Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I try to ff a little and get some more info on infiltration, but there's an immediate alert. We weren't that thorough on making sure to catch em all.

Alert -- Flyer Two:
Owner: Megapol. Function: Flyer Factory.
S1: poverty goat, havent heard a peep, Cobra Lionfist, mind the walrus
S2: The Protagonist, Chillgamesh, William Henry Hairytaint, SnotGrumble
S3: nnnotime, reality_groove, PenguinSalsa, Akratic Method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDoplkZatdE
We did the small version of this factory a couple times in Marsec's "Large Flyer Factory." This one seems very dense. Relatively topographically complex.

Lotta cars. Some verticality to the map. Better be careful.

S1 takes the middle of the map, S2 heads towards a basement ramp. S3 investigates various offices. S2 makes contact:

There's no way to engage without completely loving up the building. We'll have to see if they'll come towards us.

Salsa picks up two bright as gently caress fast moving signatures. May be poppers. Having our guys look around a little proves they're below us. I have No peek down an access lift and we're into trouble.
https://i.imgur.com/yz8C7XB.gifv
Their counter is less than effective:
https://i.imgur.com/girQcV9.gifv
We're able to take out the snake. Taint tries brainwaves but it doesn't amount to much:
https://i.imgur.com/dgPlxfD.gifv

Akratic moves to flank and finds some various worms and yellows:

https://i.imgur.com/pgZm2sQ.gifv
gently caress, I forgot we left most of the ammo back at home, cheese it
https://i.imgur.com/czq7PTd.gifv

I try to get these blues taken care of but I gently caress up the clicks.
https://i.imgur.com/narSNVo.gifv

Well I gotta check up on mah bricks see if they're cured yet. Gonna finish this later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindstorm
Jan 28, 2011

Smellrose
I like that solid bar of contact above nnnotime's name. There's so many aliens there, I guess the aliens raided the police?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Aliens can raid but afaik they have not done it yet this game. They're doing their same usual poo poo: send in as many disgusting flesh heaps as they can and brain suck as many people as possible to assume control. It's just that some shlub clocked in for a shift at the car factory, saw a pulsating horror, and called space 911.

If nobody notices the creeps then infiltration will go up and we won't get notified. Every org that flips becomes our eternal enemy and will help breed more aliens in the city so that they don't need to do UFO drops to spread.

Without fighting infiltration we'll eventually get tag teamed out of the game by insane combat raids, or run out of cash, or otherwise get game over unless we become unbreakable juggernauts. So I've made sure to at least respond to alerts like this one, even if we haven't tried to methodically stomp out all infestations with 20 missions a day.

We've been doing pretty ok. There's not really a need to take the most optimized path or any of that. Shields have been a game changer on the ground, we need to get these probes online to do the same in the air, but we're at minimum like two weeks away.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Yeah, after this mission just speed it up a little and work on base 3. We should've been started on that probe earlier, it seems.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I mean it's going to take about a week just to build the big workshop, then it's gonna take something like ~6000(?) skill hours to build a single actual probe.

I can't remember how many guys are high skill but if we had ten flawless master engineers it'd take 6 hours to assemble the ship. So i'm just bullshiting up numbers but we're looking at minimum 8-10 days because we need to complete research on the workshop as well. In the meantime we can get some alien ship guns researched so it'll be a pretty good little ship -- never needs ammo, never needs fuel. It costs the same as two personal shields, so it's not the cheapest ship we can get but i'd say it's a potentially good thing to get a couple of those guys online. IMO it would obviously outperform any ship in its price range, except that it cannot hold equipment or carry agents at all.

So not like we should have had those out last week but it's going to take time to get from where we are now to getting that thing flying, and we need something that can get into the alien dimension before we can do anything that's not just gonna be increasingly frantic wack a mole in the city.

prob finish this mission off in like an hour or whatever

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://i.imgur.com/pT9mhWj.gifv
poo poo I just put penguin in a retarded situation
https://i.imgur.com/vEKRErK.gifv
next thing all I can say is holy gently caress. The aliens are dumb but sometimes they're smart as gently caress
https://i.imgur.com/vg79QxB.gifv
Penguin's the first agent to get really wounded since shields came out. Sorry bud
https://i.imgur.com/D6wtNO9.gifv
Those last readings make me think it's probably just these fuckin worms left.
https://i.imgur.com/kTAutje.gifv
I think i'm gonna be right on this guess. Brace for yackety sax on our part:
https://i.imgur.com/kyvMTCN.gifv

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Akratic shaping up to be a beast, and a lot of our organics are starting to get parity with our various terminators. We still have a lot of low improvement guys tho

Alien containment: Nothing new. We burn 4 skeletoids, 7 arthropods, 7 hyperworms, 2 multiworm, two brainsuckers, and a pair of eggs, in various stages between alive and dead. That's more than could fit in the freezer anyway.

We got some loot and now have 17 extra shields but nothing really groundbreaking.

Biology completes research on the mystery of alien testes.

No new biological breakthroughs otherwise. No available research.

We've got 8 dick launchers and 27 3-shot ballsacks available for dispersing alien goo. Any volunteers to test these in actual combat? They may be better than anticipated. It's worth a trial run imo.

Advanced workshop is now 76% complete. Pube gun is 23%.

infiltration:

pre:
   The Cult: 18% -2
     Evonet: 11% -1
Sensovision:  7% -2
  Synthmesh:  7% +7
    Megapol:  5% +5
    Solmine:  3% +3
     Diablo:  2% +2
I think probably Solmine and Diablo are most likely to increase without intervention but we won't actually know till it happens. Everything else we had a recent mission or is starting to drop on its own

The thread is mostly seeming to want to ⏭ so i'll putz around for a little while and then we'll update when the day passes and we get paid, or when the next thing happens -- unless someone wants another mission right the gently caress now.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
oh yeah, btw I was way fuckin wrong with the amount of skillhours it takes to make a probe. We're looking at 25 hours for each probe produced, not 6.

Engineering finishes production of some toxin, but we are out of storage space @ Enfield. I ship vast insane numbers of alien guns and weaponry to our second base
https://i.imgur.com/TTzc8TD.gifv
We're sitting on a lot of poo poo that's not even close to researched. Far more than could ever be concievibly used unless we bought all the bases and staffed them bristling with bloodthirsty agents.

I only shipped half the poo poo to Lauroon.

Diplomacy:
Allies: The Gov, The Cops, Diablo, Osiron(!)
Friendly: Sentient Engine Liberation Front
Neutral: Everyone else
Unfriendly: Transtellar, Nanotech
Hostile: The Cult, Nutrivend

Infiltration Changes:

pre:
   The Cult: 17% -1
     Evonet:  9% -2
Sensovision:  6% -1
  Synthmesh:  7%  0
    Solmine:  5% +2
     Diablo:  4% +2
    Megapol:  3% -2

Research is complete and now I guess we need thread input.

I'm gonna go ahead and sell some guns to pay for the construction. It'll take so long we will want to get started now. Until it's finished engineering will be working on toxin. I'm too liberal with shooting it all over the place and we still don't have enough guns for everyone to have a sidearm.

Pick some choices for physics research:
  1. Alien Artifact (28%): An alien beam weapon (pube gun)
  2. Alien Artifact: An intelligent alien proximity mine
  3. Alien Artifact: A powerful alien grenade
  4. Alien Artifact: An alien device which limits detection
  5. Light Disruptor Beam: A beam weapon deployed on alien craft
  6. UFO Type 3: Alien interdimensional craft (purp)
  7. UFO Type 4: Alien interdimensional craft (shitpile)
  8. UFO Type 6: Alien interdimensional craft (shwarma)
    What next?
  1. Raid:
    a) The Cult
    b) Nutrivend
  2. Investigate:
    a) The Cult (hostile)
    b) Evonet
    c) Sensovision
    d) Synthmesh
    e) Solmine
    f) Diablo (allied)
    g) The cops (allied)
  3. Get / Buy / Build something (write it in)

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 27, 2018

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Let's research the next step up from the probe so we can actually send our guys into alien territory: UFO Type 3: Alien interdimensional craft (purp) (with the large lab).

As for who to check out next... I dunno, either 2D Synthmesh or 2E Solmine? Everyone else with higher infiltration ratings looks like they're moving down.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Research vote:
Alien Artifact: A powerful alien grenade
-or-
Alien Artifact: An alien device which limits detection

Aliens get blown up better, and that is easier to do when you can see them (or when they can't see you, I'm not sure where this tech leads us).
EDIT: It's the latter. Voting go with it anyways.

Doing Stuff vote:
Synthmesh and Solmine do sound like good ideas.

Vanadium Dame fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 27, 2018

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I would guess that a probe isn't going to offer air superiority so you nerds should research some air stuff, like the UFO Type 3: Alien interdimensional craft (purp), after the pube gun is done

the littlest prince fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 27, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Durg i'm an idjit we can research the distruptor beam no problem. When you pick research you can pick a couple options. If you want you can specifiy what the big lab researches, otherwise i'll just add everything up, top winner will be in the big lab, 2nd place will be small lab

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Keep going with the pube gun, and start researching purps. Investigate Solmine.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 27, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
:siren: edited the vote, double check your poo poo if you give a gently caress, or don't :siren:

the littlest prince posted:

I would guess that a probe isn't going to offer air superiority so you nerds should research some air stuff, like the UFO Type 3: Alien interdimensional craft (purp)

IMO the probe is the best of the worst, air superiority wise. We could theoretically build a few and use them as a team. Whatever you guys want, honestly.

Prince of Space posted:

Let's research the next step up from the probe so we can actually send our guys into alien territory: UFO Type 3: Alien interdimensional craft (purp) (with the large lab).

As for who to check out next... I dunno, either 2D Synthmesh or 2E Solmine? Everyone else with higher infiltration ratings looks like they're moving down.

you do (sort of obviously) need to research the various UFOs to get leads on how to make the various ships, but if i find out you've been looking up the research tree :argh:
I don't even look it up and i forgot there was a dick gun.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Continue to investigate Pube Gun, also start researching Light Disruptor, need something to hurt the alien craft.

Investigate either Synthmesh or Solmine. Or raid Nutrivend since we can plunder resources for more base expansion.

Was happy to get two grenades off in the last mission. Can't wait for the bigger Pube gun, will gently caress once I have it, of course.

mindstorm posted:

I like that solid bar of contact above nnnotime's name.
I prefer it when the contacts are solid: better for my grenades.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

"Hey, we've got some of those new slime guns here!"

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Research pube gun

Investigate Solmine

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Research pube gun

Investigate Solmine

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Alright we transfer the needed resources. Pube gun will be in the big lab, UFO Type 3 will be in the small lab.

I also hire more nerds so the small lab is fully staffed. This leaves us with practically no money until payday but we only have a few hours off so leaving the engineering bays idle for a minute isn't a big deal imo. They're not completely staffed either, so we should be able to get them fully hired out when the government assistance check comes in.

We're totally wiped on toxin ammo again. 0 in stock. We also need more stun grenades, swords, etc.

Solmine only has 3 buildings: two warehouses and an office. It's kinda hard to tell where the aliens might be, because both warehouses are pretty close to where recent missions have been. Going by tube connections it really could be any of the three. Hopefully they won't be overly pissed if we guess wrong.

While we move our guys i go ahead and move some ships out into the city, in case of UFO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mZvARd0hY0
Investigation -- Warehouse Eight:
Owner: Solmine. Function: Warehouse.
S1: poverty goat, havent heard a peep, mind the walrus, Markoff Chaney
S2: Cobra Lionfist, The Protagonist, Chillgamesh, SnotGrumble
S3: Fart Puzzle, nnnotime, William Henry Hairytaint, reality_groove

This is next door to our second base, between us and the construction factory. 2 close 4 comfort

We load all jammed into one room. I think this is going to be a quick mission. Probably all the aliens who are out in the city now are just scragglers who escaped our brutal onslaught. Hopefully.

We fan out. It's another one that's a two room building with basement / upper level seems like it will be half room half gantry. Basically a repeat of the "Chill electroshocks worms for 8 turns" or the last warehouse mission where Snot got a popper detonated on his face.

Taint makes contact, i have Peep support:
https://i.imgur.com/Wp6BRXC.gifv
Sometimes i just hate this loving game. You can't lob that? Really? We fall back but they don't take the bait. We'll need to push to keep them from running again.
https://i.imgur.com/AsdsY8P.gifv
On the upper floor Chill spots a chrysalis and that blue guy. Dunno where the worm is. Either in the lift or hiding behind some railing'd be my guess. Fart takes out the yellow but can't get back to cover. Everyone else will have to move up.
https://i.imgur.com/l5JYfZZ.gifv
Taint kills the other blue but i didn't catch it. Protag spots the worm in the lift
https://i.imgur.com/zKeNltC.gifv
It didn't run out the other side because Peep was up there and it got spooked. Sort of surprised it didn't go down into the basement. Groove and Chill stun the gently caress out of it.

Once again, no new samples of any kind.
    What next?
  1. Raid:
    a) The Cult
    b) Nutrivend
  2. Investigate:
    a) The Cult (hostile)
    b) Evonet
    c) Sensovision
    d) Synthmesh
    e) Diablo (allied)
    f) The Cops (allied)
  3. Get / Buy / Build something (write it in)

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar
⏭ Lets get paid.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Fast forward to payday.

Also, on an "allied" investigation, do the security forces help us fight the aliens?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
No, and it's dumb as gently caress that you would have to fight hostiles but don't get support from allies.

The game can be modded to force it but it may bug out. I suspect the way the ai is set up you might not be able to have allies, although this is probably wrong because security stations are technically allied units under computer control. We can try the mod and see what happens. They may act as if they're neutral.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

quote:

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SniperWoreConverse posted:

No, and it's dumb as gently caress that you would have to fight hostiles but don't get support from allies.

LOL commander if you think some rent-a-cop is going to give his life to protect the Sensovision warehouse instead of going to take a smoke break when you show up and tell him "there's skeletons in your closets and they brought pube guns and goo launchers." And agents, don't act all surprised when security guard draw on you when you're finally there to hunt aliens unlike the last 3 "investigations" where we ripped off their drugs and big screen senso-visions. They probably don't even realize the aliens are there, they're just pissed off at you.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

Def time to fast forward. Nice to see I'm slowly improving, much better than being dead at least. It's crazy how fast some of our guys are improving though, better test them for performance enhancing drugs and then have the folks in bio make enough for everyone

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I saw a couple guys drinking something in the armory last night. It kind of looked like Toxin A but they swore left and right it was rat poison.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Dong Quixote posted:

LOL commander if you think some rent-a-cop is going to give his life to protect the Sensovision warehouse instead of going to take a smoke break when you show up and tell him "there's skeletons in your closets and they brought pube guns and goo launchers." And agents, don't act all surprised when security guard draw on you when you're finally there to hunt aliens unlike the last 3 "investigations" where we ripped off their drugs and big screen senso-visions. They probably don't even realize the aliens are there, they're just pissed off at you.

Look, these are LEGALLY AUTHORIZED unscheduled alien inspections. We have the FULLEST SUPPORT OF THE SENATE to investigate alien influence as we see fit. This includes the retrieval of dangerous alien artifacts. The lack of support from the citizenry is disappointing. In fact, it may not be a mere lack of patriotism...

Fart Puzzle posted:

Def time to fast forward. Nice to see I'm slowly improving, much better than being dead at least. It's crazy how fast some of our guys are improving though, better test them for performance enhancing drugs and then have the folks in bio make enough for everyone

It's heavily governed by happenstance. Agents are incapable of learning from mistakes for some reason, so a lucky shot tends to snowball and they become better shots with faster reactions, and tend to end up in better positions to take more shots, etc.

We're going to have to adjust training schedules so that the weakest wimps (especially mutants) are in combat training just to keep up, and the strongest will possibly have to get shoved outta the gym.

I'd put them in the psi lab just so they get some passive benefit, but don't think getting high all day expanding their minds is a reward for flashy show off moves like killing 8 aliens in three seconds, this is merely an administrative decision for the benefit of all agents and the organization as a whole.

Good talk guys. Also the books are coming up a little short, please recall that using workshops to prepare 8-oxabicyclo(3.3.1)- 5-hydroxy-4-oxo-non-2-ene (A) or other resource intensive products is not allowed unless authorized. Hilarious pranks like synthesizing a coffee mug that releases "worm funk" when exposed to heated fluids are alright still we need to keep up morale.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The psi chamber is just Joe Rogan’s garage

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
I so hard right now. Full Senate support hard.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbbuaIA3Ds

so what do we wanna do with this incredible wealth?

First thing's first, we got guys on the list.
Sick Ness Monster has pretty good stats. Used to work at the same sewage facility we had that mission at last week.

I think i'm gonna have him go with sword & sensor

Cantorsdust Jr feels the engrams activate and comes online. No bullshit this guy is recruited from "Heavenly Towers," The building that's over Enfield.

not sure, potentially heavy weapons o this guy

If anyone want a specific loadout speak up. If you want a specific training say something, otherwise I need to shuffle these guys around quite a bit.

People were mentioning bases, there are four available:
1)
2)
3)
4)

So we have some flexibility here. Until we have more stuff researched most of our money is locked up in artifacts we can't move on the market. Basically the warehouse scene from Lost Ark. If the thread votes to buy a third base we'll have a vote over what one and what to do with it, but feel free to bullshit about it or w/e. I'm pretty sure we can swing any of these buildings and stay functional. #1 may be a little tight.

Science dept:

Pube gun is 33%. UFO3 is 15%. If anyone wants to refocus that's alright. We keep progress if we decide to swap to a diff topic

We also have enough to hire more engineers. what do we wanna focus on for them? Just keep up with toxin? It's both the thing we use most and the best profit.

Infiltration Report:

pre:
   The Cult: 16% (-2)
     Evonet:  9% (-2)
  Synthmesh:  8% (+1)
     Diablo:  6% (+4)
Sensovision:  5% (-2)
    Solmine:  5% (+2)
    Megapol:  3% (+1)

City Report:

The damage to our buildings is repaired (mostly cosmetic). The cops cause a pretty massive cave in for the overpass near the senate. Guess there was some gangsters driving around. No raids or suicide bombs or anything.

What next?
  1. Raid:
    a) The Cult
    b) Nutrivend
  2. Investigate:
    a) The Cult (hostile)
    b) Evonet
    c) Synthmesh
    d) Diablo (allied)
    e) Sensovision
    f) Solmine
    G) The Cops (allied)
  3. Get new base
  4. Get more ships

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Yeah hire more engineers then idk maybe a cheap base, drop some dudes in it and fast forward? Or if we don't need the space just fast forward.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Let's hire some more engineers, get a new base, and investigate Diablo (it seems like they have a fast-growing alien infestation). Hold off on buying new ships until the physics research / advanced lab is done and we can get the good stuff.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I don't know which of the base layouts are better. Can you give a brief rundown of which of those you listed are good and why?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cantorsdust posted:

I don't know which of the base layouts are better. Can you give a brief rundown of which of those you listed are good and why?

1)
Size is 23
Pros: could probably fit like 4 big size labs or workshops
Cons: Expensive, harder to defend

2)
Size is 21
Pros: easier to defend, could probably fit 4 big labs if we skip defense
Cons: Little bit expensive. Smallest.

3)
Size is 31
Pros: good defense, good shape for like 6 4s. Cheap. Biggest.
Cons: Not really any

4)
Size is 23
Pros: Best defense hands down. Cheap. Can fit 4 4s even with defensive buildings.
Cons: Building a garage would turbofuck the defensibility of this building. E: not really that bad, but I wouldn't recommend putting a garage here

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 1, 2018

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

If we do end up getting a new base, let's get layout 3. In addition to the benefits listed, the location (in conjunction with our other bases) seems to give us good coverage if we put a garage in it, as well.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Buy engineers

Investigate Diablo

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Thanks for the write up. Sounds like we should buy base 3. Investigate whoever you think you can get away with without pissing them off.

Sick Ness Monster
Dec 25, 2016
Finally - my skills with the plunger will translate well to the blade.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Dong Quixote posted:

Buy engineers

Investigate Diablo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Sick Ness Monster posted:

Finally - my skills with the plunger will translate well to the blade.

While you wasted time with the plunger, I studied the blade.
While you engaged in alien sex, I mastered the blockchain.
While you spend months in the psi-gym for vanity, I cultivated inner strength.
Now that the world is on fire and the barbarians are at the dimension gate you have the audacity to come to me for help?

• Locked thread