Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Colbert's been pretty fugazi for a while if you haven't noticed
The hope was, for me at least, that he'd make the late night format more "Colbert" but the reverse happened and Colbert became more late night.
It makes me appreciate Conan, which I never did previously just cuz I can barely tolerate late night poo poo (throw it away with the baby boomers imo) unless ur counting like...Eric Andre. But watching Conan now I'm just impressed how everything about his show is better and funnier in every way (while still remaining just as political). That may not be fair to Colbert since Conan has had years to perfect his poo poo but I can't say I've got the time and patience to wait around for Colbert. His trump jokes might be some of the laziest on the planet.
I'm always asking myself, thinking back to the beautiful old days of the Colbert Report...did Colbert change, or did I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Is it a comedy, or a drama?

From 3/4 of the commercials it looks like a sitcom. The other commercials make it look like Breaking Bad light, corroborated by the 1 hour timeslot.

Definitely more of a drama. There are funny parts, but they’re not the focus.

I believe every episode will be an hour. I thought it was a 30 minute show until I started watching too. That would probably be better.

I’m not sure I’ll make it past episode 3 but I really want to because I love all the central trio a lot

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm always asking myself, thinking back to the beautiful old days of the Colbert Report...did Colbert change, or did I?

I would watch a show where it's just Colbert sitting there and talking, being himself for 30 minutes a night. No writing team or network interference. I'm glad he's got the job he has and that he's making good money and hopefully having a great time, but it's not for me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Shageletic posted:

So is that a show a one season wonder?

Yes, god yes. Don't watch season 2.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I would watch a show where it's just Colbert sitting there and talking, being himself for 30 minutes a night. No writing team or network interference.

We can't have Craig Ferguson back no matter how much we dream.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven’t watched much Conan after he settled in at TBS, but he never struck me as particularly political. Of course, that may have changed as Colbert’s Late Show has changed from what I perceived as an inoffensive nothingburger to quite light politically entertaining. He still has a fair number of “general audience” jokes though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He makes his politics known by filming special episodes in Mexico and Haiti after Trump called them lovely countries.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
maybe I just find Colbert's late night political humor that weak compared to what he used to be. it's mostly just lazy Trump zingers, which Conan also does but with a better writing staff. and yeah the overseas bits were fun

plus I appreciate any late night that can still randomly pull out Andy Daly (BRIIING BACK CROSSBAAAAALLS)

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Colbert lost a lot of his edge when he moved from Comedy Central to CBS. Part of it is that the CBS audience is older and more conservative but I think a big part of it is also that Colbert dropped the persona and is hosting as "himself", meaning he can't make a lot of the jokes he used to make on the Report and has to play a less interesting straightman character.

I think the thing that really made Colbert Report the best out of the comedy news shows was that he was playing a fictional character so the show didn't just devolve into him making zingers and going "whaaaa???" at the camera like Jon Stewart.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, he was bombing terribly until he started going after Trump, and now he's #1 I think.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
one day there will be a reckoning between the fans of the UK and american Offices and I will gladly die shouting "TIM WAS BETTER" while the swarms of Will They or Won't They Generic American sitcom barbarians swarm my corpse

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ferguson was the best late night talk show, I will miss him forever and always.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Ferguson was the best late night talk show, I will miss him forever and always.

His daily SiriusXM show gets posted on Reddit like an hour or two after it ends every night.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

His daily SiriusXM show gets posted on Reddit like an hour or two after it ends every night.

It ain't the same if I can't see him stare at pretty ladies' legs.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The best late night host is Conan when he has Norm as his guest. If its anyone else he is still ok, but drat if Norm doesn't put out his best stuff with Conan.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's Bill Burr for me. When they get together it's like a Boston charmfest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9YL04v-J5U

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Anytime Paul Rudd or Tim Olyphant are on Conan it's gold.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

swickles posted:

The best late night host is Conan when he has Norm as his guest. If its anyone else he is still ok, but drat if Norm doesn't put out his best stuff with Conan.

My man speaks the truth. Have you ever seen a host lose their poo poo so loving hard because of how funny a guest is at the expense of another?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL0WayC7jW0

Historically perfect comedy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

My man speaks the truth. Have you ever seen a host lose their poo poo so loving hard because of how funny a guest is at the expense of another?

Saw the thumbnail and immediately knew which I've it was.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just watched the Jennifer Lawrence interview on Colbert.

:allears:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Josh Lyman posted:

Just watched the Jennifer Lawrence interview on Colbert.

:allears:

Watch the follow up interview with Patton Oswalt too.

Its hard to find, but my favorite Norm/Conan moment was when he came on the NBC show after it was announced Conan was getting kicked out. He brought this giant Congratulations basket with him that he was saving for being on the show the first .

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The comparison between Conan and Colbert aren’t really meaningful, I think. Conan’s pretty mediocre at interviews and does his best bits in remotes. Colbert doesn’t do remotes at all.

It’s more apt to compare Colbert to Ferguson, and that’s where he really pales. I watched an interview between him and Ricky Gervais where he tries to interrogate why Gervais is an atheist. Colbert clearly has some smarts about him, but like nearly all late night interviews, the whole segment felt scripted and planned. They couldn’t shake off the inauthenticity from what should have been a great interview.

I love Ferguson enough to acknowledge that his unprepped interviews don’t always turn in an interesting way, but it never fails to feel authentic. That’s something the Colbert show, not to mention all the other ones, fails to do. Colbert’s a really interesting guy with clever things to say, I wish they’d let him loose and do something less scripted.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

It's Bill Burr for me. When they get together it's like a Boston charmfest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9YL04v-J5U

Me too, Bill Burr is the funniest man alive.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vegetable posted:

The comparison between Conan and Colbert aren’t really meaningful, I think. Conan’s pretty mediocre at interviews and does his best bits in remotes. Colbert doesn’t do remotes at all.

It’s more apt to compare Colbert to Ferguson, and that’s where he really pales. I watched an interview between him and Ricky Gervais where he tries to interrogate why Gervais is an atheist. Colbert clearly has some smarts about him, but like nearly all late night interviews, the whole segment felt scripted and planned. They couldn’t shake off the inauthenticity from what should have been a great interview.

I love Ferguson enough to acknowledge that his unprepped interviews don’t always turn in an interesting way, but it never fails to feel authentic. That’s something the Colbert show, not to mention all the other ones, fails to do. Colbert’s a really interesting guy with clever things to say, I wish they’d let him loose and do something less scripted.
I don't necessarily disagree with anyone you've said here, but Colbert's rise in the ratings is mostly due to his monologue turning very political.

At any rate, he's a Sunday school teacher so naturally an interview with Ricky Gervais about atheism isn't going to be great.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
iZombie off to a suitably insane start.

Part of me wishes they dump the brain of the week / murder stuff entirely (there tends to come a point every season where it feels like a distraction rather than an attraction) but it's still a very strong show.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Has anyone seen Before We Vanish? It looked cool but I'm not sure where to find it legally and am not sure if it's worth settling for some low-quality pirated version with voices / subtitles that aren't synced to conversations and other awfulness.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Holy poo poo Atlanta S1E7 is loving gold. I watched and episode or two when it first aired but it didn't grab me. Now I'm binging through it on Hulu and it's incredible.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

This one I think is underrated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE6QzDrT_x8

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
you guys weren't kidding about Waco holy poo poo Taylor Kitsch as Budget Sam Rockwell as David "The Lamb" Koresh is killing it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Inspector 34 posted:

Holy poo poo Atlanta S1E7 is loving gold. I watched and episode or two when it first aired but it didn't grab me. Now I'm binging through it on Hulu and it's incredible.

I watched that at the time and rewatched it recently, and nah, still not impressed with it. I admire a lot of the structural stuff that it's been praised for, though a lot of the references passed me by. I really like the series generally. The political stuff in the episode was hosed though, and it completely sucks the power out of the episode.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Anyone else seen that Unabomber series from the Discovery channel? Been on Netflix. It's not *really* a great series - it has one very good lead performance by Paul Bettany playing Kaczynski, and a pretty drat mediocre performance from Sam Worthington as the guy who compiles the linguistic evidence that lead to his capture.

Oh, and Mark Duplass (IMO one of the best actors/writers/directors/awesome people working in film period) steals all his scenes as Ted's brother, David, and creates more humanity and empathy for that character in like a combined 25 minutes of screentime than the rest of the cast does over half an hour. Worthington is so awful.

It did reveal some really fascinating things about the UNABOM case about which I was unaware. Like the fact that when Ted Kaczynski went to Harvard at age 16 on a scholarship, he was used as a subject in some unspeakably cruel experimental research being done by a professor there, partially at the behest of government agents. This was - you guessed it - a part of the CIA's MKULTRA program - in this case it was primarily about learning how to effectively break a person psychologically, based on what I read. God knows how accurate the dramatization was (the reality was probably WORSE and more traumatic even if it didn't look as outwardly scary as they made it seem on the show). I'm not a raving conspiracy theorist, but it's fascinating to me.

edit: This *fascinating* article from June 2000 published in The Atlantic lays this all out very accurately and concisely. In the 18 years since this article came out it was confirmed that Murray's research was a part of the MKULTRA program:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2000/06/harvard-and-the-making-of-the-unabomber/378239/

I really did not remotely expect one thing (Unabomber) to have anything to do with the other (MKULTRA) in the least when I started watching this show. :raise:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 28, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Yes, god yes. Don't watch season 2.

a-ok.

So Spectrum is offering to cut my bill considerably for a plan that has me only choosing 10 cable channels. If you can choose 10 what would they be? My roommate already wants ESPN, AMC, and TNT.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shageletic posted:

a-ok.

So Spectrum is offering to cut my bill considerably for a plan that has me only choosing 10 cable channels. If you can choose 10 what would they be? My roommate already wants ESPN, AMC, and TNT.

FX, USA, Syfy, HGTV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Couple of items about netflix

I'm currently on one of my biennial "I forget how much I hate anime and try to get into a couple of series" jags and I watched some of Devilman Crybaby and it is bonkers for sure. I find it odd that they are saying they are ready to "commit to anime" given how much anime is on the service already. And Hulu has a ridiculous amount as well. Anyway I'm watching Berserk on youtube because neither has it.

Dear lord

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Commit to anime, but Attack on Titan season 2 is no where to be found, ehhhh Netflix?!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

zoux posted:

Dear lord

Hell yeah, keep me employed

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

zoux posted:

I'm currently on one of my biennial "I forget how much I hate anime and try to get into a couple of series" jags and I watched some of Devilman Crybaby and it is bonkers for sure.[/url]

Dear lord

I occasionally do the same when I hear something with a cool premise, then watch it and realize that it's still anime and there's always a way to ruin a cool premise.

Though, and I know how cliche and oft-repeated this is, I started watching Cowboy Bebop again and that poo poo is still legit. I thought it was going to be awful since I hadn't seen it since I was a teenager but aside from the occasional melodramatic anime-ism, it's mostly just a drat fun, melancholy-tinged space Western with some great hard sci-fi tech.

Also, watching it as an adult it's astounding to see how much impact The Long Goodbye had on the characters, tone, and pace.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I occasionally do the same when I hear something with a cool premise, then watch it and realize that it's still anime and there's always a way to ruin a cool premise.

Though, and I know how cliche and oft-repeated this is, I started watching Cowboy Bebop again and that poo poo is still legit. I thought it was going to be awful since I hadn't seen it since I was a teenager but aside from the occasional melodramatic anime-ism, it's mostly just a drat fun, melancholy-tinged space Western with some great hard sci-fi tech.

Also, watching it as an adult it's astounding to see how much impact The Long Goodbye had on the characters, tone, and pace.

Yeah, I love the high concepts and animation of anime but the dialog and pacing just murder it for me. Devilman Crybaby reminds me though of when you'd catch some snippet of anime somewhere in the mid 90's and you couldn't believe how violent and explicit it was, and so far I like it ok. One trick I've found is to watch dubs over subs when available, it seems that dubs tend to be more colloquialized and idiomized for Western audiences so the dialog doesn't sound so unnatural. But I'd love it if I could find a series where it wasn't laden with clunky exposition and characters stating exactly what they are feeling and thinking at all times. I was watching some Hunter x Hunter and the amount of time they spend detailing the exact mechanics of the magic system is grating.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Been visiting my parents and my dad has been watching ST:TNG eps and I’m seeing this show for the first time

Holy poo poo!! It’s so boring and bad!!!

early season 6 before some dork comes in to say how the first season sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Escobarbarian posted:

Been visiting my parents and my dad has been watching ST:TNG eps and I’m seeing this show for the first time

Holy poo poo!! It’s so boring and bad!!!

early season 6 before some dork comes in to say how the first season sucks

Look! We have found the worst opinion ever in all of history.