Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I do like that they kept Poseidon as the shittiest of the Olympians. Which makes sense when you consider that the Greeks were a sea-faring people, and sailing at the time was treacherous as anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VanSandman posted:

I do like that they kept Poseidon as the shittiest of the Olympians. Which makes sense when you consider that the Greeks were a sea-faring people, and sailing at the time was treacherous as anything.

Funny thing, sea gods in almost every mythology are portrayed as capricious, temperamental assholes. :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Yeah, but the other cyclops are dumb enough to be fooled by Odysseus shouting "I am nobody! Nobody is here!", and then when they get their eye gouged out they say "Nobody did this!" and go around trying to find Nobody and exact revenge.
To be fair Polyphemus could have been a particularly stupid specimen.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Are there any non-lovely Olympians? Athena maybe? I mean Zeus is the dude who transforms into a swan and rapes women. I guess Hades is also kind of less lovely, he's just kind of a dick and not as actively dysfunctional and terrible as most of the others.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Randarkman posted:

Are there any non-lovely Olympians? Athena maybe? I mean Zeus is the dude who transforms into a swan and rapes women. I guess Hades is also kind of less lovely, he's just kind of a dick and not as actively dysfunctional and terrible as most of the others.

Athena helps burn a man's kingdom to the ground for daring to tell her she wasn't the prettiest.

Does the poor bastards working the forge ever sick anyone over? I don't think I recall any horrible stories about the goddess of the hearth either (hestia?)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

FoolyCharged posted:

Athena helps burn a man's kingdom to the ground for daring to tell her she wasn't the prettiest.

Does the poor bastards working the forge ever dick anyone over? I don't think I recall any horrible stories about the goddess of the hearth either (hestia?)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Randarkman posted:

Hephaestus and Hestia come to mind.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Does the poor bastards working the forge ever sick anyone over? I don't think I recall any horrible stories about the goddess of the hearth either (hestia?)

Working the forge? You mean Hephaestus? I'm pretty sure he tries to rape Athena in the myth about the founding of Athens or some other city.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Randarkman posted:

I mean Zeus is the dude who transforms into a swan and rapes women.

Zeus rapey tricks also included transforming into a bull, a satyr, an eagle and golden rain. He also raped men and her own sister, you see, good ol'Zeus was open to all kinds of non consensual relationships.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is there any pantheon that had worse gods than the Greeks'? Because, just goddamn.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Working the forge? You mean Hephaestus? I'm pretty sure he tries to rape Athena in the myth about the founding of Athens or some other city.

Welp.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Randarkman posted:

Is there any pantheon that had worse gods than the Greeks'? Because, just goddamn.

Probably but very few pantheons a) were for literate societies that wrote their myths down and b) had those records survive to the present day

That's part of why Greek and Norse pantheons are the ones that come up so often. They just have the best records of the thousands of dead religions.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Randarkman posted:

Yep! That story doesn’t actually make much sense with anything else we know about Hephaestus, but it WAS a story about him.

However, we have a much bigger and worse case of him being horrible: Harmonia’s Necklace (included as a relic in this game and I think I commented on it in mission 22).

After Aphrodite gave birth to Ares’s daughter Harmonia, Hephaestus decides to pull a Hera by taking vengeance on the child and any random passerby. So he made Harmonia a cursed necklace that ruined the lives of everyone who came in contact with it. This caused like 5 myths worth of terrible stuff. Harmonia and her husband Cadmus were cursed into incurring the anger of the gods and turned into snakes, a descendant was Semele who got the necklace and then Hera showed up and tricked her into asking Zeus to show his final form, and Jocasta was also a victim of it and ended up accidentally marrying her son Oedipus, etc.

The necklace is a minor detail that’s left out of many tellings of all these stories, but it’s supposed to be in them. Hephaestus caused all of those terrible things to happen to totally random mortals because he was mad at his wife. God logic.

Hestia was pretty swell though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cythereal posted:

Hephaestus and Hestia come to mind.
Which is why we have very little stories of note about Hestia

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Cythereal posted:

Funny thing, sea gods in almost every mythology are portrayed as capricious, temperamental assholes. :v:

One notable exception being Njörðr, who was a pretty swell dude, possibly because the vikings were much better seafarers and relied heavily on boats and fishing for transport and simple survival, respectively.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I wish we had been able to see more of the Son of Osiris unit. It sounds pretty cool and it's such an interesting concept with it's powerful attacks, healing but inability to recover health itself.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Monocled Falcon posted:

I wish we had been able to see more of the Son of Osiris unit. It sounds pretty cool and it's such an interesting concept with it's powerful attacks, healing but inability to recover health itself.

Never, ever, ever make one when playing against Zeus, tho. :v:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

my dad posted:

Never, ever, ever make one when playing against Zeus, tho. :v:

Everyone does this once.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I remember Son of Osiris helped me out in a weird bug I had while doing a skirmish map against an AI, way way back.

I attacked its base, and then one of the caravans kind of... swam away a little ways into the ocean. Like it was completely underwater in what should have been impassable terrain, since my guys couldn't get to it, I dunno how it got there, but none of my archers and other ranged units could hit it- the projectiles just vanished when they hit the water... until the SoO stepped up, and :science: got em.

I mean of course I don't think I needed to actually kill the thing, I could've just left it, but I was very aggravated that it DARED to defy me and deny my complete eradication of their entire civilization.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Munin posted:

And even with Persephone he ended up being far nicer than most of the other Greek gods would be in that kind of situation.

Then again that isn't saying much...

Hades did get the permission of Persephone's father, Zeus, before he abducted her. He just decided to come out of a chasm in the earth to drag her to the Underworld instead of telling her that her father had agreed to let him marry her.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hades is a big goon, lives in the basement, bad with women, hoarder.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

Hades is a big goon, lives in the basement, bad with women, hoarder.

He has a dog instead of a cat though

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

cheetah7071 posted:

He has a dog instead of a cat though

Which just goes to show he really is both the nicest and the most reasonable god.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Melth posted:

Which just goes to show he really is both the nicest and the most reasonable god.

He really is, on both counts. Seriously read the myth of Orpheus- despite all the tragedy and angst of the whole situation, it's clear that Hades is both deeply in love with his wife, and doing his best to help a dude with a bad situation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

White Coke posted:

Hades did get the permission of Persephone's father, Zeus, before he abducted her. He just decided to come out of a chasm in the earth to drag her to the Underworld instead of telling her that her father had agreed to let him marry her.

To be fair, that was kinda just how Greeks did things.

I love the Dresden Files' interpretation of that myth, though. According to Hades, Demeter was just an extremely overbearing and overprotective mother in law who couldn't bear to see her little girl grow up and leave home.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

CommissarMega posted:

He really is, on both counts. Seriously read the myth of Orpheus- despite all the tragedy and angst of the whole situation, it's clear that Hades is both deeply in love with his wife, and doing his best to help a dude with a bad situation.

I love the Orpheus and Eurydice myth, but it would be remiss of me not to point out that there's an alternate interpretation where Hades was toying with Orpheus all along and was never intending to allow him to escape with Eurydice. I don't buy it, because it's a much nicer...or, well, less awful? story the other way, but that's out there.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh wow, I must have fundamentally misunderstood something about Zeus' blessing cause I recall trying to distract the main forces like an idiot before having Arkantos fight the statue because I didn't realize how broken he was and feared he might die. The Poseidon statue regenrares health at an incredible rate too I think so I thought he needed the backup. I love how the gate starts spewing out massive amounts of enemy reinforcements at the end.

I also remember having to deal with Polyphemus, who is one hell of a cyclops unit and plowed through my army. I think he was mentioned in a previous video but he is the single strongest Greek myth unit (and probably overall Greek unit) in the game.

HannibalBarca posted:

I love the Orpheus and Eurydice myth, but it would be remiss of me not to point out that there's an alternate interpretation where Hades was toying with Orpheus all along and was never intending to allow him to escape with Eurydice. I don't buy it, because it's a much nicer...or, well, less awful? story the other way, but that's out there.
Is the version that's commonly told the one that has Persephone add the extra clause of not looking back, mostly because she was upset with her own marriage life? Because that's a dick move even though her complaints are somewhat valid.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The one I heard has Hades not wanting to let Eurydice out at all, because what kind of God of the Underworld would he be if people could just walk in or out. However, Persephone wasn't having any of that, and asked Hades to consider what if he was in Orpheus's position, and Persephone was in Eurydice's, which was when Hades had a change of heart, and gave Orpheus the simplest trial he could think of, and that he could legally give. Unfortunately Orpheus was too suspicious at how simple the trial was, and too horny to not want to see Eurydice's tits, so of course he looks behind, fails the test, and has to wait until he dies before he can be reunited once more.

With all that being said though, Greek myth is a mess, and it's quite possible all the versions of the myth being discussed here were told somewhere and somewhen in the Hellenic area.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CommissarMega posted:

With all that being said though, Greek myth is a mess, and it's quite possible all the versions of the myth being discussed here were told somewhere and somewhen in the Hellenic area.

It's important to remember that organized religion, with codified dogma that is reinforced over its entire geographic area, is much less common historically than you'd think. It didn't really hit the west until Constantine manhandled his bishops into agreeing on a single version of Christianity. So all the various Greek cities told different versions of the myths because in a very real sense Ephesus and Athens didn't have the same religion, they had different religions that shared many common elements. I mentioned Ephesus specifically because it's a pretty noteworthy example of the gods we know being worshiped very differently. There was a very popular earth mother style goddess called Cybele in the non-Greek parts of Turkey, which Ephesians adopted from their neighbors. Except they wanted to worship their own gods instead of foreign ones, so they decided that Cybele, as a female goddess associated with nature, must be Artemis (who is basically nothing at all like an earth mother in the version of the Greek pantheon you usually hear). Artemis-as-Cybele was the main cult in Ephesus even, and produced some very striking religious art, such as this:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is Arkantos now an available god to worship? It'd be an interesting reward for completing the story campaign.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Glazius posted:

Is Arkantos now an available god to worship? It'd be an interesting reward for completing the story campaign.

Sadly, no; it would be cool if he were a god for the Atlantis expansion pack civ.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HannibalBarca posted:

Sadly, no; it would be cool if he were a god for the Atlantis expansion pack civ.

Due to story reasons that wouldn't make much sense.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Hunt11 posted:

Due to story reasons that wouldn't make much sense.

Not that the gods you DO worship make much sense either...

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I'm back! And so is Reginleif!

Scenario 1: Close to Home

They never stood a chance.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

I'm glad you scheme for the thread, Melth.

Looking forward to seeing what you next have in store. I never beat any of the expansions so from here on out it's all new for me.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
Ahaha, yes! Welcome back, Melth.

Interesting that Hades is the bad guy in this little scenario, though? Maybe a red herring for the actual campaign, if you were to play it first?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Not only that, but the scenario specifically cites Erebus as the realm the undead are coming from, despite it happening in Norse lands, as told by Norse characters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I wonder if an earlier vision of the AoM campaign placed much greater emphasis on the three sides fighting each other. The game's artwork and advertising shows it a lot, and it's understandably part of the game's appeal, but in practice you spend most of the campaign fighting the same culture you're playing as. Different primary god, but most of the campaign is Greek vs Greek, Egyptian vs Egyptian, and Norse vs Norse.

This scenario could be leftover from an earlier iteration of the game's story where the three sides fought each other a lot more.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Cythereal posted:

I wonder if an earlier vision of the AoM campaign placed much greater emphasis on the three sides fighting each other. The game's artwork and advertising shows it a lot, and it's understandably part of the game's appeal, but in practice you spend most of the campaign fighting the same culture you're playing as. Different primary god, but most of the campaign is Greek vs Greek, Egyptian vs Egyptian, and Norse vs Norse.

This scenario could be leftover from an earlier iteration of the game's story where the three sides fought each other a lot more.

Yeah, that was my thinking about it too.

It certainly feels like something that might have been intended to be promotional material for an early, less sophisticated version of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Melth posted:

Yeah, that was my thinking about it too.

It certainly feels like something that might have been intended to be promotional material for an early, less sophisticated version of the game.

I was thinking it might have been originally developed as a level in a Norse campaign. Dial down what pops out of those gates and restrict it to the first couple of ages, and you've got a pretty decent second or third campaign level with a hugely powerful hero to keep the training wheels on.

Reginleif mentions it's the village she grew up in, so easy to imagine a Norse campaign opening with Reginleif catching Odin's attention in some huge battle and becoming a valkyrie, then returning to protect and lead her people when the Greek and Egyptian gods start poo poo.

• Locked thread