Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

It's probably fine except Midnight Guard gets owned by Bolt and the deck can't beat Counterspells and Mulldrifters and Electrickery is a problem for your plan and you'd be under constant time pressure and actually going infinite isn't really feasible online and your manabase is underwhelming and you get owned by Viridian Longbow pretty hard.

That's what I assume the bodyguards and spidersilk armor out of the board are for.

By Bananas, I meant "this deck is cool as hell, and I would probably build it in paper"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Affinity is a good pauper deck right? I was going through my collection today on a lark and discovered I am just a couple cards short of a full list (I even had some Pyroblasts and Hydroblasts from when I was a kid). My LGS runs pauper on Saturday so I was thinking I’d pick up the last couple Carapace Forgers and a Chromatic Star and sleeve this up if I can make it this weekend.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

wisdomHNOX posted:

Affinity is a good pauper deck right? I was going through my collection today on a lark and discovered I am just a couple cards short of a full list (I even had some Pyroblasts and Hydroblasts from when I was a kid). My LGS runs pauper on Saturday so I was thinking I’d pick up the last couple Carapace Forgers and a Chromatic Star and sleeve this up if I can make it this weekend.

Yeah it's fine, it's just really dependant on your draws. Don't be surprised if you keep a hand with two threats, have them answered, and stare a board of 6 lands, 4 mana artifacts and nothing else after seeing 20 cards.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Also you'll sometimes randomly lose to a dude running Gorilla Shaman and blowing up all your lands.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
LGS is going to start running pauper, I have no ash barrens but have almost everything else for pauper. What should I run for an unknown field? I’ve played the familiars, the drake flicker deck, UB Teachings, mono blue delver, freed from the real combo, and elves before but haven’t been actively playing lately

Expecting elves, mono blue delver, and probably whatever has been most recently featured on mtggoldfish

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Why not use terramorphic or evolving wilds? Sure it comes in tapped, but the cards are like .50 a pop. Ash Barrens is like $7 now, and gently caress a $28 playset when I spent less on the rest of the entire deck. :shrug:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

LGS is going to start running pauper, I have no ash barrens but have almost everything else for pauper. What should I run for an unknown field? I’ve played the familiars, the drake flicker deck, UB Teachings, mono blue delver, freed from the real combo, and elves before but haven’t been actively playing lately

Expecting elves, mono blue delver, and probably whatever has been most recently featured on mtggoldfish

Elves is good against Elves and Delver, assuming you know the matchup better that the opponent and are willing to play two maindeck Viridian Longbows and the other two in the side to crush the mirror, though you'll probably run into an above average amount of Boros and MBC at a local paper tournament. If you trust yourself to play fast and are willing to politely but firmly insist that your opponents make plays, you can try the Stonehorn Tron deck I posted above - it kind of murders Elves and other Forest decks and Mono-blue Delver is a good matchup because they don't get Pyroblast or really any threatening sideboard cards. Tron will also beat the midrange grinding junk people love playing. You will never finish three games against the average LGS midrange/control player though, and you're lucky if you complete two.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Why not use terramorphic or evolving wilds? Sure it comes in tapped, but the cards are like .50 a pop. Ash Barrens is like $7 now, and gently caress a $28 playset when I spent less on the rest of the entire deck. :shrug:

Ash Barrens is better than Wilds/Expanse by an enormous margin if you're running Brainstorm or Ponder or bouncelands, and is usually better otherwise. I've played that Familiars deck a whole lot and it's ridiculous how much better Ash Barrens is compared to the other fetches.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hellsau posted:

Elves is good against Elves and Delver, assuming you know the matchup better that the opponent and are willing to play two maindeck Viridian Longbows and the other two in the side to crush the mirror, though you'll probably run into an above average amount of Boros and MBC at a local paper tournament. If you trust yourself to play fast and are willing to politely but firmly insist that your opponents make plays, you can try the Stonehorn Tron deck I posted above - it kind of murders Elves and other Forest decks and Mono-blue Delver is a good matchup because they don't get Pyroblast or really any threatening sideboard cards. Tron will also beat the midrange grinding junk people love playing. You will never finish three games against the average LGS midrange/control player though, and you're lucky if you complete two.

I like playing elves if there are less MBC players in the room and you don’t have to play the mirror. I feel like with other decks the mirrors are interesting but the Elves mirror is just boring. I stopped playing the deck in paper after the last paper tournament I played against 4 MBC decks in a row after round 2.

I can pilot the flicker decks quickly and don’t mind requesting my opponents make a play - got the latest greatest list with your changes you noted? I’ll see if I can throw it together and borrow some Ash Barrens from the dude that buys all the commander decks.

Edit - rechecked your list, no Ash Barrens, sounds like a plan!

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 27, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

I like playing elves if there are less MBC players in the room and you don’t have to play the mirror. I feel like with other decks the mirrors are interesting but the Elves mirror is just boring. I stopped playing the deck in paper after the last paper tournament I played against 4 MBC decks in a row after round 2.

I can pilot the flicker decks quickly and don’t mind requesting my opponents make a play - got the latest greatest list with your changes you noted? I’ll see if I can throw it together and borrow some Ash Barrens from the dude that buys all the commander decks.

Edit - rechecked your list, no Ash Barrens, sounds like a plan!

Ash Barrens (and therefore Brainstorm) doesn't work in Tron decks, since you just cannot afford to play a bunch of basics, and you don't play bouncelands to get it back like the Familiars deck can. Fresh Stonehorn Tron deck:

https://pastebin.com/KUrHYGaB

I've gone 4-1, 3-2, 4-1 in leagues with this thing, losing to Zombies (I drew hilariously badly, the matchup is vastly favorable), Mono-blue Delver (flooded with zero tron pieces somehow), and Burn twice (beating it 4 other times). Probably going up to a third Hydroblast because there's just so much Burn in the leagues. The Signets were garbage and they will not be missed. I swapped the second Island for a fourth Tranquil Cove and haven't been disappointed. Remote Isle has performed spectacularly through no fault of its own, since it's mostly been something I can get into the yard to Pulse back against Burn. Still don't know if this set of counterspells is correct, it'll take more games.

Deep Analysis has been great. I haven't had to kill anyone by milling them with Deep Analysis, but it's be a valuable sideboard card as just a card advantage house in grindy matchups, and it's even fine against Burn when you take out a million cards and just want to draw more counters and Pulses. Arrows has been alright, but I've only drawn is once in a game I couldn't lose. I'm thinking I might want it to be another removal spell, but I'm not sure which. I want something to bring in to kill Burn's dorky creatures and Gut Shot is pretty underwhelming when it only kills the Archer, though a 3rd Hydroblast would take that slot either way. I can't just swap the 3rd Hydroblast in for the Arrows since it screws up the sideboarding against Izzet Delver. Arrows is probably not good enough since my Mono-blue Delver opponents are inexplicably siding in 2+ Annuls, apparently because they just hate having useful cards in their deck? I haven't gotten the Arrows Annulled yet, and if my opponent Annuls a Map or Prism on turn 8 it feels like I just can't lose, so who knows what's going on there. Gonna take some tinkering to finalize the sideboard.

Or you can forgo Tron and just play Familiars:

https://pastebin.com/TPd6cWfR

Still a dog to Tron but if you're never gonna finish three games, who cares? Just blaze through the first game in ten minutes, side in a bunch of Pyroblasts to try to win game 2 and take the inevitable 1-1 draw. Plus you get the enjoyment of your opponents never conceding, so you get to play Magic the entire time you're in the tournament with no downtime! Absolutely requires Ash Barrens though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is this mess of a deck good enough for Pauper or is that just wishful thinking?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I wanna say "it's too slow" but I mean... I think it has a lot of potential. You have a deck filled with ever-growing Rats, all of which cost 3.

What really stands out to me is that they cost 2 black. You could totally pop in some Gary as a big drain.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I don't care whether it's good or not I just bought 30 rats and you can't stop me.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

uPen posted:

I don't care whether it's good or not I just bought 30 rats and you can't stop me.

Excuse you sir you can only run ten copies (5 different sets and 5 foils of those).

Though holy hell the cheapest Relentless Rat printing was almost $2.00.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

uPen posted:

22 swamp
30 relentless rats
4 grey merchant
4 oubliette

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

PJOmega posted:

Excuse you sir you can only run ten copies (5 different sets and 5 foils of those).

Though holy hell the cheapest Relentless Rat printing was almost $2.00.

The 11th ed printing is 2 cents or it was an hour ago.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Did something happen recently that made the Freed from the Real deck much less good?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Did something happen recently that made the Freed from the Real deck much less good?

People play counterspells and removal? I can't imagine that Freed deck beating Izzet Delver ever.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hellsau posted:

People play counterspells and removal? I can't imagine that Freed deck beating Izzet Delver ever.

Wouldn't Gigadrowse go a long way to helping that?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Wouldn't Gigadrowse go a long way to helping that?

Good luck living long enough to find the combo and a Gigadrowse and make enough land drops, and even then they can still Sprite/Counter one or two of the copies to keep up a Bolt or counter.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

My Mono Blue Delver opponent just had this sequence on the draw:

Turn 1 Island, Ponder
Turn 2 Island, Faerie Miscreant, go
Turn 3 float UU, Gush, play Island, try to pass turn

I Capsized their island without buyback, and they discarded three cards and had a 1/1 flier and no lands in play. I won that game. I then drew 9 lands and a map and 9 other spells, none of which were creatures so my opponent killed me, then I kept a hand with Tron, Gut Shot and Serrated Arrows and drew 8 lands 5 spells, no colored mana, then drew 6 more colored spells in a row while my opponent beat me to death with a Spire Golem. Welp.

e: lol just timed out for the first time in forever, against a Boros opponent with 30 seconds left, because game 1 the client completely hosed itself. Highlights include me managing to tap a Prism with only colorless mana floating and ending up with only colorless mana floating, tapping a Tranquil Cove to try to Flicker and not having blue, then being able to tap that tapped Cove for the mana, and spells showing up as cast in the log without actually doing anything on the battlefield for 5 seconds. Hooray.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 28, 2018

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
ASH BARRENS :unsmith:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Do Hordeling Outburst and Frenzied Goblin allow for anything interesting, or does Electrickery continue to invalidate decks with x/1s?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Cool set for pauper, we get to play a bad rats deck, a worse goblins deck and people who missed out can get a playset of Ash Barrens for a reasonable price.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So as the :swoon: over the Ash Barrens spoiler begins to fade, I'm left with some big questions: how low do we expect the card to drop and when I should I jump on them to get the 12ish I want to get?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i built a couple of pauper decks, but haven't actually played yet (at least against another pauper deck). i own three ash barrens, and none are in either deck: mono-blue delver and bg aristocrats. should i bother putting ash barrens in either deck? i can't see loving with the mana in bg, and i'd hate to miss double blue in delver on turn 2.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ash Barrens is not necessary in mono blue Delver (especially if you're running Spire Golem). The UR Delver decks run it to 1) get their Mountain and 2) as a shuffle effect for Brainstorm.

The BG deck might get some value out of Barrens, but it's hard to say without seeing the manabase.

Barrens is at its best in three color decks or decks with a light splash and (imo) is generally better than Terramorphic/Evolving Wilds, especially if you have bouncelands.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Some Numbers posted:

Ash Barrens is not necessary in mono blue Delver (especially if you're running Spire Golem). The UR Delver decks run it to 1) get their Mountain and 2) as a shuffle effect for Brainstorm.

The BG deck might get some value out of Barrens, but it's hard to say without seeing the manabase.

Barrens is at its best in three color decks or decks with a light splash and (imo) is generally better than Terramorphic/Evolving Wilds, especially if you have bouncelands.

gotcha, thanks

i'll probably finish out my playset anyway just in case i get way into the format

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/965255#paper

5-0 with this last night. The maindeck Deep Analysis is alright and it freed up space for the third Hydroblast even if obviously I haven't played against burn in the two leagues since I made that change. This Tron version sacrifices a LOT of percentage against a lot of decks compared to the Familiars version just to not be a dog to Tron. Like, I think I could win 9 out of 10 matches against Stompy or Elves with the Familiars version, but it feels like I'm only winning two out of three with the Tron version.
  • Still well positioned against the Forest decks, but not the hugely, embarassingly lopsided results that the Familiars version can pull off.
  • The random white weenie decks are still cakewalks since their clocks are too slow.
  • Boros matchup is actually better for the Tron version since you don't get owned by Molten Rain as hard since you can Pulse back lands and have no bouncelands, and you don't have Familiars as easy Bolt targets.
  • The grindy UB matches are still greatly favorable but without Snaps Gurmag Angler isn't as much of a joke, though it's still an extremely weak threat since it just gets chumped or Stonehorned or ignored. Multiple early Gurmags can be a problem if you don't hit Tron by turn 7 or whatever.
  • Burn is probably a worse matchup since Lone Missionary is great, but Pulse does good work and you don't enable Searing Blaze as often.
  • Gush-based combo decks are still bad matchups where they can just kill you on turn 2 or 3 and you can't stop them.
  • The Delver matchup is favorable, both U and UR, but it's super frustrating drawing zero Oracles or Mulldrifters because you can just get into a situation where you are badly flooded and can't do anything while your opponent just builds up more and more counterspells and beats you to death with one or two threats. The maindeck Deep Analysis helps with that but I still want another draw creature or a big draw spell for Teachings. Multiple times I've gotten into a situation where its turn 8 and I have seen 9 lands, 3 Maps/Prisms, a Pulse, a Wall, a Teachings and four Pyroblasts/Gut Shots/other counters and I just can't actually do anything because I haven't seen an Oracle or Mulldrifter.
Deck's still good but it's far from perfect. If it could play 8 Mulldrifters and 8 Prisms it'd be stellar.

Some Numbers posted:

So as the :swoon: over the Ash Barrens spoiler begins to fade, I'm left with some big questions: how low do we expect the card to drop and when I should I jump on them to get the 12ish I want to get?

Get as many as you need at $1. Mishra's Bauble went from $20-30 to $4.50. Ash Barrens has much lower demand and starts from $8, so hopefully it'll go pretty low.

There's a chance that A25 is undraftable garbage with little value and doesn't get opened much but we'll see.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Get as many as you need at $1. Mishra's Bauble went from $20-30 to $4.50. Ash Barrens has much lower demand and starts from $8, so hopefully it'll go pretty low.
This is good news, I didn't realize Bauble cratered that much. Card Kingdom is preordering M25 Barrens at $2 each and I'm seriously considering jumping on that.

quote:

There's a chance that A25 is undraftable garbage with little value and doesn't get opened much but we'll see.
Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I just bought a set of Ash Barrens. Didn't think it fit the concept of Masters 25, but now I can pick up more for cheap so I'm not too bummed.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

So I already play a bunch on xmage, but I've been considering getting on mtgo for pauper.

Is this a dumb idea? If not, what would be the best way to go about starting out? I've seen a few pages talking about buying cards from bots, and I tried to watch that Saffron Olive guy's video about getting started, but that dude's voice is worse than nails on a chalkboard.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hey man, Saffron Olive's an okay guy even if he can't pronounce words to save his life

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

He's an okay guy, but I'm with Kabuki, his voice is incredibly grating.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

So I already play a bunch on xmage, but I've been considering getting on mtgo for pauper.

Is this a dumb idea? If not, what would be the best way to go about starting out? I've seen a few pages talking about buying cards from bots, and I tried to watch that Saffron Olive guy's video about getting started, but that dude's voice is worse than nails on a chalkboard.

The MTGO client is absolutely shameful and makes playing Magic online substantially less fun. On the other hand it's like $50 to grab a deck and start battling. Check mtgowikiprice.com and mtggoldfish for card prices.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
XMage still manages to be worse as a program than MTGO yet still better because you don't have to pay for anything

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I use mtgotraders to buy decks it's just too easy.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Is wizards still charging to make new MTGO accounts because that was nuts.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

uPen posted:

Is wizards still charging to make new MTGO accounts because that was nuts.

:10bux: to keep the riff raff out, obviously

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

welp just went 5-0 twice in leagues with Stonehorn Tron, with four Stonehorns and one Moment's Peace maindeck to Teachings for, and to lock out creature decks if you draw two Walls and a flicker and no Stonehorns. It worked extremely well, and it was never more dead than a Serrated Arrows would have been. Honestly I'm probably going to just need to play a whole boatload of matches against Delver and figure out which build is best against that, since all the other matches don't really change that much, and if I can find some build that crushes Delver as hard as it crushes the other aggro decks while still winning the grindy matchups, that'll be the best deck for the metagame.

I'm currently 44-16 in leagues after my 5-2 in the Challenge last weekend, a ludicrous winrate of 73%. For reference I was only 74.5% with Drake. If anyone plays blazing fast on MTGO, please try this deck out for a bit because I dunno if I'm just great or if the deck is great or what. The time-out issue makes this deck incapable of being widely played which may help since people won't learn to play against it, or it might hurt since I can't really take other players' ideas. I suspect I'm getting benefits from people not playing particularly well, as well as gaining an edge from having an unusual build. People are bringing in absurd poo poo like Scattershot Archer or Spidersilk Armor or Hydroblast, or leaving in stuff like Essence Warden or Wellwisher or Journey to Nowhere and it's giving me a lot of free wins.

Relic of Progenitus is still garbage, please never put that card in your sideboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

New Masters 25 downshifts:

https://scryfall.com/search?q=set%3Aa25+new%3Ararity+rarity%3Acommon

Court Hussar is real sweet but doesn't fit in Flicker Tron or in Familiars (if you have two Familiars you cannot pay white mana) so I guess it's great in UW control if that ever becomes a thing. Frenzied Goblin and Jackal Pup are good one mana creatures for red decks and Pillage is a very versatile sideboard card. Relentless Rats is funny. Savannah Lions isn't good enough (Elite Vanguard has seen nearly no play with a much more useful creature type) and Ruthless Ripper isn't good enough for constructed. That's about it.

RDW becomes substantially better and more consistent with another set of 2 power one drops, Goblins gets to run Frenzied Goblin as a way to push damage through against the opponent's first blocker, people get to lose a lot with Relentless Rats decks, and UW non-Flicker non-Familiar decks get an extremely great creature. That's pretty goddamn minor. The fact that Green got Ainok Survivalist as its only downshift sucks since it already had Nantuko Vigilante, and Black got Ruthless Ripper which isn't good enough and Relentless Rats which is cool and useless, makes this kind of a bummer of a set for Pauper. The worst colors did not improve.