Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

still a chance.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

carry on then posted:

it's also lol in that it's a feature google will never, ever add to chrome

I could totally see it being added

and including ads from Google’s own ad services, nobody else’s

and not allowing them to be blocked or hidden

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

good

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
sure is weird how the supposed worst candidate ever was able to easily beat the supposed people's hero, maple grandpa, who had a platform 99.9% identical to hers.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

President Beep posted:

where am i at on the list?? when is it gonna be my turn?!?!

are you married to a serial rapist ex president?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's almost like the national democratic party apparatus is a workfare program for turning otherwise useless ivy grads into either politicians, incredibly expensive consultants or both

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sounds like the spotify ipo is going to be some :suspense:

quote:

The Swedish company on Wednesday spelled out how exactly it would execute its so-called direct listing, and it amounts to a gamble that mom-and-pop investors will understand and appreciate their music business.

But the company made a number of disclosures acknowledging the risk it’s accepting by selling shares directly to the public.

There are no bankers that will underwrite the listing, meaning no one is trying to make a market for shares. There are no institutional investors who will get first dibs at their shares who could prop up Spotify’s value. And a lot of the rules that are meant to keep a stock from soaring or crashing are out the window.

In short: Expect a wild first day of trading as people try to figure out whether they should buy or sell Spotify, or SPOT, all on their own. Shares in 2017 swung from as low as $37.50 to as high as $125.00.

“The public price of our ordinary shares may be more volatile than in an underwritten initial public offering and could, upon listing on the NYSE, decline significantly and rapidly,” Spotify says in its filing with the SEC as one of its “risk factors,” or the dire-sounding warnings that the company is required to list.

Here’s what that means:
  • There is no pomp and circumstance of the “roadshow,” during which big institutions get a chance to kick the tires on the company and decide if it makes sense to buy or sell shares. The company only promises an “investor day” — with a presentation to be posted online for others — as part of an attempt to educate possible buyers on the business.
  • There is no opening share price in advance of trading. Morgan Stanley is advising the company on what Spotify calls a “novel” transaction, but underwriters are not purchasing shares early and structuring the first-day trading with their pricing.
  • There is virtually no “lock-up” that prevents company insiders from selling shares for a certain amount of time in order to keep the price stable. The only Spotify owner who must hold shares — for three years from the date of listing — is Tencent and its affiliate.

Other startups are watching closely. If Spotify, last valued at more than $20 billion in private secondary transactions, falls sharply below that valuation, it probably won’t look like such a helpful roadmap to follow.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

sure is weird how the supposed worst candidate ever was able to easily beat the supposed people's hero, maple grandpa, who had a platform 99.9% identical to hers.

i don't think you're giving the dnc enough credit for how hard they worked to collude and then fail to conceal their collusion

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

i don't think you're giving the dnc enough credit for how hard they worked to collude and then fail to conceal their collusion

ah yes, that famous collusion of "if you receive millions more votes by actually appealing to the democratic base, you will win the nomination"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hell yeah

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

stymie vs fishmech who ya got folks :munch":

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's kind of sad to see fishmech just being another hilary deadender rather than having a novel take on the situation

oh well, you'll get another bite at the apple in 2020 and then at least trump will be term limited

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

my bitter bi rival posted:

like two gas giants orbiting the same star, they occasionally pass dangerously close to one another

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
sure is weird how people defend the literal neoliberal shill "bernie sanders" so much

but of course 80% of them also think joe "credit card" biden is a leftist so i guess its just that the white working class is dumb as hell

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
personally i'd love to have seen hilary win just to see the tortured mental gymnastics required by liberals to justify going to war in syria and north korea simultaneously

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
whats' a Trustico

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

personally i'd love to have seen hilary win just to see the tortured mental gymnastics required by liberals to justify going to war in syria and north korea simultaneously

d-, copying late 2016 whines straight from facebook. see me after class

hillary clinton would, for example, have manipulated and bribed turkey better to get them to do the dirty work in a way that doesn't mess with the situation america wants now, unlike what turkey is currently doing. this is simple stuff.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao millennials aren't having children at all because they're all being enslaved by boomers

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

my bitter bi rival posted:

Trump

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
see? it's already started and hildawg lost the election and is gearing up to lose another

just meddlin' in any ol' country because we must project us power at all times in all places

my only greater wish would have been to see gore supporters justifying invading afghanistan and iraq

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
sure is weird how stymie refuses to admit that the entire "leftist" bernie supporter crowd is capitalist roaders with no interest in the abolition of capitalism.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
who said i supported bernie?

i just acknowledge that hilary is a bloodthirsty tool of capitalism and colluded with the dnc to secure the nomination and so it was always hilary who was going to lose to trump, bernie doesn't enter the equation

i know it's a favorite tactic of hilary deadenders to focus on bernie but he always was a distraction

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

who said i supported bernie?

i just acknowledge that hilary is a bloodthirsty tool of capitalism and colluded with the dnc to secure the nomination and so it was always hilary who was going to lose to trump, bernie doesn't enter the equation

i know it's a favorite tactic of hilary deadenders to focus on bernie but he always was a distraction

she didn't manipulate the dnc to secure the nomination, she simply conducted a campaign and was popular and got votes, which all the rivals failed to do.

of course the idea of winning votes and campaigning is anathema to millenial bernie supporters like you, so its easy to see why you confuse that for secret DNC mind-plans

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SHUT
THE
gently caress
UP

Both of you. Go to a DnD thread or take it to IMs.

I mean, god drat.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Proteus Jones posted:

SHUT
THE
gently caress
UP

I mean, god drat.

quit being a little baby and post your own content chumpo

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
see? when hilary's honor is impugned even in the slightest the hilary deadender desperately tries to shift the conversation

literally the only person who brought up someone other than hilary was fishmech because the evidence of her collusion and her campaign's incompetence are plain to see

the outcome would have been the same if the nation caught chaffee fever or something

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Proteus Jones posted:

SHUT
THE
gently caress
UP

I mean, god drat.
no see unlike very other time this topic comes up this time we are finally going to resolve the debate about the 2016 primary once and for all right here in the your operating system is a piece of poo poo funy computar subforum

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FMguru posted:

no see unlike very other time this topic comes up this time we are finally going to resolve the debate about the 2016 primary once and for all right here in the your operating system is a piece of poo poo funy computar subforum

the primary 'debate' was resolved before it even began: hillary was the only competent candidate and won by massive amounts. the only people who disagree are deranged psychotics like stymi et al. and well, people paid to pretend to be that of course

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i enjoy fishmech and stymie posting, and to see them both on the same page is just delightful

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
once again fishmech is right for the wrong reasons, the primary was decided for hilary before there was another candidate (doesn't matter who) that gained some momentum and their preexisting agreements ensured her nomination

bernie didn't lose to trump, hilary lost to trump and will lose to trump again in 2020, don't lose sight of that fact

though to be fair, hilary would have lost to whoever the republican nominee turned out to be, it just happened to be the raw unfettered id of the right wing, rather than hilary's more nuanced ego

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
fun fact: as late as 2012 Hillary Clinton polled at >60% favorability nationally. Bernie Sanders' favorability is currently at an all-time high of 57%

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Elder Postsman posted:

i enjoy fishmech and stymie posting, and to see them both on the same page is just delightful

it feels kind of like getting a really awesome picture in pokemon snap

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

once again fishmech is right for the wrong reasons, the primary was decided for hilary before there was another candidate (doesn't matter who) that gained some momentum and their preexisting agreements ensured her nomination

bernie didn't lose to trump, hilary lost to trump and will lose to trump again in 2020, don't lose sight of that fact

though to be fair, hilary would have lost to whoever the republican nominee turned out to be, it just happened to be the raw unfettered id of the right wing, rather than hilary's more nuanced ego

so you admit hillary is good, got it.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

fun fact: as late as 2012 Hillary Clinton polled at >60% favorability nationally. Bernie Sanders' favorability is currently at an all-time high of 57%

weird how that works huh.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

sounds like the spotify ipo is going to be some :suspense:

I loving love Spotify but no way in hell I’d buy shares since they’re almost inevitable doomed. The music streaming model is almost fundamentally different than tv or movies. big media is going to start asking for more and more for x and y and z and do their own exclusive partnerships with highest bidders from Apple or Google or whatever leading to piecemeal destruction of their library. and unlike Netflix you really can’t produce your own content to make up for hemorrhaging g library because people will get pissed when their favorite songs/artists start to dissapear from their library since it’s something actively reused. and then the user death spiral happens. also ads are poo poo useless and revenue from them is gunna decline as more companies realize they’re useless

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm lmao'ing at the idea of spotify going the netflix route

"we don't have that popular artist you searched for, but try this Spotify Original band instead! we think you'll rate them five stars!"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Elder Postsman posted:

the gorilla channel is real, my friends

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Sagebrush posted:

"we don't have that popular artist you searched for, but try this Spotify Original band instead! we think you'll rate them five stars!"

much like netflix is moving towards being nothing but comedy specials acquired on the cheap, spotify will soon mostly be weird vaporwave music made entirely of console noises from the aughts

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
hot take: i pay for a streaming service (netflix) and a music service (amazon music) if you're not on one of those then :filez:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagebrush posted:

omg I hope this happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Caganer posted:

much like netflix is moving towards being nothing but comedy specials acquired on the cheap, spotify will soon mostly be weird vaporwave music made entirely of console noises from the aughts

some enterprising Bulgarians are already filling the gap!