Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yes but it would probably be quicker and kinder to shoot the wounded ourselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cassa posted:

Could stretchers be tied to the side, like on huey's in Vietnam?

ablative organic uparmouring, I like it

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
To get the ball rolling, I am going to propose a somewhat silly plan. Any ordinary person would probably call it something like "Operation Triple Crown", but since the Soviet version of the group I'm proposing would be called a "bronegruppa", the pun is too good to resist.

OPERATION FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC
Loadout:
x1 BRDM--SHERGAR
--x1 Minimi at left firing port
--x1 PKM at right firing port
--x1 driver with KBKG with 5 rounds and M4
x1 BRDM--SECRETARIAT
--x1 PKM at left firing port
--x1 Minimi at right firing port
--x1 driver with HK69 with 5 rounds and M4
x1 Humvee--MAN O' WAR
--x1 M2 in pintle mount, with Ranger body armor
--x1 MAG in other mount
--x1 driver with M4
--x1 passenger with M4 and grenade launcher with 5 rounds in front passenger seat

All vehicles should carry at least 2 additional machine gun ammunition belts for their respective guns. All personnel should carry at least two smoke grenades, body armor and helmet.

Map of AO

Red dots are areas where I would expect the Grumble command center would set up--they're areas covered from line of sight at our starting position, with reasonable room to park the suspected armored car nearby.

Scheme of Action
Proceed east to KENTUCKY in reversed V formation--SHERGAR and SECRETARIAT ahead of MAN O' WAR, slightly (~10m?) behind and between them. Sweep the red marked points at best speed.
From there, proceed south, passing DERBY, to BELMONT, and sweep those points.
From there, proceed west to PREAKNESS, and sweep those points.

Any time the vehicles must proceed in single file, lead with a BRDM, if possible,

Bring as many machine guns to bear against known targets as possible. Suspected heavy weapons positions should be prioritized by MAN O' WAR.

If an armored car is spotted, one passenger in each vehicle will pop smoke and throw it outside, while the M2 and other machine guns as LOS permit engage and suppress the car. If circumstances permit, the driver should lean out the window and discharge the grenade launcher in the relevant direction.

If someone is injured, complete the immediate skirmish, then reverse into cleared area behind buildings to treat.

This probably is a dumb plan, but it's a plan, so any thoughts?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 27, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
A quick motorized night raid to destroy important stuff?

I'm getting some LRDG vibe here.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Davin Valkri posted:

To get the ball rolling, I am going to propose a somewhat silly plan. Any ordinary person would probably call it something like "Operation Triple Crown", but since the Soviet version of the group I'm proposing would be called a "bronegruppa", the pun is too good to resist.

OPERATION FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC
Loadout:
x1 BRDM--SHERGAR
x1 BRDM--SECRETARIAT
x1 Humvee--MAN O' WAR

Ground looks a bit rough, wouldn't National Hunt heroes have been better? Desert Orchid, Red Rum, and Dawn Run?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I like the plan, but I think we should pop smoke and leave it inside the vehicles. First of all, if we can’t see them, they can’t see us. Secondly, the enemy may assume our vehicles are already disabled and subsequently lower their guard, assuming they could somehow see us in the first place.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Okay, here are some points to consider. As much as I like Operation FIM, I can't help but note the similarities to Abu Hajaar's Last Ride (complete with poorly-controlled GPMGs firing from improvised armored vehicles and Kalashnikovs firing rifle grenades).

It's night. Our vehicles will have to drive with lights of some sort, or have a dismount signalling them. Their visibility will be terrible, too, not to mention being noisy as all get-out. All in all, I fear our enemies will be able to spot us first and direct fire upon us. So, dismounts screening our vehicles will be necessary, alas, lest we want the enemy get the first shots off.

The moment the first shots are fired, we must assume the enemy will react to us. This probably means QRFs and detached enemy positions consolidating. At the same time, this can offer an opportunity if we can catch those reinforcements while they're moving...

Finally, keep in mind we're outnumbered about two to one. Operation FIM's greatest strength is in the mobility, (limited) armor protection, and firepower that we can bring to bear, which we really need; if we move to a dismount-heavy plan, we lose some of those advantages. So, we'll still need our vehicles; we'll just need to find a way to make vehicle/infantry cooperation work.

This is all assuming, btw, that we don't intend on riding to Valhalla, shiny and chrome. Which definitely has its own upsides. :black101:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Seriously though, we just got better camouflage, we’re Tier ~3 Operators, we’ve got half a pack of cigarettes, it’s dark and we’re wearing sunglasses. I think some Solid Snake poo poo would be appropriate.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Operation Dakka
When you gotta be quiet, be as quiet as you can. When you gotta go loud, be as loud as you can. So we're packing two grenade launchers and four machine guns.

We're also leaving the vics behind. Stone walls are better cover than sheet metal.

SITUATION
Enemy Forces
1. One SA-10 Grumble command post.
2. One Platoon(-) of infantry with heavy weapons (HMG, mortars and/or AGLs). Half communist insurgents on perimeter guard. Half Eastern European mercenaries guarding command post. Appx. 20-25 personnel total.
3. One armored car, probable BTR or BRDM-2 type (2-4 crew per vehicle).

Friendly Forces
WHITE - Fire Support
Team Leader/Assistant Gunner: Kongelf Fyksen (40mm grenade launcher + M2HB tripod and ammo)
Gunner: 'Carwash' Shinano (Carwash (M2HB + ammo)

BLACK - Fire Support
Automatic Rifleman: Redshirt Lad (MAG + smoke grenade + PASGT helmet + Ranger Body Armor with Plate)

BLUE - Assault/Fire Support
Team Leader/Automatic Rifleman: Reginald (Minimi + smoke grenade)
Automatic Rifleman: Barry 'Bac' Delago (Minimi + 1 Reload, Browning + 1 Reload, 2x M18; PASGT helmet + PASGT vest + Camo uniform)

RED - Assault
Team Leader/Grenadier: Steamy Hams (Rifle + 40mm grenade launcher)
Rifleman: Mael Radec (Rifle)
Rifleman: Victoria Frankenstein (Rifle)
Rifleman: Jock "Strap: Jenkins" (Rifle)
Rifleman: Alexander Anderson (Rifle)

*NOTE: you guys are free to specify your own loadouts - but if you don't, the default for riflemen will be M4A1 (or Steyr) +2 Reloads, 2x M67; PASGT helmet + PASGT vest + Camo uniform and for automatic riflemen it will be Minimi + 1 Reload, 1x M18; PASGT helmet + PASGT vest + Camo uniform

MISSION
"Our mission will be to find and destroy the command post to disable enemy surface-to-air capabilities. I repeat, you are to enter from the north-western road, reconnoiter the town, find the Grumble command post, and destroy it, to disable enemy surface-to-air capabilities."

EXECUTION

ROE:
-While infiltrating - do not fire on a target unless you are compromised and being fired on (or are about to be fired on)
-Once we begin our assault - If you see anyone armed or in uniform, engage them.

1. Sneak in from the NW, moving prone or at a couch.
2. WHITE team and BLACK team set up fire support positions under the best cover/concealment possible. NOTE - plan has been edited. MAG gunner will move to the second story of the building SE of the deployment crossroads. He will NOT deploy in the bushes.
3. RED team (leading) and BLUE team (trailing) move westward at a prone or at crouch in echelon right formation.
4. RED team clears the NE village, with overwatch by BLUE team.
5. RED team and BLUE team moves south as quickly as possible and clears the center farm.
6. BLUE team sets up fire support positions in the center farmhouse.
7. BLUE team throws smoke to cover RED team.
8. RED team assaults SE to clear the SE village.
9. RED team clears the SE village.
10. RED team sets up a fire support position (ex. 1-2 riflemen) in the SE village.
11. RED team assaults and clears the SW manor.

ADMINISTRATION
Medical:
If anyone is wounded:
1) Gain fire superiority.
2) Pop smoke on the casualty.
3) Move the casualty to cover.
4) Provide first aid and stabilize the casualty - if 'Bac' Delgado is nearby, he'll rush to provide aid
5) If the casualty is stabilized and not critical, leave casualty - complete mission. If the casualty is in critical condition, 'Bac' Delgado (if he is wounded, another soldier will) will grab the casualty and fireman carry him/her to Guzman's aid station.
6) If casualty was left on the field, gather the casualty during exfil and carry them to safety.

Questions?

E: added changes bases on goon suggestions - repositioned the MAG gunner and deleted the BRDM-2.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 7, 2018

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

Questions?

I see that I'm being a solo rifle team. Can I request to have a Rambo styled bandana with 'badass' written on it for the irony of when I get headshotted as soon as I go to deploy?

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

Bacarruda posted:

Questions?
A. Is there a specific reason why you would deploy WHITE and BLACK outside instead of inside 2-storey buildings?
Judging from latwPIAT's post, the green around those houses are bushes. So a 2nd storey window can probably look out above them. Depending on the type of tree and the season, it can probably look out above the treeline as well.

- For WHITE, I'd have put them in the house just NW of their planned position.
- BLACK I would put inside the house your first purple arrow points to.

B. Personally, I'd clear the SW compound before the SE town.

1) WHITE, BLACK and BLUE can setup to cover that area better than they could cover the SE town.
2) Capturing the SW compound lets us use the entire W edge to evacuate the wounded or retreat if things go badly.
3) Shorter distance across open ground before reaching cover.
4) The SW compound feels more likely to be a command center to me. Going SW last might mean having only 3 people left standing to storm it.

C. I don't understand why you'd park the vehicle off-map? WHITE and BLACK will set up a perimeter around the entry zone anyway. If you insist on bringing vehicles, why not park them in the starting village?

In general, having off-map equipment seems strange to me. In my opinion, either we bring equipment and risk losing it on mission or we don't bring it and can't use it. Otherwise it feels very gamey to me.
Even with the headlights turned off, any vehicle will make noise. Judging by the quick conversion earlier in the thread the map distance was about 116yd or 106m.
For reference, that's about 1 football field long. At that distance, all of the vehicles we have can be heard. Especially at night. The area seems rather rural too, which adds to how far sound carries.
Unless latwPIAT already greenlighted it in Discord?

Don't get me wrong, I like the overall idea of your plan.
+ Good use of arrows
+ Strong personal favourite: liberty to choose own loadout
+ Not too complicated

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Pea posted:

A. Is there a specific reason why you would deploy WHITE and BLACK outside instead of inside 2-storey buildings?
Judging from latwPIAT's post, the green around those houses are bushes. So a 2nd storey window can probably look out above them. Depending on the type of tree and the season, it can probably look out above the treeline as well.

- For WHITE, I'd have put them in the house just NW of their planned position.
- BLACK I would put inside the house your first purple arrow points to.

That's a good suggestion. I'll move the MAG gunner to one of the buildings.

I'm unsure if the .50 cal can be fired from indoors, since the tripod's fairly low to the ground. If so, I'll stick in one of the buildings.

latwPIAT, can the Ma Deuce be fired from a window?

Pea posted:

B. Personally, I'd clear the SW compound before the SE town.

1) WHITE, BLACK and BLUE can setup to cover that area better than they could cover the SE town.
2) Capturing the SW compound lets us use the entire W edge to evacuate the wounded or retreat if things go badly.
3) Shorter distance across open ground before reaching cover.
4) The SW compound feels more likely to be a command center to me. Going SW last might mean having only 3 people left standing to storm it.

I agree the SW manor is a likely HQ area.

However, if we clear the SW manor first, we have to assault across open ground and could get caught by enfilading fire from the SE village, the NE village, and the center farm. Hence why I'd like to clear them out first.

I'm not confident we can sneak towards the SW manor without getting spotted and shot up in the open.

Pea posted:

C. I don't understand why you'd park the vehicle off-map? WHITE and BLACK will set up a perimeter around the entry zone anyway. If you insist on bringing vehicles, why not park them in the starting village?

In general, having off-map equipment seems strange to me. In my opinion, either we bring equipment and risk losing it on mission or we don't bring it and can't use it. Otherwise it feels very gamey to me.
Even with the headlights turned off, any vehicle will make noise. Judging by the quick conversion earlier in the thread the map distance was about 116yd or 106m.
For reference, that's about 1 football field long. At that distance, all of the vehicles we have can be heard. Especially at night. The area seems rather rural too, which adds to how far sound carries.
Unless latwPIAT already greenlighted it in Discord?

All things considered, I think I'll just leave the vehicles behind.

Maybe we can leave the BRDM-2 at the aid post and have one of the reservists be our ambulance driver to drive in and snatch wounded guys?

latwPIAT, is that possible?

Pea
Nov 25, 2005

Bacarruda posted:

I agree the SW manor is a likely HQ area.

However, if we clear the SW manor first, we have to assault across open ground and could get caught by enfilading fire from the SE village, the NE village, and the center farm. Hence why I'd like to clear them out first.

I'm not confident we can sneak towards the SW manor without getting spotted and shot up in the open.
My idea was to follow plan Dakka up until RED & BLUE clear the center farmhouse and BLUE sets up fire support.
Then, throw smoke to cover an assault on SW manor instead of going SE village first.

It is indeed a real possibility that the team won't make it across the open ground undetected. Regardless of where we go, there will always be open ground to cross.
However, I like the RED's chances better in the SW because there is a concrete wall + wooded area in the NE corner of the Manor. Which is the corner where our assault will be coming from. If they still live, WHITE, BLACK and BLUE can provide support.
Compare this to the bushes and houses in the SW village. Also, at best, only BLUE can provide support.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What are the penalties for hip firing a RPG during a sprint?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

latwPIAT, can the Ma Deuce be fired from a window?

You'd have to find something to put the bipod on to elevate it to window height, such as a table, desk, or small bedside table. You can almost surely find something in whichever house you pick, but it may take some time to set up. The best case scenario is that someone has a desk adjacent to a window and you can just slam the tripod down. Worst case scenario it's a two-person job to carry a table up the stairs to where you want it.

Bacarruda posted:

Maybe we can leave the BRDM-2 at the aid post and have one of the reservists be our ambulance driver to drive in and snatch wounded guys?

latwPIAT, is that possible?

No: If you want to use a vehicle you have to bring it with you on the mission. Though I will permit you to have it be on the deployment road hex, engine off, when the mission begins. (Though if you were planning to use it as an off-map transport, it escapes me why you wouldn't use the HMMWV instead. It has doors!)

Pvt.Scott posted:

What are the penalties for hip firing a RPG during a sprint?

They start at -6 with maximum Aim Time 1 and get worse from there depending on speed and distance to the target. Expect -11 on top of the RPG's -20-something.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I support the amended PLAN Dakka.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

So I've just marathoned this thread, but I gotta question why nobody is fully using the stealth bonus we get. Surely that can be used to find the target, then bullrush it and fade into the night. I don't get good time to a proper plan until the weekend but surely the stealth modifier is meant to be exploited here.

E: by this I mean 'find and eliminate and GTFO,' not 'clear until you also happen across the objective and then hit it and then gtfo'

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Sighence posted:

So I've just marathoned this thread, but I gotta question why nobody is fully using the stealth bonus we get. Surely that can be used to find the target, then bullrush it and fade into the night. I don't get good time to a proper plan until the weekend but surely the stealth modifier is meant to be exploited here.

E: by this I mean 'find and eliminate and GTFO,' not 'clear until you also happen across the objective and then hit it and then gtfo'

Because they're hard for cars. :caro: :gifttank:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I too think we should cover ourselves in mud and moss and crawl across the fields until we can shank a few guys with our trusty combat knives.

THEN we can go loud.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Is that PLAN Shank?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Operation Crap I Need To Think Of A Good Name That People Will Vote For

The core concept of Op CINTTOAGNTPWVF is the use of our new and shiny M2 Browning to dominate ground, kill vehicles and suppress infantry in buildings. We have a lot of area to cover here and not very many people to do it with. We can't afford to spread out too much either, we'll lose local superiority. Therefore we need to be able to cover areas with fire as much as possible. There's also the threat of the armoured car, against which the Browning is our only entirely reliable weapon (the grenade launchers and small arms will probably do well at close range but we can't count on close range on this map.

Unit organisation:
All equipped as standard with modern digital camouflage, PASGT vests and helmets unless otherwise stated

Team Pink - Fire Support
HMMWV - M2 on pintle, plenty of ammo for all firearms we're taking
Fyksen - FNC + 3x mags, M2 Tripod, M2 belt (when dismounted)
Carwash - Skorpion + 2x mags, 1x M18 Smoke, M2HB (when dismounted)

Team Turquoise - Assault
Strap (SL) - M4 CCO + 5x mags, 2x M67 Frag, 2x M18 Smoke
Ffinch-Ffarrowmere - Minimi + 4x belts
Frankenstein - M4 CCO + 5x mags, HK69A1+ 9x DM11
Radec - M4 CCO + 5x mags, 2x M67 Frag, 2x M18 Smoke

Team International Klein - Close Support
Lad - AUG + 3x mags, 2x M67 Frag, 2x M18 Smoke, 1x Minimi belt
Bac - FNC + 5x mags, Ranger Body Armour, 2x M18 Smoke
Hams - Minimi + 1x belt, 2x FNC mags
Anderson - M4 CCO + 3x mags, HK69A1+ 9x DM11, 1x Minimi belt
BRDM-2/9K31 - No armament or ammunition whatsoever, straps suitable for attaching a prone person to the rear deck, painted all white with large red lions with suns (look it up, it's a protected symbol under the Geneva Conventions and it's way cooler than crosses) for use as a CASEVAC vehicle

Plan

Initial deployment involves the 9K31 being parked facing Guzman with the engine running. Teams deploy in the buildings and the HMMWV remains hidden behind buildings relative to the Seminary complex in the South-West. Team International Klein infiltrates forward as quietly as possible and storms the marked buildings while the HMMWV covers them in the forward direction, shifting quickly forward if needed and Team Turquoise covers them to the South. If Team International Klein runs into immediate trouble then Team Turquoise may move forward to support them.

Team Turquoise moves up quietly and passes through Team International Klein.

And Team International Klein is covered by them as they cross the street and secure the buildings. Once this has been done the HMMWV can move up at best speed, covering South with the gun, and take up position to support the troops through the town.

The teams leapfrog through the town, covering each other and covered by the HMMWV. Once Team International Klein has cleared the church they are to begin setting up a position for the M2HB's tripod while Team Pink dismount it and carry it to the top of the tower. This position can see most of the map. When Carwash is engaging targets Fyksen can spend his time ferrying extra ammo up the tower from the HMMWV.

Once the town is clear the mobile teams can rearm from the HMMWV if needed and then leapfrog into the orchard and farm, covered by Team Pink. A smoke screen is laid along the pictured axis, attempting to screen against the South-East town while allowing all teams to maintain line of sight to the seminary. This screen will probably need to be thrown half way and then have Team Turquoise move up to the end of it and lay the rest during the mad minute.

The seminary is assaulted, with a mad minute from Team International Klein and Team Pink to allow Team Turquoise to gain a foothold, followed by Team International Klein moving up and Team Pink moving back into the general support role.

The South East town is assaulted. I don't really want to plan this bit too hard given that I expect to have either completed all objectives and/or lost the majority of the assault force in the seminary. At tactical commander's discretion with the assets we have left.

Reactions

Upon wounds being sustained
In the event of an injury to someone who isn't Bac:
1. The nearest team member immediately gets the injured party into cover, using smoke to create cover if necessary
2. Team member attempts early first aid while Bac is summoned
3. Bac performs trained first aid and triage
4a. If injured team member cannot be kept alive return to mission
4b. If injured team member can be kept alive for long enough to do so, Bac is to drop all weapons and accoutrements, carry them to the BRDM and drive them to Guzman
4c. If injured team member can be kept alive for long enough to do 4b plus another half an hour, leave them in hard cover and continue with the mission

In the event of an injury to Bac:
1. The nearest team member immediately gets the injured party into cover, using smoke to create cover if necessary, and attempts first aid and triage
2a. If Bac cannot be kept alive return to mission
2b. If Bac can be kept alive for long enough to do so, team member is to drop all weapons and accoutrements (allowing any special weapons to be picked up if possible), carry them to the BRDM and drive them to Guzman
2c. If Bac can be kept alive for long enough to do 2b plus another half an hour, leave them in hard cover and continue with the mission
2d. If the team member doesn't know how long Bac has, perform 2b

In the event of an injury to anyone when south of the farm/orchard complex, because that is deathground and I'm not crossing it twice:
1. The nearest team member immediately gets the injured party into cover, using smoke to create cover if necessary
2. Team member attempts early first aid while Bac is summoned
3. Bac performs trained first aid to stabilise, leaves the wounded in hard cover and returns to the mission

Upon spotting the S-300 Command Trailer
1. Engage with M2 Browning until burning, if it can get line of sight
2. Else engage with DM11 until burning or half of current DM11 stock is expended
3. Else close assault and throw grenades into it. Remember that the people inside will not appreciate this so exercise caution and generally try not to get killed by a nerd.

Upon the S-300 Command Trailer being destroyed with continuing heavy enemy resistance
1. Teams Turquoise and International Klein consolidate and fight from defensible positions
2. Team Pink finishes engaging current targets and loads the M2 back onto the HMMWV
3. Team Pink manoeuvres to the other teams to pick them up, maintaining as much distance as possible from continuing enemy resistance

FrangibleCover fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 18, 2018

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

FrangibleCover posted:

Operation Crap I Need To Think Of A Good Name That People Will Vote For

Once the town is clear the mobile teams can rearm from the HMMWV if needed and then leapfrog into the orchard and farm, covered by Team Pink. A smoke screen is laid along the pictured axis, attempting to screen against the South-East town while allowing all teams to maintain line of sight to the seminary.

This plan hinges on being able to throw smoke grenades to cover the exposed field so the SW compound can be assaulted...and I'm not sure we can.

latwPIAT, can we throw smokes far enough to reliably cover the field?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Bacarruda posted:

This plan hinges on being able to throw smoke grenades to cover the exposed field so the SW compound can be assaulted...and I'm not sure we can.

It's not so much "throwing enough smoke grenades to cover the whole field" as "hope the wind blows the smoke in the correct direction", I think.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Davin Valkri posted:

It's not so much "throwing enough smoke grenades to cover the whole field" as "hope the wind blows the smoke in the correct direction", I think.
A little from column A, a little from column B, a little from column C which is marked "chuck a couple while running if needed" and a healthy dose of accepting that we're not necessarily going to get 100% coverage and sometimes that's just the name of the game.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

The base range of a smoke grenade is 12 hexes (24 yards), and each soldier has a multiplier to this. Bac and Redshirt Lad, for example, can throw a smoke grenade as far as 24 hexes.

If the wind is still the smoke will start as a circle 3 hexes across and add 3 hexes every phase. If the wind is blowing, it'll form a line that grows by 3 hexes every turn. If there's wind, it's always towards a hexside.

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 1, 2018

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

LatwPIAT posted:

The base range of a smoke grenade is 12 hexes (24 yards), and each soldier has a multiplier to this. Bac and Redshirt Lad, for example, can throw a smoke grenade as far as 24 hexes.

If the wind is still the smoke will start as a circle 3 hexes across and add 3 hexes every phase. If the wind is blowing, it'll form a line that grows by 3 hexes every turn. If there's wind, it's always towards a hexside.

Got it.

So it's one of those things that we could theoretically do if everything goes right...but not really something we can count on.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Potential dumb idea, guys: Kbkg with smoke grenades.

Eh? Eh?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Smoke mortar.

Oh wait. We got a stupid HMMWV instead.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Please vote on an action plan by 19:00 GMT+0, Thursday 8 MAR 2018

bibliosabreur posted:

Potential dumb idea, guys: Kbkg with smoke grenades.

Eh? Eh?

Maybe you can ask the Polish army if they still have some DGNs in warehouses, because you certainly don't!

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Kommando posted:

I support the amended PLAN Dakka.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Plan dakka

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
Plan Dakka

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Davin Valkri’s Magical Friendship Tour (OPERATION FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC)

Do we get to paint the vehicles? If so, one of them must be puce. This is not up for negotiation.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
1) Amended Operation Dakka. Operation More Dakka, if you will
2) Operation Crap I Need To Think Of A Good Name That People Will Vote For
3) Friendship is Magic

1) I'm on board, apart from the team going SE village before SW manor but that's a matter of preference.
2) As much as I dislike plans that choose a complete loadout for everyone, I like the order in which it does things best. Also, animated arrows. On the other hand, too complex for my tastes.
3) Good naming scheme and level of complexity but too many vehicles going on for my taste.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
[quote="Pea" post="481908701"]
1) Amended Operation Dakka. Operation More Dakka, if you will
2) Operation Crap I Need To Think Of A Good Name That People Will Vote For
3) Friendship is Magic

Voting in this priority

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Just read this thread. Disappointed there has only been two dead goons yet.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
1. Operation Dakka
2. Operation Crap I Need To Think Of A Good Name That People Will Vote For

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just read this thread. Disappointed there has only been two dead goons yet.

Well, we've got this upcoming op, which looks to have some serious potential to result in goon fatalities if we get caught in a bad spot.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Emy posted:

Well, we've got this upcoming op, which looks to have some serious potential to result in goon fatalities if we get caught in a bad spot.

Good thing I trained up that medic skill! I'm bringing extra duct tape to stick people back together...

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
plan Friendship is Magic looks...daring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Plan Dakka won by an overwhelming amount!

FOR A FEW EUROS MORE: Mission 3:

Team WHITE
Team Leader/Assistant Gunner: Kongelf Fyksen (MOLLE + PASGT vest + PASGT Helmet + HK69A1 w/6 Reloads + M2HB Tripod + M2HB Reload: 115.4 lbs)
Machine Gunner: 'Carwash' Shinano (MOLLE + PASGT Vest + PASGT Helmet + M2HB + M2HB Reload: 185.9 lbs)
Team BLACK
Machine Gunner: Redshirt Lad (MOLLE + Ranger Body Armour w/ Plate + PASGT Helmet + MAG + MAG Reload + M18: 70.2 lbs)
Team BLUE
Team Leader/Automatic Rifleman: Reginald (MOLLE + PASGT Vest + PASGT Helmet + Minimi + Minimi Reload + M18: 51.5 lbs)
Team Leader/Automatic Rifleman: 'Bac' Delago (MOLLE + PASGT Vest + PASGT Helmet + Minimi + Minimi Reload + 2x M18 + Browning HiPower + HP Reload: 55.4)
Team RED
Team Leader/Grenadier: Steamy Hams (MOLLE + PASGT Vest + PASGT Helmet + AUG + 2x AUG Reloads + HK69A1 + 4x HK69A1 Reloads: 42.8 lbs)
Rifleman: Mael Radec (MOLLE + PASGT Vest + PASGT Helmet + M4A1 + 2x M4A1 Reloads + 2x M67: 32.3 lbs)
Rifleman: Victoria Frankenstein (MOLLE + PASGT Vest + PASGT Helmet + M4A1 + 2x M4A1 Reloads + 2x M67: 32.3 lbs)
Rifleman: Jock "Strap: Jenkins" (MOLLE + PASGT Vest + PASGT Helmet + M4A1 + 2x M4A1 Reloads + 2x M67: 32.3 lbs)
Rifleman: Alexander Anderson (MOLLE + PASGT Vest + PASGT Helmet + M4A1 + 2x M4A1 Reloads + 2x M67: 32.3 lbs)

Weather:
Time: Night
Moon: Half
Wind: 11 m/s SE

T+0:00

T+0:00 to T+0:12

BLUE and RED begin their slow crawl eastwards, while WHITE circles the buildings. Redshirt Lad sprints towards the building south-east of the road, breaks the door open, and finds a good window to brace his MAG against.

T+0:12 to T+0:24

As BLUE and RED continue to crawl on their hands and knees across a field, WHITE reaches their destination. Fyksen puts down the tripod and gets ready to help Carwash mount the M2BH.

T+0:24 to T+0:36

Carwash now has a heavy machine gun on a tripod, while Fyksen is set up with his rifle, grenade launcher, and extra ammunition for Carwash within easy reach.

T+0:36 to T+0:48

If teams BLACK and WHITE were to take a look at their Phoenix Command spotting tables, they'll note that the average soldier has no way to spot them from the seminary or any of the building groups to their south-east. Glad you picked the camouflage, eh?

The same can't be said of your enemies, as Redshirt Lad discovers:

T+0:48 to T+1:00

You've gone a whole minute without killing anyone! Wow!

T+1:00 to T+1:12

Trying to maintain an echelon formation is difficult...

Fyksen catches some movement in a window:

T+1:12 to T+1:24

Carwash spots a Tango:

T+1:24 to T+1:36

T+1:36 to T+1:48

To avoid making noise by breaking windows, teams RED and BLUE decide to enter through the veranda door.

T+1:48 to T+2:00

Garden foyer is empty...

Bedrooms and hallway are empty...

Bathroom and kitchen are empty - the house is empty!

And now that I've done that once, in the future I can just say "it takes a few turns", yeah?

RED is ready to clean the second building while BLUE prepares to cross the road...

• Locked thread