Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I keep thinking to myself that I want to play the Hunting Horn but the idea of keeping track of notes and worrying about when to play and all that keeps putting me off.

I'll get to it in one of these games but I'm a simple guy. I like to push the buttons and hit things.

You're in luck, the HH is probably easier than ever!

It's a weapon that seems complicated at first if you think that you have to constantly be playing complicated combos to play songs while fighting, but in reality the buffs last long enough that most of the fight you'll be using it like any other weapon (aka. not worrying about what notes you're playing). The moveset is actually very compact and easy to use (even more "pres botan hit enemy" than the hammer) so the difficult part has always been 1) remembering your songs and 2) knowing when to re-apply buffs. Thankfully, World has managed to fix both of these in a single GUI element!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

When the list of melodies on the upper right of the screen is displayed in green that means you played it and it's active. If it's purple you did an encore of it (played it twice in a row by pressing R2 again immediately after the first time) and it's a stronger effect than usual. Greyed out simply means it's not active and you should toot away.

In this image attack up s and defense up s is displayed in green showing that they are currently active. Self improvement is displayed in purple to show that a stronger effect is active for it since the player performed an encore on it.

there are a lot of little things you can do with the Hunting Horn to improve even further (much like every weapon, really) but playing it at a decent level is easier than ever now :sax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I like the 3 bazel, 2 rath setup for earplugs 5 and weakness exploit 3. Has room for gems and with the charm you can make something good for pretty much anything. Also it looks good.

HGE, best skill in the game.

e: it also gives Guts and Crit Element, both are nice to have set bonuses.

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 1, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'll give HH a shot after I mess around with sword and board some more I guess :v:
One of the things that put me off was the "different trees have different songs" and always concerned that I'd whip myself into a branch with lovely songs like oh boy mud resistance I'm sure my team fighting a hell dragon in a volcano appreciates that. Here maybe they could use palico rally in this 4 man team or something equally silly.

Inspector_666 posted:

Each gem and slot has a "level" indicated by the icon and the little pips underneath it:

Depending on your TV it may be hard to make it all out, it's not a very well-done system in my opinion.

You know seeing it like this makes things way more understandable. I had no idea what the exclamation mark meant on my jewel icons :v:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Impact mantel and spread HBG is very satisfying.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Right now I'm trying to make a gunlance set, but I need probably two Anjanath gems to get my Artillery charm from rank 1 -> 3. At the same time, it's also tempting to farm tempered elders for a shot at an Artillery decoration, or stumbling upon another good deco or weapon augment I could use for that set or just for any set. For every Anjanath kill where I don't get a gem, I always think to myself that I could have just done a tempered fight. I think my main issue with this game is that non-elders basically always drop poo poo decorations, and you have to choose between a normal investigation for bonus rewards or a tempered investigation that gives you gems. If I'm just gem hunting for something useful, Elders are your only option, and I'm getting kind of bored of the same four fights. Granted, I've spent a TON of time on this game, but I'd easily spend a lot more on it if I could grind any monster I wanted for high-level decorations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a link back to that post talking about the LBG Normal Shot 2 build? I can't seem to dig it up.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Huxley posted:

Does anyone have a link back to that post talking about the LBG Normal Shot 2 build? I can't seem to dig it up.

That was me

Karma LBG
Dragon Eyepatch
Dober Mail
Teostra Gauntlets
Nergigante Coil
Kirin Greaves
Normal Shot Charm

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'll give HH a shot after I mess around with sword and board some more I guess :v:
One of the things that put me off was the "different trees have different songs" and always concerned that I'd whip myself into a branch with lovely songs like oh boy mud resistance I'm sure my team fighting a hell dragon in a volcano appreciates that. Here maybe they could use palico rally in this 4 man team or something equally silly.

They're privileged to have you there at all. They better take that mud resistance and be thankful for it :colbert:

Really though, most horns aren't gonna have a full list of useful songs. A lot of songs are only situationally useful or just... not that useful. The good thing is that it means you don't have to keep all the songs up at all times! :v: Generally I feel like you'll have 1-2 songs that you try to keep up always (usually attack, defense, earplugs, that sorta stuff) and use the rest as it makes sense. You can check what songs are on a horn in the upgrade menu by tabbing to the right (R2) but really, the most important thing when tooting is style :sax:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

That was me

Karma LBG
Dragon Eyepatch
Dober Mail
Teostra Gauntlets
Nergigante Coil
Kirin Greaves
Normal Shot Charm

[thumb's up emoji]

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Until I get some Grinder gems, I'm not giving up these Alloy pants. Speed Sharpening 2 is so nice.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sword and Shield... I'm not sure if there's a right or wrong B'n'B to be going for but I kinda like it.
SnS Bread-and-Butter Combo

Step 1: Start the combo by holding R2 and pressing Triangle. That's your first hit.

Step 2: Continue the triangle combo by pressing Triangle twice. This gets you two more hits.

Step 3: Switch to the Circle combo by pressing Circle twice. Two more hits.

Step 4: Choose how to end the combo.
  • Ending 1: Press Circle one more time for a big roundhouse swing. It's the most damaging move in the combo but has lots of ending lag that prevents you from easily chaining it into another move. If you want to do another combo, go to Step 1.
  • Ending 2: Tilt the left joystick in a different direction than what you've been facing and press Triangle twice. If you want to do another combo, go to Step 2.

You can end the combo early at any point by pressing Triangle and Circle together: this will do that big damaging roundhouse swing.

Aerial Attacks

Step 1: Hold back on the left stick and press Circle at any time during a combo to do a backhop that has lots of invincibility frames. You can use this to dodge monster attacks and roars.
Step 2: Hold down the Circle button when you land from your backhop to charge up your SnS for a big hit. You'll automatically leap forward after a few seconds or when you release Circle. If you hit the monster with your leap, you will automatically jump into the air.
Step 3: Choose which aerial attack to use.
  • Triangle will do a quick aerial attack for mounting damage. You maintain your aerial momentum with this move.
  • Circle stops you dead in midair and you perform a shield slam in a straight line down to the ground. This is the most powerful move in the SnS arsenal and does tons of KO damage if you nail the monster in the head with it.

Regardless of whether you press Triangle or Circle in midair, the moment you land you can hold back on the left joystick and press Circle to do another backhop.

Roundabout Route fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 1, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Until I get some Grinder gems, I'm not giving up these Alloy pants. Speed Sharpening 2 is so nice.

:yeah:

I lucked into enough Grinder gems to put Speed Sharpening 3 on any set I want to, which is amazing. Unfortunately I don't really have too many other great gems, though I guess the upside is that I usually have room to slot all three Grinder gems, so hey, it's not all bad.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

regular brain: get speed sharpening gems
Woke brajn: use teostra 3-piece set and never lose sharpening.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Too bad gunlance shells can't crit.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Astroniomix posted:

Too bad gunlance shells can't crit.

Yeah, speed sharpening was nice on my hammers just as a bonus, but it seems mandatory with gunlances given how certain moves will take off a shitload of sharpness no matter what. It's probably exacerbated by my lack of handicraft stuff, too.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

v1ld posted:

Does anything else cause a CB to be auto sheathed other than running? It's set to manual sheathing but I still occasionally find myself waiting for the double slash charge sound and look to see it's been sheathed.

Just hitting R1 or L3, as far as I know.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

regular brain: get speed sharpening gems
Woke brajn: use teostra 3-piece set and never lose sharpening.

Super-Woke Brain: Use Speed Sharpen jewels and the Odogaron set bonus jewel to never lose sharpness on any armor set you want.

I do this with my Great Luck set and receive all the monster gems as a reward.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Roundabout Route posted:

Super-Woke Brain: Use Speed Sharpen jewels and the Odogaron set bonus jewel to never lose sharpness on any armor set you want.

I do this with my Great Luck set and receive all the monster gems as a reward.

Galaxy Brain: Get Bludgeoner and not care about sharpness at all.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
SnS owns

It's been pretty forgiving of my button mashing too, it's fun that I feel like I'm actually getting combos and not just randomly doing poo poo (like I get in a good groove and it feels deliberate and also I like watching all those orange numbers rack up)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Roundabout Route posted:

Super-Woke Brain: Odogaron set bonus jewel

It has to drop first :argh:

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
So I had my first not-fun fight of the game last night (aside from gimmick bosses)! Which is pretty good, considering 140 hours or something.

Took a tempered Rathalos investigation, and it puts us in Elder Recess which is weird, cause I've never seen a red Rath there. Azure Rath and Bazel immediately show up and WILL NOT LEAVE despite dung bombs. It's 20 minutes straight of ping-ponging off roars and explosions and wings covering the whole screen. It's a friggin mess.

The one time I fail to take earplugs cause I was trying a new armor build :D

On a side note, Crit Boost doesn't seem worth the hassle, at least not for slow weapons.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah why do dung bombs fail like that? Can monsters resist them?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dung bombs have never been a guaranteed thing, I don't know if the skill is in world but in the old games there was skill called DungMaster (lol!) that made it so they worked maybe 100% of the time, it seemed like it did but I don't know if anyone cared enough to test it. Whenever I got it from eating the bombs worked 100%.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Chewbot posted:

So I had my first not-fun fight of the game last night (aside from gimmick bosses)! Which is pretty good, considering 140 hours or something.

Took a tempered Rathalos investigation, and it puts us in Elder Recess which is weird, cause I've never seen a red Rath there. Azure Rath and Bazel immediately show up and WILL NOT LEAVE despite dung bombs. It's 20 minutes straight of ping-ponging off roars and explosions and wings covering the whole screen. It's a friggin mess.

The one time I fail to take earplugs cause I was trying a new armor build :D

On a side note, Crit Boost doesn't seem worth the hassle, at least not for slow weapons.

Bazelgeuse is an Evolved Monster; he wasn't around in the earlier games, but he was in the shadows taking on evolutionary traits. He knows what it means to have poo poo thrown on him by a human. While most monsters will run away to wash it off, Bazelgeuse predicts the future and magically shows up in the next area you move to.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Universe Brain: Just use a bow

EDIT:

big nipples big life posted:

Dung bombs have never been a guaranteed thing, I don't know if the skill is in world but in the old games there was skill called DungMaster (lol!) that made it so they worked maybe 100% of the time, it seemed like it did but I don't know if anyone cared enough to test it. Whenever I got it from eating the bombs worked 100%.

Dungmaster is in MHW as a daily food skill at the canteen.

Roundabout Route fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 1, 2018

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah why do dung bombs fail like that? Can monsters resist them?

They sure can! Basil Goose for example has a 30% chance to resist them.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So what are the end game Armor builds for Switch Axe? I've seen some discussion and I'm trying to debate how many points in like Earplugs, Evade Window and Extender i should go for.....
I'm rocking the Nergi Axe, as I am confused by the Elemental stuff, and I feel like trying to fix the Diablos Axe is a loving headache.

Also, for Nerg Axe, handicraft doesn't do anything does?

I'm also super butt-hurt my earplugs 3 gem doesnt give 3 points in earplugs lmao.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Waroduce posted:

Also, for Nerg Axe, handicraft doesn't do anything does?

Nerg weapons have a full sharpness bar, so handicraft doesn't do anything.

Waroduce posted:

I'm also super butt-hurt my earplugs 3 gem doesnt give 3 points in earplugs lmao.

loving same. I got so excited when I saw it and then got all sad when I checked.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Roundabout Route posted:

Universe Brain: Just use a bow

EDIT:

Dungmaster is in MHW as a daily food skill at the canteen.

It's also a 1 point armor skill but kiranico is broken so I can't see what pieces it's on.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Neo_Crimson posted:

If World works the same way as past games this'll work until below green, at which strange things will begin to occur with your damage. Mid swing damage reduction or something along those lines, I can't remember specifics

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Zodack posted:

If World works the same way as past games this'll work until below green, at which strange things will begin to occur with your damage. Mid swing damage reduction or something along those lines, I can't remember specifics

I haven't tested it myself but I've heard some chatter that Bludgeoner in World removes the yellow sharpness penalty, which would make it really good at yellow sharpness. No hard confirmation though.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I love playing bugstick, but learning hunting horn was like gazing into the Amigara fault. Now I boop all the snoots while humming a violent version of Little Drummer Boy.

I'll play my drum for you, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum
Cave in that skull for you, pa-rum-pum-pum-pum

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Are goons still using the PS4 squad sessions much? I'm in failynes, catgirls and goonhorns, but they're all typically empty most evenings - although I am on UK time so it might just be timezones. Just want to farm some nergs with goonchums.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

endolithic posted:

I love playing bugstick, but learning hunting horn was like gazing into the Amigara fault. Now I boop all the snoots while humming a violent version of Little Drummer Boy.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I love switch axe but I've also fallen in love with HBG shotgun knight.

Brother: "You know that's a ranged weapon, right?"

Me (slowly backpedaling while pumping spread shot point blank into Nergigante's face) "Meh."

E: also, waiting for a monster to drop/get stunned and unloading wyvernheart into them is one of the most cathartic things ever.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 1, 2018

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bubbapook posted:

Are goons still using the PS4 squad sessions much? I'm in failynes, catgirls and goonhorns, but they're all typically empty most evenings - although I am on UK time so it might just be timezones. Just want to farm some nergs with goonchums.

SoS is multiplayer unless you know people IRL.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

endolithic posted:

I took it to fight Kirin. Kirin doesn't want to listen to the song of my people but I'll make him

:toot: doot doot motherfucker :sax:

also post your cattes itt

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

For shame if your cat isn't forever running Kula's turban with the handlebar mustache. For shame, I say.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My cat has Odog armor and a Galajaka hat, last night my friend thought he was an actual Galajaka and attacked him, it was quite rude.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

enojy posted:

Bazelgeuse is an Evolved Monster; he wasn't around in the earlier games, but he was in the shadows taking on evolutionary traits. He knows what it means to have poo poo thrown on him by a human. While most monsters will run away to wash it off, Bazelgeuse predicts the future and magically shows up in the next area you move to.

He will bomb you in camp. No joke I've seen it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
My cat will get Devil J Ho equipment ASAP because I'm tired of all the endgame cats including mine wearing Xeno due to highest numbers.