Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

This is the first and probably last time I've wished I had a """"modernized"""" mosin just to give you crap.

I agree wholeheartedly, btw. And my AK isn't even foreign made, it was one of DDI's good ones before they were consumed by PSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Modernized just means bubba'd to me.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

The future is now, old man

Embrace it, cause chicks dig it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I really like that AK front furniture.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

The Rat posted:

The future is now, old man

Embrace it, cause chicks dig it

AKs are still a mass market and current weapon. Do as you please to it. Use scrap 2x4s to make a stock or spend top dollar. Whatever.

It's kinda like that thompson most everyone went "wtf" about a few weeks ago.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Eh, it's still mass produced and used in various conflicts, do what you want.

When is the last time the US issued the m1 carbine? Korea? Maybe early in Vietnam?

There's loving with one of the most prevalent rifles in the world, then there's loving with history. Don't gently caress up history.

its a new build m1 carbine.

https://www.inland-mfg.com/About-Inland/about-Inland.html

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Old: Sporterizing old bolt action rifles to go hunting.
Woke: putting on black synthetic furniture as a joke
Infowars: putting on black synthetic furniture to hunt down antifa supersoldiers

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I put plum stocks on my norinco and I'm not ashamed

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
At the end of the day, I don't much care what people do to their guns. If someone wants to put picatinny rails and a laser on their muzzleloader, so be it. I'm just going to laugh at it. And my opinion shouldn't matter in the equation of how you dress up a gun anyhow.

Maybe I'm the broken one, but modernizing a gun that's effectively a piece of history, is just wrong. New market remake or old stock, it just doesn't feel right.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I saw the bakelite colored magpul ak furniture someone on SA did and kinda want to see the same thing done to an ar 15, bonus points if the gun itself is gunmetal grey instead of black anodized

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
TFR pointed out that SGAmmo has 9mm for really cheap, including S&B and Blazer for $180/1000
https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/9mm-luger-ammo

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Holy moly there's some cheap ammo in there.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Eh, it's still mass produced and used in various conflicts, do what you want.

When is the last time the US issued the m1 carbine? Korea? Maybe early in Vietnam?

There's loving with one of the most prevalent rifles in the world, then there's loving with history. Don't gently caress up history.

We phased it out in '64 from Air Police and MP units, but the ARVN used it up until Saigon fell.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Well, I致e signed up for my first match - a steel challenge meet at Quantico. I知 as slow as molasses and not very accurate, but I知 gonna show up and do as well as I can.

How long do these things typically last?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Deathy McDeath posted:

Well, I’ve signed up for my first match - a steel challenge meet at Quantico. I’m as slow as molasses and not very accurate, but I’m gonna show up and do as well as I can.

Speaking from experience feeling like a loser is a lifetime thing.

Sorry.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Deathy McDeath posted:

Well, I致e signed up for my first match - a steel challenge meet at Quantico. I知 as slow as molasses and not very accurate, but I知 gonna show up and do as well as I can.

The more matches you shoot, the more you'll get used to the timer pressure. As far as improving speed and accuracy, regular dry fire and good technique makes the biggest difference.

You'll never show up to a match and have a massive improvement out of nowhere, but if you stick with it, read some good books and dry fire, you'll see solid incremental improvement.

For books I really like those by Brian Enos and Ben Stoeger.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

The Rat posted:

The more matches you shoot, the more you'll get used to the timer pressure. As far as improving speed and accuracy, regular dry fire and good technique makes the biggest difference.

You'll never show up to a match and have a massive improvement out of nowhere, but if you stick with it, read some good books and dry fire, you'll see solid incremental improvement.

For books I really like those by Brian Enos and Ben Stoeger.

I got Stoeger's "Practical Pistol" book and it's been extremely helpful. While I'm still getting some very fundamental things down (consistent trigger press, presentation and sight alignment, etc) this book has really given me a framework for developing a practice regimen.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Found a Steyr at a gunshop today. $400 for a C9-A1. Price is right but the caliber and size are wrong. 1-2 weeks to get an M or L40-A1 in, and I pretty much have to buy it in order to get a feel for it. They were not keen on having them in stock.

So, that said, Bud's has M40-A1s and L40-A1s for right under $500, about $75 cheaper than ordering local. I liked the feel of the C9-A1, but could easily deal with more heft and a slightly wider frame and grip. Probably going with the M40-A1.

How much am I going to hate ordering from Bud's? Anyone have experience dealing with them? I assume it's as easy pay buds, pick an ffl to have it mailed to, do the 4473 there. With a week or two wait from buying to pick up.

This shoots my trading in the .357 plans in the foot though. Not like I'd get much from that Rossi anyhow.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I've ordered from them exactly once and it was pretty painless, especially because they already had my nearest FFL on file. I don't recall how long it took to ship. :shrug:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I ordered some 50 BMG ammo from them once and the only oddity was them calling me to make sure it was a legit, non fraudulent purchase. Never ordered a gun from them though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Welp, once the tax return hits I'll call ffls and see who has a low fee. Buds has a list, probably just call a nearby shop and ask.

Then the holster hunt can truly begin.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Found a Steyr at a gunshop today. $400 for a C9-A1. Price is right but the caliber and size are wrong. 1-2 weeks to get an M or L40-A1 in, and I pretty much have to buy it in order to get a feel for it. They were not keen on having them in stock.

So, that said, Bud's has M40-A1s and L40-A1s for right under $500, about $75 cheaper than ordering local. I liked the feel of the C9-A1, but could easily deal with more heft and a slightly wider frame and grip. Probably going with the M40-A1.

How much am I going to hate ordering from Bud's? Anyone have experience dealing with them? I assume it's as easy pay buds, pick an ffl to have it mailed to, do the 4473 there. With a week or two wait from buying to pick up.

This shoots my trading in the .357 plans in the foot though. Not like I'd get much from that Rossi anyhow.

Why .40 over 9mm? 9mm is just as effective and has way cheaper ammo.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

My bullets are better than yours

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
.40 ammo is dirt cheap too now. Finding it easily in the .20-.25/rd price range.

We have a mag capacity limit here, the 9mm comes with 17rd mags, we're capped at 15 in Colorado. So those mags (depending on the ffl and how close they follow that law) go right in the trash out of the box. I'd have to wait for 10rd mags to show up. The .40 has 12rd mags, perfect for me. Don't care about two tone options like the M9-A1 has either.

And when I do eventually wander around in the woods, a .40 is a little more friendly than 9mm to pump into whatever doesn't run from my noisy rear end. Not that I wander often anymore, but it's reassuring. The .357mag I have is still fine for this, but it couldn't hurt to carry 24 rounds instead of 12. And not have to fiddle with reloading a revolver.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Send those mags to some more fortunately-represented soul in another state.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I hosed up by knowing how to unload an ar-15, sks and lever action today and now I知 "the gun guy." Out of ten people I was the only person who could. Sad!

Side note I知 getting an MPX

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Godholio posted:

Send those mags to some more fortunately-represented soul in another state.

The FFL that receives the pistol is responsible for plucking out and trashing magazines that are over capacity limits. Wouldn't even see the mags if they're following the law.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

That's a big ol 'if' though.

Lots of FFLs here in CO are still openly selling >15rd mags.

If the mag doesn't have a date stamp on it, well.... I dunno, maybe you forgot some under your bed a few years ago?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The C9-A1 I looked at the other day had both mags, but they were stamped with 15 on the side, and aren't generally marked 17. It also has non-factory 3-dot sights, not the triangular sights.

That shop's one of the biggest in town, outside of poo poo like bass pro. A pawn shop ffl might not care, but this place has a huge draw and advertises a lot. I know someone that works at a pawn shop, but their company's policy is long guns only.

Need to go out and see what Dragonman's got up for offer in his shop.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsRUMLE9ZQ8

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think I just saw God.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Heresy.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013
Got my free float handguard installed. Next in line is a new optic.

Also, if anyone is interested in a Geissele low pro gas block or my old magpul furniture hit me up. I want to give GIP first dibs.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
That looks hell of gay.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

it's a joke right or did you actually spraypaint that on the butt stock

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013
Nope, just like Woody Guthrie. To each his own I guess.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I want to get a duplicate of Woody Guthrie's "this machine kills fascists" sticker and put it on a Garand stock.

Anyway, in gun news, I ordered a binary trigger to put into my M&P 15-22.

Turn my cheap pew pew gun into my cheap pewpewpew gun.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, slogans like that aren't my cup of tea but goddamn that looks like some clean stenciling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

McNally posted:

I want to get a duplicate of Woody Guthrie's "this machine kills fascists" sticker and put it on a Garand stock.

Anyway, in gun news, I ordered a binary trigger to put into my M&P 15-22.

Turn my cheap pew pew gun into my cheap pewpewpew gun.

Same but "This machine has killed fascists" on my SMLE