Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The rurals realize their entire existence is subsidized by the good state economies right? Like if they ever succeeded in their desires to remove/ruin the liberal coasts they would be living in a third-world country.

This is true on one level but also is firmly rooted in a free market worldview that forgets the nation relies on raw materials and agricultural products from these states in ways that are more important than the market may suggest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

21K? now that's some climate change right there!

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

The rurals realize their entire existence is subsidized by the good state economies right? Like if they ever succeeded in their desires to remove/ruin the liberal coasts they would be living in a third-world country.

lol if you think rural are thinking past their next SSDI check

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

pushpins posted:

Los Angeles resident here. I went to visit my sister in Alabama and was legitimately surprised when a younger kid called me sir

are you white

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

is this a poll of trump supporters?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
red states collectively compare to a 3rd world country but they will continue to suicide by vote

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Oh, my representative. His facebook has been batshitm the last couple weeks.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

he should have used his #SassieWithMassie hashtag for this

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

No, they don't. They seriously think that hard working rural Americans work for free through May to pay for welfare queens and obamaphones in the city. They really think that.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Oh my god

The very study they're referencing and link to says California is 32nd and that Louisiana is dead last.

Like it's a straight up easily verified lie.

#WhiteLiesMatter

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a nazi this morning was talking me about failed California and how Iowa is the best place to live lmao

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 386 days!
california is rad but the ppl there are very rude and are exceptionally bad drivers, what of it goons :smug:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

pushpins posted:

Los Angeles resident here. I went to visit my sister in Alabama and was legitimately surprised when a younger kid called me sir

if you look at the article, it appears that it's based on this US News report that weighs housing heavily. California's housing is ridiculous and there is a homeless problem, but lol "failed state"

rent is high because lots of people and businesses want to be there!!

but they also give ND, Home of The Fracking, #2 overall in "natural environment" and California, home of the loving Sierras and the southern tip of the Cascades and redwoods and the whole central coast plus all of their environmental laws at #44 so maybe their metrics are kinda extremely hosed??
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/quality-of-life

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

shovelbum posted:

This is true on one level but also is firmly rooted in a free market worldview that forgets the nation relies on raw materials and agricultural products from these states in ways that are more important than the market may suggest

the corporations that extract package and sell these materials and agricultural products could give a poo poo about anything but making money

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

euphronius posted:

a nazi this morning was talking me about failed California and how Iowa is the best place to live lmao

"all i eat is corn anyway"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Oh my god

The very study they're referencing and link to says California is 32nd and that Louisiana is dead last.

Like it's a straight up easily verified lie.

no, they have California at 50

and North Dakota at #1 lolololololol

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

I...uh...w-whaa??

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/politico/status/969219857119105024

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

euphronius posted:

I bet you did "Nazi" that coming!

brugroffil posted:

if you look at the article, it appears that it's based on this US News report that weighs housing heavily. California's housing is ridiculous and there is a homeless problem, but lol "failed state"

but they also give ND, Home of The Fracking, #2 overall in "natural environment" and California, home of the loving Sierras and the southern tip of the Cascades and redwoods and the whole central coast plus all of their environmental laws at #44 so maybe their metrics are kinda extremely hosed??

If you click the link to the study itself from US News, you'll see that California is ranked #32 and the lower spaces are full of red state shitholes. The headline and the article are a straight up lie.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

"He misspoke at great length"

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No, they don't. They seriously think that hard working rural Americans work for free through May to pay for welfare queens and obamaphones in the city. They really think that.

I'm an educated progressive, and even for me it was really baffling when I started looking up the GDP of American cities and comparing them to entire American states. Even middling, lackluster cities like the Minneapolis metro outproduce several entire states combined.

It's incredibly counter-intuitive, and unless you've actually been informed and are willing to believe it there is no reason to imagine a small minority of America produces most of the country's economic, financial, industrial, scientific, and technological output.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

brugroffil posted:

NJ is 49th tho so list checks out

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
jk NJ is actually ok

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

dont tell them bout north dakota the illegals will start moving over there

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I bet you did "Nazi" that coming!

If you click the link to the study itself from US News, you'll see that California is ranked #32 and the lower spaces are full of red state shitholes. The headline and the article are a straight up lie.

Uh I linked the us news study in that post and it clearly shows california at #50?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Addamere posted:

I'm an educated progressive, and even for me it was really baffling when I started looking up the GDP of American cities and comparing them to entire American states. Even middling, lackluster cities like the Minneapolis metro outproduce several entire states combined.

It's incredibly counter-intuitive, and unless you've actually been informed and are willing to believe it there is no reason to imagine a small minority of America produces most of the country's economic, financial, industrial, scientific, and technological output.

"But you'll starve without us!!!"

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

trump!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/Russian_Starr/status/969206644113641472

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

brugroffil posted:

"But you'll starve without us!!!"

most food for human eating is actually made by california; the nazi states only produce animal feed

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

California does have some really bad air quality but it's mainly in the shittiest parts of the state e.g. Bakersfield so

Maybe the "quality of life" there depends heavily on where exactly you live whereas who the gently caress besides oil workers and Minoc troops wants to live in North Dakota??

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

brugroffil posted:

no, they have California at 50

and North Dakota at #1 lolololololol

Not sure what you're looking at there, because I clicked the link to the study in the Fox News article and this is what I got:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arkansas is 7 lmao

what white supremacist put that together

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

brugroffil posted:

Uh I linked the us news study in that post and it clearly shows california at #50?

probably a chamber of commerce study where quality of living is "how much taxes u got lol"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

jk NJ is actually ok

*smacks table* no it isn't

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

brugroffil posted:

Lol Mississippi is #6, yeah something’s off here. Maybe this is a survey of the best places to chud it up?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Phi230 posted:

most food for human eating is actually made by california; the nazi states only produce animal feed

And large portions of that are actually exported rather than used/needed domestically

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Addamere posted:

its not really a small minority like 80% of americas population is urban

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
:black101: Unstoppable Nuclear Weapons :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Addamere posted:

Not to concede anything to rural chuds, but again this uses metrics that assign huge value to parasitic or bubble industries that either essentially don't reflect any reality, or shouldn't.

• Locked thread