Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Just got my first victory so far as the Flame Behemoths. Flame Behemoths do Steel Judoka's gimmick better than they do, I think. They have so many tools for blocking spawns and setting up friendly fire, all while the fire damage ticks away. I also lucked into a confuse ray early on to put on the Swap Bot, which helped a ton. I'm having a hard time saying goodbye to the pilot I've kept through my last six playthroughs. He gives his Mech flight, and seems really enthusiastic about gardening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Does this game have legs?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
FTL had legs and people stopped playing it after one win. Or none.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Does this game have legs?

I would honestly say it has more legs then FTL, if only because FTL had an obviously limited pool of encounters that you'd hit up.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm sitting at work but all I can think about is playing more of this.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Nephzinho posted:

Having a good island 1 snowballs hard when you max your grid and start pumpin defense, letting you play more aggressively on later maps with 25-35% resist chance.

It is not worth buying defense.

Seriously, with 15% resist it takes an average of 8 hits to kill the grid. With 30% resist, it takes an average of... 10 hits. Defense is just something there so that getting a grid energy reward when your grid is totally maxxed out isn't completely worthless. Buy it for the achievement, and nothing else.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Grid Defense, much like engine upgrades in FTL are one of the most powerful upgrades in the game. Definitely do try to get that as high as you can.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
First win of the game was normal with the rift walkers after 10 hours of false starts and having archimedes.

Turns out when every mech does at least 3 damage per hit and can cross the map things get very manageable.

Seriously if you're struggling make a beeline for the 3 core 3 damage upgrade on the artillery mech its insanely useful.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Fangz posted:

It is not worth buying defense.

I mean, almost every visit to the store I make is buy as many cores as I can and then spend the remainder on Grid.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the zenith pull beam is the weakest weapon in the game i've seen so far. it's a straight line projectile, so you can't ever use it to pull one enemy into another like the judoka science mech.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what changes if you game over and go straight to second island? Is the difficulty adjusted for the fact that you have an inexperienced crew?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I have all but the Hazardous and Presumably Secret teams unlocked now.

I like Fog, Frost, and Fire in approximately descending order. :v: The most annoying thing about Fire is that it's incredibly obnoxious to bust dams and things with your basic loadout.

Also the Rift WalkersTeam Kestrel is very decent and a great newbie team while still letting you feel like a smart person.

I actually got a win with Lightning, but I credit that mostly to getting an early Really Good Spear for the melee mech so I didn't have to, for example, risk blowing up an earth mover or terraformer.

the spear is goddamn great right out of the box, 2 damage to 1-2 tiles with a range upgrade and an acid debuff available, pushes the target tile :stare:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

double nine posted:

what changes if you game over and go straight to second island? Is the difficulty adjusted for the fact that you have an inexperienced crew?

after you unlock it the second island is not, strictly speaking, harder than the first

it depends entirely on which challenges and terrain effects you're worried about, and which enemy types show up in which this playthrough, because that poo poo changes

i really, really haven't gotten my head around the strategery on this and that delights me

edit: also you can see what the boss is, so you can go "lol I'm not facing the blob boss with an out-of-the-box judoka team, i'm starting with the ice island"

double edit: for example, the desert island is absolutely 100% the easiest island for Team Smoke, because, well

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 1, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

after you unlock it the second island is not, strictly speaking, harder than the first

it depends entirely on which challenges and terrain effects you're worried about, and which enemy types show up in which this playthrough, because that poo poo changes

i really, really haven't gotten my head around the strategery on this and that delights me

edit: also you can see what the boss is, so you can go "lol I'm not facing the blob boss with an out-of-the-box judoka team, i'm starting with the ice island"

double edit: for example, the desert island is absolutely 100% the easiest island for Team Smoke, because, well

yeah once i realized no island is inherently more difficult than the others that influenced some of my picks yesterday

like hell i am playing the old world island with the lightning boys, for example

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Is there any way to set which path your units take to a tile? I'm in a map right now where I have enough movement to get to the spot I want in 2 different ways, but the route the game wants to go takes me over a mine.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Vargs posted:

Is there any way to set which path your units take to a tile? I'm in a map right now where I have enough movement to get to the spot I want in 2 different ways, but the route the game wants to go takes me over a mine.

Your units path past mines harmlessly.

edit: just don't end your movement on one

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Vargs posted:

Going over a mine is fine you just can't end your turn on one.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
It's incredible how I can go from failing on a single island with a new team, to like a couple of runs later I am In the zone and controlling the board extremely well.

Also, I can't stress how important it is to control and consider the enemy's next turn movement when setting up your attacks. Especially on deployment. I effortlessly dealt with a boss mission with Blitz because I deployed my guys in a way that my dude with attack twice if you don't move would provoke the boss into attacking my line of dudes in the exact position I wanted and I could use it to instantly delete him from the map.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

OneDeadman posted:

It's incredible how I can go from failing on a single island with a new team, to like a couple of runs later I am In the zone and controlling the board extremely well.

Also, I can't stress how important it is to control and consider the enemy's next turn movement when setting up your attacks. Especially on deployment. I effortlessly dealt with a boss mission with Blitz because I deployed my guys in a way that my dude with attack twice if you don't move would provoke the boss into attacking my line of dudes in the exact position I wanted and I could use it to instantly delete him from the map.

I don't understand enemy AI calculations yet. I was actually a bit hesitant about the degree to which they exist.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Finished three times on easy my first time out.

Armor guy fully leveled is pretty good. I kind of assumed that a higher leveled unit wouldn't change that much, but looking at things... yeah. It's really useful early game to have a little more health and move.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't get what their priorities are aside from the bosses generally going after the tower first.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I don't understand enemy AI calculations yet. I was actually a bit hesitant about the degree to which they exist.

Click an enemy and you can see how far they move and how they attack. Use this to avoid getting webbed.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I can't see any pattern yet either. Sometimes I think I'm hosed and then they spent all their actions attacking me.

It's probably as random as which room an enemy's laser is going to hit, from FTL.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
AI is likely a dice roll among targets for enemies with single target attacks? I think enemies with AOE attacks will choose targets based on how many targets they can hit?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I just beat the game on Easy/2 island with three Jets! :toot:

... I don't know if it's even possible on harder difficulties because these things rely on sitting on spawners and getting lucky as the RNG will stick monsters in spots you can't attack. You scrape through the first island with luck and hopefully buy something useful, then do it again.

Jets suck at damage, moving things, taking damage without upgrades....

But damnit I did it and had three achievements pop at the end. Feels good!

...and it's gonna feel so good tomorrow when I play an actual team again. On normal, too.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

OneDeadman posted:

AI is likely a dice roll among targets for enemies with single target attacks? I think enemies with AOE attacks will choose targets based on how many targets they can hit?

I think the AI randomly selects from among available targets. From the Fantastic Arcade talk:

Justin Ma posted:

The AI for this game are pretty dumb in terms of what their decision making is, and we kinda just tried to make a game that would be fun even with the AI being dumb. You can tweak it more, I guess, to make them just prioritize attacking buildings, but we found that just being able to have them choose their targets in a varied manner so it shifts between each turn is more compelling in the long run. Because if they just do the same thing over and over again, you'll end up having the same solutions every time.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Anyone found any effective custom squads? Any hidden synergies?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, the enemy is dumb bugs, they shouldn't be intelligent or predictable. Would be cool to have a Brain Psion that co-ordinated the enemy force as a potential unit that buffs the AI, but good AI doesn't seem interesting to Subset.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Just beat the game on normal, 4 island using Blitzkrieg.

My first time pod had a ramming speed weapon on it, and that basically busted the run wide open. The grapple tank's armor absorbs the damage from the ram, which makes it pretty drat good, but then I got a pilot that lets you take a full move after you attack. So I had this super mobile piece of poo poo ramming or grappling everything into stage hazards.

It loving ruled.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ccubed posted:

Anyone found any effective custom squads? Any hidden synergies?

Yeah triple Prime Punchbot was fun but not that great. Punchbot with smoke jet and rocket artillery was VERY good, but those are all good units on their own.

Still think Zenith with armor on the charger is tied with smoke squad for best, especially with the time traveler that ignores smoke.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I like this way more than FTL

To me this is like a super trimmed down version of Final Fantasy Tactics, where there's no story and your team is only 3 dudes and you don't have to level them up with grinding.

Which is baller as gently caress?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I lost a dude early on to a horrible mistake and then found a self destruct so I ended up happy to have no pilot in that tank. Then on the final island I had to sacrifice one of my other pilots to not die on the last turn. Then I found out there was a second phase and thank god it heals all your dudes even if you lost them, but the pilot is dead and gone. Then in the last turn of that battle I had to sacrifice the mech with final living pilot in it to block a lethal shot. So I won with all my pilots dead and no one to send to a new time line. Holy jesus that was close.

lazorexplosion fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 1, 2018

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
So, that one rusty squad's science vessel gets real freaking good when you stick the mech pilot who can move after an action into it. And give him the swapping teleporter. That was already pretty good, but then I got the pilot that could shoot twice on a turn without moving, and started just swapping him into ideal positions and then scurrying away to get in the way of something else. The last mission was cakewalk.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It totally is though. Yes the enemy types are random and the challenge ramps up as you go through islands but it's important to note that a whole bunch of other poo poo does not change. Archive is definitely the easiest(unless you have the blitzkrieg squad in which case you will teamkill everything you were supposed to save) because you will get landmines or controllable help on like half of the missions you do there(and the other missions are pretty simple), the environmental hazards are easy to manage, and there's lots of forests and water you can use to your advantage. RST is harder because instead of water you have chasms, which kill mechs as easy as vek, and the environmental hazards tend to be unpredictable. I'd say it's on par with Detritus, which has loads of acid that can be very helpful or totally screw you. Pinnacle is far and away the hardest because most of the missions require you to protect things that are actively trying to kill you.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

NotALizardman posted:

Just beat the game on normal, 4 island using Blitzkrieg.

My first time pod had a ramming speed weapon on it, and that basically busted the run wide open. The grapple tank's armor absorbs the damage from the ram, which makes it pretty drat good, but then I got a pilot that lets you take a full move after you attack. So I had this super mobile piece of poo poo ramming or grappling everything into stage hazards.

It loving ruled.

Yeah I also got Unstable Cannon on that sucker and just laughed. Why yes I'd love to turn my Grapple Tank into an actual tank with a backblast howitzer. The innate armor on that sucker makes it a surprisingly durable little sucker.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
After a few false start with Blitzkrieg, my latest run with them was the smoothest by far. By late game I was clearing the board so fast most of the time there's no vek left on the board after each turn. The slime boss died so fast none of the blob survive for more than a turn. Actually most boss dies in one turn thanks to an acid tank drop that I fully upgraded. It's such a versatile unit (I put it on my grappling mech). In one mission I chained a huge chain lighting that goes around the whole board going through like 20 units and buildings It was glorious.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 1, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hmm, I uh... can't see a good way out of this one. Thoughts?

Archimedes is powered to move after attacking, standard smokeboy mechs (no extra moves).

It looks like the literal best I can do is lose two power and both stars. Wowwwwwww did I ever just get skullfucked

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 1, 2018

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
That would be salvageable with 5 move on either the jet or the pulse mech, but without it you're in trouble if the guy webbing your rocket mech is at full health.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

FreeKillB posted:

That would be salvageable with 5 move on either the jet or the pulse mech, but without it you're in trouble if the guy webbing your rocket mech is at full health.

Yeah, he was, and yeah, the jet and pulse were just 4 move. I welped through that one and have moved on.

It is a testament to this game that I can see like five or six ways I hosed up to allow for this situation though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I don't know what the health values are, but if you move the pusher mech left/up 1, you could push the rocket mech out of the web (and ram the beetle into the mountain), then move it over and smoke the boss with the backblast I think.

Use the smoke bomb on the jet on the scorpion going after the city (do it first if you go this path) and you'd at least avoid any casualties, if not necessarily get the boss kill. I think?