Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Caganer posted:

hot take: i pay for a streaming service (netflix) and a music service (amazon music) if you're not on one of those then :filez:

i just pay for youtube red, which includes google music all access or whatever its called. i guess i also have amazon's tv thing cuz i have prime. im pirating poo poo that aint on that, unless its bandcamp stuff (especially if its on cassette, love dem tapes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
mega agreedo on spotify being doomed and also lol at $20 billion valuation. but good on them for sticking it to the banks on an ipo. underwriters take fees of 6% for doing what exactly? giving insiders a cut on a day one pop leaving founders in the lurch? gently caress em.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

mega agreedo on spotify being doomed and also lol at $20 billion valuation. but good on them for sticking it to the banks on an ipo. underwriters take fees of 6% for doing what exactly? giving insiders a cut on a day one pop leaving founders in the lurch? gently caress em.

they guarantee a sane value for your stock, literally

like, they take out insurance on that poo poo

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

so you admit hillary is good, got it.

yep, she's the best at losing elections, nobody does it better

also fantastic at refusing to quit in the face of overwhelming evidence

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
one way to look at an ipo is selling a hojillion shares all at once, in which case no poo poo you're not going to be able to get current market price for every single one of them

is snap's plan going to get them a bigger proportion of the potential takings than the typical plan of "give someone with big pockets a cut in exchange for them evening out the supply"? who knows. it's gonna be interesting i guess.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

yep, she's the best at losing elections, nobody does it better

also fantastic at refusing to quit in the face of overwhelming evidence

so good at losing elections, yet somehow all her senate opponents lost to her, and bernie lost to her, and trump lost to her outside of the known undemocratic electoral college. hmmmm

obama even just barely beat her.

Jabor posted:

one way to look at an ipo is selling a hojillion shares all at once, in which case no poo poo you're not going to be able to get current market price for every single one of them

is snap's plan going to get them a bigger proportion of the potential takings than the typical plan of "give someone with big pockets a cut in exchange for them evening out the supply"? who knows. it's gonna be interesting i guess.

do you mean spotify? what spotify seems to be expecting is not really that they'll be getting bigger takings, but rather that they don't want to have wait all the extra time cuz they're kinda on the edge.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Bernie would have lost to Trump, and Hillary ran a poor campaign, which was sadly better than Bernie's. Bernie's campaign ran on the hopes and dreams(and college loans) of a lot of middle class white kids, and that is about all.

People really like racism and lies, lesson of 2016.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my favorite part of this whole 3 year long election that is still happening and will never end has been watching fishmech whip back and forth between complaining that people aren't left enough and defending hillary clinton, the most left person

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

so good at losing elections, yet somehow all her senate opponents lost to her, and bernie lost to her, and trump lost to her outside of the known undemocratic electoral college. hmmmm

obama even just barely beat her.

yeah i imagine that her getting losing to obama by the superdelegates was what led to her deal with the dnc for 2016 so that wouldn't happen again

still batting .000 when it comes to presidential elections, though and on track to extend that record in 2020

ate all the Oreos posted:

my favorite part of this whole 3 year long election that is still happening and will never end has been watching fishmech whip back and forth between complaining that people aren't left enough and defending hillary clinton, the most left person

it's the fate of the modern liberal to pay lip service to progressive policy but to be ardently in favor of candidates that would be considered staunchly conservative by any objective measure

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Hillary Clinton has done and said both good and bad things. In conclusion, Hillary Clinton is a land of contrasts.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i want to verify something here real quick: fishmech, what do you think is the most likely outcome of the mueller investigation?

not what you want the outcome to be, what you think the most likely outcome will be?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

trump has to say he's very sorry in front of everyone and due to some loophole in the rules obama is automatically president again for another 8 years and his dog can play basketball

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mueller will find Russia elected Trump, which is worth -200 electoral votes. and since Hillary already conceded, Bernie becomes President!
Haven't you read the Constitution?!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

trump gets to remain president, but all of his legislation has to have a * beside it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Peachfart posted:

People really like racism and lies, lesson of 2016.

People *really* don't want to accept this

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I think a difficulty in pushing leftist issues is that people really need to have some basis of foundational assumptions for their reality, and for most conservatives these assumptions are inherited from a colonial and racist history. When you tell them one of those assumptions is incorrect, it's not just criticism. You're literally taking a sledgehammer to the reality they thought they lived in. A violent response (be that social, political, or physical) is not only natural, but an act of self preservation on their part.

Human brains just aren't wired that well for confronting flaws in our bases assumptions. Bernie and Hillary both sold a message that America has gotten some things wrong, and Donald sold the message that America cannot be wrong. It's not surprising that people who are now shocked by his behavior jumped on board the train at election time. Decorum didn't matter to them then, just preserving the reality where they're just innocent moral folks trying to live their own lives and stay out of others business. Now they're seeing the reality of Trump and being forced to confront their flawed foundations anyway, leading to his approval contracting to only hardened unapologetic racists and monsters.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stymie posted:

i want to verify something here real quick: fishmech, what do you think is the most likely outcome of the mueller investigation?

not what you want the outcome to be, what you think the most likely outcome will be?

paralysis

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

cis autodrag posted:

I think a difficulty in pushing leftist issues is that people really need to have some basis of foundational assumptions for their reality, and for most conservatives these assumptions are inherited from a colonial and racist history. When you tell them one of those assumptions is incorrect, it's not just criticism. You're literally taking a sledgehammer to the reality they thought they lived in. A violent response (be that social, political, or physical) is not only natural, but an act of self preservation on their part.

Human brains just aren't wired that well for confronting flaws in our bases assumptions. Bernie and Hillary both sold a message that America has gotten some things wrong, and Donald sold the message that America cannot be wrong. It's not surprising that people who are now shocked by his behavior jumped on board the train at election time. Decorum didn't matter to them then, just preserving the reality where they're just innocent moral folks trying to live their own lives and stay out of others business. Now they're seeing the reality of Trump and being forced to confront their flawed foundations anyway, leading to his approval contracting to only hardened unapologetic racists and monsters.

i remember near the end of the bush admin there were a whole lotta republicans who 'just didn't want to talk politics' and 'wasn't interested in following things anymore it's all so negative'

funny how that's come 7 years early this time around

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Rex-Goliath posted:

the gorilla channel is real, my friends

i think most people would watch the gorilla channel

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/968996781068509184

e:

fishmech posted:

sure is weird how the supposed worst candidate ever was able to easily beat the supposed people's hero, maple grandpa, who had a platform 99.9% identical to hers.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 1, 2018

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
america needs a corbyn. wonder if they'd let us borrow him

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

read settlers dot org

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

its cherubic, myopic, and hyperbolic

but essentially, americans bad

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ate all the Oreos posted:

It is both true that yall ain't left enough and that Hillary Clinton was the most leftist major party primary or general candidate. Hope this helps.

Stymie posted:

yeah i imagine that her getting losing to obama by the superdelegates was what led to her deal with the dnc for 2016 so that wouldn't happen again

This didn't happen. She was just enough out that all the super delegates wouldn't be enough

Stymie posted:

Hundreds of arrests and convictions.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

apparently it can also make your intestines and other organs get larger and start protruding like a beergut

I think this effect is pretty mild with straight HGH or peptide fragment use but it gets really wild when you see guys stacking huge doses of HGH and insulin and getting these massive systemic anabolic effects that are just not going to be good long term. There's definitely either some weird organ enlargement or intrabdominal fat or connective tissue growth going on in some of those dudes who can't lay off the humalog.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Caganer posted:

hot take: i pay for a streaming service (netflix) and a music service (amazon music) if you're not on one of those then :filez:

yep, :filez: still exists and has only declined because netflix has been good. lmbo if u think i'm going to pay for any other streaming service than the one i'm already paying for.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

also lol if you think independent artists don't already sign up to spotify either directly or through services like distrokid

probably this detail will help them gently caress all in terms of profitability but i am trying to argue against the poster that assumed spotify can not have it's "own" content - it can already, whereas i am not aware that joe random can upload their poo poo on netflix

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

People *really* don't want to accept this

That's really all it is, racism and lies and spite won. Clinton couldn't have won those oh so important midwestern blue collar votes without also being racist and spiteful.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Penisface posted:

also lol if you think independent artists don't already sign up to spotify either directly or through services like distrokid

they absolutely do but the discovery algorithm needs to be smarter than "a playlist tha's just some poo poo you searched for once, forever, with no new advice"

also a "new hits" section that isn't entirely hip-hop would be nice, not that i have a problem with hip-hop but i'm not n-bombing my office

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is what it sounds like when i 'max

lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

it's just economic anxiety.jpg

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

it's just economic anxiety.jpg

The GOP ran a confirmed child rapist for Senate and he only lost by 21k votes out of 1.3m or so cast, and only because he literally said America was better when slavery was the law of the land, which mobilized the poo poo out of the black vote.

A third of this country is okay with everything about Roy Moore and probably need to die for us to move forward.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh hey tori, didn't recognize the new av of a... metal cheeseburger?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/comicsreporter/status/969073220891611137

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The GOP ran a confirmed child rapist for Senate and he only lost by 21k votes out of 1.3m or so cast, and only because he literally said America was better when slavery was the law of the land, which mobilized the poo poo out of the black vote.

A third of this country is okay with everything about Roy Moore and probably need to die for us to move forward.

I dearly wish I'd saved a link but there was a post from a nurse in the old medical stories thread. it was about orientation questions for dementia patients, and how they had to change them when obama became prez, because you got all those old fucks who failed the question about their own loving name failed the question about what year or even decade it currently was, but ask them who the sitting president is and hoo boy

and it just made me think, my god, what the gently caress do you even do with these people? people who, even after they forget their children's faces, their own names, how to even string a coherent sentence together, when all that is dead and gone there's still this rotten little ulcer at the very center of their brain screaming friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family until the very last breath

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I used to visit my grandmother at her assisted living community and inside the entrance door there's a keypad and in 12 point font beneath it says 'type the current year to unlock the door'

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sapozhnik posted:

I dearly wish I'd saved a link but there was a post from a nurse in the old medical stories thread. it was about orientation questions for dementia patients, and how they had to change them when obama became prez, because you got all those old fucks who failed the question about their own loving name failed the question about what year or even decade it currently was, but ask them who the sitting president is and hoo boy

and it just made me think, my god, what the gently caress do you even do with these people? people who, even after they forget their children's faces, their own names, how to even string a coherent sentence together, when all that is dead and gone there's still this rotten little ulcer at the very center of their brain screaming friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family until the very last breath

vote to cancel them out, then wait

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

you go set a watchman

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Bhodi posted:

I used to visit my grandmother at her assisted living community and inside the entrance door there's a keypad and in 12 point font beneath it says 'type the current year to unlock the door'

:smith: yeah the poor sods just sitting there playing the numbers lottery all day, poking away at the keypad without ever trying the door, which they could very well have unlocked dozens of times

every now and then you get one savvy enough to realize pulling the fire alarm unlocks all the doors, that's always fun

by far the worst were the dump-and-runs, where they take gam-gam to visit some friend they say she's just forgotten, then someone says HEY LOOK IT'S HERB ALPERT and dash off behind the locked door, leaving her to a very understandable week-long freakout over having been abandoned in an unfamiliar house of horrors. I mean, the staff try to make things less terrible for them, and there really is no genteel way of having someone committed to a place like that so short (or non-)goodbyes are better than protracted affairs but holy poo poo, you did not want to be anywhere near the door for a while after that happened

just wire me up with firework powder and a suicide vest and launch me into the air out of a giant slingshot on canada day, put on a fuckin show and spare me that genuinely terrifying tailspin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

haveblue posted:

vote to cancel them out, then wait

on a long enough timescale youre the old gently caress that people are waiting on to die