Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I think I'm going to cancel my X-H1 for the A7III? It just seems... very good? I love Fuji colors straight out of the camera but I don't know if that's enough to keep me there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
The A7 III looks ridiculously good for the price. Sony has come a long way with their lens selection in the last couple of years too.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I've talked myself into an A7iii and 16-35/4. I was already looking at Sony and this just seems like a no brainer. Kinda disappointed by the AU RRP of $3099 though.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

SimpleCoax posted:

At a wedding I can put the X100F in my pocket if I’m mostly there to have a good time. Also exactly the time I want to get a portrait for example, but maybe the future is bokeh on phones now for such a situation. I disagree that an X-H1 would apply to all situations. Anyway I just got off topic after giving my convoluted opinion of an X100 model.

I've noticed that most normal people can't really tell the difference between phone bokeh from expensive fast lens bokeh on Instagram or Facebook.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I’m still not ready to open the full-frame can of worms in my life, but the A7iii is definitely the sensible upgrade path for me if I were to do it (going from a Sony APS-C joint).

In more sane decision-making news, I ordered the Sigma 16mm f1.4 that everyone seems to be crapping their pants over. Can’t wait to use it on the gimbal. With that aperture, I can do slow motion without cranking the sensitivity through the roof.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Hey guys - I’m a Canon user that may make the leap to the AIII. I only have the 80D so my lenses are pretty cheap (10-18 EF-S, 50 EF, 18-55 EF-S and 55-250 EF-S).

I’m not familiar with Sony lenses or third party lenses for Sony cameras but what are considered the “must-haves”? I like wide angle lenses and shots quite a bit as well as anything more compact for travel. Looking mostly for zooms so I could have more flexibility as well.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

InFlames235 posted:

Hey guys - I’m a Canon user that may make the leap to the AIII. I only have the 80D so my lenses are pretty cheap (10-18 EF-S, 50 EF, 18-55 EF-S and 55-250 EF-S).

I’m not familiar with Sony lenses or third party lenses for Sony cameras but what are considered the “must-haves”? I like wide angle lenses and shots quite a bit as well as anything more compact for travel. Looking mostly for zooms so I could have more flexibility as well.

If you’re willing to go full frame you can make a good kit with a 12-24, 24-105, and a 70-300G.

These aren’t cheap compared to your APS lenses. If you want to stick to APS, then the 10-18, new 18-135, and 55-200 would give you similar performance.

If you love wide angle the 12-24 full frame is an absolute winner. Small, light, and stupidly sharp and well corrected.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 27, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
RE: X100T / X100F. I sniped a black X100T for $650 shipped (which might be a little high, but I wanted a black one), and I'll play with an F at the store. Worst case I can flip the T and buy an F.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 27, 2018

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

kefkafloyd posted:

If you’re willing to go full

If you’re willing to go full frame you can make a good kit with a 12-24, 24-105, and a 70-300G.

These aren’t cheap compared to your APS lenses. If you want to stick to APS, then the 10-18, new 18-135, and 55-200 would give you similar performance.

If you love wide angle the 12-24 full frame is an absolute winner. Small, light, and stupidly sharp and well corrected.

Would you do the 24-105 over the much cheaper 18-105? Both look to be e-mount and have great reviews but the 18 is $600 vs $1200 for 24-105 and offers a wider focal length.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The 18-105 is awesome, but it's a crop lens. The other is full frame (hence the FE in the name). The prices jump considerably between the two formats.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

InFlames235 posted:

Would you do the 24-105 over the much cheaper 18-105? Both look to be e-mount and have great reviews but the 18 is $600 vs $1200 for 24-105 and offers a wider focal length.

The 24-105 is for full frame. You can still use the 24-105 on a crop body but you'll lose out on wide angle. The 18-105 and 18-135 are APS-C only and variable aperture and are around the same price, the difference is that the 18-105 has a power zoom function for video. The 18-70 f/4 Zeiss is the APS version of the 24-105 but it gets decent, not great reviews.

Are you looking to go crop (A6/3/500) or Full Frame (a7/a9 series)?

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Wikipedia Brown posted:

The 18-105 is awesome, but it's a crop lens. The other is full frame (hence the FE in the name). The prices jump considerably between the two formats.

Ahh ok I wasn’t sure about Sony naming conventions. I thought “e-mount” works with any e-mount camera. So I need to look for FE moniker.

kefkafloyd posted:

The 24-105 is for full frame. You can still use the 24-105 on a crop body but you'll lose out on wide angle. The 18-105 and 18-135 are APS-C only and variable aperture and are around the same price, the difference is that the 18-105 has a power zoom function for video. The 18-70 f/4 Zeiss is the APS version of the 24-105 but it gets decent, not great reviews.

Are you looking to go crop (A6/3/500) or Full Frame (a7/a9 series)?

The A7III is likely what I’d want to move to after the announcement so looks like the 24-105 is more along the lines of what I’d need.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
One thing to keep in mind is that you can use crop lenses anyway, but you'll get a narrower FOV and only be using part of the sensor.

Which, like, with the a7r series is ok because you have too many megapixels anyway, but may be a noticeable sacrifice with the one you're looking at. The compatibility is nice for people who already have a collection of aps-c e-mount lenses.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

InFlames235 posted:

Ahh ok I wasn’t sure about Sony naming conventions. I thought “e-mount” works with any e-mount camera. So I need to look for FE moniker.

You can use any E-mount lens on any body. It's not like EF-S which has mechanical restrictions. You can mount an APS-C E-mount lens on a full frame E-mount body and it will automatically switch to crop mode. You just won't take advantage of all of your sensor area. That itself is an option, you can shoot them uncropped with a lot of vignetting if you choose.

quote:

The A7III is likely what I’d want to move to after the announcement so looks like the 24-105 is more along the lines of what I’d need.

In that case, look at the 12-24, 24-105, and 70-300G.

You would probably pick up the 12-24 and 24-105 to start with and then get the telephoto when you find the need. Unfortunately there's not a lot out there for cheap FE teles for occasional use.

As far as primes, you can look into the 85mm f/1.8 which is (relatively) cheap and good.

The Dyxum lens database lists all A- and E-mount lenses and their stats. Just set it to E-mount for filter options and you can see what's available. http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

I started with an Olympus OMD EM5 and a 12-50mm and added a couple primes when I could, i would do the same again. If you are willing to buy refurb you could get a nice deal straight from Olympus.

There are a million Fuji fans here who can recommend a similar, or in their mind better, deal from Fuji.

Is the 12-40 or 12-50 going to be decent enough to start with for indoor dim lit venues? I'll probably just get that one to start, but wondering if there's something I should keep my eye on long term.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InFlames235 posted:

I would consider the 90mm f2.8 macro G a must have for Sony, which doesn't address your needs, but God drat is it ever amazing.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

RoryGilmore posted:

Is the 12-40 or 12-50 going to be decent enough to start with for indoor dim lit venues? I'll probably just get that one to start, but wondering if there's something I should keep my eye on long term.

The 12-50mm also does macro and suited my needs needs until I picked up the 17mm and 45mm prime. If you dont care for the 12-50mm which can be had for cheap the 17mm or 25mm are well regarded.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

I would consider the 90mm f2.8 macro G a must have for Sony, which doesn't address your needs, but God drat is it ever amazing.

Fantastic. I just opened the thread to ask about this very lens.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Well, now I've got a friend who is into photography encouraging me to jump on the Sony Full frame train. Says that between the A7III and all the new FE mount lenses coming out, that full frame mirrorless is the future and APC-S is the past. Damnit!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I think you will rarely find a bad macro lens from any brand anyway.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

cheese posted:

Well, now I've got a friend who is into photography encouraging me to jump on the Sony Full frame train. Says that between the A7III and all the new FE mount lenses coming out, that full frame mirrorless is the future and APC-S is the past. Damnit!

loving k1-2 is the future of all things imo

damnit pentax

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

Fantastic. I just opened the thread to ask about this very lens.

I was only playing with it in the store, but it handles incredibly, even on an a6300.

alkanphel posted:

I think you will rarely find a bad macro lens from any brand anyway.

There's not bad, then there's Olympus, and then there's this thing. It very nearly pushed me to Sony, but the rest of my budget couldn't handle it. It's not just the image quality (which I could only judge from the rear LCD), it's the feel of it. The balance, the focusing, and the stabilization are superb. When you're hand shooting macro stuff in natural light as opposed to tripod mounted studio stuff, those sorts of things are what sets it apart.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

cheese posted:

People have been saying APS-C is a thing of the past since the very first 5D came out 13 years ago. Tell your friend he's wrong, APS-C and M4/3 are here to stay get used to it.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

8th-snype posted:

People have been saying APS-C is a thing of the past since the very first 5D came out 13 years ago. Tell your friend he's wrong, APS-C and M4/3 are here to stay get used to it.
His perspective seemed to be that the advantages that the smaller sensors have always had (smaller size, cheaper, easier implementation of IBIS, cheaper glass) is being eroded by Sony full frame mirrorless.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
As a hobbyist, I had always put FF on a pedestal (especially the D700) until around the time Fuji announced the 56mm. I realized you could make APS lens tailer to the APS image circle with same level of quality and even large aperture to compensate for the DOF difference, then there is no point for me to "eventual" upgrade to FF.

Also, I believe the future of photography will move toward array of small sensors and lens to compose an ultra high resolution image, or the DOF will be dialed in afterward based on embedded 3D matrix.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

cheese posted:

His perspective seemed to be that the advantages that the smaller sensors have always had (smaller size, cheaper, easier implementation of IBIS, cheaper glass) is being eroded by Sony full frame mirrorless.

Ask your friend about all that cheap full-frame glass that Sony makes. Compare that to Fuji or M4/3 and then figure out what you want: the best specc’ed body and a couple lenses or a great camera body with a bag full of lenses.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

cheese posted:

Except Sony is larger and way more expensive than the APS-C stuff I own. If FF DSLRs didn't kill APS-C then FF MILC certainly won't. I like that Sony makes decent bodies now but lol if I'm gonna carry glass that big.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
And it’s not like the Sony full frame mirror less is cheaper than full frame either, look at how much a D750 or a 6d costs. Similar to an a7.

Plus the lenses aren’t smaller either because physics.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
After being used to NEX cameras and other stuff in that ballpark, I rented an A7S and it felt gargantuan. Smaller can be nice; it’s not just that a smaller camera is easier to carry around, but you draw less attention to yourself. It’s all “lol, just taking some dumb pics, act natural” instead of “I am a ~photographer~.” :smug:

Even with a smaller camera, sometimes I have so much bullshit hanging off of it that I start to feel silly, like I should be getting paid to take pictures of my dog and son.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

cheese posted:

If Sony has lenses like Fuji and they were the same prices then maybe. Not to mention people preferring external aperture rings and shutter/ISO controls etc. The new Sony body looks cool but they excel at neat technology rather than lenses I actually want to buy and use and I don’t think I’m alone. People have talked doom and gloom on APS-C for a long time now and I don’t see how this one body is going to make people who like the strengths of other systems (Fuji’s advantages for APS-C, m4/3 advantages etc.) suddenly need to switch to FF.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rio posted:

If Sony has lenses like Fuji and they were the same prices then maybe. Not to mention people preferring external aperture rings and shutter/ISO controls etc. The new Sony body looks cool but they excel at neat technology rather than lenses I actually want to buy and use and I don’t think I’m alone. People have talked doom and gloom on APS-C for a long time now and I don’t see how this one body is going to make people who like the strengths of other systems (Fuji’s advantages for APS-C, m4/3 advantages etc.) suddenly need to switch to FF.

Yeah, I went from Canon full frame to fuji. I mostly did it for the better sensor, and figured the depth difference wouldn't be that bad. Do not miss full frame at all. Fuji XT system is too in between in size to be a difference maker for me. Too small for hand comfort, too big to be pocketable.

And, drat, fuji makes great lenses, AND does real, significant body updates by firmware. As a company, they've already earned my loyalty like Canon never did.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wikipedia Brown posted:

As a former owner of the 18-105 I'm going to give a different opinion- it's my least favourite lens in the Sony lineup. Stuck at F4, very soft at its wider apertures. Long and unwieldy. A true "jack of all trades" lens that does "all" things but isn't good at any one thing. But then again all of Sony's zoom APSC lenses are pretty mediocre.

Nice zoom rocker though.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 28, 2018

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

melon cat posted:

As a former owner of the 18-105 I'm going to give a different opinion- it's my least favourite lens in the Sony lineup. Stuck at F4, very soft at its wider apertures. Long and unwieldy. A true "jack of all trades" lens that does "all" things but isn't good at any one thing. But then again all of Sony's zoom APSC lenses are pretty mediocre.

Nice zoom rocker though.

I probably should have specified that I only really use it for video (when there’s a lot of light available). The constant aperture throughtout the whole range, and the fact that it more or less keeps focus throughout its smooth motorized zoom make it really handy. For stills, it’s not the best. Those same features make it kind of overbuilt.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Well I was going to upgrade to the A7III but I think the ~$3k entry price (to get the camera and 24-105 lens) might end prohibiting me :(. I only spent maybe $1500 total on my 80D and 4 lenses so don’t know if I’m quite at the point to wanting to double that for a body and one lens.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

torgeaux posted:

And, drat, fuji makes great lenses, AND does real, significant body updates by firmware. As a company, they've already earned my loyalty like Canon never did.

Yup, lots of my enthusiasm comes from the fact that my money goes way further in Fuji bodies than any other company's.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I view Sony FF cameras as, like, specialized tools that one would use when they need something that Sony's advanced sensor technology offers. Consequently, even though the a7III seems like a great all-around camera from the spec sheet, if I ever saw myself going into the Sony FF system ($$$$), it would be for doing low-light wildlife photo/video (a7SII) or as a partial replacement for medium format film for landscapes (a7RII/III). The X-T2, with it's dials and above-average JPEG engine, is great for most applications because it's a pleasure to use.

Edit: But if you're riding the A7III hype train, it looks like Sigma just announced a pretty complete (ultra-tele excepted) set of primes that will be native to the FE mount. Good timing.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 28, 2018

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I think I'm going to stick with Fuji. I'm only 350 in for that used X-E2s and will be grabbing a 23mm F2 as my first lens this week.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has Sony's menus improved though? I've read that they've been terrible at them.

I also agree that Sony's FF offerings draw too much attention.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Fuji X Raw Studio is out for Windows

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/x_raw_studio/win/

I am sick of trying to match SOOC jpegs in lightroom. The built in profiles look okay but they don't inherit any of the highlight or shadow adjustment settings which is a huge issue for me.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

polyester concept posted:

Fuji X Raw Studio is out for Windows

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/x_raw_studio/win/

I am sick of trying to match SOOC jpegs in lightroom. The built in profiles look okay but they don't inherit any of the highlight or shadow adjustment settings which is a huge issue for me.

Nice! But it doesn't seem compatible with the X-T1...

(I should update my firmware regardless)