Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Silver Arrows cause lag in crowded areas due to the sparkles it gives off while it's being launched, so I guess you should use wooden arrows if you want to save frames. Except Silver Arrows are overpowered to hell, so if you've got good aim, the time lost from lag seems like a moot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think Misery Mire would be the easiest* to beat via keysanity.

Since I think one key is "optional" at least to complete the dungeon. Of course if the the other key ends up being required to get a progress item, then, welp.

*By virtue of not needing every key to complete, not by actual difficulty curve.

e: also 5/5 for FP laughing to the music when he makes it to the desert palace.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 26, 2018

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

get that OUT of my face posted:

Silver Arrows cause lag in crowded areas due to the sparkles it gives off while it's being launched, so I guess you should use wooden arrows if you want to save frames. Except Silver Arrows are overpowered to hell, so if you've got good aim, the time lost from lag seems like a moot point.

Sometimes.

It can be a looot of lag.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So I gave the randomizer a try, tried the Pedestal Mode. Which makes it so that you clear the game once you get the three pendants and pull out the Triforce from the Master Sword Pedestal. Figured I'd do something short.

One of the pedestals is in the Swamp Palace, which you need the magic Mirror for.

And I decided to spoil myself on just the magic mirror location. The Magic Mirror is in... Ganon's Tower, which means I have to clear all the crystal dungeons to get it.

So much for that being a short one!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Xenoveritas posted:

Skull Woods is mostly dead ends and worthless. There's surprisingly little you need to visit to get all potential items within it.

Well yeah I know that now. I'm just so used to going through only the required segments that I had no idea what was lying around the rest of the dungeon.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think Misery Mire would be the easiest* to beat via keysanity.

Since I think one key is "optional" at least to complete the dungeon. Of course if the the other key ends up being required to get a progress item, then, welp.

*By virtue of not needing every key to complete, not by actual difficulty curve.

e: also 5/5 for FP laughing to the music when he makes it to the desert palace.

This all depends on what items you're given in the randomizer. I know the central door behind the entrance of the Palace of Darkness doesn't need to be unlocked to beat it and get all the items if you're already going in with the hammer. There's at least one door that can be skipped in the Ice Palace as long as you have the Cane of Somaria. I think you miss out on an item if you leave it though.

There's like two or three superfluous keys for Skull Woods too, even in the standard game :v:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 26, 2018

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

FPzero posted:

We decide to be smart guys and go visit Misery Mire much earlier than any reasonable person ever would.

Next set of videos will start going up once I've had a chance to finish editing them all.

Why did you stand around for the tiles to finish missing you when you could have just walked to the keys and opened the doors?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Trasson posted:

Why did you stand around for the tiles to finish missing you when you could have just walked to the keys and opened the doors?

Because thinking is not my strong suit.

Real answer: Because either I forgot that the keys were under the pots until after the fact or didn't feel like dodging tiles while trying to remember which pot the key is under because despite running a randomizer here I don't actually remember everything's location.

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
I started up a keysanity run after watching the videos, and it was going really smoothly until now. I need one key each to finish Ganon's tower and the Dark Palace, of all places, but I can't think of any overworld spots I haven't exhausted. I have basically everything unlocked now, except these two keys, and none of the other dungeons show an unopened chest. Not sure if I feel like roaming over literally every square of the map for one of these two keys!

Edit: Yeah, checking the cheat file, it looks like both contain a key to the other behind locked doors, so I guess I am just hosed? Kind of anticlimactic.

The Happy Hyperbole fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 27, 2018

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
On my last randomizer run I somehow ended up with 221 out of 216 items collected and I am very confused.

The Happy Hyperbole, there's probably a key under a pot or something you've missed. I know there's one under a pot in the basement of Ganon's Tower that's pretty easy to miss if you don't know it's there for example.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I took the randomizer out for a spin after watching the LP and a couple other videos. For a while I thought I had a really interesting progression going but then it turns out sll the critical progression items I was working my way through dungeons to find were just in a random cave I overlooked. That's my main complaint with the randomizer; it's so rare that progression items actually wind up in dungeons that every run seems to turn into "loot all the important items in the overworld and then go beat whatever dungeons."

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

I managed to finish the Dark Palace and got a full heart for the troubles, but even after cracking every skull in Ganon's Tower I am still down one key. This is literally the very last item in the entire game, I have no idea where it could even be! Ugh. I think I might just have to chalk this one up to some seriously terrible luck.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

I managed to finish the Dark Palace and got a full heart for the troubles, but even after cracking every skull in Ganon's Tower I am still down one key. This is literally the very last item in the entire game, I have no idea where it could even be! Ugh. I think I might just have to chalk this one up to some seriously terrible luck.

If it's not in a dungeon then obviously it's laying about in some fuckoff cave somewhere. These are a few things that slipped my mind in my playthrough:

- tree near the lumberjack hut
- give King Zora $500
- the ridiculous number of caves in eastern Death Mountain (Dark World and Light)
- bug net kid
- throw powder on the shrine under the blacksmith
- the Master Sword pedestal (I never got a third pendant until WAY late)
- the ocarina grove if you're like me and got the shovel long after the instrument

Also don't forget the chest and shovel games.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 27, 2018

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mak0rz posted:

If it's not in a dungeon then obviously it's laying about in some fuckoff cave somewhere. These are a few things that slipped my mind in my playthrough:

- tree near the lumberjack hut
- give King Zora $500
- the ridiculous number of caves in eastern Death Mountain (Dark World and Light)
- throw powder on the shrine under the blacksmith
- the Master Sword pedestal (I never got a third pendant until WAY late)
- the ocarina grove if you're like me and got the shovel long after the instrument

Also don't forget the chest and shovel games.

Another couple to check would be there's a cave above Swamp Palace with 4 chests behind a bomb wall and a man in the cave. Talk to him for an item. The same can be said of the similar cave in the Light world with the mini moldorms guarding a man and 4 or 5 chests. Don't forget to talk to the man there.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FPzero posted:

Another couple to check would be there's a cave above Swamp Palace with 4 chests behind a bomb wall and a man in the cave. Talk to him for an item. The same can be said of the similar cave in the Light world with the mini moldorms guarding a man and 4 or 5 chests. Don't forget to talk to the man there.

IT'S A SECRET
TO EVERYBODY.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Straight White Shark posted:

I took the randomizer out for a spin after watching the LP and a couple other videos. For a while I thought I had a really interesting progression going but then it turns out sll the critical progression items I was working my way through dungeons to find were just in a random cave I overlooked. That's my main complaint with the randomizer; it's so rare that progression items actually wind up in dungeons that every run seems to turn into "loot all the important items in the overworld and then go beat whatever dungeons."

Yeah, most randomizers don't produce especially crazy game-states, because the REALLY weird poo poo is still statistically unlikely; most of the time you're going to find, like, the gloves, hammer, and moon pearl by the time you've cleared Kakariko and the southern loop. It still makes a big difference for speedrunning where it legitimately CAN force you into weird circumstances because you're fighting to save time anywhere you can.

If you want REALLY weird stuff, there are people out there crafting custom seeds that are designed to encourage fuckery, like making you rely on bees for your attacks in a completely swordless seed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vbuv9fUU-A Not sure where you can find patch files for Wizzrobe's seeds, admittedly.

Mak0rz posted:

By far the most likely candidate. It's easy to forget about, say, Spiral Cave. Or the Cane of Byrna spike cave. Or the Mimic enemy cave which can only be accessed by walking out onto a ledge near the end of Turtle Rock dungeon and MIRRORING BACK INTO THE LIGHT WORLD TO GET TO A TINY-rear end HIDDEN CAVE.

That said, who knows. It could be, like, the Light World Forest Thieve's Hideout, or something.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You have zero GT small keys? Because all you need is one and the big key to clear if you ignore the lower levels.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kyrosiris posted:

You have zero GT small keys? Because all you need is one and the big key to clear if you ignore the lower levels.

Also, now that I think about it...

This is literally the very last item in the entire game, I have no idea where it could even be! Ugh.

Literally the last item? As in you're sure you got everything else, including all 26 other items in Ganon's Tower, and are still able to beat the game? Then I'd wager it's in a chest somewhere behind a locked door. Sometimes the hack does that (intended behavior, not a bug). Usually it's possible to get 100% in Keysanity, but not always!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 27, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Doesn't one of the helmasaurs in Ganon's Tower drop a small key?

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

It's been a while since I did Ganon's tower period, and so I dicked around in the basement getting items. Whoops!

Mak0rz posted:

Also, now that I think about it...

Literally the last item? As in you're sure you got everything else, including all 26 other items in Ganon's Tower, and are still able to beat the game? Then I'd wager it's in a chest somewhere behind a locked door. Sometimes the hack does that (intended behavior, not a bug). Usually it's possible to get 100% in Keysanity, but not always!

I'm at 26/27 in Ganon's tower, or whatever it is exactly, and every weird place mentioned in the thread so far I have already been to. I'm at full hearts, every item and upgrade, and I have legit run out of every single nook and cranny I know about. The only thing I can think of is maybe I missed a thing I have to knock off of a pillar with the boots, since I got those late, but I haven't seen any in the other dungeons when I went back and made sure they were all fully looted.

I think I'm just boned.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They either don't or I already got it because I just went through the entire tower and broke every skull and killed every enemy to make certain. RIP.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

One of the two on the way up in the room with two chests in it drops a key. This is why you only need one small key on the way up, you can get the second one you need from that.

And, yes, the randomizer can and will place keys such that it's potentially impossible to get them. I've gotten seeds that stick the Big Key in the Big Chest before, and I'd assume the same can happen for dead-end rooms where you'd only need the key to get the key.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, come to think, if you're at 26/27, the very last chest is from Moldorm 2; it spawns after you kill him, so you can hookshot to it and get to Agahnim 2. There's nothing else in the tower, so that chest has to be the 1 remaining thing for you to find. If it's a small key then that's a bug and you're hosed. Does the item counter track keys from pots/enemies?

There's only three items up on torches -- one in Desert Palace, one in Ganon's Tower (but it's super obvious so you wouldn't have missed it), and then the item in the library.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Did you get the small key in the basement room that has the conveyor belts and the star tiles that shuffle pits around? One of the pots in that room has a small key and it's a very common thing to snag depending on your routing if you're doing GT "normally" anyways. (normally in the context of non-Keysanity randomizer, etc.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
What's the most dickish way that the randomizer can troll you? Putting all the big keys inside of the other big key chests which eventually leads to the book that's necessary for the bow and arrow?

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Kurieg posted:

What's the most dickish way that the randomizer can troll you? Putting all the big keys inside of the other big key chests which eventually leads to the book that's necessary for the bow and arrow?

With keysanity, you can get some pretty amazing GT multi-dips if the GT big key is well-hidden. The worst I've played is just a double-dip, though: the GT big key was at lumberjacks, but there was a CT small key in GT. (Hookshot was in the second CT chest, so that was also a required CT double-dip.)

The worst I could imagine offhand would be something like:
Mire/Swamp/TR all pendants; TR green pendant
Sword upgrade on pedestal, sword upgrade on Bombos tablet, sword upgrade in GT big chest
Mirror in GT behind Armos Knights
Cape in Swamp first chest (giving Castle Tower access, since there's no way to get master sword yet)
Swamp small key in CT first chest
Red cane in Swamp - not sure if Arrghus or left side is trollier
One required medallion for TR or Mire on GT right-side, the other in GT tile room
Flute in TR big key chest
Ice rod in Mire on Vitreous
CT small key as green pendant reward
Boots in CT second chest
Mushroom on DP torch - no payoff
Shovel on GT torch - leads to CT small key
GT big key at lumberjacks

I'm sure that could be improved, but you get the idea. Probably the randomizer isn't going to do that to you anyway, right?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Depends on your definition of "most dickish." One of the more obnoxious things it can do is stick required items behind the green pendant and the Master Sword pedestal, since those require you to complete bosses you otherwise could have skipped.

Conceptually it's possible for it to stick the Moon Pearl inside the Dark World - there are two chests that are accessible as Bunny Link. I've never seen that and I don't know that No Glitches allows for that but it's theoretically possible.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Xenoveritas posted:

Conceptually it's possible for it to stick the Moon Pearl inside the Dark World - there are two chests that are accessible as Bunny Link. I've never seen that and I don't know that No Glitches allows for that but it's theoretically possible.

No Glitches won't stick the pearl in a DW chest (superbunny is a glitch), but checkerboard cave (the one accessed by mirroring from northeast of Mire) is definitely possible and extremely rude. Pyramid is the only actually-in-DW location that can have the pearl in No Glitches.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

No Glitches will never force you to do Super Bunny Cave as bunny Link, no.

Moon Pearl can be on the Pyramid Ledge, though.

e:f,b

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

My next run after my first victory actually had the pearl in the checkerboard cave, but that wasn't so bad because I got a bunch of poo poo I needed early on and it was plainly obvious the pearl was going to be there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Honestly I'd say the trollier things the randomizer can do are stuff like "you have to beat Mothula with fighter's sword, green tunic, and few hearts / no bottles". Like, sure in theory it can bounce you all over the place and make you double-dip in a bunch of dungeons, but having to do a low-level run in hard areas is pretty drat trolly.

Swordless Arghus (have fun with the menus!) and Blind (tiny hitbox on that hammer) are also not great, for that matter. So yeah, I'd say the most plausible nightmare scenario is putting sword upgrades in the pedestal and behind both tablets (or in similarly hard-to-access areas).

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I just reset if a seed ever makes me fight Moldorm without an upgraded sword. I mean I know you do that in the base game, but no, never again.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Max Peck posted:

With keysanity, you can get some pretty amazing GT multi-dips if the GT big key is well-hidden. The worst I've played is just a double-dip, though: the GT big key was at lumberjacks, but there was a CT small key in GT. (Hookshot was in the second CT chest, so that was also a required CT double-dip.)

The worst I could imagine offhand would be something like:
Mire/Swamp/TR all pendants; TR green pendant
Sword upgrade on pedestal, sword upgrade on Bombos tablet, sword upgrade in GT big chest
Mirror in GT behind Armos Knights
Cape in Swamp first chest (giving Castle Tower access, since there's no way to get master sword yet)
Swamp small key in CT first chest
Red cane in Swamp - not sure if Arrghus or left side is trollier
One required medallion for TR or Mire on GT right-side, the other in GT tile room
Flute in TR big key chest
Ice rod in Mire on Vitreous
CT small key as green pendant reward
Boots in CT second chest
Mushroom on DP torch - no payoff
Shovel on GT torch - leads to CT small key
GT big key at lumberjacks

I'm sure that could be improved, but you get the idea. Probably the randomizer isn't going to do that to you anyway, right?

This sounds like a hellish seed that should absolutely be made into a custom game using their Custom Game option and distributed as punishment to users here as a mod challenge.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So fair warning, in the Swamp Palace make sure you get key in the second floodable room before you actually hit the switch that floods it. This is totally not based off a personal experience or anything.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So fair warning, in the Swamp Palace make sure you get key in the second floodable room before you actually hit the switch that floods it. This is totally not based off a personal experience or anything.

The hack accounted for this. If you accidentally drown a key in Swamp Palace, just leave and re-enter it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I could have sworn I tried that. But it's been a very long weekend. I could very well be imagining things.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I could have sworn I tried that. But it's been a very long weekend. I could very well be imagining things.

I haven't run into the problem myself so I never tried it but here's what it says on this page:

quote:

The water levels within Swamp Palace will always revert to being drained when you exit the overworld screen. This prevents you accidentally drowning keys underwater and getting stuck!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I read about this too. This is taken from their Common Pitfalls Randomizer Guide (located here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eOabgvHCKqncO9JzZQR6T-b6yuTtAOuu3INZyOIRupM/edit )

quote:

If you flood the small key in the second switch room (left to the Big Chest room) without first acquiring the small key under the skull pot, you will be unable to progress in the dungeon. To correct this you must leave Swamp Palace, walk to a neighbouring screen and then walk back to the Swamp Palace, mirror to the Light World, drain the swamp, then return to the Dark World and finally re-enter the Swamp Palace. This will reset the water inside the dungeon and allow you to acquire the small key that was previously made inaccessible.

Using the Magic Mirror to go to the Light World, and then transitioning back to the Dark World will not work! You must screen transition away from the Swamp Palace and go back.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ohhhhhhhhhhh I just exited and re-entered. Didn't think I had to reactivate the palace, which actually makes sense.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Honestly I'd say the trollier things the randomizer can do are stuff like "you have to beat Mothula with fighter's sword, green tunic, and few hearts / no bottles". Like, sure in theory it can bounce you all over the place and make you double-dip in a bunch of dungeons, but having to do a low-level run in hard areas is pretty drat trolly.

Swordless Arghus (have fun with the menus!) and Blind (tiny hitbox on that hammer) are also not great, for that matter. So yeah, I'd say the most plausible nightmare scenario is putting sword upgrades in the pedestal and behind both tablets (or in similarly hard-to-access areas).

An early Mothula is pretty bad, but a forced Fighter Sword Vitreous is probably one of the most ridiculous ones I've seen actually happen. The fight takes ages and there's little room for error, since Vitreous has a ton of HP, is constantly chasing you in the second phase and you must use charge spins to do any damage at all. If you end up in that situation without having practiced it beforehand, good luck.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I just finished my first randomized run and it's been one hell of a ride. I thought I got stuck and was confused since I thought the randomizer logic prevented this, but it turns out I just forgot that there's a part of the Tower of Hera basement you don't need a key for. I don't know how I forgot and missed that stairway right next to the entrance all three times I entered the tower. Then I started a second run, went into the tower and then I finally noticed the door. :downs:

What really amazes me is the amount of effort that went into details such as adjusting the captions in the "where are they now" credits sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Separate from the LP file, I played a Master Sword Pedestal game over the last two days and it was a pretty interesting one. If anyone wants to give it a shot, here are the details:

Difficulty: Normal
Variation: Keysanity
Logic: No Glitches
Seed: 916591944
Goal: Master Sword Pedestal
Mode: Open

I forgot a screenshot but I beat it in about 4 hours with somewhere around 185/216 items collected. See if you can do better! It lured me into a false sense of security with some early obtains but I quickly found out that this run had a lot more meat to it. I'm kind of sad this isn't the LP run to be honest!

• Locked thread