Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
:siren: New blogpost is up for Let Thrones Beware

Today's topic: What the darn heck is Traumatic Fantasy, and why it's not grimdark gore bullshit stuffed with sexual peril and racism

Given that so much of Let Thrones Beware is already written, I'm transitioning my blog from focusing on new features to a more complete exploration of the game, it's themes, and what the mechanics are trying to achieve. This post represents a reboot of the blog - the end of result of which will be a front-to-back dissection of the 4e-inspired tactical game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ulisses Spiele (the ones behind the new edition of Torg) are publishing a 40k RPG, and the preview is presented as a comic that does a good job showing off the core systems.

http://www.ulisses-us.com/comic/wg-example-p1/

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Having the Eagle Ordinary guy do the comic was a nice touch. The system itself seems reasonable. I want to see it in action more, but it seems like it gives fairly decent chances of success for the target numbers given and the probabilities seem easy enough to gauge (you can expect an average of two icons for every three dice rolled). I like that they're going with a fail-forward philosophy.

It'll be interesting to see the full system.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm still mid-review over in F&F, but I was really impressed with how Ulisses Spiele handled the new edition of Torg, both in terms of updating the old mechanics and the overall presentation. So I'm pretty hopeful for this.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I'll be honest, after reading about how old school and stuck-in-the-mud The Dark Eye was in the F&F done, I wasn't expecting much. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ulisses Spiele (the ones behind the new edition of Torg) are publishing a 40k RPG, and the preview is presented as a comic that does a good job showing off the core systems.

http://www.ulisses-us.com/comic/wg-example-p1/

this is the most japanese TRPG thing and rules

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

I appreciate that it depicts a diverse and healthy group of friends having a good time, like most 40K fans, in contrast the pack of psychopaths that play Warmachine/Hordes and are undoubtedly Alt-Right.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Are they addressing the power level stuff since one of the PCs is a Smurf?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Plutonis posted:

They're using a Tier system.

http://www.ulisses-us.com/wrath-glory-designer-diary-december-2017/

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ah thank you. Yeah that might work.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, that's probably as good a balancing mechanic as you can get in a 40k game apart from just 'no mixed parties'. Like, yea in canon a space marine is a way higher 'level' than a commissar but I think for the purposes of an RPG it's fine to be fiddly enough to say 'alright well obviously any given smurf is the big dog to a group of guardsmen, but maybe a commissar would have more authority to handle somethings sometimes so we'll say they're both at the top tier'.

I'm loving running TORG for my group so they already have my interest.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plutonis posted:

He's a Raven Guard, not an Ultramarine :colbert:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bedlamdan posted:

I appreciate that it depicts a diverse and healthy group of friends having a good time, like most 40K fans, in contrast the pack of psychopaths that play Warmachine/Hordes and are undoubtedly Alt-Right.

Do you keep making these weird political takes in the thread because you're really hoping some warham nerd will tear into you and you'll finally be able to climax?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Do you keep making these weird political takes in the thread because you're really hoping some warham nerd will tear into you and you'll finally be able to climax?

When did I say anything bad about Warhams? Jesus christ.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Sorry, I forgot Warmachines is a different mini thing. Subtract that bit from my question.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Sorry, I forgot Warmachines is a different mini thing.

Oh, okay. It happens.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Anyway, is there any word on whether Wrath and Glory will allow for female Space Marines?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This level of dedication should be an inspiration to every DM.

Size comparison

Full view of the model

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

That looks loving cool as hell and everything talking about the actual fight sounds insufferable. I hope they had fun.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The model and the reveal are sure cool, but I don't think I could manage to keep track of a 5+ session boss fight.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I don't think I'd remain invested in a five session boss fight.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
As someone who fights with his boss every day, I

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That looks like the insanely lovely Metal Gear Survive final boss

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nuns with Guns posted:

The model and the reveal are sure cool, but I don't think I could manage to keep track of a 5+ session boss fight.
I'm currently on session 3 of my game's final boss fight, which may or may not be the last session. I have two google spreadsheets I use for monster stat blocks and roll20 for pretty much everything else, which makes it way easier to deal with than in person. Can't imagine trying to do this IRL.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Bedlamdan posted:

yo what the gently caress is this, is the WMH scene awful or something? I just bought a couple of battlegroups :(

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

food court bailiff posted:

yo what the gently caress is this, is the WMH scene awful or something? I just bought a couple of battlegroups :(

Bedlamdan is what you would call a Bad Poster, so you're fine.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He's the only person who bought me a birthday gift

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I assumed they were being sarcastic about how terrible Warhammer people are online and in game stores since it's a game with a huge fan base.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I assumed they were being sarcastic about how terrible Warhammer people are online and in game stores since it's a game with a huge fan base.

I did too until I saw their followup post, but now I think I'm ready to accept the conclusion

Mr. Maltose posted:

Bedlamdan is what you would call a Bad Poster, so you're fine.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Bedlamdan posted:

Anyway, is there any word on whether Wrath and Glory will allow for female Space Marines?

If there are no stat differences based on :biotruths:, what's stopping any players/GMs? Sure, GW will probably make it so that any text about Space Marines in Wrath and Glory remains true to their fluff (so in short, no).

But GW also says that most narrators in their stories are unreliable, so there's literally nothing stopping you from saying 'bam, female Space Marines are a Thing' in your game, and saying all existing text pointing to Space Marines being exclusively male is just part of the Imperial Myth pushed on low-tech patriarchal societies, which are more common throughout the galaxy and thus most existing material is geared towards that audience.

I mean, if WHFRP 2e says that ALL Brettonian Knights are male, it's just that a few of them are relatively/oddly clean-shaven with higher pitched voices (hint: women in disguise), why can't Space Marines be the same? I mean, don't let GW's stupidity stop you from ever doing something cool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That Old Tree posted:

That looks loving cool as hell and everything talking about the actual fight sounds insufferable. I hope they had fun.

That's on the system, not the DM.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Well, technically Larry "Sad Puppy, Buddy of Vox Day" Correia's part of the WMH fandom but I don't think that's what Bedlamdan meant.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

From a complete outsider's perspective, I hear that WH4K's community used to be pretty toxic but has gotten better recently. And the aesthetic and setting definitely appeals to fascists, for obvious reasons.

If someone has an Imperium of Man tattoo, for example, I would consider that a red flag.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

Well, technically Larry "Sad Puppy, Buddy of Vox Day" Correia's part of the WMH fandom but I don't think that's what Bedlamdan meant.

Who

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the general rule is the more seriously someone takes 40k the more likely they are to fall on the "fascism is good actually" side of the fence as opposed to the "black comedy/satire" side

the kind of person who would rageshit themselves over that how to play comic having cute comedic visual elements like the techpriest being frozen in ice or the chibi initiative heads is the kind of bad 40k fan you want nothing to do with

Basically what I'm saying is never trust anyone who doesn't like Orks and Squats

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 28, 2018

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

unseenlibrarian posted:

He wrote some fiction titles for WMH for those who aren't familiar with him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

Basically what I'm saying is never trust anyone who doesn't like Orks and Squats

Take me down to slam sector city where the grass is rocks and the girls are stocky.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Blockhouse posted:

the general rule is the more seriously someone takes 40k the more likely they are to fall on the "fascism is good actually" side of the fence as opposed to the "black comedy/satire" side

the kind of person who would rageshit themselves over that how to play comic having cute comedic visual elements like the techpriest being frozen in ice or the chibi initiative heads is the kind of bad 40k fan you want nothing to do with

IMO Warhammer consists entirely of
- Orks
- Squigs
- Targets

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Warhamemr lore is insanely stupid (said lovingly) but it should be played 100% serious in universe with no irony and winking towards the audience because it's funnier that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Plutonis posted:

Warhamemr lore is insanely stupid (said lovingly) but it should be played 100% serious in universe with no irony and winking towards the audience because it's funnier that way

That's not a good plan if you don't want nazis to love your game.