Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Rhyme Time is always bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

Maggie wasn't there? Aww, she's a treat.

Glad it went well - now try not to think about it for 18 months :haw:

Yeah, I totally haven't checked my phone for a missed call every five minutes since 4:30pm yesterday. No siree.

Haha but seriously yeah, pretty much. I know that the odds are super low. Maggie wasn't there, but Corina was super nice and awesome also :3:

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

So, weird scenario here (maybe; maybe it's not weird at all). The online test is coming up again, but they say not to take it if you've auditioned in the last 18 months. I haven't, but I'm scheduled to in a month. Should I just take it anyway, since I haven't auditioned in the last 18 months, or should I not, since the upcoming audition is going to cover me for 18 months so I wouldn't be able to get called from this online test anyway?

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

fruit on the bottom posted:

I had to explain to my senior citizen parents what memes were so thank you Trebek

They're all over your phone.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CellBlock posted:

So, weird scenario here (maybe; maybe it's not weird at all). The online test is coming up again, but they say not to take it if you've auditioned in the last 18 months. I haven't, but I'm scheduled to in a month. Should I just take it anyway, since I haven't auditioned in the last 18 months, or should I not, since the upcoming audition is going to cover me for 18 months so I wouldn't be able to get called from this online test anyway?
The second one, I would think.

Also thank you Jeopardy Jesus for making Alan lose tonight.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Soothing Vapors posted:

how does a blogger not know what a meme is
TBH it is sort of weird that they sourced it against a Wired article from 1994 and not Richard Dawkins in 1976. I got it but that threw me

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

They're all over your phone.
This is a usage of the word that's far more recent than the one in the clue, even more frustratingly

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 27, 2018

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They gave the guy credit for saying "Mary Tyler Moore" when the correct response was "The Mary Tyler Moore Show". One is an actress and one is the name of the TV show.

And yesterday they gave someone "The Hulk" when the answer was "The Incredible Hulk".

judges being too lenient

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Ein cooler Typ posted:

They gave the guy credit for saying "Mary Tyler Moore" when the correct response was "The Mary Tyler Moore Show". One is an actress and one is the name of the TV show.
Your answer is definitely not wrong, but this is literally the title card for the show:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also, The Hulk is the name of the character, The Incredible Hulk is the name of the comic book.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

HookShot posted:

Also, The Hulk is the name of the character, The Incredible Hulk is the name of the comic book.

I did not know that; thank you for correcting my ignorance

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
On several occasions in fact, the Hulk has been quite credible indeed.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!
PINOCCHIO???

PINOCCHIO???????

PINOCCHIO?????????????

To quote the much used line from Hudson Hawk: "Are you f-ing KIDDING ME???"

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Did they slightly shorten the game, or are the players just being slow? I've been seeing a lot of shows lately where they don't complete the boards.

It seems like they added some more time for commercials.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Missed half the game today because another of trumps shitbags resigned. Please ABC, leave the 30minutes a day I don't have to hear about this fuckwad alone.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

rockinricky posted:

Did they slightly shorten the game, or are the players just being slow? I've been seeing a lot of shows lately where they don't complete the boards.

I just think the players are taking longer to clue into what has become some of the stupidest and worst categories in a long while. So yea, they're slow.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rockinricky posted:

apart from still doing the contestant chats (cuz who the hell cares) the worst part about jeopardy is how the show ends with like 6+ minutes left so they could get through every clue every game no matter how slow the contestants are and still have a decent amount of time for commercials.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

apart from still doing the contestant chats (cuz who the hell cares) the worst part about jeopardy is how the show ends with like 6+ minutes left so they could get through every clue every game no matter how slow the contestants are and still have a decent amount of time for commercials.
I like the contestant chats but I'm getting unreasonably irate with how much they've turned into a worthless talent show segment this season

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Yo a tiebreaker!? Is this new?

Also for those of you with twitter this is a cool account. https://twitter.com/JeopardyGuesser They try to blind guess final jeopardy every night after the category before the clue is given. People send them in too. My brothers and I always did this so its cool to me

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Jesus gently caress, that should not have been a FJ that stumped all three players. I mean, all you had to do was pick the islands in between the two countries mentioned in the clue.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
yeah this is the first tiebreaker since they changed the rule and no longer let both players play the next day in case of a tie

I guess they producers got mad at Arthur Chu for intentionally doing ties

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Nah, I can distinctly remember seeing at least one tiebreaker before this. There haven’t been many though, and In fact that one I remember might be the only other one besides today.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I distinctly remember seeing a tiebreaker clue before as well, but it was a whiiiiiiile ago.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Nah, I can distinctly remember seeing at least one tiebreaker before this. There haven’t been many though, and In fact that one I remember might be the only other one besides today.

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I distinctly remember seeing a tiebreaker clue before as well, but it was a whiiiiiiile ago.

The only tiebreaker clue I ever remember was that Teen Tournament one a couple seasons back that crowned Jeff Xie as the winner. I know that they changed the rule the season after a bunch of times right after Arthur's run, but I think this is the first time I ever saw one in the wild, during regular play.

As for Final, I managed to name the right question at the last second, because I forgot how to refer to them until it came to me right then. Agreed that it shouldn't have been a triple stumper, but people overthink things under the lights and all that.

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I totally haven't checked my phone for a missed call every five minutes since 4:30pm yesterday. No siree.

Haha but seriously yeah, pretty much. I know that the odds are super low. Maggie wasn't there, but Corina was super nice and awesome also :3:

Late, but congrats and retro good luck. And yeah, Corina is a treat. Maggie is even better, but Corina is a really great Contestant Coordinator as well. She's the one who the referral emails I hand out are to be sent to as well. I assume Producer Glenn was also there at the audition?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 2, 2018

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Maybe that was the one, the Teen Tournament one.

And yeah, Glenn was there for sure.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

Maybe that was the one, the Teen Tournament one.

And yeah, Glenn was there for sure.

Glenn is cool. He's the guy standing in for Alex and reading the clues during the actual podium practice game you do at the studio after paperwork and makeup to familiarize yourself with the board and the buzzer timing as the audience files in but before Alex makes his actual appearance.

He's also usually the last guy you see as you leave the studio after you lose, as he's the guy who calls the cab for you if you didn't drive over and took the shuttle from the hotel.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

I like the contestant chats but I'm getting unreasonably irate with how much they've turned into a worthless talent show segment this season

i haven't seen them since dvr was invented.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

i haven't seen them since dvr was invented.

I hardly ever watch them either but I did appreciate Laura's :black101: attitude.

That was an extraordinarily easy tiebreaker, though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

haveblue posted:

I hardly ever watch them either but I did appreciate Laura's :black101: attitude.

That FJ went to show that easy questions can seem much more difficult under pressure, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

haveblue posted:

years back when i'd watch with my dad and we saw someone that looked obnoxious he'd torture me with pretending he was gonna stop fastforwarding when alex got to them.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
According to ~*~Facebook comments~*~ that was actually the second tiebreaker question, no one knew the answer to the first, they just didn't show it because of time constraints.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

haveblue posted:

You don't want a tiebreaker that no one gets because that defeats the purpose

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

It drives me up the wall when contestants ring in to answer the last question when they can't overcome the leader's two-way runaway but another player could. Way to buzz in and secure your own loss!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

HookShot posted:

According to ~*~Facebook comments~*~ that was actually the second tiebreaker question, no one knew the answer to the first, they just didn't show it because of time constraints.

Huh, if it was by Andy Saunders, aka the Jeopardy Fan, or someone like Vaughn Winchell, I'd believe it. Wonder who was at the taping to confirm that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vulture Culture posted:

You don't want a tiebreaker that no one gets because that defeats the purpose

True, but that doesn't mean you have to ask about what was probably the single most significant political event outside the US last year.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they should have to play an extra round.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
so Matt won the game but he messed up his wagering when he got the Daily Double as the last clue of Double Jeopardy

Matt had $12000, Shari $9800, Jesse $9600

there are no more clues after this. The most important thing to do is to ensure you are in first place going into final.

so logically Matt should bet 2199 or less

but he bets 3000

if he gets it wrong he will be in third place

what the gently caress was he thinking?

(he ended up getting the daily double right so it didn't matter, but that was very bad strategy)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ein cooler Typ posted:

so Matt won the game but he messed up his wagering when he got the Daily Double as the last clue of Double Jeopardy

there are no more clues after this. The most important thing to do is to ensure you are in first place going into final.

so logically Matt should bet 2199 or less

but he bets 3000

if he gets it wrong he will be in third place

what the gently caress was he thinking?

(he ended up getting the daily double right so it didn't matter, but that was very bad strategy)

Who dares wins

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Ein cooler Typ posted:

There is an alternate valid bet: $8000 to gain the runaway. Even leads to a similar total payday, but with the known category instead of the unknown.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
yeah that works too

depends on how confident you feel in the daily double category

I wouldn't do it if it's something like opera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Very few contestants think of making non even Daily Double wagers. It's almost always a number that ends in a zero.