Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Frobbe posted:

The most glorious 80es american tank force! I roped a friend into Team yankee and he went ahead and did his americans like this.

https://company-b-models-and-miniatures.myshopify.com/collections/pop-culture-decals/products/afv-decal-gi-joe

Please send your friend this link, they're sized for 28mm Infantry but I bet they'd work fine on 15mm vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
actually having looked at it more he needs to make all the barrels gaudy orange so everyone can see it's a toy

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

spectralent posted:

actually having looked at it more he needs to make all the barrels gaudy orange so everyone can see it's a toy

I don't think he'll go that lenght. but man it's a sight to be hold.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Is it done, or will he pick out details?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Grey Hunter posted:

Battlefront only care about tanks. If the NVA used a single tank during the entire war, then you need to have 50 of them in a normal game.

I actually like the v3 veitnam game. As long as you avoid the tanks its an interesting asymmetrical clash.

Agreed, yes. I really enjoyed v3 Vietnam, it was the most fun I had with FoW. And no, I didn't use any T-55s.

I broke down and got a copy of the new 'Nam book. I'm pretty happy with it - they didn't screw it up as much as they did WWII v4.

The inclusion of hordes of T-54s is pretty silly, to be sure. I suppose you could rationalize it as "Easter Offensive" or something, but it's just Battlefront's love of tanks. I'll stick with my NVA infantry.

That said - you could take a US force of tanks or mech infantry, M-48s and M-113s. The take an opposing force of a horde of T-55s backed by infantry in BTR-50s. (All of this is doable in the v3 Tour of Duty or v4 Nam rules.) Use "counts as" terrain left over from your WWII in Europe games. There you go, you've got a pretty decent Cold War Gone Hot in the early 60's, like the Berlin Crisis or the Cuban Missile Crisis gone wrong.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I think one of the weirdest things to me is that they include NVA tanks, including T-34s, which you can argue is for completeness or because they love tanks too much or whatever, but there's no M24.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Cross posting from the oath thread.

Now to start of the Regulars! I just got me Hessians, Militia and cannons....

These have been fun to paint, but looking at them, there is no way I'd use 28mm in anything bigger than a skirmish game. for Sharp Practice they are perfect, but for anything trying to resemble a proper battle, I'm keeping to the smaller scales.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Grey Hunter posted:

Cross posting from the oath thread.

Now to start of the Regulars! I just got me Hessians, Militia and cannons....

These have been fun to paint, but looking at them, there is no way I'd use 28mm in anything bigger than a skirmish game. for Sharp Practice they are perfect, but for anything trying to resemble a proper battle, I'm keeping to the smaller scales.

Nice! Yeah, I agree that it's a perfect fit for Sharp Practice sized games. This way I can paint up 24-32 men of a specific type, and then jump to next, without slugging through hundreds of line infantrymen.

Not to say that I'll probably end up with hundreds of line infantry, but it's entirely my own fault, not something that I'm pushed into by the rules.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Was there a NATO winter scheme that went with or was to be used instead of NATO three-colour, or was that a "just whitewash whatever" type thing?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

spectralent posted:

Was there a NATO winter scheme that went with or was to be used instead of NATO three-colour, or was that a "just whitewash whatever" type thing?

Not that I saw.

Keep in mind that NATO 3-color uses "CARC" paint, which is nasty stuff. It's supposed to help keep chemical weapons from sticking to the vehicles. It has an odd finish, almost like a charcoal or a very fine sandpaper. It's highly toxic, so if you want to paint it on you're supposed to wear a special hazmat suit and mask. Also, if you paint over it, it's hard to get the other paint off. (Remind me to tell you about "Santa Track" someday.)

I understand that this would be ignored in wartime, but the upshot of it is that in peacetime vehicles didn't get repainted for different seasons. As a result, we never saw "winter" paint schemes, if there even was such a thing.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cessna posted:

Not that I saw.

Keep in mind that NATO 3-color uses "CARC" paint, which is nasty stuff. It's supposed to help keep chemical weapons from sticking to the vehicles. It has an odd finish, almost like a charcoal or a very fine sandpaper. It's highly toxic, so if you want to paint it on you're supposed to wear a special hazmat suit and mask. Also, if you paint over it, it's hard to get the other paint off. (Remind me to tell you about "Santa Track" someday.)

I understand that this would be ignored in wartime, but the upshot of it is that in peacetime vehicles didn't get repainted for different seasons. As a result, we never saw "winter" paint schemes, if there even was such a thing.

Excellent, ta. For TY and other CWGH stuff I'm probably in pretty safe territory improvising then.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

spectralent posted:

Excellent, ta. For TY and other CWGH stuff I'm probably in pretty safe territory improvising then.

I strongly suspect you would have seen a lot of "break out a few cans of white spraypaint" camouflage.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

https://twitter.com/toofatlardies/status/968527642445209601

:eyepop:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Brb, changing my underwear

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Tanks! alternative we need and deserve

https://twitter.com/TooFatLardies/status/968568989667479554

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 28, 2018

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Be still my beating heart

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

They deliberately went for "What a wanker" with that, didn't they?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh hell yes. :parrot:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

JcDent posted:

They deliberately went for "What a wanker" with that, didn't they?
How could you think that the publishers of TWaT, Algernon Pulls It Off, and CoC (with its Big CoC expansion) would ever stoop to such levels?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yay! I really liked the concept of Tanks! but didn't want to give more money to BF.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

There's a computer wargame on sale that's also got rules for Fields of Glory Reinissance, are those rules any good?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Wait did TFL ever even release Fighting Season?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Nope. It seems to have dropped off the radar completely.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I read on some message board, so super unverifiable info, that when the middle east started getting more clusterfuck-y again they felt it was less appropriate and put it on the backburner.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
So, I just ordered the rules, the Deluge supplement and the Imperial skirmish set for By Fire and Sword. There is a local group that plays it and I find the era interesting. Have you played it and did you like it? How fast does it play on skirmish level?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
They addressed it in their podcast, said they couldn't get it working right.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hello, thread. I've dabbled in assembling model kits before, and I was thinking about taking it up again, first to learn how to paint them, but also with an eye towards wargaming. I went down to the hobby store earlier today and the smallest tanks/vehicles I could find where 1/72 scale, with the owner looking at me like I was crazy when I asked about 1/100.

I did also find some 1/35 scale soldier sets, and my quick googling on the internet says there are man-to-man rules that support those, such as something called Nuts! by Two Hour Wargames.

So my question is, what can I play if my only selection of models are these relatively large (and AFAIK mostly Japanese-branded, like Tamiya) plastic model kits?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hello, thread. I've dabbled in assembling model kits before, and I was thinking about taking it up again, first to learn how to paint them, but also with an eye towards wargaming. I went down to the hobby store earlier today and the smallest tanks/vehicles I could find where 1/72 scale, with the owner looking at me like I was crazy when I asked about 1/100.

I did also find some 1/35 scale soldier sets, and my quick googling on the internet says there are man-to-man rules that support those, such as something called Nuts! by Two Hour Wargames.

So my question is, what can I play if my only selection of models are these relatively large (and AFAIK mostly Japanese-branded, like Tamiya) plastic model kits?

The “Normandy Firefight” rules were designed for 1/35 figures. You can get them from North Star figures in the UK, maybe there’s also a US stockist?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

1/72 is more or less 20mm scale, should be quite a few options. PSC's Battlegroup game is made for both 15mm and 1/72 f.ex, as they make many kits in both scales.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

There's an absolute poo poo load of cheap plastic 1/72 mans. You could probably just use 15mm rules with them tbh.

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Index.aspx

May be relevant to you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Or just buy online. 1/100 is really common. TBH I'm surprised tgat you local doesn't have at least some Zvezda kits in that scale.

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

Ataxerxes posted:

So, I just ordered the rules, the Deluge supplement and the Imperial skirmish set for By Fire and Sword. There is a local group that plays it and I find the era interesting. Have you played it and did you like it? How fast does it play on skirmish level?

Sounds like you're in the same position as me. I've picked up the rulebook and have been painting a Prussian force but haven't gotten to actually play yet, though I'm planning on running a demo event at a local convention in May. For reference I don't think anyone actually plays at higher than skirmish level as the model count is intimidating and the force structure becomes much more complex. I get the feeling that they're trying to push the new Task Force rules to provide a more accessible way to play with larger forces.

I originally came here to ask advice on attaching banners to wire metal pikes. My 15mm Brandenburgers came with adhesive backed flags but I'm a little wary of using them as is since I suspect that they'll come loose from the pole. Should I try to harden them with PVA?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Put them on before varnishing maybe? Should stick them on a bit better then.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Just to make sure I don't make any mistakes before I buy a lot of poo poo - The various Team Yankee source books and the army lists in them are all compatible, right? In a tournament, one guy could bring a list from book A and another from book B and they should work together?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

Just to make sure I don't make any mistakes before I buy a lot of poo poo - The various Team Yankee source books and the army lists in them are all compatible, right? In a tournament, one guy could bring a list from book A and another from book B and they should work together?

Yeah, there's no eras or anything like that. Everything Team Yankee works together.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cool, thanks.

TY is just about the only wargame with a active community here, so I'm taking the plunge. There are more NATO than Pact players, so I'll be playing Pact. I kinda want to do a DDR T-55 :killdozer: list, but I also kinda don't want to paint and buy around 20 identical tanks. :v:

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

Cool, thanks.

TY is just about the only wargame with a active community here, so I'm taking the plunge. There are more NATO than Pact players, so I'll be playing Pact. I kinda want to do a DDR T-55 :killdozer: list, but I also kinda don't want to paint and buy around 20 identical tanks. :v:

You could go high-tech Soviets with the T-64s out of the Red Thunder book. Gun launched ATGMs are neat. There's a lot of other neat toys in it too like heavy arty with laser-guided rounds and some absolutely terrifying AA missile units.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Walked into the FLGS to buy a board game this saturday and stumbled into a bolt action weekly group I didn't know existed. Instead of walking out of the store with a board game I got the Bolt Action band of brothers starter set and a bunch of paint / basing mats.

gently caress

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

First Time Caller posted:

Walked into the FLGS to buy a board game this saturday and stumbled into a bolt action weekly group I didn't know existed. Instead of walking out of the store with a board game I got the Bolt Action band of brothers starter set and a bunch of paint / basing mats.

gently caress

Good choice, the plastic airborne models are great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I got into Napoleonics and I haven't painted anything other than French infantry for a year