Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

LastInLine posted:

aint that the truth lol

ayyyyy lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

LastInLine posted:

aint that the truth lol

lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
here lies winpho
he never sold

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

aint that the truth lol

lmbo

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

LastInLine posted:

aint that the truth lol

took me a minute

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

LastInLine posted:

Shaggar posted:

they never left the store (in the us atleast).
aint that the truth lol
:thurman:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

windows build 1709: turning off ads in the start menu by gpo is now reserved for enterprise sku only. if you had that gpo set in pro, we've re-enabled them for you.

p.s. unless you've completely disabled the user's ability to personalize the start menu, we've cleared all the pinned apps and re-pinned all our promoted bullshit in its place.

p.p.s. we've also helpfully reset all your customized app defaults

p.p.p.s. gently caress you

- microsoft

lol if you're using windows 10 without ClassicShell

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol if you're using some 3rd party bullshit for basic os functionality

this isn't mac os9 and it sure as gently caress ain't linux

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

classic shell is dying

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lets just heap some unsupported garbage on top of this rickety poo poo pile, that will definitely improve my computing experience

what's that? now my file copy process mines monero? oh well

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

dont be mean to me posted:

classic shell is dying

i see its not updated any more but does this really matter

lets just heap some unsupported garbage on top of this rickety poo poo pile, that will definitely improve my computing experience

what's that? now my file copy process mines monero? oh well

how does it actually work? im curious. i never detect any sort of lag or quick flicker of the metro start menu. does it like completely replace the startmenu.exe or some poo poo? doesn't seem like it "runs on top"

and i'm not denying that MS sucks for making me resort to having to use an alternative start menu btw

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

i see its not updated any more but does this really matter

apparently the author didn't want to chase microsoft issuing a new version every six months anymore

and despite the date on the sourceforge the most recent version is for old windows 10

and there hasn't been a new binary for it on the sourceforge since then

yeah it's probably going to get bad soon

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

dont be mean to me posted:

apparently the author didn't want to chase microsoft issuing a new version every six months anymore

and despite the date on the sourceforge the most recent version is for old windows 10

and there hasn't been a new binary for it on the sourceforge since then

yeah it's probably going to get bad soon

i dunno on my laptop ive had it installed for like 9 months, never updated it (but updated windows 10 a lot) and it has yet to break

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

i dunno on my laptop ive had it installed for like 9 months, never updated it (but updated windows 10 a lot) and it has yet to break

good to hear

here's hoping it stays that way

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

lol if you're using some 3rd party bullshit for basic os functionality

the free market will replace whatever useful features we remove

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the good news is microsoft never breaks unsupported apis from deprecated versions of the os

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the good news is microsoft never breaks unsupported apis from deprecated versions of the os

just official ones, like the function to get the os version number

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what's so funny about not being a massive idiot

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
classic shell on win8 is understandable. no one should have their whole screen hidden by garbage win they press winkey.

but why use it on win10?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

you say this, but I can no longer run my favorite 16-bit applications

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

classic shell on win8 is understandable. no one should have their whole screen hidden by garbage win they press winkey.

but why use it on win10?

versus

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

and? all of this is detachable leaving you with a compact program list

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shy posted:

the issue is if you have a latvian windows you have to do it every time there's a windows update.

which at best gets tedius.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

whos going to the start menu enough to gaf

i just hit winkey and start typing

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Without the pinned apps the current iteration is the best one yet, why on earth would I willingly install whatever is that xp parodying trash

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

the issue is if you have a latvian windows you have to do it every time there's a windows update.

my windows if free from such problems, tyvm. just detach everything and call it a day, an icon of two may appear twice per year with a service pack, but it also may not

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shy posted:

LastInLine posted:

whos going to the start menu enough to gaf

i just hit winkey and start typing

Shy posted:

Without the pinned apps the current iteration is the best one yet, why on earth would I willingly install whatever is that xp parodying trash

all of this, agreedo

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

my day:

-Click Firefox

-Open Thycotic

- Do Work

gently caress the start menu

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

my day:

-Click Firefox

-Open Thycotic

- Do Work

gently caress the start menu

i click chrome for work, and run my ides through search

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

don't pirate free operating systems, i guess?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

counter-point: the start button is bad no matter how you skin it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

remember when MS removed the start button in win 8? the thing they trained their users to click on for years and years lmao. whoops its gone! gently caress you!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rip lunix archduke, died to death of windows phone

Schadenboner posted:

Do people seriously use Windows 10?

:aaaaa:

it's not a good os

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The best thing about windows 8 was the "charms" that only popped out when you dragged the mouse pointer to the lower right corner

Literally nobody could figure out how to turn off their computers after upgrading because the button was part of the charms menu

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

The best thing about windows 8 was the "charms" that only popped out when you dragged the mouse pointer to the lower right corner

Literally nobody could figure out how to turn off their computers after upgrading because the button was part of the charms menu

remember how they touted that windows 8 would finally ship with a pdf reader, and then it turned out to be some hell garbage fullscreen metro poo poo that kicked you out of the desktop making it useless for anyone who actually needed to reference pdfs while working?

win 8 was like a game where you had to carefully tiptoe around the desktop trying not to inadvertently trigger something that would throw you into metro tile hell.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

w8 existed solely for microsoft's push into the tablet space, where it was an even bigger loving trashfire than on the desktop

the ui was still loving awful for every task, but also all the background cruft that comes with windows ensured your tablet ran like poo poo 100% of the time and had a standby battery life comfortably measured in minutes.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shy posted:

i can get to every single control panel item without a) even going to the control panel or b) trying to figure out if it's the windows control panel or the metro control panel

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Classic shell is garbage fire and you can make the win 10 start look like it.

also classic shell search is lmao dumpster fire

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

guess microsoft's stealing my browser history now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

atomicthumbs posted:

guess microsoft's stealing my browser history now

you joined a feedback program and thought you wouldn't be giving feedback

take a moment to process that