Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

King Vidiot posted:

Not sure it qualifies at all as an "early" FPS but since somebody brought it up, I got the whole FEAR series in a bundle or sale or something years ago and I've yet to play any of them. Are they all good, is there one to avoid?

Fear owns. I'd recommend playing through the f1 expansion packs right off cuz the gameplay in 2 & 3 are... different and you may not want to go back. Some people didn't like em iirc but I think they're fun (the exps that is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
Best part of Fear 3 was the song played during the closing credits.

edit - I did enjoy the game, though.

Severed fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 28, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

catlord posted:

I never had an issue with the SMG in HL2, but the game could probably use a mod that makes the weapons feel better in general.

I've rambled about it before in this thread, but I was really underwhelmed with the weapons in HL2. It felt like a significant step back from HL1 (and Opposing Force)--both in terms of variety and in the ever-ambiguous "gunfeel" department. I feel like the pulse rifle was a relatively interesting deviation: A somewhat powerful alien-looking weapon, equipped with an alternate fire-mode that wasn't a bog standard grenade launcher. The heavy thrum as the energy ball violently ricocheted around the area, vaporizing whatever it touched in the strangest way (didn't corpses float into the air as they dissolved into glowing light?)...it certainly gave me the impression that I had just unleashed some oddly potent weapon upon my enemies (and possibly myself).

Then there was the gravity gun, which was obviously a pretty novel weapon that's become as iconic to the franchise as the crowbar at this point. Launching toilets and saw blades at enemies took a while to get stale.

Outside of that, most of the weapons were just mediocre. Utilitarian, but lamely utilitarian and largely devoid of any real personality or oomph.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Love the pulse rifle’s sound effects. It’s pretty unusual for an automatic in an FPS to sound so good. That WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM noise is a real winner even ignoring the orbs.

Do not love its paltry ammo limit. Three clips? Come on.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

CJacobs posted:

FEAR 3 is the least good, but they're all fantastic shooters and also you can jump kick enemies in the face in slow motion

FEAR 3 lets me play as a psychic ghost who explodes people, and that makes up for a lot of shortcomings in my book.
Plus, there's the level in the Sam's Club that managed to be legit creepy even in co-op, so I have to give at least the first half of that level credit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

skasion posted:

Love the pulse rifle’s sound effects. It’s pretty unusual for an automatic in an FPS to sound so good. That WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM noise is a real winner even ignoring the orbs.

Do not love its paltry ammo limit. Three clips? Come on.

The pulse rifle sounds amazing, but I agree on the low ammo count. I wish SMOD still worked because it had a gigantic arsenal.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Good HL2 Weapon Words

The pulse rifle is good, yeah, and yeah, the ball fucks with their gravity so they float away as they dissolve, it's neat. It's been a while since I last played HL2, as I said, I don't remember having issues with the SMG, I remember it being a decent mid-range weapon and the grenades gave it some more oomph. The shotgun... I liked it, but I also almost always went secondary, the single shot felt weak, I think. The crossbow is just great fun. Honestly, I look back at the gravity gun, and it was fun sure but I don't love it, it kinda crowds out the crowbar and I'd rather the crowbar get a secondary like the pipe wrench in Opposing Force. Thinking about it, I very much agree that HL2's arsenal is very utilitarian, I think the pulse rifle, crossbow, and gravity gun are really the only ones that really stick out (the antlion pheromone thing would, but I hesitate to call it anything more than a gimmick).

I keep on thinking of HL2 with TNO's combat though and I wish that was a thing.

I also keep on thinking of "Jack Kirby's Duke Nukem," and while I don't know what that means, I want it.

Edit:

Arcsquad12 posted:

The pulse rifle sounds amazing, but I agree on the low ammo count. I wish SMOD still worked because it had a gigantic arsenal.

I know what you mean. There's a whole lot of SMOD versions and updates and a bunch of them are "updated" but I don't know what's updated for the latest versions, and there's just so much to try to pick through I don't know what to do.

There's this though? It says it's updated and was uploaded in October, so maybe?

catlord fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 28, 2018

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Half Life 2 could have really used Snarks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

site posted:

Fear owns. I'd recommend playing through the f1 expansion packs right off cuz the gameplay in 2 & 3 are... different and you may not want to go back. Some people didn't like em iirc but I think they're fun (the exps that is)

Yeah the FEAR 1 expansions were developed by a different studio, aren’t canon, and are basically just more levels of the same. Which really isn’t a bad thing, it’s just worth knowing that you’ll be getting the exact same gameplay so you can know if you want that. It’s like Final Doom in that respect.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Didn't Fear 3 have a game mode called "loving RUN" or something like that? I remember that sounded entertaining.

Also, to the person saying the Sam's Club level felt effectively creepy even in co-op: yeah, that's what happens when John Fuckin' Carpenter consults on your horror game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Making the HL2 SMG slightly more powerful, and adding more bass to the sound of it would've helped a lot.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Didn't Fear 3 have a game mode called "loving RUN" or something like that? I remember that sounded entertaining.

Also, to the person saying the Sam's Club level felt effectively creepy even in co-op: yeah, that's what happens when John Fuckin' Carpenter consults on your horror game.

Yeah, I think FEAR Online copied it, but poorly (like all of FEAR Online). You have this big-rear end death wall behind you and you and your buddies gotta get out while enemies try to slow you down. Never been much into multiplayer, but it seemed like it'd be pretty fun.

And yeah, FEAR 3 had John Carpenter helping out, mostly with directing the cinematics I believe. He's a big fan of video games. Also Steve Niles wrote the story, which is probably why it goes all to poo poo at the end, the man can't end a story to save his life.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

FEAR 3 had procedural jump scares.

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

treat posted:

Both games are jokes, so the recommendation seems fair to me.

Shower With Your Dad Simulator is not a joke

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There are varying opinions on how well the FEAR follow-ups compare to the first one, but almost everyone agrees the first one is the best, as far as I know. Opinions also vary on whether it's a fully great game or a messy game with great gunplay. But basically everyone agrees on the great gunplay.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
There's F.E.A.R. which is an amazing game and it's expansions of varying quality. And then there are FEAR 2 and 3 which are forgettable garbage.

Vakal posted:

Half Life 2 could have really used Snarks.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ion Maiden has been announced (despite it being known about for a dogs age beforehand) and immediately given an Early Access release with a "preview campaign" that I'm told consists of about five connected maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcAwzusZUrQ

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Ion Maiden has been announced (despite it being known about for a dogs age beforehand) and immediately given an Early Access release with a "preview campaign" that I'm told consists of about five connected maps.

Oh my god, it's beautiful.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

haveblue posted:

The game does care for the first mission- the quartermaster will deliver different rewards and praise/admonition if you go lethal or nonlethal. It stops caring after that, though.
Oh yeah, forgot about that part! It's probably why I tried to force a nonlethal approach in the first place. Took a while but I finally started shooting once the lines of good/evil were more clearly drawn in the story.

Gobblecoque posted:

You could always just play the unmodded version and find out. Having an excuse to play more Deus Ex is never a bad thing.

site posted:

You used an overhaul mod your first time playing without knowing what it did?

Shadow Hog posted:

I mean, my first playthrough of Deus Ex was with Shifter installed, so :shrug:

I forget who recommended installing that though. (And even then, while Shifter changes EXP gain in debatably-good-or-bad ways, it doesn't completely redo the level design like Revision does.)
I'll have to mess around a little bit just to see what the unmodded version is like at least. Basically Revision came out right after I was gifted the original, and my good-ish laptop was able to run it, so I figured hey let's do this!

haveblue posted:

I'm mostly curious about the changes to the ending. "Really allowed your actions to influence which path the ending took" is very much unlike the original game, which is almost literally the same push button get cutscene choice as ME3 (except there are several buttons per ending instead of 1 and they're more widely separated).
I may have oversold it somewhat. It basically works the way you described. When I said "your actions" I meant "your actions in the final mission." Still pretty cool though! Especially I'd imagine in 2000. Is there anything earlier in the game that gives access to less or more ending options?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Kins posted:

on one hand the first thought I had after that trailer was "mite b cool"

on the other that "preview campaign" stuff sounds shady as gently caress, at least DUSK was doing it as a sort of callback to the shareware days and providing an entire third of the game

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It says it's going to be tracker music so I'll probably end up buying it even if the game is bad.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Ha ha, nice. Ha ha, I've got a present for you.

Looks kinda good, I think?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
preview game is completely separate from the main game and the main game is out later in the year, which im assuming is a full 3 episode type affair.

preview game is only 34mb too lol. gonna go play.

edit: well i was, its missing the .exe

edit2: they are fixing it right now. kinda reminds me of the good old days when my cd drive wouldn't read the duke 3d disc and i had to wait until the morning to get a replacement when the shop opened and i had to take 2 buses to get there fuckinghellisshit

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 28, 2018

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
couple of hands on vids uploaded, who seem to have the .exe. bastards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIXA5sEEPEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oRDgts3uTs

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
“New engine improvements such as crosshairs and gravity.”

What are you talking about dude.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Dunno what you guys are complaining about, poo poo looks rad. I'm glad they decided to expand that short promotional Build engine Bombshell thing into a full 7(!) episode game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

they fixed the steam issue. poo poo is fun as hell and hard as hell. i'm on the 2nd difficulty so maybe its just me, its been awhile.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

King Vidiot posted:

Dunno what you guys are complaining about, poo poo looks rad. I'm glad they decided to expand that short promotional Build engine Bombshell thing into a full 7(!) episode game.

I mostly just get skittish when there are "preview campaigns" for early access stuff since i've seen it used a lot by shady developers and publishers. Its good to hear that it was a preexisting thing though since that makes it way less shady.

Edit: On a related note its kind of amazing that the build engine looks as good as it does with modern textures and resolution. I wonder if any more games that come out of this 90s twitch shooter renaissance will use it because of that?

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 28, 2018

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ho hum, I thought, clicking on the Ion Maiden trailer. Wait, is that a build engine game? Like, it actually looks like a build engine game. Let's see if the FPS thread has heard of this thing.

This looks cool. Awaiting your reports.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

How many?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I finished the Ion Maiden demo preview thing in 75 minutes and I only got 9 out of 33 secrets. It plays just like a build engine shooter. Only real flaws are no working mirrors in the rest rooms, not many enemy types (in the preview anyway), and there's no mighty boot equivalent so you have to use ammo to break open things unless you wanna swap to the melee thing.

Shelly has quips like Duke does but she rarely talks about things you can go up and use like Duke did. I can only think of one instance where she has a special dialog when you press the use key on a decoration.

So yeah, if you like Duke 3D this is pretty much that. I hope the full game adds more enemy types and I hope the other weapons are interesting. It's good so far!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Some of these secrets are stupidly well hidden. I've still 11 to get on the first map

It's really fun and pretty and I hope that the full game lives up to this promise. Hopefully Shelly will have more to say.

Edit: I like how when you wear different body armor the collar on your portrait changes

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 1, 2018

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Two Owls posted:

How many?

haha yeah, i missed a fuckton too. replaying it and im noticing all kinds of crazy climbing locations and switch/door tricks.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I can't seem to get inside the Black Lodge

I also can't figure out what to do with the fire escape across from the GDF building. The switch up there just turns off some lights?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Got 20/33 secrets on first playthroug. Spent a lot of time. Doing another playthrough on skill 3 and so far it's still good and fair.

The grenade only mode is pretty fun since you get loads of grenades at the beginning.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

I mostly just get skittish when there are "preview campaigns" for early access stuff since i've seen it used a lot by shady developers and publishers. Its good to hear that it was a preexisting thing though since that makes it way less shady.

Back in the day "preview campaigns" were called "demos". Remember Half-Life: Uplink?

Minidust posted:

I'll have to mess around a little bit just to see what the unmodded version is like at least. Basically Revision came out right after I was gifted the original, and my good-ish laptop was able to run it, so I figured hey let's do this!
I may have oversold it somewhat. It basically works the way you described. When I said "your actions" I meant "your actions in the final mission." Still pretty cool though! Especially I'd imagine in 2000. Is there anything earlier in the game that gives access to less or more ending options?

You'll get different messages from people as you proceed through the final level based on your actions earlier (and who is still alive), but the choice of three endings (blow up area 51 and destroy civilization, kill Page and take over the Illuminati, or upload yourself and merge with Helios) is always the same.

Also, it may be functionally equivalent to the ME3/DXHR "three-button ending", but I do like it a great deal more; having a huge, sprawling level with a bunch of (some contradictory, some not) objectives that each lead you towards a different ending is a lot more interesting than having a linear level that plays out exactly the same every time ending in "please select your ending from this menu".

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think I'm like the only person who liked Invisible War.

It has a bunch of great ideas implemented terribly, but it kept me entertained and fascinated all the way through.

I tried to play the new games and gave up two levels in because I had to somehow use items like a goddamn chocolate bar to recharge my basic "knock a dude out" move. Laaaaame.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Narcissus1916 posted:

It has a bunch of great ideas implemented terribly, but it kept me entertained and fascinated all the way through.

I tried to play the new games and gave up two levels in because I had to somehow use items like a goddamn chocolate bar to recharge my basic "knock a dude out" move. Laaaaame.

You weren't the only person, especially if you enjoyed loving around with everything.

I wouldn't play it unmodded now though. The game runs all trash on modern systems now and I'd rather have it modded so that it runs well at the very least.

I've been trying to run Human Revolution on Win10 but nothing has worked for me so far, so I just went to the most recent version instead.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Narcissus1916 posted:

Nah Invisible War had its charms, just too much was sacrificed for the multi platform support it wanted.

Its not a bad game, its a bad deus ex squeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
IW is definitely a bad game but it's okay to enjoy a bad game.