I lose it at high mount. Maybe I should be trying to establish the prerequisites for s-mount before I put my leg over.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

God damnit, they just announced the Craig Jones seminar in Thailand and there was a deal on roundtrip flights on Singapore Air that expired yesterday. I'm now looking at blowing all my AMEX points.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What would your preferred solution be if somebody tried that mount escape on you?
I would lean forward. Are people actually successfully hitting that escape in your class?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

A pair of bendy blue belts hassle me with it, it must be working on somebody. My gym is... not world class. I’m not getting swept but I am getting annoyed. I was hoping for a way to punish the habit, in the same way you would footlock a person who crosses their feet in back control, or von flue a person who won’t let go of a failed guillotine.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Stating the obvious here probably but it helps me so much to think about techniques after class. The thing is though it doesn't need to be extensive- just once before bed, zoning in the car, whatever. Just thinking about the technique once for 5 minutes can be the difference between it becoming part of my game or forgotten forever.

Part of the reason BJJ interests me and keeps me engaged is because of how much it touches upon the tactile and visual learning elements in our brains. I've always been an incredibly adept auditory learner. Languages, speech patterns, facts and figures, even just hearing a concept explained vs it being illustrated has always been easy for me to deal in but I probably have a decent deficit in the visual area. BJJ challenges that aspect for me.

Anyways enough boring xanga posts about bjj, it's just something I think about quite a bit considering how I'm inclined.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Yuns posted:

I would lean forward. Are people actually successfully hitting that escape in your class?

I'm pretty sure I have hit this exactly once on everyone that has mounted me up to the brown belt level because they do not assume I'm a bendy boy. it does not work twice.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The one that annoys me is when people try to invert when you're in north-south. Because the counter to it is just smashing the hell out of them. It's like, okay, if you insist...

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The one that annoys me is when people try to invert when you're in north-south. Because the counter to it is just smashing the hell out of them. It's like, okay, if you insist...

I have had success taking the back like this but again it is the grappling equivalent of telling someone they've got something on their shirt & flicking their nose when they look

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Wangsbig posted:

I have had success taking the back like this but again it is the grappling equivalent of telling someone they've got something on their shirt & flicking their nose when they look

There's a brown belt at my gym who can hit these kind of escapes or get to the inverted triangle fairly reliably, but he's freaky flexable and has the approximate proportions of Slender Man.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Wangsbig posted:

When someone does this I do the grappling equivalent of headbutting them in the balls and humping their face, except not an equivalent because that's literally what I'm doing to flatten them back out

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 28, 2018

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

When some does this I do the grappling equivalent of headbutting them in the balls and humping their face, except not an equivalent because that's literally what I'm doing to flatten them back out

my entire game can be and often is easily dismantled by someone laying on me fatly enough

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Octopus guard is cool

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't get scooped like that from mount, but there are a couple dudes who can do it to me when I have scarf - usually tall dudes.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

CommonShore posted:

I don't get scooped like that from mount, but there are a couple dudes who can do it to me when I have scarf - usually tall dudes.

Yeah, I'm 6' 3" and I feel like it's probably the easiest way to escape from scarf hold. Also, the funniest looking

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Wangsbig posted:

I'm pretty sure I have hit this exactly once on everyone that has mounted me up to the brown belt level because they do not assume I'm a bendy boy. it does not work twice.
Interestingly the person using this escape has a better opportunity to leg pummel into a leg lock control position than the person on top. I would prefer countering with an upper body attack first. Lean forward and cradle their head with one arm pulling it up into your chest as an initial reaction to the attempt.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just figured that I'd drop in to say that grappling is good. I love participating in a sport that has moves with names like "diaper check."

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I know what an oil check is, what's a diaper check?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

controlling someone's hip with a high grip on the thigh from the outside toward the inside.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Isn't that essentially a switch?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

Isn't that essentially a switch?

No, sorry, from like side, on the near leg. Diaper check.

[googles "bjj diaper check," checks GIS]

Maybe my club just has weirdos.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Got second in my division at the US Grappling event this weekend. Won two by submission but there's always some 4-stripe who shows up to ruin my day.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Never heard of the diaper check, but I've definitely heard of the oil check.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
doesn't exist

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thread needs a bump so i have a question about a video.

Guy at the gym said that he saw this old black and white footage of fat hairy guys in speedos catch wrestling vid on youtube, but he couldn't find it again. The technique was some kind of chest-spreader pectoral crank thing, done from guard, somehow.

Does this sound familliar to anyone?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Thread needs a bump so i have a question about a video.

Guy at the gym said that he saw this old black and white footage of fat hairy guys in speedos catch wrestling vid on youtube, but he couldn't find it again. The technique was some kind of chest-spreader pectoral crank thing, done from guard, somehow.

Does this sound familliar to anyone?

Are you sure the dude was watching :airquote:catch wrestling:airquote:?

Also, the saddle is a legit as gently caress position. I managed to catch 4 heel hooks and a kimura on a purple belt who is much better/stronger/more dynamic than I, all because he was super lost in the saddle position.

THE FUTURE OF LEGLOCKS IS NOW!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
This probably isn't it but it's pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXXlL5HL1cE&t=22s

You might be able to find it if you search by wigan, billy robinson, karl gotch, or billy riley.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Drewjitsu posted:

Also, the saddle is a legit as gently caress position. I managed to catch 4 heel hooks and a kimura on a purple belt who is much better/stronger/more dynamic than I, all because he was super lost in the saddle position.

Welcome to a position that will make you infamous in the gym when you go against guys that never wanted to learn leglocks.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.
Question for the leg entanglement people/How'd I manage to injure this guy:

I had an outside ashi position against my partner's right hip (Not 50/50). He was on his left knee and right foot (the side I had outside ashi on) with the foot against my left hip. I had some control of the right ankle. I went to bump him to his right with my feet on his right hip (My left foot over my right ankle with the the lateral side of the right ankle against his hip) and popped his knee.

Was this a freak thing or carelessness on my part? I assumed bumping him to his right side would get him to collapse to that side without putting the knee in danger, similar to a single leg x sweep.

WayneCampbell fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 16, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

You assumed that throwing your weight laterally over his planted knee that is supporting his weight with an immobile ankle would end well?

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

JaySB posted:

You assumed that throwing your weight laterally over his planted knee that is supporting his weight with an immobile ankle would end well?

I thought it was the same principal as a waiter sweep or single leg x sweep.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Typically in waiter sweep there's no weight on the leg of the side you're sweeping to. In single leg x the knee isn't immobilized by both your legs being crossed over it and you're pushing them more back than left or right.

Unless I'm wrong. Either way, the knee isn't really meant to take a ton of lateral pressure.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005

JaySB posted:

Typically in waiter sweep there's no weight on the leg of the side you're sweeping to. In single leg x the knee isn't immobilized by both your legs being crossed over it and you're pushing them more back than left or right.

Unless I'm wrong. Either way, the knee isn't really meant to take a ton of lateral pressure.

I think you're right. I can't remember the exact position but I don't believe I was trapping the knee between my legs but it was definitely less free than in either of the two mentioned sweeps. drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

It kind of sounds like you were both messing around in a position you didn't understand, so I'm gonna go ahead and say it's your coach's fault.