Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jimbot posted:

Some people get really nasty when things don't go perfectly. This one person called the whole rest of the team "retards" at least several times. I told him to stop playing games and seek help if he keeps getting worked up over trite like these kind of games.

Which is particularly bizarre seeing that the game is brand new (same mechanics but new maps, enemies, all that). I've had several people going "ALL GRIMS ALL TOMES FINAL DESTINATION ONLY" right out of the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again

Frustrated posted:

They removed the city map with the temple of Sigmar and replaced it with a village map, so we at least get one map of variety. I still don't get the map limit poo poo if they're keeping progress and this is the release client... Everyone playing has already paid for the game, all they have to do is flip a switch next week since we're on the release build, and there's no way to test a lot of stuck bugs on 9 or so maps without letting people play them before release.

Probably just so that the game's not solved on release day.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Also can confirm, the soundtrack in this one's real good, that thumping music at the end of the burning town level owns.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Frustrated posted:

playing with it some, I do think they lowered the accuracy. I'm having trouble headshotting things across the map like I was last beta.
They gave it a stupid amount of falloff damage too. It only does full damage at, basically, twice melee distance. At this point, I'm not sure what its good for because it also hits about as hard as a charged melee attack at best. I'm waiting to see how it interacts with Bounty Hunter to see if that makes it worth using again, but right now the side-pistol is definitely not a large part of the rapier's use at all. Its still probably a fine weapon overall, but much less good than it was before.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

So I'm the one in my group that wasn't really fussed about class and as a result I've been shoehorned into the bright wizard. What is my role, and what would an ideal bright wizard on your team be doing?

e: VT2

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Captain Mediocre posted:

So I'm the one in my group that wasn't really fussed about class and as a result I've been shoehorned into the bright wizard. What is my role, and what would an ideal bright wizard on your team be doing?

Lightin motherfuckers up.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Gunder posted:

It feels like the special rats/chaos guys are much harder in this build, even on recruit.

Yeah, the higher difficulties are basically the director going "while constantly fighting a horde, whats the most bullshit combination of specials/patrols/bosses I can do in the allotted level space???"

Having dedicated can openers and special snipers is even more important now than in the first game, and it was crucial in the first game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Seems like 3 levels again but progress carries over this time.

Actually quick play is handing out levels I haven't seen before. It seems like story/custom progression is currently locked?

Did some hellishly long level where you have to destroy Nurgle pustules in a cave at the end.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, just got the game, never played 1, hoping I can get some newbie question answered that the game doesn't seem to explain.

• What exactly do the different potions do and which is the "best" one if I got to choose, strength?
  • Are there recommended graphics settings so that the pyromancers fireball reloading doesn't blind me?
  • What causes healthbars to turn brown, I get that it's unhealable and the party getting worn down, but it seems to effect everyone equally
  • Are there any maps besides that mill?
  • Are regular bombs for boss killing instead of crowd killing?
  • Does the pyromancer get anything for her "ammo" recharge like the other characters seem to get free ammo on gear?

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Orikaeshigitae posted:

Probably just so that the game's not solved on release day.

I'm just complaining because I have a compulsive need to level up characters now that progress is saved, but it feels like they just released a quarter of the game for no reason. Either reset progress on release or release the whole thing now. Allowing people to grind to level 30 on 3 maps is silly.

Edit: If quickplay has the whole suite of maps then I'll stop complaining. That's fine with me.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Captain Mediocre posted:

You are massively gear dependent. As Battle Wizard with the very starting weapons you're gonna want to hold off on using your ranged until there's a horde, mostly using light attacks on your sword for lone targets and charged side to side sweeps to CC folks. Also the third attack in your 3-hit light combo with the sword is an armor-piercing headshot, so that's important. When a horde shows up, fully charge those fireballs (listen to the sound) and pop off as hard as you can without overflowing your heat, taking out swarms handfuls at a time. Your charged fireballs are also pretty good against stormvermin and chaos warriors/raiders. When you're maxxed out switch back to sword CC whoever's left, taking special care to focus on the edges of the fight so your team doesn't get overwhelmed, and wait for your passive to kick in and vent you.

This all changes somewhat depending on your staff and weapon, which all do different things and allow you to cover different needs for the group from boss killing to swarm incineration.

Earlier in the thread I posted videos of the other two classes if you wanna see how the hero develops as you level up

e; vvvv For real tho

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Mediocre posted:

Yardbomb posted:

Lightin motherfuckers up.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, just got the game, never played 1, hoping I can get some newbie question answered that the game doesn't seem to explain.

[list]

[*] What causes healthbars to turn brown, I get that it's unhealable and the party getting worn down, but it seems to effect everyone equally

this is if someone holds a grimoire. basically if someone picks up a grimoire your team loses 30% of their max health. I think there are usually 2 grimoires a map, so thats up to 60% health loss. They take the place of your potion slot and if you complete the mission with them you get a better loot box thing or whatever.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Lets 2 grim a level while we are all power level 5. :smithicide:

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

-Every single pub group

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

• What exactly do the different potions do and which is the "best" one if I got to choose, strength?
  • Are there recommended graphics settings so that the pyromancers fireball reloading doesn't blind me?
  • What causes healthbars to turn brown, I get that it's unhealable and the party getting worn down, but it seems to effect everyone equally
  • Are there any maps besides that mill?
  • Are regular bombs for boss killing instead of crowd killing?
  • Does the pyromancer get anything for her "ammo" recharge like the other characters seem to get free ammo on gear?

1: Strength makes ALL of your damage higher for the duration, this includes your ranged weapons and bombs.
2: Dunno on that one.
3: Grimoires, fleshy books filled with bad juju, which serve the same purpose as tomes, giving you better loot at the end of the match if you can carry it into the exit, there's two on a level, first cuts 25% HP from everyone, second carried too cuts 50%.
4: There's 3 I see freely selectable, but yeah quick play is giving people more than just those as well it seems.
5: Use as necessary really, but yeah if you know roger (Rat ogre) is coming up like the barn in the grain fields map, save it and blow his rear end up with it instead.
6: Can't say on that one either.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Are bombs really useful at all for bosses though? I was saving them for proper hordes/sticky situations during the beta because they seemed to do jack poo poo for damage.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Are bombs really useful at all for bosses though? I was saving them for proper hordes/sticky situations during the beta because they seemed to do jack poo poo for damage.

I just had a group annihilate the rat ogre on Grain with four bombs. Kind of an edge case and it's just a normal rogre but still.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Powder bombs yes, firebombs less so.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

our goon group (almost) managed it - we lost death sandwich to a d/c so we lost a grim but limped through to the portal with the rest of the books.

we were all level 1-3 :smug:

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Just did the map they were showing on the stream where you have to blow up the manor and the whole city starts exploding, with none of us having any idea where the gently caress to go, it was hilarious trying to escape at the end. It literally came down to a mad sprint to get to the shadow gate before the pursuing rats killed us, just to be knocked out mere steps from it, and to then have an AI elf bot pick us up and take all of the aggro which allowed the rest of us to escape.

Game of the year 10/10

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

guilty

0/3 on maps thus far.

I'm assuming Saltzypres rapier gun doesnt hit where you aim the dot, that is, it has spread? It's really weak with the level 1 captain andI have to train myself to use it less on real targets

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Dravs posted:

Just did the map they were showing on the stream where you have to blow up the manor and the whole city starts exploding, with none of us having any idea where the gently caress to go, it was hilarious trying to escape at the end. It literally came down to a mad sprint to get to the shadow gate before the pursuing rats killed us, just to be knocked out mere steps from it, and to then have an AI elf bot pick us up and take all of the aggro which allowed the rest of us to escape.

Game of the year 10/10

yep that was wild, I was grey health for that entire section after the manor blows up

Orv
May 4, 2011

Madcosby posted:

guilty

0/3 on maps thus far.

I'm assuming Saltzypres rapier gun doesnt hit where you aim the dot, that is, it has spread? It's really weak with the level 1 captain andI have to train myself to use it less on real targets

It has recoil but the recoil is applied before the round hit scans, so you need to compensate down for it. It's incredibly powerful (unless they ultranerfed it).

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

Banano posted:

yep that was wild, I was grey health for that entire section after the manor blows up

I was leaning into my monitor as we were running towards the gate. Never had that happen in any other game :blush:

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

Gonkish posted:

It's DDR4-3200, CAS 16.

Still can't quite figure out what's going on.

Gonk, try going to processor affinity, and take off one of the CPU's, and see if the game keeps stuttering.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I feel it's taking me 3 shots sometimes on the lowest level of trash rat to take it down with the off hand pistol (with power 5 weapon). Not sure if I'm aiming poorly or if it's weak, or both

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
My first piece of loot for Kruber was a 1h mace, which I hadn’t used prior to this since I chose to focus on stuff woth shield so I could bully rats and stuff them into lockers. This weapon, even at 13 PL, is a godsend.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Willie Tomg posted:

You are massively gear dependent. As Battle Wizard with the very starting weapons you're gonna want to hold off on using your ranged until there's a horde, mostly using light attacks on your sword for lone targets and charged side to side sweeps to CC folks. Also the third attack in your 3-hit light combo with the sword is an armor-piercing headshot, so that's important. When a horde shows up, fully charge those fireballs (listen to the sound) and pop off as hard as you can without overflowing your heat, taking out swarms handfuls at a time. Your charged fireballs are also pretty good against stormvermin and chaos warriors/raiders. When you're maxxed out switch back to sword CC whoever's left, taking special care to focus on the edges of the fight so your team doesn't get overwhelmed, and wait for your passive to kick in and vent you.

This all changes somewhat depending on your staff and weapon, which all do different things and allow you to cover different needs for the group from boss killing to swarm incineration.

Earlier in the thread I posted videos of the other two classes if you wanna see how the hero develops as you level up

e; vvvv For real tho

This is all really handy, thanks. Is there any situation in which I would want to be using the L-click attack with the default staff instead of the charged AOE?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I just wrapped up a round when I got a message from my gf that they found a rat trying to burrow into her apartment. The Vermintide ARG is pretty on point! :tinfoil:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This game needs damage numbers and a report bug button. Sorry Fatshark but you're not good enough to not have a bug report button.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
holy poo poo some people are awful at this. the number of people trying to do two-grim runs on their level one characters is loving staggering. or people dying in the first field in 'against the grain'.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

has anyone gotten green weapons below level 5, blues below level 10, or oranges below level 15 in this beta? If not then they didn't remove the level gate on colors so trying to get grimoires at level 1 is a borderline waste of time anyway :laffo:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Digirat posted:

has anyone gotten green weapons below level 5, blues below level 10, or oranges below level 15 in this beta? If not then they didn't remove the level gate on colors so trying to get grimoires at level 1 is a borderline waste of time anyway :laffo:

unconfirmed report of a friend getting a green at level 3 but the hero power scaling still seems to be in effect, and hero power is potentially more powerful than any of the modifiers you get from your gear anymore so ?????????

entire thing is one big question mark, but i can confirm that one of kruber's lines when jumped but a gutter runner is 'GET OFF ME YOU drat DIRTY RAT' which is pretty A+

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Banano posted:

our goon group (almost) managed it - we lost death sandwich to a d/c so we lost a grim but limped through to the portal with the rest of the books.

we were all level 1-3 :smug:

My fiancee managed to complete a QP mission where everyone was level 1 and got both grims and all 3 tomes. She said it was absolutely miserable and everyone limped into the bubble at the end with slivers of white health but it was a success.

I'm salty because the servers were down all afternoon and by the time they came up, I had to make dinner and go to work :smith:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coolguye posted:

unconfirmed report of a friend getting a green at level 3 but the hero power scaling still seems to be in effect, and hero power is potentially more powerful than any of the modifiers you get from your gear anymore so ?????????

entire thing is one big question mark, but i can confirm that one of kruber's lines when jumped but a gutter runner is 'GET OFF ME YOU drat DIRTY RAT' which is pretty A+

kruber swears a lot more now and it owns

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Digirat posted:

Green haver here on my like level 2 Saltzpyre and then another on 3.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I suspect Kruber's annoyance at being knighted is because they made him shave off his beard.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Digirat posted:

kruber swears a lot more now and it owns

i was happier for the drive by planet of the apes reference

also for reference, a grim is 50xp and a tome is 20xp at the finishing screen now. completion of a map on recruit is 400xp and each hero alive is another 25xp. from an xp standpoint books are really not that important, what's far more important is just getting the level done and not dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It is funny seeing all these people who were amazing at V1 get slugged with scrubs like me and trying to carry. Granted they always want to get both grims every time and it rarely turns out okay, buy I was in a match with an elf that was an absolute blender and we dragged through somehow.

• Locked thread