Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Don't loving melt down because nobody else is bothered by a plot twist, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Waffleman_ posted:

Y'know, the sequel to the game where one of the main characters died 9 years ago and was trying to prevent themselves from dying and also was explicitly not a ghost of any kind.

And somehow does the exact same twist in the sequel.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

My apologies. Apparently it is expressly forbidden and wrong to say anything even remotely negative about the writing of this game.

Lol you're a literal baby

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
There are problems with the game's story - most notably the "and then I screamed forever ~the end~" bad ends, which are understandable but unsatisfying - but this heavily foreshadowed twist which neatly ties a bunch of bizarre unexplained things together isn't one of them.

Fictional science doesn't have to be 100% accurate even in relatively hard sci-fi, which this really isn't; what matters is whether it makes intuitive sense, and slowed perceptions covering up the reduced gravity passes that test for most people. Likely none of us have been on the moon or had our perceptions slowed by around half, so how would we know what we would or would not notice? It sounds plausible, so let's go with it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Specifically, I think what's trying to be conveyed is that "Being on the Moon isn't 100% accurately portrayed" isn't necessarily an invalid complaint, but it's kinda silly to nitpick over when we establish this is a world where robots, clones, possibly reanimated mummies, a suicide causing virus, and Quark's hat exist.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I came here for bonkers horseshit plot twists and I was certainly not disappointed

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Specifically, I think what's trying to be conveyed is that "Being on the Moon isn't 100% accurately portrayed" isn't necessarily an invalid complaint, but it's kinda silly to nitpick over when we establish this is a world where robots, clones, possibly reanimated mummies, a suicide causing virus, and Quark's hat exist.

I'd probably get Quark's hat if it existed for a reasonable price.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Red Mars, this ain't.

But I like it. Including Quark's hat.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't get why people are complaining about the moon thing. That was revealed in one of the other endings, we've known about it for years now and the only real question was if it was a fake moon base or not. (turns out it's not)

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Look if a quadrillionaire Scottish duck can just waltz onto the moon like nothing then I have no qualms believing that we could be on the moon as well. :colbert:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I don't get why people are complaining about the moon thing. That was revealed in one of the other endings, we've known about it for years now and the only real question was if it was a fake moon base or not. (turns out it's not)
I don't think it was explicitly, in Dio's ending when you get outside with Phi and Dio, the pressure suits are explained away by the virus, and there's just an assumption made that you're in the desert (as it is here, before Tenmyouji explains that you're not).

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
If this game didn't throw countless batshit twists that barely make sense at you at the 11th hour, it wouldn't be a Zero Escape game. C'mon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's less "people" and more "one guy having a small meltdown while everyone else explains why they don't mind"

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Super Jay Mann posted:

Look if a quadrillionaire Scottish duck can just waltz onto the moon like nothing then I have no qualms believing that we could be on the moon as well. :colbert:

All it takes is a good soundtrack, really

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I don't really mind the twist here per se, but you've gotta raise an eyebrow at how awfully convenient it is that Radical-6 slows the brain's processing speed by the exact amount it would take for the Moon's gravity to not seem weird. :thunk:

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I don't really mind the twist here per se, but you've gotta raise an eyebrow at how awfully convenient it is that Radical-6 slows the brain's processing speed by the exact amount it would take for the Moon's gravity to not seem weird. :thunk:

It is a coincidence in the same way the moon is almost exactly the same size as the sun on the sky. This is obvious due to the eclipse theme. And this is an extremely reasonable guess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It's a story. You may as well say "it's awfully convenient that the ring wound up across the continent in the hands of the one hobbit who was strong enough to get it to Mt Doom."

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Your consciousness does not yet occupy fourth dimensional space.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

hyphz posted:

Your consciousness does not yet occupy fourth dimensional space.

*somethingsomethingTERMITESsomethingsomethingMORPHOGENETICFIELDsomethingsomething*

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
ZTD is about traveling to the prehistoric era in order to make the moon the perfect size to sync up its gravity with the radical 6 effects

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bruceski posted:

It's a story. You may as well say "it's awfully convenient that the ring wound up across the continent in the hands of the one hobbit who was strong enough to get it to Mt Doom."

well yeah, but you have to admit the Zero Escape narrative conveniences are in their own special class of weird here

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's what makes these games special.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Alopex posted:

ZTD is about traveling to the prehistoric era in order to make the moon the perfect size to sync up its gravity with the radical 6 effects

I know it's been out for more than a year but spoiling the plot is not cool man. That part of the game where you Nah I'm just screwing with anyone that believed you for a moment. Maybe we'll get a sequel where Zero was actually Uchikoshi who was making puzzles in his 999 series to increase the morphogenetic field across the world so that he can solve escape rooms faster.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Then it would be Zero Escape: A Hideo Kojima Production

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
VLR OST: [Consternation]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

This isn't New Year's Eve in 2028.
Today is January 27th.

In '29?

No.

Don't tell me...'30?

Still no.

Then just what year is this?!

That would mean we were abducted more than forty-five years ago!

I don't blame you if you don't believe me.
But it's the truth.

How can you be sure...?

It's not that hard.
Quark and I left Earth on January 23rd, 2074.
Solar eclipses are easy to predict.

That's just science.
Nobody can change that.

That's a long story...
About forty-five years ago, on April 13th, 2029, there were eighteen annihiliation reactors operating in various parts of the world.

The explosion was about 180,000 times as powerful as the atom bomb they dropped on Hiroshima.

Wh...what? Why?

I suppose it started a few months before that.

[Music fades out]

On December 31st, 2028, there was an accident.

...Well, "accident" doesn't quite convey the right sense of the thing...
The point is, Radical-6 claimed its first victims there, then escaped.
Didn't take long for it to spread to the rest of the world.

But eventually, it also makes you kill yourself.

VLR OST: [Blue Bird Lamentation]

Some people would take a dive off a building or shoot themselves in the head. You know, the classics.
But for some it was poison, or fire, or asphyxiation, or the noose...
Plenty of people jumped in front of trains or cars.
One pilot on a passenger airline drove his plane into the ground.

Most forms of transportation ground to a halt pretty fast.
That meant food couldn't get distributed, and thousands of people who weren't even infected died from starvation.

Everywhere you went there were just...piles of corpses, covered in flies and rats and crows.
I don't know what Hell's like, but I imagine it's a lot like that.

They got a hold of some radios, and organized a couple meetings.
There was only one thing to discuss, of course.
How could they get rid of Radical-6?
The answer, they decided, was purification.
They figured they could just roast the surface of the earth, and that'd kill the virus off for good.

That plan was to detonate all eighteen annihilation reactors.

But I've got my own theories.

I think that the bombers had already been infected...
And when they died, they took billions with them. The ultimate "if I die, you're coming with me" gesture, I suppose.
I'd bet you money they'd all lost it long before they got to the reactors.

Killing most of the world, no matter how bad things had gotten, was not a sane plan. Even if it wasn't directly responsible, Radical-6 killed most of the people on Earth.

Anyway, why it happened isn't that important. Point is, it happened.

The explosions threw a ton of crap up into the stratosphere, where it joined up with smoke and ash from all the fires.
It blotted out the sun for seven years.
Plants withered, and animals died by the millions.
The few humans who were left banded together to survive.

Eventually they were over, though. The sky cleared and the sun came back.
Plants started blooming again, and the animals that hadn't died out completely began to reappear.

Things weren't quite back to normal, though.
It's been 45 years now, but there's still quite a bit of dust and ash in the air.

That's what you're seeing.

Blue and green light have short wavelengths, and they scatter when they run into debris in the air.
Red light, on the other hand, has a longer wavelength, which means it'll get a lot farther when the air's dirty.

So there you are.
The Earth looks red because that's the only color of light that can make it through the atmosphere.

I was speechless. What could I possibly say?
There was no reason for Tenmyouji to lie to us.

So we were standing on the Moon...
Looking at the Earth.

It was 2074.

But...why?
Why were we there?
Why were we then?

[Music fades out]

I was so lost in thought I barely noticed Phi's approach.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

I think I figured something out.

A window popped up on the inside of my helmet with "WHISPER" in the corner.
She seemed to be using a circuit only we could hear.

Yeah? What is it?

I figured out why there's an extra "e."

An extra "e"...? Oh, you mean the graffiti...

Yeah, the one on floor B.

999 OST: [Digital Root]

What's Anna say this time?

Goddamnit Sigma! Knock it off!

"Memento mori if the nineth lion ate the sun."
If you rearrange the letters, you get...
"The man on the moon rules the infinite time."
See?

You need six "e"s to get that.
So they stuck an extra one in "ninth."

"The man on the moon rules the infinite time."
Hm...

Remember what she was telling us?

To transport the consciousnesses of two people into the past. Those two people are you, Sigma, and you, Phi.

My God you're slow. You don't get it?
They're saying we rule the infinite time.
Infinite time...
They weren't just talking about having us jump a couple hours.
I think they're planning to send us back. Way back.

W-Wait a minute...
Are you saying you think they're going to send us back 45 years?

Yeah. I'd bet on it.

I think so.

That doesn't make sense, though...
I mean, we came from that same time period—before it, actually.
So why bring us here and then send us back?

[Music fades out]

Let's go pay her a visit.

Do you know where she is?

I've...got an idea.

...?

C'mon, think. Remember what she said when she gave you the key?

VLR OST: [Strain]

We turned and ran back in to the pressure exchange chamber, the others following close behind.

What... What are you doing...?
Did you forget something...?

We're going to go have a talk with somebody.

Who...?

You really need me to spell it out?
The person behind all this.

...What?

I'll take that as a yes.
Let me accompany you, then.

Wait. Why do you know about Akane?

I'll tell you when we get there.
Now, if you please...

You folks just said the magic word.

So am I.

Yeah.
You know her real well.

Wait... You... You're not...

You're serious...? What the hell is going on?!

Argh! Shut up!
Just shut up! Come if you want to! We don't need to do roll call!
Once we get there, Akane can explain everything!

With that, we headed back through the airlock.

Again, we made our way through the three chambers, only backward this time.

Then, finally, we climbed out of our suits and onto the lift.

The number nine door on floor A is shut forever once the game ends.
Assuming Zero Jr. was telling the truth, of course...
But the door on floor B...

Yeah. I thought we might be able to take the lift to it, and it looks like I was right.

Any idea where Akane might be?

Yeah. The grave.

Y-You mean the grave in the garden...?

Yeah. Don't worry.
I don't think she's buried there or anything.
Chances are she's alive. Just...in the grave...

Anyway, let's move! To the garden!

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I appreciate the fact that Sigma and Phi have seen so much poo poo at this point that this is really just old hat to them.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

45 years since the disaster, 4+5 = 9, also 4 and 5 are the bracelet numbers of Clover and Junpei, the two prior Nonary game participants involved in this one :tinfoil:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And now we have context why Quark finds a root beer float to be so amazing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Do you need a reason?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So is the endgame for the project sending Sigma and Phi's consciousness to the past with knowledge of how to make Axelavir in order to cure Radical-6 and save humanity?

If so, why would Brother and Myrmidon want this project to fail again? It's been ages so I don't remember what their goal was.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And now we have context why Quark finds a root beer float to be so amazing.

Junpei's also a massive badass for surviving all of that and coming out as well-adjusted as he is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nonary Game toughens a guy up.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

amigolupus posted:

Junpei's also a massive badass for surviving all of that and coming out as well-adjusted as he is.

A shame that he became so jaded he was willing to sell out Clover, a friend who clearly trusts him implicitly, just to save Quark, which is even more of a dick move given what we know now.

Although I suppose, much like Clover's axe fixation, that also technically never happened.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Do you need a reason?

Well no, but it gives more context!

amigolupus posted:

So is the endgame for the project sending Sigma and Phi's consciousness to the past with knowledge of how to make Axelavir in order to cure Radical-6 and save humanity?

If so, why would Brother and Myrmidon want this project to fail again? It's been ages so I don't remember what their goal was.

Alice states that the Myrmidons are the ones who released the virus in the first place due to some kind of cultist mentality or some such.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Super Jay Mann posted:

A shame that he became so jaded he was willing to sell out Clover, a friend who clearly trusts him implicitly, just to save Quark, which is even more of a dick move given what we know now.

Although I suppose, much like Clover's axe fixation, that also technically never happened.

I mean, it's been 45 years and he spent probably the lesser part of a week with her, whereas he more or less raised Quark.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Alice states that the Myrmidons are the ones who released the virus in the first place due to some kind of cultist mentality or some such.

True, but that doesn't mean it's fact. We don't really know what happened 45 years ago. The Myrmidons might not be behind it at all.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So... you guys weren't kidding when you said the plot in this game is kinda backloaded.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also worth noting, that in every single other ending which features people left safely alive but trapped inside, the people who escaped could have saved the rest just by exploring where the elevator can go instead of immediately hightailing it out of there.

Well, Dio wouldn't, obviously.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I just got it, oh god it took me close to five years to figure out the thread title was a loving rabbit pun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well, let's see who escaped in each ending:

Luna: Phi, Quark. Sigma only one left alive.
K: Nobody
Dio: Dio, Phi, Sigma.
Tenmyouji: Tenmyouji, Quark, Clover.
Quark: K, Dio
Clover: EVERYONE DIES
Alice: EVERYONE DIES
Sigma: Everyone except Sigma

So the Luna and Tenmyouji endings are the only ones where I could see people going back, because Dio's a factor in the others.

• Locked thread