Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Chili's is also bad but I generally enjoy myself there significantly more than Applebee's

Cracker Barrel has so much kitsch and white people poo poo that it's become severely underrated as an actual restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah hating Shoney's is now classist or something

Scott Steiner owns a Shoney's.

Do not piss off Scott Steiner.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My local AMC basically serves applebees quality food and turns out when you're watching a movie, any ol' meal is fine.

Of course, you then wonder how three softwrap tacos and a handful of chips can be 1500 calories, but hey.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Chili's is also bad but I generally enjoy myself there significantly more than Applebee's

Food's the same but usually at Chili's they at least heat up the plate they prepared an hour ago before they bring it to you, Applebee's doesn't even give that much of a poo poo

Applebee's is an extremely lovely place to work even by the appallingly low standards of chain restaurants

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MourningView posted:

Spencer rules

I've never really read him before, at least that I can remember, so I looked for recent stuff and this piece is loving magnificent.

https://www.sbnation.com/features/2018/2/26/17027836/waste-management-phoenix-open-rickie-fowler-phil-mickelson

quote:

Where they’re from if they’re not from Phoenix are for the most part cold places — Chicago, Kansas City, Philadelphia, Boston, Toronto. They wear chicken suits, Dilly Dilly shirts, matching dri-fit golf shirts with things like THE MURPHY TREK 2018 stenciled on the chest. They are, by a shocking percentage, here for bachelor parties. The Waste Management Phoenix Open is the broheim antipode to the entire Nashville bachelorette phenomenon and its screaming horde of drunk ladies partying by a river while sipping cocktails out of obscene straws.

Bros come to the Waste Management Phoenix Open for bachelor parties. They come in numbers, and usually in matching shirts. They drink beer in a dry place starting at inappropriate hours. They yell out commonly employed phrases from television shows or commercials as social signals. They hold IRL conference calls where they huddle up, and agree or disagree on the attractiveness of passing women. At night they purchase reasonably priced steaks, share creamed spinach at local steakhouses, and drink in Old Town Scottsdale. They all go to bed earlier than they thought they might because golf starts early, and because they are all a bit older than they thought they were when they started the trip.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Of all those fast casual crap holes I’ve always enjoyed TGI Friday’s the best.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm not at all a food snob and am fine with most any chain restaurant, it's whatever, but Applebee's is really that bad yeah. I'm not sure how they gently caress up so bad. I feel the same way about Papa John's re: pizza chains.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Goons Can't Shut Up About Food, Film at 11

There's now some reason to cast doubt on the Mark Schlabach expose on Arizona Basketball

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Kalli posted:

My local AMC basically serves applebees quality food and turns out when you're watching a movie, any ol' meal is fine.

Of course, you then wonder how three softwrap tacos and a handful of chips can be 1500 calories, but hey.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I've never really read him before, at least that I can remember, so I looked for recent stuff and this piece is loving magnificent.

https://www.sbnation.com/features/2018/2/26/17027836/waste-management-phoenix-open-rickie-fowler-phil-mickelson

This is going to be appalling but I only knew him as a ~twitter and podcast personality~ and never read his stuff but he is drat good.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This tweet never ever gets old

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
The main problem with low-mid tier dine in chains isn’t that they’re bad, of course they’re bad. The problem is they’re bad and also like 15 dollars for an entree for some reason. You can get amazing food for like 10 bucks most places, or pay 15-20 for a good dining experience... they have no reason to exist. Sorry to get mad and scream at everyone like this.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/968963290087923712

yep

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Their menus at places like Chilis or Cheesecake Factory are broad enough (and bland enough) that a whole family can go out to eat at one without endless arguing (I don't like Chinese! We just had pizza last night! I wanna cheesburger! etc) about where to go. There's something on those oversized menus for everyone.

That's about the only case I've ever seen made for them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Five thirty eight is probably a better fit there than ESPN/Disney

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there some insane money behind The Athletic? I thought one of the benefits of 538 was ABC could use Nate during the elections. But now I guess there are so many nerds doing that stuff that they could find another.

Also Fazolis owns.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Niwrad posted:

Is there some insane money behind The Athletic?

Yes, it's a VC scam intended to, in their founders' own words, monopolize sports journalism

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Niwrad posted:

Is there some insane money behind The Athletic? I thought one of the benefits of 538 was ABC could use Nate during the elections. But now I guess there are so many nerds doing that stuff that they could find another.

Also Fazolis owns.

I’d imagine he either already has a separate on air contract or they’d work out a deal to make one, which the Athletic would be foolish to have any issue with as it would only further eyeballs on them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
P sure it's not a VC scam.

They wouldn't be spending money if it was supposed to scam money out of the VC's

Mostly it them making investments and hoping they pay off.

I hope they find sustainable success, as I greatly enjoy the coverage I see on the Chicago site.

And yeah like there are a couple of writers for the athletic who do on air stuff for Fox/CBS IIRC

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

sportsgenius86 posted:

I’d imagine he either already has a separate on air contract or they’d work out a deal to make one, which the Athletic would be foolish to have any issue with as it would only further eyeballs on them.

I think the luster has come off election forecasting a little bit anyway, even if Silver did comparably well

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

I think the luster has come off election forecasting a little bit anyway, even if Silver did comparably well

Ultimately I think.most people are just going to lump him in with everyone else who got it wrong, even though he was wrong to a lesser degree. He also, by his own admission, was way off during the primary so a lot of the shine was already off him

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

MourningView posted:

Ultimately I think.most people are just going to lump him in with everyone else who got it wrong, even though he was wrong to a lesser degree. He also, by his own admission, was way off during the primary so a lot of the shine was already off him

For me personally the reason I cooled on Silver is that whatever the utility of his stats models in predicting elections, most of his actual political analysis has been virtually indistinguishable from any other random pundit. During the primary he wrote a column about how Trump voters might not actually vote or one of the many similar excuses people came up with for why Trump's polls didn't count. And it was virtually identical to all of the articles by other pundits on why Trump could never actually win. When you take away the statistical models he's basically a replacement level pundit.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

JoeCL posted:

For me personally the reason I cooled on Silver is that whatever the utility of his stats models in predicting elections, most of his actual political analysis has been virtually indistinguishable from any other random pundit. During the primary he wrote a column about how Trump voters might not actually vote or one of the many similar excuses people came up with for why Trump's polls didn't count. And it was virtually identical to all of the articles by other pundits on why Trump could never actually win. When you take away the statistical models he's basically a replacement level pundit.

Honestly feels like the Upshot is doing more interesting/newer things over the last few years.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yes, it's a VC scam intended to, in their founders' own words, monopolize sports journalism

That makes it sound a lot more evil than it is.

Most sports journalist work for a handful of large media conglomerates anyways. Ones that are either increasingly moving away from the written word and towards video or are still running their operations like it’s 1957.

The Athletic monopolizing sports journalism would be better than what we’ve got now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mahoning posted:

The Athletic monopolizing sports journalism would be better than what we’ve got now.

The whole reason VCs or angel investors--or whatever phrase du jour you want to use for them--invest in a company is because the ultimate endgame is the company is sold and everyone gets rich(er); no one invests money without an exit strategy. The only way The Athletic doesn't eventually become yet another soulless water-carrier for the leagues is if there's an investor who's in it for an absurdly long haul; otherwise they'll get swallowed up in three to five years by some investment or "asset management" firm.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
After making that Fazolis crack, of course my kid ended up having dinner at the same exact dog poo poo Applebees in Kenosha that started this.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Timby posted:

The whole reason VCs or angel investors--or whatever phrase du jour you want to use for them--invest in a company is because the ultimate endgame is the company is sold and everyone gets rich(er); no one invests money without an exit strategy. The only way The Athletic doesn't eventually become yet another soulless water-carrier for the leagues is if there's an investor who's in it for an absurdly long haul; otherwise they'll get swallowed up in three to five years by some investment or "asset management" firm.

So what? For the time being it’s the some of the best sports journalism in one place and to boot there’s not an ad or video in sight. The possibility that things might change in the future is irrelevant. I’ll cancel the second things change for the worse. And I don’t read a website because I give a gently caress what it might be like in 5 months or 5 years. Nor do I give a gently caress who owns it or why.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Vancouver writer goes in on national hockey writer Elliotte Friedman http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ed-willes-poor-canucks-hounded-hurt-by-toxic-nabobs-of-negativity:

quote:

So why would Elliotte Frickin’ Friedman care so passionately about the Vancouver market, and why would he launch such an impassioned defence of Linden and Benning from The Big Smoke?

Fair questions, yes? As for the answers, we’d suggest they lie somewhere in the towering arrogance of Toronto’s media titans and the uncomfortable relationship that exists between “insiders” and their sources.

Friedman is a made man in that world but his information sometimes comes at a cost. Consider his radio diatribe a down payment on his next scoop.

His relationship with Benning, however, is of little consequence to the faithful. The only relevant point in his screed is Linden and Benning can’t function in this environment; that their performance has been compromised by the suffocating negativity in Van City and, somehow, someway, that wall of noise is part of the reason the Canucks never win.

To you, Mr. Blogger, I can only say welcome to the club.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

JoeCL posted:

His actual punditry was rudimentary true, but he was also one of the few people shouting about how Hillary did not actually have this locked up and it was significantly closer than polls and models (including his own models) were saying it was. I'll give him credit there, but his actual political commentary (and most commentary to be fair) is just so cliche and bland. I do agree that the Upshot is doing some really awesome stuff right now.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Akileese posted:

His actual punditry was rudimentary true, but he was also one of the few people shouting about how Hillary did not actually have this locked up and it was significantly closer than polls and models (including his own models) were saying it was. I'll give him credit there, but his actual political commentary (and most commentary to be fair) is just so cliche and bland. I do agree that the Upshot is doing some really awesome stuff right now.

I like the Upshot, but I'm not sure if I'll ever forgive them for the election night needle

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ESPN might be in a bit of trouble here.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/03/01/arizona-sean-miller-deandre-ayton-espn-report

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Not really. Even if the ESPN report was wrong to succeed in a defamation suit they would have to prove ESPN knew it was false and good luck with that.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

FMguru posted:

Their menus at places like Chilis or Cheesecake Factory are broad enough (and bland enough) that a whole family can go out to eat at one without endless arguing (I don't like Chinese! We just had pizza last night! I wanna cheesburger! etc) about where to go. There's something on those oversized menus for everyone.

That's about the only case I've ever seen made for them.

Cheesecake Factory works groups because of the menus, plus they’re loving gigantic and you don’t need a reservation.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MourningView posted:

Not really. Even if the ESPN report was wrong to succeed in a defamation suit they would have to prove ESPN knew it was false and good luck with that.

Still a pretty big black eye for them though. Similar to SI with their bogus Oklahoma State exposé

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Remember the "If I Did It?" OJ interview done like 12 years ago that never saw the light of day? It's back and Fox is gonna air it

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DJExile posted:

Remember the "If I Did It?" OJ interview done like 12 years ago that never saw the light of day? It's back and Fox is gonna air it

That can't possibly go south for Fox

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That can't possibly go south for Fox

I sorta love that not only do they have the balls to air this, but they want it to run up against their own former show.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Serious question: Is Bill Simmons 100 years old?

https://twitter.com/billsimmons/status/969619379544473600?s=21

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean he basically started his writing career at AOL so yeah.

My dad still as an aol email too, he has too much poo poo already set to send there and refuses to change it

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I thought AOL finally shut down, but I guess not. What happens to people's email when a company goes bust? I guess all the big original email services are still kicking. Is hotmail still around, or did that all get rolled into MSN email addresses?