Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Guy Mann posted:

Cuphead's difficulty was annoying because it was obviously them trying to stretch out the length of the game by making you replay the same fights over and over to memorize all the different patterns and tells of each phase.

It's an arcade game. Replaying and getting better scores at higher difficulties is the entire point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Nostradingus posted:

When has this ever happened? Hard mode in Metroid obviously doesn't count.

"doesn't count" sure.

Guy Mann posted:

It's biggest selling point was its graphics, nobody would have given a poo poo about Contra Only It's 2017 And Cost $20 if it were generic indie pixel graphics instead of gorgeous hand-drawn 1920s animation. And old NES and arcade games were bullshit hard to make up for the short length too.

It's biggest selling point was the graphics. But a modicum of research would have told you exactly what kind of gameplay it had.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Samuringa posted:

It's an arcade game. Replaying and getting better scores at higher difficulties is the entire point.

Even the hardest of the hardcore arcade-style games like shmups and beat-em-ups usually have some piss easy casual difficulty with unlimited continues. They also usually have more than two difficulty levels (three if you count the Simple difficulty that just locks you out of a third of the game's content and also the ending) and an actual scoring mechanism.

Also if they wanted it to be a purely skill-based arcade game then they shouldn't have put in a bunch of upgrades you grind out by doing things completely divorced from the actual core gameplay like collecting doodads in sidescrolling platforming levels and doing sidequests on the minimap. Its whole design is pretty muddled in general.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Guy Mann posted:

Even the hardest of the hardcore arcade-style games like shmups and beat-em-ups usually have some piss easy casual difficulty with unlimited continues.

Yeah but the continues cost 50 cents each.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

loving MICRO TRANSACTIONS

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Wait, no:

loving PAY TO WIN!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Wait, no:

loving PAY TO WIN!

Gimme a quarter and I'll give you another two tries and three super bombs that clear the screen. Also in this level you will constantly be taking damage from every enemy at all times.

Sorry did I say this level I meant all upcoming levels

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Aleph Null posted:

It's beautiful but I will never, ever play or pucahse it. I've watched some videos just to see how gorgeous it is and enjoy the music. It's hard to find videos where the person playing just shuts up and lets the game speak for itself, though.

On Youtube search "<name of game> <gameplay/walkthrough/longplay> no commentary" and you will get exactly what you're after without fail.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

John Murdoch posted:

On Youtube search "<name of game> <gameplay/walkthrough/longplay> no commentary" and you will get exactly what you're after without fail.

Thank you for the "no commentary" tip!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Nostradingus posted:

When has this ever happened? Hard mode in Metroid obviously doesn't count.

Here's one: Wolf Link.

Records the amount of health you had when you cleared the Twilight Princess rerelease's bonus dungeon, and let's you summon a Wolf Link in Breath of The Wild with that number of hearts. It's the only "permanent" summonable pet in the entire game.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So I managed to reach The Incomplete One for the first time in Dead Cells and was quite disappointed with the fight. He's easy to read and slow and stuff... But also has waaay too much health which I couldn't nick away before my reflexes failed me enough to die to it. First time I felt kinda cheated by the game.

Nothing has quite been Dragging This Game Down as much as the loving Incomplete One. Because I know that every single loving time I sit down to play Dead Cells, I will have to spend 5 minutes repeating the same 5 second loop of dodge-hit-dodge-hit. It's absolute bullshit tedium, and the only challenge comes from "will I get bored, be reckless, and get insta-splattered".

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Here's one: Wolf Link.

Records the amount of health you had when you cleared the Twilight Princess rerelease's bonus dungeon, and let's you summon a Wolf Link in Breath of The Wild with that number of hearts. It's the only "permanent" summonable pet in the entire game.

And as the game goes on, gets more and more useless because it never gains any armor or attack. By midgame he's useless because you're facing enemies who just whomp him once and whoop he's gone.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Can't you also only get Epona in Breath of the Wild if you have a specific amibo?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

scarycave posted:

I remember the reason that they didn't want story mode was due to people "leaking" cutscenes on youtube - which is pretty funny.
But honestly it kind of feels like an excuse due to the 3ds not being able to handle an actual story mode since they wanted both things to link up as close as possible.

So the closest we get is Smash Run, the best mode - but 3ds only, and Final Fortress - the true final boss I mentioned last page, which is just an adventure mode esque stage where you break 4 things while enemies attack you.

The story cutscenes in Brawl were the “rewards” so when they went up on youtube it made the story mode less appealing to play.

On the other hand stuff like the last and Zelda/Arkham/Mordor games made the final reward a cutscene so :shrug:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

moosecow333 posted:

Can't you also only get Epona in Breath of the Wild if you have a specific amibo?

It is

Found this website https://amiibo.life/games that lists each game and what the amiibos do for it mostly seems like they gate characters and basic game features like cutscene viewers behind amiibos.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Nothing has quite been Dragging This Game Down as much as the loving Incomplete One. Because I know that every single loving time I sit down to play Dead Cells, I will have to spend 5 minutes repeating the same 5 second loop of dodge-hit-dodge-hit. It's absolute bullshit tedium, and the only challenge comes from "will I get bored, be reckless, and get insta-splattered".

Treading old water here, but some of new(er) bosses in Binding of Isaac were like that. You'd learn their attacks and get real good at taking no damage but then... it's just a half hour endurance match as you chip away at them because most of their damage received was capped. Real drat tedious.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's really bad, and they other increased its HP or decreased weapon damage in one of the patches and I've completely stopped playing. Another reminder that buying early access games is stupid.

Especially since it's followed up with that tedious docks area I can't stand. No, game, a million enemies everywhere doesn't make things more interesting.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Drunken Baker posted:

Treading old water here, but some of new(er) bosses in Binding of Isaac were like that. You'd learn their attacks and get real good at taking no damage but then... it's just a half hour endurance match as you chip away at them because most of their damage received was capped. Real drat tedious.

boi seems like a good example of like, tinkering and adding onto a good piece of art for so long that you ruin it and you really should've left it alone 2 or 3 iterations ago

rebirth was really the sweet spot (imo at least) and everything since just feels like too much, too much items to remember, too much horseshit bosses that will be tedious no matter how great a build you've got that run, too many characters you have to beat everything as to fully unlock everything

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
With all of the new stuff, why didn't they just make a new game? Surely, they knew how people were bitching about the changes and knew they were generally unhappy (I'm not sure if that's completely true, I'm basing that purely off of posts I've seen on SA).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Brother Entropy posted:

boi seems like a good example of like, tinkering and adding onto a good piece of art for so long that you ruin it and you really should've left it alone 2 or 3 iterations ago

rebirth was really the sweet spot (imo at least) and everything since just feels like too much, too much items to remember, too much horseshit bosses that will be tedious no matter how great a build you've got that run, too many characters you have to beat everything as to fully unlock everything

Apparently Leonardo Da Vinci actually had that problem - I think I read somewhere that some of his paintings were in danger of being damaged by his own hand due to too many layers of paint from constant tweaking.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Drunken Baker posted:

most of their damage received was capped

Worse than that, their damage received per hit was modified by how much damage they'd recently taken. Reactive armour, basically. So the fight takes roughly the same amount of time regardless of build or power level, rapid or big hit, solo or pets. Weaker, more defensive builds do proportionally huge damage.

They enforced storygame bosses in a powergaming system.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Chaos in vermintide 2 are utterly loving boring musclemen sponges with 0 personality that suck most of the soul out of the game

Skaven are overflowing with personality and so much more fun to kill. Instead you are fighting them less than half of the time in the game literally called "vermintide 2"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Musclebound dudes with boils and tattoos and grime yelling about father's gift own.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Digirat posted:

Chaos in vermintide 2 are utterly loving boring musclemen sponges with 0 personality that suck most of the soul out of the game

Skaven are overflowing with personality and so much more fun to kill. Instead you are fighting them less than half of the time in the game literally called "vermintide 2"

Is Vermintide worth the $7.50 for which it is currently on sale? I'm still wishy-washy on it because I have no friends with which to play.
Sorry for the sentence structure. My step-mother trained me so that ending a sentence with a preposition causes me physical pain.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It’s a great game but at this point it pretty much depends on having a group to play with, since most people will have moved onto the sequel, so I’d say no

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Aleph Null posted:

Is Vermintide worth the $7.50 for which it is currently on sale? I'm still wishy-washy on it because I have no friends with which to play.
Sorry for the sentence structure. My step-mother trained me so that ending a sentence with a preposition causes me physical pain.

I imagine it's pretty dead what with the sequel just coming out

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Aleph Null posted:

The game's well worth even it's base price really, there's plenty to mess around with, it looks, sounds and plays great, but yeah, it's one of those games where the largest part of the community is in the process of cycling into 2 now.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Indie and early access devs really really really need to learn to ignore their hardcore fans, ESPECIALLY if they complain about the game being too easy. Darkest Dungeon was particularly bad about that, basically every update was centered around making things more challenging for the long-time players and less accessible for new ones.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Slay the Spire added a really nice compromise to that in Ascension Mode, which is 15 increasing levels of difficulty over the basic run in very fine granular increments.

None of the unlocks or achievements are tied to it, except for the one for reaching Ascension 10, and playing on Ascension doesn’t impact your win streak, if you care about that. Vanilla isn’t that hard but it’s difficult enough for me and it’s nice that I don’t have to care about that... Unlike getting all of the bad garbage unlocks in Isaac that revolve playing its bad hard mode, its bad greedier mode, its bad challenges, etc.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

PubicMice posted:

Indie and early access devs really really really need to learn to ignore their hardcore fans, ESPECIALLY if they complain about the game being too easy. Darkest Dungeon was particularly bad about that, basically every update was centered around making things more challenging for the long-time players and less accessible for new ones.

I agree but you probably could have picked a better example cause Darkest Dungeon turned out great.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

I agree but you probably could have picked a better example cause Darkest Dungeon turned out great.

Are you a long time player

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

It turned out great because they made almost all of the garbage toggleable. For a very long time it wasn't and anyone who suggested maybe it should be was basically yelled off any kind of discussion platform with darksouls style "GIT GUD" comments. Because you know, it's not like the game is very strongly and inherently focused around RNG - and dramatically reducing the things you could do to combat the RNG didn't loving suck.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So they listened to feedback?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Another great BoI tidbit was the pills. Each run you'd get about what was it, 7-8 possible effects? But the more you played the more useless/whacky effects you'd unlock, and some of them would be considered "neutral" rather than bad so the anti-bad pills item would be less helpful as you unlocked more of them too.

e: oh yeah, by the way, I beat The Incomplete One on my 3rd try by cheesing him with a bear-trap, freezing AND the assassin dagger for maximum backstab critting, and it still took way too long.

Zanzibar Ham has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Mar 2, 2018

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I’m glad I’m not nuts. I thought he had a lot more HP than he used to.

Dead Cells definitely just got too hard for me in the last couple patches. Getting completely smoked in a fight and losing 40 minutes of work really sucks, especially in a game where the only solution is getting gud.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

So they listened to feedback?

Eventually. It took ages though.

I think a better example would be the Long War mods for the XCOM reboots. The first one started as a way to add content for replays, and extended the campaign while adding meaningful things to work towards. Being a mod, though, it didn’t have an actual team of testers, and so ended up with a lot of feedback from people who were obscenely good at XCOM. Eventually, the first mission had a bunch of drones that you couldn’t hit because of their height advantage and the difficulty curve was just awful. I love XCOM, and have been playing it since the loving 90s, and that poo poo was a bridge too far.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Lyrai posted:

And as the game goes on, gets more and more useless because it never gains any armor or attack. By midgame he's useless because you're facing enemies who just whomp him once and whoop he's gone.

Useful at endgame or not, it was a part of the game only accessible by buying an entire separate game and an Amiibo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Eventually. It took ages though.

I think a better example would be the Long War mods for the XCOM reboots. The first one started as a way to add content for replays, and extended the campaign while adding meaningful things to work towards. Being a mod, though, it didn’t have an actual team of testers, and so ended up with a lot of feedback from people who were obscenely good at XCOM. Eventually, the first mission had a bunch of drones that you couldn’t hit because of their height advantage and the difficulty curve was just awful. I love XCOM, and have been playing it since the loving 90s, and that poo poo was a bridge too far.

At one point the devs of warframe started completely redoing their storyline and overhauling the planets (for the first time. I think they've done it two or three times since?) and the first planet they tackled was Mercury. The first planet of the game - where all the new players had to play through to start being able to make weapons and reach other stages. They gave energy shields to all the grineer, something only one enemy faction had otherwise, and made the boss scale with player stats so if you got help from stronger players his health jumped up to billions. The boss also had very long invincibility phases.

Oh and the starting three weapons were garbage and had very little ammo. For even the most basic grunts, it would take both clips of your guns to take out the energy shield alone - which would regenerate in the time it took to reload. Which meant you had to rely on your melee weapon. Except the melee guys could kill you in two hits. Players would run out of ammo just trying to complete the first stage. Any complaints by newer players and the devs would just tell them to :getout: for not being hardcore enough. Complaints from older players led to long angry posts about their ~vision~.

They've fixed it since, but the bosses are still garbage because they all have long stupid invincibility phases and a lot of them have really tiny pixel-perfect weak points and the general mentality behind this change hasn't vanished at all.

Feature creep in mods is one hell of a thing though. It's always disappointing when you just want that one mod that gets rid of the skyrim opening sequence. But the next time you install the game it's become some massive, complicated thing with involved quest lines.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Schubalts posted:

Useful at endgame or not, it was a part of the game only accessible by buying an entire separate game and an Amiibo.

It came with Twilight Princess. And anyways it wasnt something required, or even important at all, it was a bonus. It's like when games give you something for having save data from another game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
"Rebalance" game mods are generally not good for a normal player because by the nature of'em the people who'd make such a mod would be people that really like the base game... which means they played it a lot and are probably really good at it. So something that's super easy for them would be challenging for most other people.

And of course in the early stages of a "balancing" mod's development, the people most likely to follow along and provide suggestions are other people who really loved the base game and so are really good at it.