Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm not in a great position for it at the moment, but I need to peep that catalog to see what I could get besides Return to Oz.

Here you go:
http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Disney_Movie_Club_Exclusive_DVDs

And just to add, it's working out well for me because pre-orders count for your commitment as well. So Coco and Thor: Ragnorok count as 2 out of my 5 films to buy at full price, which I was going to do anyways since I was going to buy them when they came out anyways.

IUG fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hell yeah. I was really bummed that Martin wasn't included in the Romero boxset they put out, nice to see them following up on it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Sure I'll join your poo poo if that means I can finally have a copy of Mr. Boogedy on DVD. :getin:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Rirse posted:

Since my digital movie/tv thread got archived, I will ask the question here. I found my Wall-E triple pack that has the bluray, dvd, and digital copy disc. I tried the disc and code in itunes, and while I got no message saying there wa a error, I got a prompt to login with my itunes account...and nothing. I just get booted to the music tab on itunes and the movie doesn't show up in my account. I was going to email Disney digital support site about this, but got some dumb error there.
It should still work. You could google xml workaround and try it out, I redeemed an xml through that not too long ago that was fairly old.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

Sure I'll join your poo poo if that means I can finally have a copy of Mr. Boogedy on DVD. :getin:

I need an email address to send the invite.

Just be sure to read those terms and services. I've only been a member about a month, but so long you know what you go into, I don't think it's a scam yet. So long you know you're going to buy 5 films at full price. Plus tax and shipping. Here's what I bought so far, and this should count as three commitments (Thor doesn't count yet as it didn't ship).

Item BDC-US-PRINCESS AND FROG W/DHD
Qty 1
Price $1.00
Ext Price $1.00
Item BDC-ALICE IN WONDERLAND W/DVD
Qty 1
Price $1.00
Ext Price $1.00
Item BDC-US-SNOW WHITE W/DVD+DHD
Qty 1
Price $1.00
Ext Price $1.00
Item BDC-US-PINOCCHIO W/DVD+HD WDSC
Qty 1
Price $1.00
Ext Price $1.00
Item BDC-US-LION KING W/DVD+DIG2017
Qty 1
Price $0.00
Ext Price $0.00
Item Subtotal $5.00
Total $5.00

Item BDC-TANGLED (W/DVD)
Qty 1
Price $29.95
Ext Price $29.95
Item Subtotal $33.90
Total $33.90

Item BDC-US-COCO W/DVD+DHD
Qty 1
Price $24.95
Ext Price $24.95
Estimated Delivery Date 02/27/18
Item Subtotal $24.95
Shipping and Processing $3.95
Total $28.90

Item BDC-US-MRVL-THOR:RGNARKDVD+DHD
Qty 1
Price $29.99
Ext Price $29.99
Estimated Delivery Date 03/06/18
Item Subtotal $33.94
Total $33.94

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm glad I'm not that only one that had that thought

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This would be a day one buy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ruddiger posted:

Hell yeah. I was really bummed that Martin wasn't included in the Romero boxset they put out, nice to see them following up on it.

I really, really want this to be Martin but I'd rather not get my hopes up. The video release of this movie has been a monumental clusterfuck for years.

Vince MechMahon posted:

This would be a day one buy.

There's already a Shout Factory blu-ray of Vampire's Kiss.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Looks like The Last House on the Left is one of the titles they're going to announce:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3484862/arrow-video-bringing-wes-cravens-last-house-left-blu-ray/

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

2001: A Space Odyssey UHD coming in May..... in France and Germany.

No US or UK release date yet.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Luckily UHD is regionless

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I really, really want this to be Martin but I'd rather not get my hopes up. The video release of this movie has been a monumental clusterfuck for years.

Arrow did the UK Martin blu from a few years ago. I guess the problem with it is the same as the Dawn of the Dead, in that whoever has the US distribution rights is asking an outrageous sum to help pay back debt on a 3D conversion of the Dead films that nobody asked for.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

zenintrude posted:

Luckily UHD is regionless

It loving better be. Aside from licensing like that being such bullshit, they’re in no position to limit UHD distribution. I’m picking up UHDs here and there as part of pre-orders of new movies. I don’t have a UHD TV yet and don’t really want one. I’ve got quite a few 3D Blu-Rays and I don’t wanna give that up (Dredd in 3D is so much better.) I also don’t see me replacing my Blu-Rays w UHD copies because half the format is still just upscales. I was bummed to hear It was shot in 2K, and that HDR was meh. I thought It was gonna be a benchmark for 4K w HDR.

I’ve been wondering recently what the hell is gonna happen to the physical market. Best Buy is killing their CD sections in the next month or two, and those were down to like... 4 sections in one of the company’s hallmark stores. There’s basically no 3D, and Marvel isn’t even releasing 3D copies of Black Panther or Thor: Ragnarok in the US which is suuuuuch bullshit. UHD has maybe 2 sections and I don’t think it will ever get beyond that.

I know that’s just stores but it really does speak to the diminished demand for physical media. Media used to be the 2nd or 3rd largest department on BBY stores. It started shrinking in 09, so less then ten years for digital and online shopping to fundamentally change how we acquire media.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Physical is gonna be like Laserdisc - it'll exist for the people who want it and are willing to pay a premium for it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Not blu ray but it only came out on DVD:

What the gently caress is up with the packaging on the new Kids In The Hall box set? An amazing set and well worth the purchase of course, but goddamn. It's just an open box with a little cardboard slip that covers the top and all the disks are just in loose sleeves with the publishing company's branding on them.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Unmature posted:

What the gently caress is up with the packaging on the new Kids In The Hall box set? An amazing set and well worth the purchase of course, but goddamn. It's just an open box with a little cardboard slip that covers the top and all the disks are just in loose sleeves with the publishing company's branding on them.

Sounds kind of like the Larry Sanders Show DVD boxset from Mill Creek.

Also, the quality on those Sanders discs are the worst. Sound is off, and image is terrible. Still, it's Larry Sanders, so I put up with it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Uhd hasn't been that expensive. If you watch for deals it's just as cheap as Blu-ray. And I think uhd is just as expensive Blu Ray during the early times of Blu Ray as well. The msrp is higher but with best buy doing lots of sales and Amazon never charges msrp, who honestly pays msrp these days?

Good to hear it sounds like by default uhd is region less?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

business hammocks posted:

Arrow did the UK Martin blu from a few years ago. I guess the problem with it is the same as the Dawn of the Dead, in that whoever has the US distribution rights is asking an outrageous sum to help pay back debt on a 3D conversion of the Dead films that nobody asked for.

That they refuse to actually release, no less. :psyduck: Like, I'd actually be totally down to see Dawn of the Dead in 3D if they'd loving actually release the goddamn thing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

There’s basically no 3D, and Marvel isn’t even releasing 3D copies of Black Panther or Thor: Ragnarok in the US which is suuuuuch bullshit.

Why would they make new 3D disks when current TVs have abandoned the feature?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Unmature posted:

I read that the special features are all exclusive to some Mill Creek streaming service? :psyduck:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I don’t even care if it’s lovely Mill Creek packaging its KiTH and I need this.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I read that the special features are all exclusive to some Mill Creek streaming service? :psyduck:

poo poo, really? I haven't checked for those yet. It comes with a digital copy, but yeah it's through their proprietary bullshit

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

business hammocks posted:

The blu-ray was cancelled, there's only a DVD and it's region locked. At the very least, the Dawn of the Dead blu-ray from Anchor Bay is really good.

edit: Mill Creek should be called Diarrhea Creek.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

2001: A Space Odyssey UHD coming in May.....

We have to assume this is a new scan, right? Releasing the old one on UHD would make no sense, as I don't believe they even scanned a 70mm print - it looks more like a 2K scan of 35mm. So hopefully this means a new Blu-ray of the film as well.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hbos release of the Larry sanders show was quite good iirc

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm putting my money on the US release being through Criterion. If they're going to dip their toes in UHD, that's the title to do it. Especially since it looks like the French release has identical extras to the existing Blu-ray. I don't see WB just issuing a 4K in the US for the 50th anniversary with nothing new.

WB usually includes whatever existing Blu-ray there is for the 4K releases, which is unfortunate. I've actually read that Goodfellas doesn't even include the 4K remaster Blu, but the original release instead. And Blade Runner included DVDs for the extras and alternate cuts for Blade Runner.

Though, I'm really hoping a 4K restoration of 2001 would get a theatrical release. It's not part of the TCM Big Screen Classics schedule. Then again, WB opted not to give it a re-release back in 2001 either.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

Hbos release of the Larry sanders show was quite good iirc

Was that the black box with the thin cases in it? I loooved that set and lost it in a move

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Then again, WB opted not to give it a re-release back in 2001 either.

:bang:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unmature posted:

Was that the black box with the thin cases in it? I loooved that set and lost it in a move

Yep. I have mine somewheres too löst to the ether

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm putting my money on the US release being through Criterion. If they're going to dip their toes in UHD, that's the title to do it. Especially since it looks like the French release has identical extras to the existing Blu-ray. I don't see WB just issuing a 4K in the US for the 50th anniversary with nothing new.

WB usually includes whatever existing Blu-ray there is for the 4K releases, which is unfortunate. I've actually read that Goodfellas doesn't even include the 4K remaster Blu, but the original release instead. And Blade Runner included DVDs for the extras and alternate cuts for Blade Runner.

Though, I'm really hoping a 4K restoration of 2001 would get a theatrical release. It's not part of the TCM Big Screen Classics schedule. Then again, WB opted not to give it a re-release back in 2001 either.

They've definitely got the relationship with WB and are now truly on the Kubrick train, so I'd hope that it'll come through via them.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

I’m goddamned stoked for the SF blu release of Of Unknown Origin. One of my all-time favorites.

”Watch and weep you furry fucker.”

curlys gold fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 28, 2018

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Anyone into silent comedy should check out CineMuseum's new website:
https://cinemuseumllc.com

These are the guys that did the Mack Sennett collection on Blu-ray a few years ago. First new release is a Fatty Arbuckle feature that's been unavailable since 1921 from a new 4K restoration.

They're also working on another Sennett set, a collection of Arbuckle films, and Buster Keaton rarities.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Found a Criterion blu ray at a thrift store for 1.99. The Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter. I've never seen it so I'm excited.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

It’s very good... Keith Richards vibing on Wild Horses for the very first time is gold

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Boinks posted:

Found a Criterion blu ray at a thrift store for 1.99. The Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter. I've never seen it so I'm excited.

I loved it, the Altamont footage is amazing

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

I just found out about it but Takeshi Kitano's entire back catalogue of directed movies got released in supposedly region free, english subtitled bluray back in september. I ordered got a couple of them off amazon japan while they have a sale the next couple days but the shipping/import fees probably would turn off most. They're not that cheap individually either but I believe it's the first time some of them have been released other than DVD

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

handsome only face posted:

I just found out about it but Takeshi Kitano's entire back catalogue of directed movies got released in supposedly region free, english subtitled bluray back in september. I ordered got a couple of them off amazon japan while they have a sale the next couple days but the shipping/import fees probably would turn off most. They're not that cheap individually either but I believe it's the first time some of them have been released other than DVD

That rules. Let us know if they are really region free because many of them never had a good US release or the blu-rays are out of print and stupid expensive now.

edit: I just looked it up and a whole bunch of them are available as region 1 releases.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Japan is blu-ray region A so if you're in the US any imports should play just fine.

• Locked thread