Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GUNS posted:

except when you flank a 17th century block you can also just have everyone right or left-face (the problem there is if you catch them from two directions at once, then they're hosed)

was this not an option for a phalanx

Alexanders dudes could do it, and all other kinds of advanced maneuvers. They definitely would adjust the front line if flanked, though his army also was a combined arms approach with non-phalanx infantry as well as good cavalry. The later successor states armies degraded as they fought each other relentlessly which is why you saw them go to longer and longer pikes to get more spearheads in the front line and the phalanx become more unwieldy, and the near sole focus of the army.

I do not know what a phalanx in the 500-900s Byzantine (Roman) Empire would be like exactly, and this could be a strategy for deploying less well trained troops than your guys. Hell even for your dudes getting flanked is never a good development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The typical Greek city phalanx couldn't pull a maneuver like that either, because they never drilled except when it was time to go to war. They could hold a basic formation, but that was it. Sparta was the one exception, that's where their reputation comes from.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kassad posted:

The typical Greek city phalanx couldn't pull a maneuver like that either, because they never drilled except when it was time to go to war. They could hold a basic formation, but that was it. Sparta was the one exception, that's where their reputation comes from.

my dudes don't drill either (according to david parrott and myself), they just spend most of their adult lives in the military subculture and eventually learn how to do a thing

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I guess it's still a step up from random shopkeepers and artisans mustering up a couple weeks before an actual battle :shrug:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kassad posted:

I guess it's still a step up from random shopkeepers and artisans mustering up a couple weeks before an actual battle :shrug:
every time mercenaries encounter civil militias the results are fast and :gibs:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HEY GUNS posted:

except when you flank a 17th century block you can also just have everyone right or left-face (the problem there is if you catch them from two directions at once, then they're hosed)

Isn't "engage from two sides" the whole point of flanking a phalanx? You don't flank until they're engaged to the front.

Hell isn't that flanking in general? At least until the musketry era. I did british re-enacting as a summer job and at that point, yeah, a line is hosed trying to wheel around and shoot you even if no one is shooting from the front.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tree Bucket posted:

Hmm. What does double phalanx mean exactly?
Thanks for the post, by the way.

Twice the Phalanxy goodness with only half the calories!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Isn't "engage from two sides" the whole point of flanking a phalanx? You don't flank until they're engaged to the front.

Hell isn't that flanking in general? At least until the musketry era. I did british re-enacting as a summer job and at that point, yeah, a line is hosed trying to wheel around and shoot you even if no one is shooting from the front.
if you have very thin formations your unit is hosed if attacked from the side, but a tercio is a perfect square and even non-spanish formations are pretty deep in the 17th c

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I do not know what a phalanx in the 500-900s Byzantine (Roman) Empire would be like exactly, and this could be a strategy for deploying less well trained troops than your guys. Hell even for your dudes getting flanked is never a good development.

These guys would have been far better prepared than the typical Republican era Roman soldier, who was often raised on short notice and quickly thrown into battle. I forget the exact length but Byzantine authors described how fresh soldiers shouldn't do poo poo for x months after being raised. I'm not sure if they got "drilled" as in modern armies but there was definitely a lot done to season men before they could be deployed.

I too couldn't help but look up some of the formations in the list. Form the Fulkon and Proceed in Fulkon stood out at me. Apparently the fulkon was a development of the testudo formation of earlier eras, in which a formation advanced with the first rank locking shields as if in a phalanx, while the second and third rank presented shields raised high over their heads. Everybody else advanced normally. Seems like it provided almost as much protection while allowing men to move faster under fire.

These guys would have deployed in formations more like a classical Greek phalanx then something from the Hellenistic age. Look at their spears, they were only like 7 ft long:

This is supposed to be a depiction of Flavius Stilicho from the early fifth century in the outfit of a common soldier, as was fashionable for portraits of this eras leaders. Of course unlike a Greek phalanx these guys would have had a rear row throwing darts, another rear row shooting arrows and light field artillery, mounted archers to harass the enemy, and heavy cavalry possibly including Cataphracts on the flanks.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The "Sparta was a bad Polis" post mentioned that Spartas preferred battleground was the Isthmus of Corinth, was that small enough for a Greek army to actually obstruct?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Looks like it. Six kilometers wide. Obviously you wouldn't actually have a line that long but that's a short enough distance you'd be able to see anything going on and maneuver to be in an opposing army's way. The Romans put up defensive works in the area, I don't know if the Spartans did.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Kassad posted:

Therr was a quote from the milhist thread about Sparta that said their opponents would often just give up on the spot when the Spartan phalanx realigned itself against a flanking threat because this was such a feat at the time

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Looks like it. Six kilometers wide.
Ancient or modern?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Baron Porkface posted:

Ancient or modern?

Modern. No idea about ancient but it was narrow enough that even back then there was talk about digging a canal through it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

HEY GUNS posted:

I know that the Romans used a square formation in their center at times, and a block is clearly a continuation of that trend. Both could be seen as derivatives of the double phalanx concept - exchanging frontal surface area for defensive depth. And some phalanxes could be quite deep: there's writing of lines having eight or sixteen ranks. It's what gave historians such confusion about the push of battle, and has caused a lot of debates about whether those guys were literally just trampling the enemy. I'm not sure how well a tercio formation would have worked in the classical or early medieval era. It seems like it's just difficult to know how to balance the offensive and defensive elements of a formation. Even modern military formations are constantly changing depending on the conditions of battle - a feat they're capable of only because of modern comms and the loose order of contemporary warfare.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Grand Fromage posted:

Modern. No idea about ancient but it was narrow enough that even back then there was talk about digging a canal through it.

Narrow enough to have boats carried across to save time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diolkos

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Grand Fromage posted:

More than just talk apparently by browsing Wikipedia, Nero wanted to dig it and they got about 1/10th the way before he was assassinated and the money/willpower dried up

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
It seems that Roman priests knew the importance of keeping your head high, you will suffocate to CO2 otherwise..

Science posted:

This Roman 'gate to hell' killed its victims with a cloud of deadly carbon dioxide

Is it possible to walk through the gates of hell and live? The Romans thought so, and they staged elaborate sacrifices at what they believed were entrances to the underworld scattered across the ancient Mediterranean. The sacrifices—healthy bulls led down to the gates of hell—died quickly without human intervention, but the castrated priests who accompanied them returned unharmed. Now, a new study of one ancient site suggests that these “miracles” may have a simple geological explanation

The eunuch priests likely made their sacrifices in only the morning or evening hours, when the concentration of the gas was highest, Pfanz says. Sacrificial animals were not tall enough to keep their heads fully clear of the CO2 lake, and as they became dizzy, their heads would have dropped even lower, exposing them to higher CO2 concentrations and leading to death by asphyxiation. The priests, however, were tall enough to keep their heads above the dangerous gasses, and may have even stood on stones to add to their height. “They … knew that the deadly breath of [the mythical hellhound] Kerberos only reached a certain maximum height,” Pfanz says.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/02/roman-gate-hell-killed-its-victims-cloud-deadly-carbon-dioxide

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Kemper Boyd posted:

Narrow enough to have boats carried across to save time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diolkos

Aristophanes apparently made a sex joke about this

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have an early medieval question: can anyone point me to a source for the square mileage of Anglo-Saxon kingdoms? This info seems to be spotty and hard to find by Googling, though I'm sure it must be something generally known to historians. I'm trying to get an idea of the scale of petty kingdoms from the smallest to largest. I know that, for example, Essex was about the size of the county I grew up in, but I can't gauge the size of Northumbria.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Depending on when exactly you're interested in there may not even have been rough borders. I believe when Christian missionaries arrived, they reported that the kings considered themselves rulers of people, not places--e.g., there was a king of the west saxons, but no king of wessex, and wessex didn't exist yet because there was no need for the word. Also, even once the kingdoms start resembling states more, with real borders, those borders of course changed over time due to war and such, so knowing your period of interest matters for that reason too.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Also a some of those place names that survive are basically descriptors of the area itself, not necessarily political or tribal borders. Northumbria, for example, is just the terrain north of the Umber river. There used to be a "Southumbria" designation as well, but that faded out sometime around the 15th C iirc.

Some of them are going to be easier, though. Mercia has pretty well established borders by the 7th century for example. THAT said, then you get into issues of "effective control." Borders don't work in the ancient/medieval world the way they do today. Is a village on the frontier between Wessex and Mercia Mercian or Saxon? The titular lord, effective lord, and linguistic/cultural identity of the people living there might provide three different answers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Depending on when exactly you're interested in there may not even have been rough borders. I believe when Christian missionaries arrived, they reported that the kings considered themselves rulers of people, not places--e.g., there was a king of the west saxons, but no king of wessex, and wessex didn't exist yet because there was no need for the word. Also, even once the kingdoms start resembling states more, with real borders, those borders of course changed over time due to war and such, so knowing your period of interest matters for that reason too.

Actually, it gets even more bizarre when you look at this particular case. When Pope Gregory sent Augustine of Canterbury to Britain to convert the Anglo-Saxons he specifically sent him to the King of Kent with a letter that addressed him as "King of the Angles" (or King of the English, depending on how you want to translate it). This despite the fact that Kent wasn't settled by Angles. It was being used as a generic term for everyone on the Island (well, distinct from the Romano-Britains). The king of kent was chosen specifically because he had been elected as a king of general warlord for all the Anglo-Saxon groups at that time, something they would do when involved in a large communal project like conquering a bunch of Celts and Latins.

So in this case you actually have the Pope sending a dude out specifically because he figures he is a good chief-man to talk to re: religion in the British Isles, and who did have some relatively high authority over a body that included multiple tribes, but who we probably can't describe as a "king of england" in the sense that the title will assume in the 9th century.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I have an early medieval question: can anyone point me to a source for the square mileage of Anglo-Saxon kingdoms? This info seems to be spotty and hard to find by Googling, though I'm sure it must be something generally known to historians. I'm trying to get an idea of the scale of petty kingdoms from the smallest to largest. I know that, for example, Essex was about the size of the county I grew up in, but I can't gauge the size of Northumbria.

This might help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hide_(unit)

Otteration fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 17, 2018

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rare Roman boxing gloves found near Hadrian's Wall

quote:

Roman boxing gloves have been discovered near Hadrian’s Wall, thought to be the only known surviving examples, even though the sport was well- documented on Roman wall paintings, mosaics and sculptures.

With a protective guard designed to fit snugly over the knuckles, the gloves were packed with natural material which acted as shock absorbers. They date from around AD120 and were certainly made to last: they still fit comfortably on a modern hand. One of them even retains the impression of the knuckles of its ancient wearer.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Looks more like a mma glove.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't think they had Queensbury rules in 120 AD.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Welp I guess the next UFC game will straight-faced have a roman soldier playable character, with the advertising explaining that in many ways the ancient Romans were the first proponents of MMA.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My point being that the article say it's an ancient roman boxing glove, but then points out it only goes over the knuckles and leaves the fingers exposed, unlike modern boxing gloves. You know, just a like a MMA glove. I know the article is saying "boxing glove" because it's the most common term for the thing, but calling those leather...knuckle straps? a boxing glove could give you a certain impression about what their match would look like, probably a wrong one. This I will assert with no evidence: based on what little I know about gouging/non-queensbury boxing the roman "boxing" probably I involved a lot of grabbing, clinching, and throwing. It was just something I wanted to bring up.

Also EA better get Ray Stevenson to give me that authentic roman accent.

Oh, also, it's interesting to me how much it looks like an MMA glove since those were developed a while after MMA was a thing; it was considered a pretty big deal to design some gloves that could keep your hands (and hopefully your opponents face) intact while still letting you grab. I recall some self-defense oriented martial artist in the 90s tried to train around the lack of mma-style gloves by starting his sparring matches standing up with traditional gloves on, but if the fight went to the ground both participants would stop for a second and onlookers would quickly yank off the gloves. It's interesting to me that the Roman's apparently had this settled; it makes me curious how well these pads worked, but the answer is probably "well enough for ancient Romans, but not well enough for our standards today".

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 20, 2018

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

I know the article is saying "boxing glove" because it's the most common term for the thing, but calling those leather...knuckle straps? a boxing glove could give you a certain impression about what their match would look like, probably a wrong one.

Handals?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

My point being that the article say it's an ancient roman boxing glove, but then points out it only goes over the knuckles and leaves the fingers exposed, unlike modern boxing gloves. You know, just a like a MMA glove. I know the article is saying "boxing glove" because it's the most common term for the thing, but calling those leather...knuckle straps? a boxing glove could give you a certain impression about what their match would look like, probably a wrong one. This I will assert with no evidence: based on what little I know about gouging/non-queensbury boxing the roman "boxing" probably I involved a lot of grabbing, clinching, and throwing. It was just something I wanted to bring up.

Also EA better get Ray Stevenson to give me that authentic roman accent.

Oh, also, it's interesting to me how much it looks like an MMA glove since those were developed a while after MMA was a thing; it was considered a pretty big deal to design some gloves that could keep your hands (and hopefully your opponents face) intact while still letting you grab. I recall some self-defense oriented martial artist in the 90s tried to train around the lack of mma-style gloves by starting his sparring matches standing up with traditional gloves on, but if the fight went to the ground both participants would stop for a second and onlookers would quickly yank off the gloves. It's interesting to me that the Roman's apparently had this settled; it makes me curious how well these pads worked, but the answer is probably "well enough for ancient Romans, but not well enough for our standards today".

On the one hand you're right if you're talking about what your average person today thinks of when he sees the word "boxing," but boxing has a much longer tradition of being done bare-knuckle or with minimal hand coverings than it does with the modern gear.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The obvious explanation is that Romans had no fingers. They were invented by the Dutch in the 16th century.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My understanding of both Greek and Roman boxing is that it was guys whacking the poo poo out of each other with hand coverings that would be considered deadly weapons today, though they changed over time. Pankration was more the ancestor of MMA, and MMA enthusiasts aren't unaware of that. (In fact, it was popular to brand stuff as modern pankration during the years when MMA was really struggling to gain mainstream acceptance. There's also a guy named Jim Arvanitis whose whole career has been establishing "modern pankration," but it's entirely a reconstruction.)

Pankration was also not well regarded, because the ability to punch, kick, tackle, and strangle a guy isn't a terribly valuable military skill.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Halloween Jack posted:

Pankration was also not well regarded, because the ability to punch, kick, tackle, and strangle a guy isn't a terribly valuable military skill.

The Navy Seals would differ: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/29/us/politics/navy-seals-team-6-strangle-green-beret-mali.html

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think it's called a cestus.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I thought a cestus had a lead dust filling. I.e. It was a weapon, not a protective covering.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/968228331014500353

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Caesar adsum iam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic in at

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I googled this, and all I found was a Turkish 1951 production: why have there been so few (if any) epic films about the 1453 capture of Constantinople? I mean, I can understand why nobody's making that kind of thing today, since white supremacists have thoroughly appropriated any section of history that could even remotely be characterised as "Christians v Muslims", but it seems exactly like the kind of thing Hollywood would have made sixty years ago.

I can very easily imagine the emotional climax: the white, Christian emperor (no doubt played by a Kirk Douglas type), now alone and surrounded, casts off his regalia to reveal the muscles underneath and raises his sword in defiance as the music swells and he's rushed by the faceless mass of brown stereotypes, dying heroically to buy time for His People to flee the city. Seems perfect for audiences of the 50s or 60s who wanted to see some bravery, swordfighting and tragedy and be reassured in the superiority of Dudes Who Look Like Them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

peer posted:

I googled this, and all I found was a Turkish 1951 production: why have there been so few (if any) epic films about the 1453 capture of Constantinople? I mean, I can understand why nobody's making that kind of thing today, since white supremacists have thoroughly appropriated any section of history that could even remotely be characterised as "Christians v Muslims", but it seems exactly like the kind of thing Hollywood would have made sixty years ago.

I can very easily imagine the emotional climax: the white, Christian emperor (no doubt played by a Kirk Douglas type), now alone and surrounded, casts off his regalia to reveal the muscles underneath and raises his sword in defiance as the music swells and he's rushed by the faceless mass of brown stereotypes, dying heroically to buy time for His People to flee the city. Seems perfect for audiences of the 50s or 60s who wanted to see some bravery, swordfighting and tragedy and be reassured in the superiority of Dudes Who Look Like Them

by that point, we were The Wrong Kind Of Christian. exotic but faintly corrupt, etc. Definitely not blond.

how many movies exist in the west about byzantium at all?