Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
capitalism's radical individualist delusion has driven people to such an extremely ludicrous position of being anti-gun but being too afraid to say it and collectively demand it that they would rather save face and preserving an illusion of intellectual legitimacy by declaring "it's easy to talk about getting rid of guns" and shifting the blame to something other than the fact that it is so incredibly easy for someone to walk into a store, buy a weapon designed for military engagement, and mow down civilians that we would rather pretend the murder machine manufacturers have some sort of legitimate entitlement to profit instead of confront the reality that our children are entitled to be raised and educated in an environment that resembles a classroom more than it does a minimum security prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

That's nice but we're going to be grabbing the guns now. I'm sorry about your feelings.

who's the we in that sentence

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Wheeee posted:

polling shows that most of America supports universal healthcare and more equitable wealth distribution

"Guys, GUYS! my studies and polls show that public opinion is on our side!"

*Gets rekt in every election from here until doomsday*

*republicans lol and give themselves another tax break*

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Retromancer posted:

Democrats don't offer either of those things you dumb gently caress

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Taintrunner posted:

capitalism's radical individualist delusion has driven people to such an extremely ludicrous position of being anti-gun but being too afraid to say it and collectively demand it that they would rather save face and preserving an illusion of intellectual legitimacy by declaring "it's easy to talk about getting rid of guns" and shifting the blame to something other than the fact that it is so incredibly easy for someone to walk into a store, buy a weapon designed for military engagement, and mow down civilians that we would rather pretend the murder machine manufacturers have some sort of legitimate entitlement to profit instead of confront the reality that our children are entitled to be raised and educated in an environment that resembles a classroom more than it does a minimum security prison

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sorry you're upset that gun ownership will become strictly regulated in America within the next 8 years.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
it absolutely will not

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a coward's attitude that will never solve this problem.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

no don't you get it? This is the one mass shooting that will cause Republicans to get onboard with real gun control! It's totally unlike the last 50!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

you're operating from a flawed premise, like you can't even be engaged with regarding political reality until your narcissistic belief that everyone secretly shares your desires and are too cowardly to admit it is addressed

your thought processes displayed here are those of a child

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i ain't destroying the capitalist structures that encourage gun violence in this country from my house in rural texas, i'm just trying to keep the lights on while voting for the lesser-but-still-extremely-evil of two, i'm not sure what my attitude has to do with it.

i can be hella positive about effecting meaningful change in this country but until about 500 people get voted out of national office i've only got the max four votes i can use every couple years and they ain't done poo poo the last dozen times

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Retromancer posted:

no don't you get it? This is the one mass shooting that will cause Republicans to get onboard with real gun control! It's totally unlike the last 50!

We don't need the Republicans. They were never on our side, and quite frankly the Democrats constantly tripping over themselves has led us to this mess.

Maybe you're not getting my point. The Tea Party and the NRA and all the CHUDs got everything they wanted by slamming their foot in the ground and refusing to move, and the Democrats insisted that with every compromise, and every knee taken, we'd reach some sort of sensible solution that makes everyone happy. And now look at the mess we're in. Watching liberals and the left shed tears and look in shock as their kids get put in bodybags just for attending school while some JROTC dickhead or some other disillusioned shooter wipes the cafeteria floor, then turn around and go "gosh I sure wish we could get some sensible gun control regulations" instead of making demands and coming from a place of power instead of cowardice.

Being "realistic" doesn't matter anymore. It never did in the first place. You don't need to waste the brainpower tripping over yourselves about what's "sensible" or "realistic" or constantly undercutting anyone demanding full on national gun buybacks & seizures to bring about the end of civilian and police semi-automatic gun ownership, as it will never accomplish anything.

The only way we make progress is coming together very loudly and bluntly. I'm not asking you to be overzealous and hyperbolic because it will make that vision a reality, but at this point it is the only thing that will make actual progress. Pretending to call yourself an adult while your mentality has lost every single step of the way doesn't save a single kid's life.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

We don't need the Republicans. They were never on our side

You kind of do barring some kind of unprecedented electoral upheaval that sure as poo poo isn't coming "in the next 8 years."

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

We don't need the Republicans. They were never on our side, and quite frankly the Democrats constantly tripping over themselves has led us to this mess.

Maybe you're not getting my point. The Tea Party and the NRA and all the CHUDs got everything they wanted by slamming their foot in the ground and refusing to move, and the Democrats insisted that with every compromise, and every knee taken, we'd reach some sort of sensible solution that makes everyone happy. And now look at the mess we're in. Watching liberals and the left shed tears and look in shock as their kids get put in bodybags just for attending school while some JROTC dickhead or some other disillusioned shooter wipes the cafeteria floor, then turn around and go "gosh I sure wish we could get some sensible gun control regulations" instead of making demands and coming from a place of power instead of cowardice.

Being "realistic" doesn't matter anymore. It never did in the first place. You don't need to waste the brainpower tripping over yourselves about what's "sensible" or "realistic" or constantly undercutting anyone demanding full on national gun buybacks & seizures to bring about the end of civilian and police semi-automatic gun ownership, as it will never accomplish anything.

The only way we make progress is coming together very loudly and bluntly. I'm not asking you to be overzealous and hyperbolic because it will make that vision a reality, but at this point it is the only thing that will make actual progress. Pretending to call yourself an adult while your mentality has lost every single step of the way doesn't save a single kid's life.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is a god drat picture thread you dorks

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

It's actually easier to talk about dismantling capitalism than it is to ban guns. That's why genuine gun regulation won't happen until we demonstrate that firearms are a social leveling tool of class warfare.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

zeal posted:

who's the we in that sentence

i like the idea of just loving up their taxes thru penalties if they're known gunhavers who don't turn them in to be bought back or destroyed or whatever

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Retromancer posted:

You kind of do barring some kind of unprecedented electoral upheaval that sure as poo poo isn't coming "in the next 8 years."

The Republicans will never, ever, accept a single gun regulation as they receive millions of dollars to specifically not do so. Move past this delusion.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

freckle posted:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

freckle posted:

here you go dawg

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

to get real gun control reform passed with no Republican aid you would need:

1. to flip 50 or so seats in the house, unlikely with the districts gerrymandered to hell
2. to flip drat near 20% of the senate
3. to install a Democratic president in 2020, which is the most likely of these things to happen, even though there really isn't anyone stepping up and most likely the Democrats will run Hillary again.
4. to have 2 supreme court justices die and be replaced by pro gun control judges.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You should email that to some people who care

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
1. shut
2. the
3. gently caress
4. up

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
"semi-automatic" just means you don't have to manually chamber the next round with a bolt, lever, or revolver mechanism. that's basically every handgun and most rifles. it's a meaningless distinction that impacts a lot more than just mean-looking ARs, which i think should be banned on the grounds that they're loving lame. but even banning them does nothing, because you can buy every part for an AR-15 or other comparable weapon (M4, M16) off the shelf at your local sporting goods store with no trail, the only part that's technically the gun is the receiver housing, where all the poo poo attaches.

what you really want to ban is either a) all guns which good loving luck or b) select-fire guns where you can change the fire profile from single shot to burst or rapid fire, which are regulated by the NFA and require a significant screening process before you can get it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

my large pig like sheriff

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

maybe his head is just really small

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
reveal yourself

https://twitter.com/Quatroking/status/968554930364698624

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnTpl93q3Bc

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

perhaps taiwan is in fact above all others

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

http://www.eonline.com/news/915959/jennifer-lawrence-is-a-proud-middle-school-dropout

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

perhaps taiwan is in fact above all others

General Tso's Chicken was invented in Taiwan after all.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
taiwan #1

https://twitter.com/realchriswilson/status/968519567030005760

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

A goon would have used bacon

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!

Retromancer posted:

Yeah the Dems definitely lose constantly because they promise too much radical action, lmfao.

That's why the tea party Republicans proved such a setback for the GOP and why they're extinct now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/isawrobertsmith/status/967555351079014400