Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

Those 420 Smoke Erry Day guys seem hard to use, the jet's constraints on attacking and the artillery guy's awkward smoke placement leaves me confounded. :(

Mostly you don't use the artillery's smoke, you just shoot chumps with him. On the back row, he can strip vek away from the other side of buildings.
But in a pinch you can walk up to someone and then shoot away from them to stop an attack, and if you can get your Artillery BETWEEN two units, you're golden. Eventually he's doing four damage a shot, and at that point it almost doesn't matter what added effects you have.

I dunno what's hard to use about the jet, he works great, turns things off, and is generally amazing. Upgrade him to extra range to make him even better.

The pusher's super awful though, especially if you accidentally kept some rando +3 grid def generic pilot instead of Harold Schmidt at the end of a mission. :(

e: Schmiiiiidt! Come back!

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
judo team is great when you can move dudes around to kill each other, but that often isn't possible and they kind of suck at killing anything otherwise.

maybe the problem is that i'm playing on easy, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 28, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mystic Mongol posted:

Mostly you don't use the artillery's smoke, you just shoot chumps with him. On the back row, he can strip vek away from the other side of buildings.
But in a pinch you can walk up to someone and then shoot away from them to stop an attack, and if you can get your Artillery BETWEEN two units, you're golden. Eventually he's doing four damage a shot, and at that point it almost doesn't matter what added effects you have.

I dunno what's hard to use about the jet, he works great, turns things off, and is generally amazing. Upgrade him to extra range to make him even better.

The pusher's super awful though, especially if you accidentally kept some rando +3 grid def generic pilot instead of Harold Schmidt at the end of a mission. :(

I had that guy on the... uh, the mech whose default weapon is to dash, ram for 2 damage and knock back, and take 1 self damage, the synergy was fascinatingly good

Plus it amuses me that a guy can be so loving furious while wrenching that all nearby units stagger back in horror :v:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Oovee posted:

rift wanker

Hahahah.

I like the game, I really do. I just feel like the lack of "story" is going to hinder how many times I replay the game. Each go through of FTL was an adventure and I know it isn't fair to compare the two games, but that's what I have going around in my head right now.

I feel like the fire squad has the potential to be phenomenal, but I'll be hosed if I can figure them out. The wee "swap-bot" seems like the key, but I'll be playing with the other squad for now.

Might try and do a run with all Vape-Jets.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What the hell, the deployed robots are enemies? What sense does that make? Why am I even protecting these stupid robot factories?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Argue posted:

What the hell, the deployed robots are enemies? What sense does that make? Why am I even protecting these stupid robot factories?

They're misguided sentient robots. They matter as much as humans do, you monster.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a story for you 'beat it first try' losers. :smuggo:. I played a few games on normal and managed to reliably get to the second island. After that I switched to easy and beat the first and second island, and then died with 2 turns left on the final boss battle. Clearly, as Revali says in Breath of the wild, "you cunts are lucky". It's definitely not a lack of skill on my part.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Mystic Mongol posted:

This is what I thought about the pushing mech too, but with some upgrades it's actually insanely good. Being able to shield every turn is incredible. You can just park the guy on top of spawn points all day and never worry about damage. It gets even better with the shield ally upgrade, you can run up to a building, then shield both it and the mech to tank 2 shots at once. Plus this is all on top of being able to push Vek into pits and so on.

What's everyone's most hated unit? I think mine is the big burrowing dudes. Although the guys who make rock barriers are a pain in the rear end too.

Blisster fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 28, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Discovered that Abe is really good as a starter for the Zenith Guard Squad. If you put him on the charger, it negates the self damage from the charge.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Almost finished with a 3x punch robot run for the achievement. It's probably one of the easiest with their damage and mobility once upgraded. Also quite fun having your murder robot squad flying around punching bugs into mountains

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Honestly I hate plain old scorpions the worst, stealing my precious upgraded movement.

Had a reasonable start as the Rift Breakers, though I never beat the second island. Kind of a rough time as Blitzkrieg, I eked out my first win, but the lightning chaining to your own guys is just so painful. Once, I just used a train to conduct the electricity, I lost a star but killed like four bugs in one action. I'm rolling through the fourth island with team Smokey Lads at the moment, they're a ton of fun, a mobile 4-damage artillery is basically a delete key, and it costs surprisingly little energy to make the pusher just puke shields in every direction.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Wow that passive that repairs all mechs together is pretty insane, makes blocking easy and you're still free to attack with some

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Blisster posted:

What's everyone's most hated unit? I think mine is the big burrowing dudes. Although the guys who make rock barriers are a pain in the rear end too.

loving Centipedes: Firefly's "fly until it hits a target" range but it hits three tiles, leaves A.C.I.D. (though that's not exactly bad) and has way too much health. Hate them with a passion.

At least the burrowing worms will stop being a problem that turn when you hit them.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Huh, in my game that guy was called Harvey. I wonder if there's some randomization of names. He owned bones in the Flamethrower team's science bot though: teleporting idiots into water (or the boss's attack) or just pushing them into mountains/each other to kill them with his repair skill. He basically turns any unit into the Rust Bucket's push-bot and he's a champ in any science vehicle since they tend to be nimble.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Blocking has one huge cost, though.

You don't get XP for murderin'! Get back to murderin', you lazy bum!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do pilots earn XP for anything besides kills?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Alkydere posted:

loving Centipedes: Firefly's "fly until it hits a target" range but it hits three tiles, leaves A.C.I.D. (though that's not exactly bad) and has way too much health. Hate them with a passion.

At least the burrowing worms will stop being a problem that turn when you hit them.

Huh, in my game that guy was called Harvey. I wonder if there's some randomization of names. He owned bones in the Flamethrower team's science bot though: teleporting idiots into water (or the boss's attack) or just pushing them into mountains/each other to kill them with his repair skill. He basically turns any unit into the Rust Bucket's push-bot and he's a champ in any science vehicle since they tend to be nimble.

Schmidt was my very first unlocked pilot and did a ton of work for me. I think my MVP so far is Archimedes though, the dude who lets your mech move a second time after shooting - he helped secure me my first win by piloting, well,

quote:

the Rust Bucket's push-bot

because it turns out being able to plonk a shielded mech darn near anywhere after running in to push people around is nuts

Really Pants posted:

Do pilots earn XP for anything besides kills?

Nope! Although 'passive' environmental kills (ie you didn't just push someone into the water directly) divide their xp between pilots to at least some degree depending.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 28, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Two successful Normal runs out of about 7 total runs so far. First win was a two island with fire team, second win was a three island with the blitzkrieg. I unlocked the Hazardous team and holy jesus god their gimmick is hilariously awful. I'm not sure who I'm going to go for the four island clear with.

The massive disparity in how I approached fights with the fire team(slow and attrition based with tons of positional manipulation) and the blitzkrieg(every map is like a game of tetris except instead of lining up a tetris i'm lining up chains for the lightning mech to murder) speaks well for the longevity of the game.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 28, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Does fire damage buildings?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I just don't get the Hazard mecha. I mean I get what their gimmick is theoretically supposed to be but it just seems awful.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Nope! Although 'passive' environmental kills (ie you didn't just push someone into the water directly) divide their xp between pilots to at least some degree depending.

Boss kills are always 6 XP (spread squad wide if it's environmental) and self kills are 5 XP. It's very worth it to manipulate beetles into throwing themselves into water.

Fangz posted:

Does fire damage buildings?

Nope.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If I'm rolling with the Rusted Hulks and my rocket artillery farts on a building, will that damage it?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Really Pants posted:

If I'm rolling with the Rusted Hulks and my rocket artillery farts on a building, will that damage it?

Nope. Buildings are immune to environmental hazards. it will sit there on the tile but be worthless because the tile is impassable anyways until/unless the building gets demolished.

Aviron
Oct 6, 2011

Really Pants posted:

No, the electric smoke will only affect enemy units.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Okay this is getting silly

On this map the hole is a bug spawner. Yet here I am with the chain-whip mech. Zap. Zap. Zap.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Man this game has its hooks in me bad. Started playing at 8:30 last night, looked up at the clock five minutes later and it was 11:30

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

What should I be thinking about on deployment?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

Artillery are usually ideally placed wherever the most space for it to go up and down the row and rain death since they can hit the entire map. There's some exception (Frost Titans artillery is a wonderful blocker since it self-freezes).

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Okay is it me or is the Zenith Guard squad fuckin' awful? The Rustmans are godly and I don't really have anyone else unlocked yet.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aviron posted:

No, the electric smoke will only affect enemy units.

It doesn't damage your mechs, either? Sweet.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Okay is it me or is the Zenith Guard squad fuckin' awful? The Rustmans are godly and I don't really have anyone else unlocked yet.

Zenith has been my favorite so far. Their shield bot is crazy and the lazer mech is a murder-beast.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I guess I'll just have to git gud.

So shield blocks an attack no matter the damage, but will it protect my mech from exploding on a mine or getting struck by lightning?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Really Pants posted:

It doesn't damage your mechs, either? Sweet.

it doesn't damage them but they can't attack while it it, as normal

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Zenith takes some time to get going for me -- rammer bot needs some health and science bot needs some upgrades. It leans hard on laser bot at first. After the first island though, it's a vek-murderin' orgy

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Captain Foo posted:

Where the Vek are, what they might target, and where you might need to be able to reach in those cases. If webbing units are on the board, especially leapers, consider whether your placement leaves you open to being webbed and wether you can deal with that or not. In some cases, the map layout is such that you can bottleneck fast movers (like the fliers) from being able to run in and threaten back line cities. Similarly, the beetles that make boulders around them are significantly easier to deal with if you can set yourself up to be next to them when they attack.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

So shield blocks an attack no matter the damage, but will it protect my mech from exploding on a mine or getting struck by lightning?
Someone else posted it does not block lightning. I imagine mines would be the same.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

btw if you beat island completing all the objectives you will get to choose a reward from 3 random things for free. + its a achievement

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

judo team is great when you can move dudes around to kill each other, but that often isn't possible and they kind of suck at killing anything otherwise.

maybe the problem is that i'm playing on easy, though.

If there are no enemy robots nearby, you have three perfectly good friendly robots you can smash the enemy into.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dark Off posted:

btw if you beat island completing all the objectives you will get to choose a reward from 3 random things for free. + its a achievement

When you say "all objectives" does this just mean all the objectives in the areas you played, or is there a way to not lose three areas when the Vex attack the HQ

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

Zenith takes some time to get going for me -- rammer bot needs some health and science bot needs some upgrades. It leans hard on laser bot at first. After the first island though, it's a vek-murderin' orgy

That was my view as well. Zenith is less about manipulation and more about simply clearing the Vek off the board while also mitigating damage with the shield-bot. Early on especially you'll want to shield your tank to avoid self damage, but also keep in mind that the shield can be dropped on allied buildings in a pinch. Getting either the extra use/map or the added AOE will do wonders. Don't forget it can pull too which is great for pulling unwanted bugs into the water.

For the charger...more HP. Just, more HP. HP buffing pilots, buy the HP upgrade with a core...if you can get a source of armor it becomes immune to itself.

And always be zapping with Lazor Mech. Just keep clearing the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

IcePhoenix posted:

When you say "all objectives" does this just mean all the objectives in the areas you played, or is there a way to not lose three areas when the Vex attack the HQ

Just the ones you play.