Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Celexi posted:

haha google releasing another chat client

it must be hazing new product managers at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

im never standardizing was a tragedy of the commons. if your userbase was smaller than your competitor's, you really wanted to federate. if yours was bigger, you would never want to.

there is a standard im and has been since the 90s, it's called SMS

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/ianbuhman/status/968486323224039425

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

there is a standard im and has been since the 90s, it's called SMS

don't be dense fishmech. i'm talking about actual im with basic features like presence and read receipt.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

don't be dense fishmech. i'm talking about actual im with basic features like presence and read receipt.

aim didn't have read receipts and the presence thing was only partially working.

SMS is the standard im and the sooner everyone accepts that reality the better.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

no im has managed to do what MSN did in 2001: custom emoticons, with a generous size limit, and animated gif support, that the other person doesn't need to have downloaded already

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

THC posted:

no im has managed to do what MSN did in 2001: custom emoticons, with a generous size limit, and animated gif support, that the other person doesn't need to have downloaded already

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

msn had bold/italics. i like emphasizing things and all caps is too much

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

each person got to choose their own message font and colour but the font had to be installed on the other person's computer

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

fishmech posted:

aim didn't have read receipts and the presence thing was only partially working.

SMS is the standard im and the sooner everyone accepts that reality the

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

two only use hangouts
two only use whatsapp
one uses whatsapp or hangouts seemingly at random
one only uses instagram
two only use SMS messages
one only uses steam chat
one only uses skype
and a bunch more keep bugging me to use facebook but i won't.

or just 1 bowl of total

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

actually facebook seems to easily be the most popular for normals

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

when hangouts launched it lacked presence because their argument was "you always have your phone so youre always available"

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

who else remembers meetro

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

when hangouts launched it lacked presence because their argument was "you always have your phone so youre always available"

that's insanely dumb, the point of a presence status is to specifically indicate whether or not you want to receive ims, not if you are physically present/conscious

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
excuse me, but i think you mean gnu/hand

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Facebook is where people you don’t keep in touch with contact you.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

carry on then posted:

the fact that you can't tell really says a lot about your opinions here in the pos

time to upgrade that netbook of yours

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

actually facebook seems to easily be the most popular for normals

it definitely is, but my moral standards prevent me from using it

fishmech posted:

SMS is the standard im and the sooner everyone accepts that reality the better.

aim wasn't the best IM platform, either. i personally really dislike read receipts but presence/status is important.

SMS is device-centric, while a proper IM platform needs to be account-centric. it shouldn't matter whether i log in from my phone or my computer or my laptop -- i should always be able to pull up my conversation history and use it seamlessly. whatsapp fails this metric too (you can use it on a computer but only by connecting to your phone).

gchat was the epitome of instant messaging and hangouts is still not too bad, but would be way better if it had an open native client.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Microsoft Windows MSN Windows Live Windows Messenger was the pinnacle of messaging platforms, nothing else even comes close

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Sagebrush posted:

aim wasn't the best IM platform, either. i personally really dislike read receipts but presence/status is important.

SMS is device-centric, while a proper IM platform needs to be account-centric. it shouldn't matter whether i log in from my phone or my computer or my laptop -- i should always be able to pull up my conversation history and use it seamlessly. whatsapp fails this metric too (you can use it on a computer but only by connecting to your phone).

gchat was the epitome of instant messaging and hangouts is still not too bad, but would be way better if it had an open native client.

doesn’t iMessage do this between your iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, and MacBook Pro?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

doesn’t iMessage do this between your iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, and MacBook Pro?

ah, 4 things no one has.

ic

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

correct

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

THC posted:

Microsoft Windows MSN Windows Live Windows Messenger was the pinnacle of messaging platforms, nothing else even comes close

third party clients were funny. the nudge timer was client side so you could grief people easy, and some clients had half broken features like “tell who blocked you or deleted you” that just caused fights. the platform was poo poo though and untrustworthy, I remember dumb teen peers getting hosed by cops for my_crimes.txt

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

flakeloaf posted:

Time is ripe for another trillian to unite the chat clients
believe it or not trillian is still around and for the past like ten years they've been trying desperately to pivot to enterprise https://trillian.im

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

give yourself a chinese name so no one can search you, then just use it for chat and the odd page/event that's only on facebook.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

RCS is the future*

*at some point

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

not to harp on this, but not wanting facebook is a sensible enough choice, but messenger is separate from facebook itself, and certainly a far lesser leap than getting on instagram

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also read receipts and "... is typing" are terrible features

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also read receipts and "... is typing" are terrible features

said the wrongest person ever

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LastInLine posted:

said the wrongest person ever

typing is bad but read receipts are great

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

iMessage is the most good and correct blue-bubbled form of encrypted messaging going today

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

THC posted:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

typing is bad but read receipts are great

same but opposite

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jinglenuts is typing.
Jinglenuts is typing..
Jinglenuts is typing...
Jinglenuts is typing..
Jinglenuts is typing.
Jinglenuts is typing..
Jinglenuts is typing...
Jinglenuts is typing..
Jinglenuts is typing.
Jinglenuts is typing..
Jinglenuts is typing...
Jinglenuts is typing..

k

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

your one needy friend ruined read receipts

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

St Evan Echoes posted:

thousands of needy single male nerds who won't take gently caress off for an answer ruined read receipts

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the best “typing...” message is the easter eggs in skype

hold c, a, and t for a cat
mash keys for pencil breaking animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the best “typing...” message is the easter eggs in skype

hold c, a, and t for a cat
mash keys for pencil breaking animation

old school easter eggs are great until you realize they also mean that the software probably has someone on the nsa's take sliding backdoors in left and right :tinfoil:

• Locked thread