Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT

monitors are in kinda a weird place right now where you can get 144hz or 4K or HDR or a curved screen or whatever, but to get them all on the same monitor is $$$$+

144hz isn't worth it at all unless you game, and fast paced games at that. I tried one out for a few days but it wasn't super noticeable with the kinds of games I play on a regular basis

I also tried out a 4K monitor and that's definitely noticeable but again its one of those things that kinda varies. If you don't scale the UI then everything is going to be super tiny, and if you do scale the UI some apps don't do it cleanly and look kinda bad. Chrome and iTunes looked fine but Steam didn't scale properly and looked bad, like worse than it does on a normal monitor bad. You need a pretty hefty video card to play AAA titles at 4k. 4K makes text look awesome.

HDR and curved screen I've never tried and don't really know too much about how they work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Lizard Wizard posted:

i've got a big ol tax return coming, should i get an HDR monitor? renovation is happening soon and will likely result in a new desk with room for a second monitor, so it's kinda been on my mind lately.

i really read this as "revolution is happening soon and will likely result in a new desk" and i was like hell ya comrade until i realised it was a renovation and welp

all excited for no good god damned reason

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

MY DUDE you are back and i appreciate the ever loving poo poo out of you okay

Scaly Haylie

Jaded Burnout posted:

My suggestion would be to not do half measures. That is to say, it's not worth buying fancy features unless you can get *all* the fancy features (4k, HDR, 144hz, maybe 21:9). If you can't (which is what it sounds like and is totally understandable because these things are v expensive) then I would suggest not worrying about HDR and getting a nice 16:9 LED-lit IPS panel at 2560x1440. That should give you some good visuals without breaking your finances.

Perhaps something off this list: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100160979%20600557170%20600030620%20600107132%204018%204019

Edit: but it is your money and it is unchill of me to be pushy, sorry.

Nono, it's fine! I appreciate it, actually, especially since it turns out my card doesn't even support HDR - I didn't even know that was a cutting-edge feature anymore.

That said, jesus 144hz costs some dollars

funmanguy

What time is it?
I am in the process of disassembling my desk at work. The guy before me wanted to hide so he built a desk-fortress so he wouldnt have to see or speak to people. I happen to like people so the ramparts must come down

Jaded Burnout

funmanguy, tear down this cube

take the moon

by sebmojo
a fort castle desk would Be the best though

DavidAlltheTime

All David...all the TIME!
Q: Which is the most rhythmic onion?

A: Rapscallion.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

DavidAlltheTime posted:

420/69

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

spectres of autism posted:

a fort castle desk would Be the best though
A fart castle desk?! Oh, no. :(

punchymcpunch

DavidAlltheTime posted:

hehe

Manifisto

ty nesamdoom!

Jaded Burnout

Jaded Burnout posted:

Despite a week of changing things out and adjusting humidity and all sorts of things my rats are still sneezing so I gotta take them to the vet.

Breaks my heart every time they sneeze and I can't do anything about it, the poor bearns.

I took 'em to the vet. Suspect myco flareup. I have the tiniest tube of ratibiotics and an even tinier syringe to measure it out with.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Jaded Burnout posted:

I took 'em to the vet. Suspect myco flareup. I have the tiniest tube of ratibiotics and an even tinier syringe to measure it out with.

Good for you for trying to get your furry friends healthy.

UWBW

Permanently banned from the Alamo

Jaded Burnout posted:

Keep them safe :ohdear:

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig, and Koishi for the last one. TVsVeryOwn made the CyberMike.

Jaded Burnout

UWBW posted:

Keep them safe :ohdear:

It's OK we caught it early and it's a very common rat issue. I'll get 'em they meds and we'll see how they go. Right now they're back home and sleeping.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
These are the cities I visit frequently for work:

Dayton OH
Cincinnati OH
Toledo OH
Louisville KY
South Bend IN
Grand Rapids MI

If anyone lives near these cities, let me know, and maybe we can meet up

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

blaise rascal posted:

These are the cities I visit frequently for work:

Dayton OH
Cincinnati OH
Toledo OH
Louisville KY
South Bend IN
Grand Rapids MI

If anyone lives near these cities, let me know, and maybe we can meet up

come to st louis and i'll buy you strange donuts.

i'm allergic to ohio and only go there once in a while.

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

hamjobs posted:

come to st louis and i'll buy you strange donuts.

i'm allergic to ohio and only go there once in a while.

Please tell us more about the strange donuts.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Barking Gecko posted:

My old drama teacher posts donut pics every Saturday and sometimes they have stuff like potato chips on them. That's kinda weird.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Barking Gecko posted:

my friends please feast your eyes upon this terrible website that is full of horrors: http://www.strangedonuts.com/

every day, you can get regular ol' amazing donuts for $1 or $2 each there--huge, head-sized, regular ol' donuts.

but then, every weekend, for $5, you can get THE STRANGER. it's whatever the gently caress they come up with, once a week, made fresh thursday, friday, saturday, and sunday, until they run out every day. they're open until midnight and i hear are considering going 24 hours--which, while it will never replace the glory that is Old Town Donuts, it will be magical because sometimes i get extremely :420: and walk down to get several donuts and then wake up excited because high-me was a responsible donut buying adult.

here is a photograph of a former stranger held by bf, titled "the mint chocolate brownie deluxe cagematch":

it's a double decker mint chocolate chip cake donut sandwich-filled with brownie batter ganache, andes candies, housemade mint fudge, and covered in mint fudge icing. and more andes.

it was ridiculous.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

TVsVeryOwn posted:

My old drama teacher posts donut pics every Saturday and sometimes they have stuff like potato chips on them. That's kinda weird.

no, it's Strange, Kinda Weird Donuts is in Illinois and we don't speak of Illinois.

Koishi Komeiji

How dare he talk ill of the Sony corporation! Someone shut that maniac down, he's out of control! :argh:

Jaded Burnout

hamjobs posted:

it's a double decker mint chocolate chip cake donut sandwich-filled with brownie batter ganache, andes candies, housemade mint fudge, and covered in mint fudge icing. and more andes.

I think it's because I've been under intense stress today but this actually made me misty-eyed. Mint chocolate is my favourite thing ever.

Are they dry though? Or nice?

alnilam

The phrase "iambic pentameter" is in dactylic meter.... makes u think.......

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

alnilam posted:

The phrase "iambic pentameter" is in dactylic meter.... makes u think.......

Sorry, but I'm still thinking about the mint chocolate brownie deluxe cagematch.

funmanguy

What time is it?
I removed the Great Wall Of IT around my desk. Now I can see the people I work with. :)

Robot Made of Meat

funmanguy posted:

I removed the Great Wall Of IT around my desk. Now I can see the people I work with. :)

Eek!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

funmanguy posted:

Your co-workers are fortunate to have you on their team :)

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

funmanguy posted:

I'm glad you stood up to the scary clown

Thanks to HotSoapyBeard for the sig image!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Olive! posted:

I'm glad you stood up to the scary clown

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
Any one know how we can get the byob reggae song on spotify? I'd like to add it to my playlist

Scaly Haylie

i have glasses again after two and a half weeks. seeing far away objects rules.

cda

by Hand Knit
It is really nice to come post in BYOB.

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

cda posted:

It is really nice to come post in BYOB.

thats kinda badass

Papa Was A Video Toaster

I was thinking about taking my cyberpunk game to the big league (GBS), but then I read a Lowtax thread where everybody was making GBS threads on fake VHS effects. That place sucks. Post in my thrad!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I was thinking about taking my cyberpunk game to the big league (GBS), but then I read a Lowtax thread where everybody was making GBS threads on fake VHS effects. That place sucks. Post in my thrad!

At least it wasn't in coupons and deals, those h*ckb*tts would ask for a discount on fake VHS effects

BoldFrankensteinMir

Hey friends. Does anybody have any particularly funny threads around the forums they can't help but think should be featured in a comedy goldmine front page update? I ask because someone is helping Lowtax rebuild the front page and could use more eyes and ears...

Papa Was A Video Toaster

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Hey friends. Does anybody have any particularly funny threads around the forums they can't help but think should be featured in a comedy goldmine front page update? I ask because someone is helping Lowtax rebuild the front page and could use more eyes and ears...

The zaurg thread has been a source of constant entertainment for me since it was revealed he bought Bitcoin, but I'm not sure how much of the schadenfreude can easily be summarized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

If you have Lowtax' ear, I'd strongly suggest making one day a week a "Throwback" day (Throwback Thursday works nicely, but whatever). SA has ten thousand REALLY good front page articles in the vault, and it'd be a way to put seemingly-fresh content up there one day a week.

Of course that means someone has to come up with the other 4 days, but it's better than no updates.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!