Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Mike the TV posted:

The Guardian equipment is unlocked by delivering materials to technology brokers, not by doing missions. You just need to go to the Guardian sites (all the ones you need are in the galnet article) and scan columns and blow up bad guys in your SRV. There are easy puzzles to do at some of them. I'd suggest doing one once, but are not necessary to getting the materials you need.
The tech brokers are all over, but if you have access to Jameson Memorial there is one there.

Wait, what does this mean? You can just skip engineers and get better upgrades this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my understanding of it is the pecking order goes
-vanilla modules
-engineered vanilla modules or guardian modules
-engineered guardian modules

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hull and module reinforcements, SCB.

Just one of each? :confused: That seems like... whatever the opposite of min-maxing is.

How much good is a single class 4 SCB even doing to a grade 5 or 6 shield when you're getting drilled in combat? In my FDL, I've always had to chain two SCBs together to make them worth a drat

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It’s what I ran on the beta and it worked out well. I’m a filthy casual though.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Sekenr posted:

Wait, what does this mean? You can just skip engineers and get better upgrades this way?

Think of it more like power play modules, specifically like the prismatic shield. They are an unlockable item that powerful on their own. The guardian power plant can be engineered too, which rules.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

power play modules are another thing i'm completely in the dark about after all these years

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

power play modules are another thing i'm completely in the dark about after all these years

Same, i've never felt the burning need for them, and powerplay itself has never even kinda enticed me.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

I was big into them for a while until the third or so balancing pass on my advanced plasma accelerators turned them into big Nerf guns. I hear they are better now, but it really soured me to the whole thing after logging in one day to suddenly not doing any worthwhile damage.

Prismatic Shields have always been kinda cool though. Not always useful, but neat anyway.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

more than anything from what i understand aside from the initial grind you have to do for each powerplay faction to unlock access to the module they offer, you also have to continually turn in missions over the course of a week in order to maintain access to the module? which is something that i never really felt enthusiastic about participating in since you can lose the bonus you bothered grinding out from simple inactivity

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Yes, but you never lose the module unless you sell it. So buy several, then ditch the power. This is easy now with module storage.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's more that it sounds like a lot of effort for results that aren't particularly great

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

then again that's kind of elite dangerous' whole shtick isn't it

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Packhound missiles look fun enough to be worth the grind, but I still haven't done it.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Packhound missiles look fun enough to be worth the grind, but I still haven't done it.

Unlike a lot of the other PP modules they are basically a straight upgrade from the non-PP version. They do come with a few quirks like not working at point blank but are generally considered worth it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Good news and bad news:

Good news is I got my DBX to over 58 LY for jump range.

The bad news is it's impossible to break 60 in it without dropping the SRV hanger (59 is possible, but that requires extreme min-maxing).

TO COLONIA I GO!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man i just looked it up and aside from just being a straight rank grind the powerplay modules require you to be pledged to a power for 4 weeks straight before buying them? that is insane to me

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Cowcaster posted:

What, you don't want to sit on your hands for an entire IRL month, then do a bunch of repetitive busywork to get some equipment you can't engineer?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Trustworthy posted:

What, you don't want to sit on your hands for an entire IRL month, then do a bunch of repetitive busywork to get some equipment you can't engineer?

wowzers i didn't even know they were unengineerable too. this situation is about 10x worse than i imagined and i didn't even want to do the 1/10th version

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Cowcaster posted:

wowzers i didn't even know they were unengineerable too. this situation is about 10x worse than i imagined and i didn't even want to do the 1/10th version

Some can be engineered, some can't. The wait is supposedly so you're more likely to help the Power, but gently caress that lol

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have engineered power play modules, so unless that changed with the new patch, they are able to be modified by engineers.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Giovanni0109 posted:

I have engineered power play modules, so unless that changed with the new patch, they are able to be modified by engineers.

The only power play module I know of that can't be modified is the mining lance, but that's because mining lasers can't be modded yet.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

I have unlocked most of the powerplay modules, basically you join the faction, sit around for 3 weeks, and then grind up 750 merits to unlock the module. The most enjoyable way to get to 750 merits is undermining in Bunda (an anarchy system right next to Shinrata Dezhra) by interdicting and killing NPCs called "Federal Courier" that spawn in the system. Each Federal Courier gives you 30 powerplay merits, so you need to kill 25 of them, they're all trade ships so you end up getting a bunch of useful materials also.

As far as usefulness goes, the Pack Hound Missiles and Prismatic Shields are really good, everything else is pretty niche.

Bumbler fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 1, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i sure would like to try out a cluster missile launcher on my spaceship, in about a month or so

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cowcaster posted:

i sure would like to try out a cluster missile launcher on my spaceship, in about a month or so

Tis the will of the Brown Sea

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bumbler posted:

I have unlocked most of the powerplay modules, basically you join the faction, sit around for 3 weeks, and then grind up 750 merits to permanently unlock the module. The most enjoyable way to get to 750 merits is undermining in Bunda (an anarchy system right next to Shinrata Dezhra) by interdicting and killing NPCs called "Federal Courier" that spawn in the system. Each Federal Courier gives you 30 powerplay merits, so you need to kill 25 of them, they're all trade ships so you end up getting a bunch of useful materials also.

As far as usefulness goes, the Pack Hound Missiles and Prismatic Shields are really good, everything else is pretty niche.

It's not permanent: you lose access to the module when you go below the required rank (if you do the minimum, decay will take 1 week) or change factions. :eng101:

Powerplay is avoidable unless you ~really~ want to do big ship PVP (you need prismatics) or just ~really~ want to live out your gundam fantasy (you need packhounds). It is relatively painless: sign up, wait three weeks, then kill ~35 :turianass: bad hombres :turianass: and turn the merits in to the faction.

iospace posted:

Good news and bad news:

Good news is I got my DBX to over 58 LY for jump range.

The bad news is it's impossible to break 60 in it without dropping the SRV hanger (59 is possible, but that requires extreme min-maxing).

TO COLONIA I GO!

Did you try an up-powered 1A or 2A guardian plant? Lightweight everything? Strip weapons and utilities?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so is it the case that even if i plan on never participating in powerplay ever i might as well pledge to aisling duval now since she's got what seems to be the most desirable powerplay module and so if i ever change my mind i'll have the time sink already out of the way?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Yes.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Are they adding a limpet controller thing to the game yet or do you still need like a billion different types of limpets?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

so is it the case that even if i plan on never participating in powerplay ever i might as well pledge to aisling duval now since she's got what seems to be the most desirable powerplay module and so if i ever change my mind i'll have the time sink already out of the way?

Note though that while pledged to a power you'll be harassed by NPCs from other powers if/when you run into them. It's not a tremendous problem, but can be annoying when you just want to be left alone.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's not permanent: you lose access to the module when you go below the required rank (if you do the minimum, decay will take 1 week) or change factions. :eng101:

Powerplay is avoidable unless you ~really~ want to do big ship PVP (you need prismatics) or just ~really~ want to live out your gundam fantasy (you need packhounds). It is relatively painless: sign up, wait three weeks, then kill ~35 :turianass: bad hombres :turianass: and turn the merits in to the faction.

True, I guess permanent was a bad choice of words. You have to buy the module the week you unlock it, but once you obtain it then it's yours permanently and you can store extras in module storage. Now my module storage is cluttered up with a bunch of extra copies of powerplay weapons that I never use, thank god they doubled the module storage limit

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bumbler posted:

True, I guess permanent was a bad choice of words. You have to buy the module the week you unlock it, but once you obtain it then it's yours permanently and you can store extras in module storage. Now my module storage is cluttered up with a bunch of extra copies of powerplay weapons that I never use, thank god they doubled the module storage limit

Oh right on! I think we are on the same page now.

So I figured out it didn't stop registering my trigger pulls so much as delete and reset all of my bindings. :pwn:

Is there any way to recover my pre-patch bindings?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Did you try an up-powered 1A or 2A guardian plant? Lightweight everything? Strip weapons and utilities?

It would have to be a 1A plant because I'm using a 2A normal already. Basically as it stands, I would have to remove more weight than I have the ability to do so unless I want to drop the hanger. I don't have a 100% maxed FSD (:effort:), but it's at the last roll before being maxed out, so I doubt it would add enough to compensate.

Either way, 58+LY is a good range and I'm happy with it. I'm already out of the bubble and on my way to Colonia with stops on the way.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

on an entirely different topic, with the new way engineering works what happens if you decide you want to switch the kind of upgrade you want on a module? do you have to run it through everything from scratch? can you switch to an upgrade the same level as the one it already has?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Knifegrab posted:

Are they adding a limpet controller thing to the game yet or do you still need like a billion different types of limpets?

Creating some kind of unified limpet module sounds like something they'll be implementing in the near future, but it's not here yet

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Trustworthy posted:

Creating some kind of unified limpet module sounds like something they'll be implementing in the near future, but it's not here yet

They talked about it and it sounded like limpet controller might become a container module like SRV and Fighter bays and you choose what kind of limpets you want to be able to use by filling the slots. I don't think an ETA was mentioned on it.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

So I figured out it didn't stop registering my trigger pulls so much as delete and reset all of my bindings. :pwn:

Check which preset you're set to and also what other ones you have available. I had all of my binds in the 'custom' preset, but the game switched to a different preset when it couldn't detect my X52. Once I fixed the detection issue, I had to then manually switch back to the custom preset which restored all of my old binds.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I know this is the ED thread however I don't see a general space sim thread so figured I'd ask here.

Has anyone played Helium Rain? Looks like s pretty neat space game

http://store.steampowered.com/app/681330/Helium_Rain/

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

I know this is the ED thread however I don't see a general space sim thread so figured I'd ask here.

Has anyone played Helium Rain? Looks like s pretty neat space game

http://store.steampowered.com/app/681330/Helium_Rain/

The graphics remind me of a cheap knock-off X3

Also ick, early access

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Not unless you backed them up. This comes about every patch, sadly. After you perfect your bindings this time, make sure you save the keybind file (google for the location). I have mine backed up on my Google Drive.

Cowcaster posted:

on an entirely different topic, with the new way engineering works what happens if you decide you want to switch the kind of upgrade you want on a module? do you have to run it through everything from scratch? can you switch to an upgrade the same level as the one it already has?

I think you have to redo it from scratch, unless you're just changing the experimental effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

A fully tricked out chieftan is basically a perfect USS and mission runner. I’ve yet to fight thargoid scouts in it because I don’t know how to find them and I’m scared but for rapidly gathering mats it’s basically perfect.

• Locked thread