Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Has anyone used this gold recipe for golden armor?

Balthasar Base, Agrax Shade, Gehenna's Gold Layer, Auric Armor Gold highlight.

I saw the recipe online but there wasn't any accompanying photos, so i'm wondering how it looks. I want to make my Vertus Praetors have darker, older armor than the jetbikes themselves, and i thought this would do the trick.

I've used it for my plagued ultramarines and I think it looks great. A much browner, earthier gold to the bright orange of retributor golds. I've actually been putting the agrax on after the ghenna's gold layer though, I prefer how that looks. Sorry I don't have any pictures on hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Booley posted:

I painted a thing.

Stupid question, but is that airbrush work? Like, is that technique something that could in theory be done over large surface areas via airbrush or other spray applications?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

susan posted:

Stupid question, but is that airbrush work? Like, is that technique something that could in theory be done over large surface areas via airbrush or other spray applications?

Yes, its mostly airbrush work. I don't see any reason you couldn't do it over a larger surface area, but if its something much bigger than a model you're probably better off looking for product to do automotive candy apple red, which is essentially the same theory.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The smooth candy apple is definitely airbrush (and not too hard either, especially if you're not afraid to play with lacquer), the edges look like they were gently hit with a dark red, the silver could be airbrushed but looks more likely painted and hit with a thin black glaze/wash. The guy who actually painted the thing should correct me if i'm wrong of course :v:

It's good work and looks great, and you definitely wouldn't need a fancy setup to emulate it since it appears to be base coat and edge shading.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I've got a Masters G22 and it's working well but the spray is too small. Is there like a tip I can buy for a wider spray or am I just missing something?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The g22 is a pretty large area brush, how exactly are you using it? For stuff like base coats you want to do multiple quick passes until you get an even layer.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

It's plenty big for models. The issue is terrain. The spray is maybe 3/8in wide. Maybe I'm looking for too much performance out of this.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, i'm not sure how much bigger you can get short of just buying a rattlecan AKA a paint shotgun.

Incidentally, this is why I usually base coat large terrain with cheap paints, especially absorbant stuff.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

The smooth candy apple is definitely airbrush (and not too hard either, especially if you're not afraid to play with lacquer), the edges look like they were gently hit with a dark red, the silver could be airbrushed but looks more likely painted and hit with a thin black glaze/wash. The guy who actually painted the thing should correct me if i'm wrong of course :v:

It's good work and looks great, and you definitely wouldn't need a fancy setup to emulate it since it appears to be base coat and edge shading.

Yes, definitely airbrushed.

Silver undercoat (I used ForgeWorld Iron Hand Steel, but if I did it again I'd probably use Vallejo Metal Color Steel instead), with a zenithal highlight (I used Vallejo Metal Color Duraluminum). Then do some shading with ForgeWorld Calth Blue and Mortarion Green, and then about 15 layers of Angron Red.

Its all explained in the FW Horus Heresy masterclass book. https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/The-Horus-Heresy-Model-Masterclass

The silver banding is washed with both nuln oil and drakenhof nightshade (blue) to build color temperature contrast against the red.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Booley posted:

Yes, its mostly airbrush work. I don't see any reason you couldn't do it over a larger surface area, but if its something much bigger than a model you're probably better off looking for product to do automotive candy apple red, which is essentially the same theory.

I've been trying to do this (basically going for this exactly color) without an airbrush and failing miserably. (Testing on spoons) What kind of dilution ratio should I be using for the red? I either end up with washed-out metallic pink, or the red is too opaque and you can't see the metallic

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

It's plenty big for models. The issue is terrain. The spray is maybe 3/8in wide. Maybe I'm looking for too much performance out of this.

If you're in the US, you can get a paint gun from Harbor Freight for like $10 with coupon. It's like an airbrush on steroids. The downside is that 1) you'll need a real compressor; and 2) a shitload of paint.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

If you're in the US, you can get a paint gun from Harbor Freight for like $10 with coupon. It's like an airbrush on steroids. The downside is that 1) you'll need a real compressor; and 2) a shitload of paint.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Giant Isopod posted:

I've been trying to do this (basically going for this exactly color) without an airbrush and failing miserably. (Testing on spoons) What kind of dilution ratio should I be using for the red? I either end up with washed-out metallic pink, or the red is too opaque and you can't see the metallic

Are you using the FW angron red / tamiya clear red, or are you just using a red paint? I think I had it thinned about 50/50 with FW clear medium, but you can still get the same effect unthinned.

berzerkmonkey posted:

By real compressor you mean something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/21-gal-25-hp-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61454.html. And your own garage to use it in. And earpro. Those guns are for painting cars/houses, not terrain.

Booley fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 28, 2018

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Booley posted:

Are you using the FW angron red / tamiya clear red, or are you just using a red paint? I think I had it thinned about 50/50 with FW clear medium, but you can still get the same effect unthinned.

I've been using tamiya clear red and at least one attempt with reaper clear red (which does not seem to be the same thing at all) thinned about 50/50 with vallejo glaze medium

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Booley posted:

And your own garage to use it in. And earpro. Those guns are for painting cars/houses, not terrain.

you can't tell me what to do! you're not my real dad!

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Giant Isopod posted:

I've been using tamiya clear red and at least one attempt with reaper clear red (which does not seem to be the same thing at all) thinned about 50/50 with vallejo glaze medium

I'd say that whatever you did to get the washed out metallic pink is probably the right thing......just apply it another 15 times. Honestly I don't know how much success you'll get doing it with a brush unless you're doing extremely small areas.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Booley posted:

By real compressor you mean something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/21-gal-25-hp-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61454.html. And your own garage to use it in. And earpro. Those guns are for painting cars/houses, not terrain.

A pancake compressor will do just fine. And ear protection is $1 for a few pairs of foam plugs. I don't know what kind of terrain Cat Face Joe is painting, but a standard airbrush doesn't cut it, so the one I recommended might work. Yeah, it's got wide coverage, but it's not spraying a 5 foot swath. I used mine to paint tombstones and skelebois for Halloween.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Booley posted:

It would certainly paint terrain.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I use an airbrush for almost everything I can with miniatures and I still use rattlecans for terrain.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

A pancake compressor will do just fine. And ear protection is $1 for a few pairs of foam plugs. I don't know what kind of terrain Cat Face Joe is painting, but a standard airbrush doesn't cut it, so the one I recommended might work. Yeah, it's got wide coverage, but it's not spraying a 5 foot swath. I used mine to paint tombstones and skelebois for Halloween.

Really? I wouldn't expect it to work very well at all, those HVLP guns expect 5-6cfm at 40psi, and a pancake is maybe 2cfm at 40psi. I guess if you only do short bursts and let it refill the tank inbetween it would work, I just can't see it being much faster than just using a big brush. And I can't see using my pancake compressor in my apartment without my neighbors killing me.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Booley posted:

Really? I wouldn't expect it to work very well at all, those HVLP guns expect 5-6cfm at 40psi, and a pancake is maybe 2cfm at 40psi. I guess if you only do short bursts and let it refill the tank inbetween it would work, I just can't see it being much faster than just using a big brush. And I can't see using my pancake compressor in my apartment without my neighbors killing me.

Sorry - you are correct. I shouldn't have said pancake compressor. You are better off using a compressor with a tank - I'm using a compressor with a 2 gallon tank. I'd have to check the HP on the unit, but it worked fine. Bear in mind that I wasn't doing any huge projects, so the tank did have time to refill.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
What on earth happened to this thread

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TTerrible posted:

What on earth happened to this thread

This is "Compressor Talk - Pancake or Twin stack" now. Where have you been?

EDIT: Now I want to go to IHOP.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

You could probably get a siphon feed airbrush, those seem better designed for spraying lots of paint at higher pressures a with a few inches width of spray. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-200-1-Siphon-Airbrush/dp/B000BPWT76

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Miniatures Painting - Bad Advice, lovely Snipes

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

You could probably get a siphon feed airbrush, those seem better designed for spraying lots of paint at higher pressures a with a few inches width of spray. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-200-1-Siphon-Airbrush/dp/B000BPWT76

Yes, this is a good solution for painting terrain. It does up to a 2.5" spray pattern, so if you're having trouble getting your paint that wide add more air.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Using a paint gun and full sized compressor to paint anything even remotely miniature related is like using a shotgun to kill a fly, indoors; it's overkill, won't work well, and your neighbors will hate you for it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

That looks really miserable. Just rent one of these: https://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/Medium-Duty-Paint-Sprayer/262906/index.html

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0bEvHplIbQ&t=3s

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Just use a large brush and cheap acrylic lmao, and there's no way there's any terrain big enough where you'd use an airbrush and think "no this is too long".

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Obviously the trick is to convince your friends that painting Aunt Polly's bunker and crater set is much more fun than stickball or hopscotch or what have you.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Also to chime in, as a former employee of Harbor Freight for 7 years, they're a garbage company that treats their employees like poo poo. Don't buy their stuff unless you absolutely have to.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
This is the ONLY way to paint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJjiwruZacY&t=83s

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Big McHuge posted:

Also to chime in, as a former employee of Harbor Freight for 7 years, they're a garbage company that treats their employees like poo poo. Don't buy their stuff unless you absolutely have to.

I bought one of those compressors thinking I'd save myself an extra $50.

I think I'm still partially deaf from that loving thing. Holy poo poo.

Air brushing should be relaxing, kick back with some light tunes playing, a soft murmur of the compressor kicking in once every few minutes, while doing kick rear end blends on your models.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Is that Averland Sunset?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
No idea, random google image. But i bet someone has painted a Forgeworld model that cost over $500 with one.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 1, 2018

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I painted a 6x4 table with a SOTAR2020. You don’t need a paint gun wtf

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
I don't believe fence painting dude is getting coverage like that with just one pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Philthy posted:

I bought one of those compressors thinking I'd save myself an extra $50.

I think I'm still partially deaf from that loving thing. Holy poo poo.

Air brushing should be relaxing, kick back with some light tunes playing, a soft murmur of the compressor kicking in once every few minutes, while doing kick rear end blends on your models.

I wish. The fan on my hood is way too loud for that.