Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

That leads into a whole series of questions. Does she appear in infrared scans? What does she look like under ultraviolet light? Can she get x-rays? If Aizawa can't erase her quirk, does that it's just a part of her, rather than an ability she has? Or that he can't erase it because he can't see her?

Her ability is refraction so presumably nothing like that would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What about sonar?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Cut to: that panel in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen where Mina Harker tosses paint on the invisible man just as he's trying to rape someone.

It's not a great comic.

an alan moore vehicle that's undercut by weird power dynamic sex poo poo? color me shocked!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Horikoshi scans the My Hero Academia thread, his palms getting sweatier and sweatier as his eyes dart from question to question.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

If Aizawa can't erase her quirk, does that it's just a part of her, rather than an ability she has?

He can't erase stuff that is intrinsic to the person's body. It talks about it at some point.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Gonzo McFee posted:

I just finished watching the first two series of this.

My thoughts are that I really enjoyed it and I liked that they had Piccolo voice All Might because I had Piccolo/Gohan Flashbacks at all the training scenes.

I did, however, hate ball diaper boy. I hate him so much and cringe every time he's on screen. I want him to die horribly. He made me think Stain did nothing wrong.

HI this is me

But I loving love p much everything else

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Does Neito Monoma have to want to copy a power before he touches someone? Or does it just happen?

I swear the one lunch room scene where he bumps into midoria had me thinking he was trying to copy his power to see what it is. Would also wonder if OFA could be copied like that, or if it did if it would harm the person who copied a poo poo ton of power all at once.

Also his name is Neito, he copies powers, uses them against his opponent and then should go "Real loving neito"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kild posted:

Her ability is refraction so presumably nothing like that would work.

Alright we're gonna be using ultrasound to get your wisdom tooth out of there, I've never done this before so we'll only be using local anesthesia and just holler if we miss and poke something we shouldn't

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Hagakure could have clothes made from her hair like [Redacted] does and no one would know.

Edit: Whoops

Vonnie fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 28, 2018

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

Re:zero sucked.

I really liked the premise of the show, in a pseudo groundhog day sense, but the main character annoys me too much in 80% of the episodes to rate it very highly.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bofast posted:

I really liked the premise of the show, in a pseudo groundhog day sense, but the main character annoys me too much in 80% of the episodes to rate it very highly.

He's a brutal takedown of a typical isekai protagonist and by extension, the otaku who use them as self-inserts so yes, he is supposed to annoy you.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

'tis the anime thread.

e: I mean, it's not a big deal, but it's a character that hasn't been introduced yet, so :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Eej posted:

He's a brutal takedown of a typical isekai protagonist and by extension, the otaku who use them as self-inserts so yes, he is supposed to annoy you.

The problem is that no one wants to watch a show where the protagonist annoys them, on purpose or by accident.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
He gets better. Though it takes a long-rear end time.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Vonnie posted:

Hagakure could have clothes made from her hair like [manga spoiler] Mirio does and no one would know.

This is actually a good idea that should show up in the actual story.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I found Subaru pretty fine as of the final loop of the first arc.

...Then he went dumb as poo poo and jumped off the fuckin' deep end at the start of the third arc until he grew up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problem is that no one wants to watch a show where the protagonist annoys them, on purpose or by accident.

I keep watching Dragon Ball. I watched a lot of series where I hated the protagonist but liked the rest of the cast and plot enough to continue.

At least I'm meant to dislike Subaru at his worst.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I've always thought Hagakure would be severely limited in her heroing by having to run around nekkers all the time. She couldn't fight crime on cold or rainy days; if a window shatters, she'd have a hard time walking around (the Die Hard conundrum); personal takedowns could get REALLY personal; and anything she could wear to mitigate these problems also negates her biggest advantage.

Invisible Girl: the Fair-Weather Hero.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I imagine she'd be more useful for infiltration and scouting than actually directly fighting people - ideally no-one would ever know she was even there. It presents something of a problem though in a world where how you brand and market yourself is seen as more important than what you actually do.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"All that good stuff that happened was totally me you can't prove it wasn't"

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Whenever Hagakure's not in frame, all the readers/watchers should be saying, "There's Hagakure!"

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

I guess if that was the intent, it's very successful, even if using an anime character as a self insert in the first place seems weird to me. I still can't like a show where I can't root for the main character, though.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I know one guy who does. Then again, if I know him, he might just be into it for the anime waifu angle.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bofast posted:

I guess if that was the intent, it's very successful, even if using an anime character as a self insert in the first place seems weird to me. I still can't like a show where I can't root for the main character, though.

It's very common especially amongst the most popular light novels. It's not necessarily a conscious thing but most of these male protagonists exist as wish fulfillment of some sort, be it as just a generic dope who somehow catches the eye of four incredibly attractive girls or the main character of mahouka who is this brooding loner at school who gets bullied for being weak but secretly has vastly more power than he seems.

In any case, Subaru is super genre savvy. He's the guy who knows enough about isekai that he's totally nonplussed and even hyped to be transported to a fantasy world. He's also a god drat NEET so his interpersonal skills are awful and he's annoying in the ways you'd expect a shameless NEET to be.

The biggest example I can think of is when he breaks his promise and goes to save Emilia and he unloads all of his feelings about the hell he has gone through to protect her and she says that she never asked for him to put himself through so much pain and if he thinks that's what she wanted then he's in love with an Emilia that only exists in his head. It's a really good scene because it's a very common behaviour amongst the kind of people that Subaru represents. Specifically that they go out of their way to do things for someone that they never asked for or even wanted and expect love or reward in return for doing them. They don't understand that kind of behaviour is selfish and patronizing because it doesn't take into account the other person's feelings (because of course they'd be happy if you did something so good for them) and manipulative because it places guilt onto the receiving party for the struggle they went through and even more guilt if they refuse to reward them.

I'm not even the biggest Re:Zero fan but that scene really stands out for me still because it's such a strong rebuke against some pretty typical real life male behaviour that is often rewarded in this genre.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Having had to deal with a student who went off on another student for those reasons (male student got angry and cursed the girl out), I really appreciate that scene a lot more now.
Like, I knew what it was doing before, but holy poo poo people actually do that.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

the likeable characters meme is a cancer on the mind

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It was already posted in the manga thread, but this should probably be here, new trailer for S3!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JezE6iZUWxo

The opening, as shown here, is UVERworld's "Odd Future." The ending theme will be performed by singer-songwriter miwa but we know nothing more than that.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm pretty hype for this season, even more so then for S2

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm pretty hype for this season, even more so then for S2

I celebrated the new trailer by finally starting to read the manga, and it's only gotten me even more hype to see it all animated. :woop:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I just started watching this show on the recommendation of a friend. I’m only three episodes in, but I like that Deku is your typical shonen/isekai protagonist but his body literally can’t handle the power All Might gave him. And that’s with 10 months of training!

Anyway I’ll check back in here when I finish season 2

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Carlosologist posted:

I just started watching this show on the recommendation of a friend. I’m only three episodes in, but I like that Deku is your typical shonen/isekai protagonist but his body literally can’t handle the power All Might gave him. And that’s with 10 months of training!

Anyway I’ll check back in here when I finish season 2

I get that you're only three episodes in, but I'm not sure why you think Deku's a typical shonen protagonist, much less an ISEKAI protagonist. Dude is many things, but he's never been a whiny creepy smuglord that's found in standard Isekai fare.

If anything, it's Mineta who fits the bill as an Isekai character.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

deku is a very typical shonen protag

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He's a bit more prone to crying than the national average.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Isn’t this kind of an inversion of your typical isekai? Like Deku just wants to be a hero but he was born into an Earthlike world and what makes him “special” is actually an active detriment to his goals

I mean I guess he cries a lot but that’s kind of endearing way

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Isekai means inserted into a different world. So, it doesn't really enter the same genre at all.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Deku is a very calculating sort of person, which is a trait a lot of Isekai protagonists have.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Aurora posted:

deku is a very typical shonen protag

Not really. He's a very typical American superhero protagonist. A shy nerd like Deku is almost the opposite of characters like Naruto and Luffy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Deku is a very calculating sort of person, which is a trait a lot of Isekai protagonists have.
Deku is a massive loving nerd, it's just that he's a nerd about heroes and All-Might as opposed to idols or Star Trek or whatever. All-Might is also a pretty lousy mentor; he should have given Deku the Quirk like, at least a little while before the test.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Deku is a massive loving nerd, it's just that he's a nerd about heroes and All-Might as opposed to idols or Star Trek or whatever. All-Might is also a pretty lousy mentor; he should have given Deku the Quirk like, at least a little while before the test.

All-Might sometimes seems like he's almost as big a nerd as Deku. He has just had time to grow up around it a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Not really. He's a very typical American superhero protagonist. A shy nerd like Deku is almost the opposite of characters like Naruto and Luffy.

So you’re saying he’s gohan.

• Locked thread