Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Was looking through the daemons codex yesterday since our tzeench player picked it up and apparently If you use the banner stratagem and hit them with the +1 wound psychic power while under a herald plaguebearers can have 6 damage attacks with their plagueswords on 5+s wounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Entropy238 posted:

Anyone have any ideas on what Nids' solution to Mortarion is?

He's T7/3+/4++/5++

Most of our melee options don't look like they're going to work particular well (except maybe Genestealers?). Hive Guard seem like they might do the job too.

Hive Guard double shot only does 8.296 damage on average though eugh

So, Monty is a tough son of a bitch, and you need a pretty specific combination of things to take him down regularly. You want high strength, low AP, high damage fire in great quantities. There's nothing that quite meets the bill for nids, but exocrines are pretty close. A couple of those will seriously worsen Monty's day.

In melee? Trygons are a pretty good bet. Genestealers are OK, but you want the turn one charge off if you possibly can.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So how likely is it that Deathwatch will get another codex?

It's really unfair that GW is spending all their time on Xeno and Chaos books and ignoring Imperial players!

:v:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Schadenboner posted:

So how likely is it that Deathwatch will get another codex?

It's really unfair that GW is spending all their time on Xeno and Chaos books and ignoring Imperial players!

:v:

It is 100% likely that DW will get a new Codex

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Artum posted:

Was looking through the daemons codex yesterday since our tzeench player picked it up and apparently If you use the banner stratagem and hit them with the +1 wound psychic power while under a herald plaguebearers can have 6 damage attacks with their plagueswords on 5+s wounds.

Yup. Plaguebearers are real.

Re: nids and screens.

If you want to screen bring some genestealer scout sentinels. It's too bad you dont have scouts or nurglings but that's life.

Re: morty as bugs

Just kill him. You can't stay in melee with him but soften him up with hive guard and bury him in stealers. He is a list check. Either you have something to handle him (and Magnus or a knight or whatever) or you won't get very far.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 27, 2018

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lupercalcalcal posted:

So, Monty is a tough son of a bitch, and you need a pretty specific combination of things to take him down regularly. You want high strength, low AP, high damage fire in great quantities. There's nothing that quite meets the bill for nids, but exocrines are pretty close. A couple of those will seriously worsen Monty's day.

In melee? Trygons are a pretty good bet. Genestealers are OK, but you want the turn one charge off if you possibly can.

Yeah I've been running some of the numbers:

80 attacks from WS3+ Genestealers will do 6 wounds
– A Trygon with the re-roll wounds strategem will do 4.8 damage
– A Behemoth Hive Tyrant with the re-roll wounds strategem, the Scythes of Tyran (STR 7), Toxin Sacs, Monstrous Boneswords and Legendary Fighter warlord trait does 6.336 (eugh)
– An Acidfex with Pathogenic Slime (2CP) will do 7 damage
– A round of shooting from the Miasma Cannon will do 1.667 damage (loving hell)
– Hive Guard with Impalers, double shoot, reroll 1s = 8.3
– Comedy Option: 9 Spore Mines = 6 Wounds.

It's absolutely nuts how tough he is.

edit: lolling because I just remembered that's more or less how difficult it is to kill a Hive Tyrant with Catalyst, even before stuff like the -1 to hit relic or adaptive biology trait.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 27, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I dig the Badcast shirts but I really wish there was an all-cotton option.

The sweat-retaining properties of poly are... not goon-friendly.

:(

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Could someone more familiar with 8th Ed than me (as in at all) take a look at my CSM list and let me know how it looks? If there might be something missing that I'd want to add?

-------------

++ Unbound Army (Faction) (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [169 PL, 3155pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Renegade Chapters

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour [6 PL, 111pts]: 3. Unholy Fortitude, Combi-bolter, Mark of Tzeentch, Power sword, Warlord

Dark Apostle [5 PL, 83pts]: Mark of Tzeentch, Plasma pistol, Power maul

Sorcerer [6 PL, 105pts]: Eye of Tzeentch, Force stave, Mark of Tzeentch, Plasma pistol, Prescience, Weaver of Fates

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour [8 PL, 130pts]: Combi-bolter, Force sword, Infernal Gaze, Mark of Tzeentch, Warptime

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [6 PL, 93pts]: Mark of Tzeentch
. 17x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun
. Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Flamer
. Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Heavy stubber
. Cultist Champion: Brutal assault weapon and Autopistol

Chaos Space Marines [9 PL, 169pts]: Icon of Flame, Mark of Tzeentch
. Aspiring Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
. 7x Marine w/ Boltgun
. Marine w/ heavy weapon: Heavy bolter
. Marine w/ special weapon: Plasma gun

Chaos Space Marines [9 PL, 188pts]: Icon of Flame, Mark of Tzeentch
. Aspiring Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
. 7x Marine w/ Boltgun
. Marine w/ heavy weapon: Missile launcher
. Marine w/ special weapon: Meltagun

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminators [14 PL, 240pts]: Icon of Flame, Mark of Tzeentch
. Chaos Terminator Champion: Combi-plasma, Power sword
. Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power maul
. Terminator: Chainfist, Combi-bolter
. Terminator: 2x Lightning Claw
. Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Power fist, Reaper autocannon

Mutilators [7 PL, 126pts]: Mark of Tzeentch, 3x Mutilator

Rubric Marines [14 PL, 265pts]: Icon of Flame
. Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol
. 4x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun: 4x Inferno boltgun
. Rubric Marine w/ Soulreaper cannon: Soulreaper cannon
. 4x Rubric Marine w/ Warpflamer: 4x Warpflamer

+ Fast Attack +

Chaos Bikers [9 PL, 176pts]: Icon of Flame, Mark of Tzeentch
. Chaos Biker: Chainsword, Combi-bolter, Meltagun
. Chaos Biker: Chainsword, Combi-bolter
. Chaos Biker Champion: Combi-bolter, Power sword

Raptors [10 PL, 203pts]: Icon of Flame, Mark of Tzeentch
. 8x Raptor
. Raptor Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
. Raptor w/ special weapon: Meltagun

+ Heavy Support +

Chaos Land Raider [19 PL, 358pts]: Combi-bolter, Mark of Tzeentch, Twin heavy bolter, 2x Twin lascannon

Forgefiend [9 PL, 179pts]: 2x Ectoplasma cannons, Daemon jaws, Mark of Tzeentch

Havocs [10 PL, 195pts]: Mark of Tzeentch
. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Power sword
. 2x Havoc w/ boltgun
. Havoc w/ heavy weapon: Lascannon

Obliterators [10 PL, 195pts]: Mark of Tzeentch, 3x Obliterator

Obliterators [10 PL, 195pts]: Mark of Tzeentch, 3x Obliterator

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 72pts]: Combi-bolter, Mark of Tzeentch

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 72pts]: Combi-bolter, Mark of Tzeentch

++ Unbound Army (Faction) (Chaos - FW Heretic Astartes) [10 PL, 187pts] ++

+ Elites +

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 187pts]
. Left Arm: Hellflamer, Hellforged deathclaw
. Right Arm: Multi-melta

++ Unbound Army (Faction) (Chaos - Daemons) [20 PL, 255pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Chaos Allegiance: Tzeentch

+ Troops +

Horrors [12 PL, 195pts]: 20x Blue Horror, Daemonic Icon, Instrument of Chaos, 10x Pink Horror

Horrors [8 PL, 60pts]: 20x Pair of Brimstone Horrors

++ Total: [199 PL, 3597pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

-----------------

When collecting I've focused more on what cool things I can make with FW/HH bits, kitbashing, and converting and less on what might actually works on the table. Goons, please RATE! MY! TZEENTCH!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Two Beans posted:

RATE! MY! TZEENTCH!

why did you give your second chaos marine squad a meltagun and a missile launcher

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

zeal posted:

why did you give your second chaos marine squad a meltagun and a missile launcher

two reasons.

1. I want to assemble and paint those models.
2. I have no idea what I'm doing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Two Beans posted:

two reasons.

you can still assemble and paint them, but they just don't pair well with each other. You should pair plasmaguns with ML/Lascannons and pair meltaguns with a second meltagun (or maybe a flamer if you want versatility). Because meltas have such short range, they want to be pushing up the battlefield, which is at odds with the Missile launcher. What you don't want is to have only one shooting all game, and the other becomes wasted points. At a 24" range, plasma is your best special weapon pairing for a meltagun or lascannon.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Two Beans posted:

One of us! One of us!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Is there (or has there ever been) double plasma cannon arms for the regular marine dreadnought? I can only find a right arm, but the FW Mortis dread datasheet lets you take two identical weapons.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

xtothez posted:

Is there (or has there ever been) double plasma cannon arms for the regular marine dreadnought? I can only find a right arm, but the FW Mortis dread datasheet lets you take two identical weapons.

Just mount it upside-down, not a big deal?

:shrug:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I don't think they ever made a left plasma cannon. It's one of the worst options for a Dread, so maybe they're trying to spare you?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Any Ork codex rumors?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any Ork codex rumors?

None except that they're probably last, along with Space Wolves.

flamingweedle
Oct 8, 2010
I'm really hurting for money and never get a chance to play this game. Is anyone interested in buying this ghetto Tau army off of me? https://imgur.com/a/Du5ov

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Two Beans posted:

two reasons.

okay, i asked because of the points chirurgeon made. melta's a close assault weapon, ML is v. long range, having them in the same squad is putting your wee tzeentch boys at cross-purposes. a plasma would be a good replacement for either the ML or the melta, imo, depending on whether you want to keep the squad sat back and shooting or have them pushing forward. if you keep the melta i'd suggest putting them in one of those two rhinos or other transport/alternate deployment option, because you definitely do not want a close support power armor team like that foot-slogging all the way to within 12" of the enemy. honestly, if you swap the plasma in your first chaos marine squad for the ML in the second you'll have two well-equipped marine units, the ml/h.bolter guys holed up in cover and laying down fire, the melta/plasma guys advancing to the fore under that covering fire. though, considering the amount of ranged power this list already has with the havocs and obliterators, you might want to specialize both marine units for close support

also, how are you planning to get the rubric squad that's half warp flamers to get into firing range in a fight?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

flamingweedle posted:

I'm really hurting for money and never get a chance to play this game. Is anyone interested in buying this ghetto Tau army off of me? https://imgur.com/a/Du5ov

Maybe? How much?

Or wait a couple weeks and hope they're suddenly in demand.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

flamingweedle posted:

SpikeMcclane posted:

Or wait a couple weeks and hope they're suddenly in demand.

this is the answer, wait until the codex drops in a few weeks so you can upsell whatever it makes particularly good

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Corrode posted:

None except that they're probably last, along with Space Wolves.

Genestealer Cult is definitely going to be last out of the armies that existed in 7th. Wolves are probably after the Tau, Necron, Dark Eldar trifecta. Gotta get back to marines.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any Ork codex rumors?

Nope.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

zeal posted:

also, how are you planning to get the rubric squad that's half warp flamers to get into firing range in a fight?

With this:

I appreciate the advice in this thread. I haven't played since 3rd Ed, so I've forgotten more than I remember and what I remember isn't really relevant any more. This is helping me retool my list into something with a function besides "looks good on the table". Thanks.

I just need to get more of these boys assembled and painted so I can get some games in and relearn things.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Two Beans posted:

With this:

I appreciate the advice in this thread. I haven't played since 3rd Ed, so I've forgotten more than I remember and what I remember isn't really relevant any more. This is helping me retool my list into something with a function besides "looks good on the table". Thanks.

I just need to get more of these boys assembled and painted so I can get some games in and relearn things.

Mount the close support marines in the second one and stick the long support marines in terrain and your infantry's squared away then. the lascannons are probably the best choice for havocs already. how are the terminators coming in, deep strike or the land raider?

flamingweedle
Oct 8, 2010

zeal posted:

this is the answer, wait until the codex drops in a few weeks so you can upsell whatever it makes particularly good

That's a good idea. I was hoping the hype started now. I don't have a good idea for what they're worth overall. I'm hoping for a few hundred.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

zeal posted:

how are the terminators coming in, deep strike or the land raider?

Probably deep strike, unless there's a reason why I should toss them in the LR.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bummer. Back to actively not playing other games I suppose. :)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

In your guys' experience, would you rather run 3 Manticores or 4 Basilisks? I know the points don't exactly add up, but these two configurations are about what I have room to work with in terms of upgrading my old 6th edition troop swarm IG army to 2k points.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
I have small primaris force with a Redemptor, whats a good army storage case to fit these dudes?
The battlefoam website is really confusing.

Open to all options TIA

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

fadam posted:

In your guys' experience, would you rather run 3 Manticores or 4 Basilisks? I know the points don't exactly add up, but these two configurations are about what I have room to work with in terms of upgrading my old 6th edition troop swarm IG army to 2k points.

They're both really good. It might depend on what Regiment you run them as. Here's my breakdown:

Manticores
143 w/ a heavy bolter
More shots
Less AP
Only fire 4 times
Really, really benefit from being Catachan (re-roll one dice for number of shots per shooting phase) or Cadian (re-roll 1's to hit if stationary, which it always should be)

Basilisks
108 w/ a heavy bolter
Fewer shots
Better AP
Fire every turn
Don't benefit from being Catachan, but do benefit from being Cadian
Can benefit from the Aerial Spotters Stratagem: 1CP, a Basilisk or Wyvern gets to re-roll all to-hit rolls that turn (really, really good)

The Strength difference is not really important as there are very few units out there with T9+ except in apocalypse.

A question: Why not both? Having one or two Basilisks and one or two Manticores might be your best option.

Soggy Chips posted:

I have small primaris force with a Redemptor, whats a good army storage case to fit these dudes?

Open to all options TIA

I have a GW 'Ard Case for my Primaris and it rules.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Basilisks absolutely benefit from being Catachan, since you can always re-roll the lowest D6 and hope to improve. In some ways it's better than the Manticore, where on say a 5+3 you might be wary of re-rolling the 3 and ending up with below average shots.

Also I think Aerial Spotters is 2CP but I could be wrong.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

The Sex Cannon posted:

I have a GW 'Ard Case for my Primaris and it rules.

What's the difference between the 'Ard Case and the crusade case?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Two Beans posted:

Probably deep strike, unless there's a reason why I should toss them in the LR.

well, since you're running these guys as a renegade chapter they'll reroll failed charges right? the main reason you'd take them in a land raider would be to give them a shot at an easier charge than a straight 9, since that's the best most deep striking can give you, and since they'd get an effective 8 inch move the turn they pile out of the raider: deploy within 3" of the hull, then standard termie 5" move. since you're already running an army with a great charge roll buff though, teleporting would be a fine way to get them in. the same mechanic makes the warp talons a much better choice than they would be for a lot of other chaos armies

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
As I might of mentioned a few days ago, I fought against a friends 2k Custodes shield Captain spam and scions soup list. We had to call it turn 4 but I just barely got the last point 6/5 to my Alpha legion and Demon soup.

His list was essentially :

5 shield Captains,
A Vulcher
2 x torox primes
A manticore
Numerous squads of scions.
Squad of ratlings

My list :
3 Demons prince's (claws)
A sorceror
6 squads of cultists
A squad of Khorne berzerkers
2 obliterator squads
A predator

30 bloodletters
Herald

He got first turn, but due to cultists he could not touch my Princes. When it came to my turn I dropped the oblits and blood letter bomb. That coupled with my 3 prince's, I was able to murder most of the captains turn one.

His last two managed to kill 2 of my prince's but they went down eventually (small arms fire is still good for something).

He was new to custodes and he was yet to figure out the synergies. It will be curious to see what happens next time I fight him.

Suffice to say though I learned the following: Custodes are Op, Bloodletters are great at killing them and 60+ cultists are a bitch to move. Also Alpha legion is awesome.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 28, 2018

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Mef989 posted:

What's the difference between the 'Ard Case and the crusade case?

About half the capacity, but it's not an awkward mess to carry like the mid-sized case and is nigh indestructible.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

About half the capacity, but it's not an awkward mess to carry like the mid-sized case and is nigh indestructible.

And it actually looks like a reasonable price. A similar size pelican case is about the same $130 with a single thickness of pick and pluck rather than the custom GW foam. I'd take the pelican over the GW in durability though.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Av some Gitz:

And some mega-ard boyz:

And some boss boyz:

I basically repainted a load of dodgy old paint jobs with some less dodgy paint jobs because I bought some varnish. Loads more to go.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Those bois look rad as hell, bright colors on Orks is extremely good.

Soggy Chips posted:

Christ, this. I've got close to 5000 points of Dark Angels that I'm trying to put into a KR or BattleFoam case for next time I move, and trying to do the math on which weirdos fit in what is driving me nuts.

A friend picked up a BattleFoam 720 full of pluck foam to stuff his Orks in to, and I guess he picked the right trays but had to spend half a day carving out slots for them. So that's an option, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'll throw my images up too. Finished up the Aggressors. A tad bit slower than I liked, but I think I'm still on track for Adepticon.