Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
In terms of seeds, to get a stock of them early on what you actually need to do is go mining. Seek out growing plants to uproot, while also finding seeds buried in the ground. Just mine out whole segments. You'll get a ton of mealwood and bristle seeds around your starting point, and loads of dusk cap seeds from the slime areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Slime posted:

In terms of seeds, to get a stock of them early on what you actually need to do is go mining

this so much

Once you get a basic layout done, make shafts into those "plant caves" to get those important seeds, not to mention that you can forage a decent amount of food to help before your farm gets going.

Also, any benefit of having farm tiles over planter boxes?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Fungal spores won't use planter boxes. If you are trying to minimize the space your base takes, tiles will let you only use 3 air spaces instead of four.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
How important is the germ thing early on? Should I make it a priority to try to rush a wash station before any dupes need to use an outhouse?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ambaire posted:

How important is the germ thing early on? Should I make it a priority to try to rush a wash station before any dupes need to use an outhouse?

It's not a big deal honestly. You can probably make an outhouse, then wait until you have actual plumbing and make a proper sink.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
You can set up an outhouse with a wash basin in front in 1 cycle.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, one outhouse and wash basin with a door (for the mood bonus) is the way to go. Just know that you'll want to expand it to the 16 wide max size room someday so don't build behind it. I like doing it on the far edge of where I know I'm planning to build (into the granite/abyssalite, basically) so I can eventually have one washroom on either side of my base.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Honestly I set up a 2 Outhouse/2 Wash Basin bathroom easy-peasy on the first cycle. The biggest deal with the wash-basin is that you gotta set up an area to be your polluted water "tank" to unload the bottles into. And while technically polluted water does poison the breathable air, if you build the tank down low you'll end up with a nice gas seal of CO2 separating the taint-juice from your precious oxygen.

Later on you'll get the whole plumbing setup which is just so nice on so many levels when you get to it (finally reached it for the first time) which leads me to ask...how do you remove the germs from your filtered water? My tiny little brown-water tank was starting to fill up once I set up a pair of oxygen scrubbers (those things are so amazing and it felt so good ripping up those water-hungry algae piles) so I had to rush filtration. And in a brilliant move I just pumped the stuff back into my water reservoir, not realizing the filtration wouldn't kill the bugs. So now I'm just gonna sit back and watch the madness take place, but I'd like to know how to avoid this mess in the future.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Either dump it into your steam geyser water tank and let the heat kill the germs or just don't filter your water and instead dump the polluted water directly into your fertilizer makers / plants that take polluted water.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I make really tiled up bases with doors so O2 is highly pressurized and CO2 or anything else never comes in. The base will become flooded with CO2 if the pressure even drops though.. Eventually I use a skimmer

Pool your pH2O. About 6 tile deep is more than enough. You need it later for peppers. I use a 3 stack system for sterilizing it. I'll post it later.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Dupes can jump one block from the ladder, you don't need 2 side-by-side, or so many rooms with individual doors(too much copper used)

Alkydere posted:

The biggest deal with the wash-basin is that you gotta set up an area to be your polluted water "tank" to unload the bottles into. And while technically polluted water does poison the breathable air, if you build the tank down low you'll end up with a nice gas seal of CO2 separating the taint-juice from your precious oxygen.
polluted oxygen is lighter than CO2, you're not going to be able to trap your germs like that as polluted water will generate polluted O2 if it's in contact with a gas

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Just seal off the polluted water tank behind an airlock and dump some deodorizers outside for the occasional time your duplicants need to go in there and release some piss gas from the piss storage room.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Pretty new to this game and I think my base is entering heat death and I could use some help figuring out how to stop it. I've been playing whack-a-mole moving my mealwood farms around but the whole base is getting pretty toasty now so food is going to be a problem.

I've got my power facilities and hydrolyzers wrapped up in insulating blocks, that seemed obvious from the heat map. After that I'm not sure where all the heat is coming from. The water pool that I'm drawing from for my hydrolyzer's has become pretty drat hot but I'm not sure if that's because it's soaking my ambient heat or if the filtered slime water I fed it into was hot to begin with or the CO2 Skimmer->Filter loop is doing it.

The only thing I can think of is building a monster vent system over to the cold biome but that's incredibly far away and I'd imagine I'd need a couple of them.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The most likely culprit for heat is that your electrolysers put out oxygen at 40c.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Pretty new to this game and I think my base is entering heat death and I could use some help figuring out how to stop it. I've been playing whack-a-mole moving my mealwood farms around but the whole base is getting pretty toasty now so food is going to be a problem.

I've got my power facilities and hydrolyzers wrapped up in insulating blocks, that seemed obvious from the heat map. After that I'm not sure where all the heat is coming from. The water pool that I'm drawing from for my hydrolyzer's has become pretty drat hot but I'm not sure if that's because it's soaking my ambient heat or if the filtered slime water I fed it into was hot to begin with or the CO2 Skimmer->Filter loop is doing it.

The only thing I can think of is building a monster vent system over to the cold biome but that's incredibly far away and I'd imagine I'd need a couple of them.

cool water and/or air. otherwise rip

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Bhodi posted:

The most likely culprit for heat is that your electrolysers put out oxygen at 40c.

Are there any cool tricks that work? Like sticking the electrolyzer in a room with a thermo regulator and pumping the O2 out.
Or is this not something I can build a self-sustaining loop for and I need the cold biomes to soak this heat?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I just scoured the map for every single wheezewort I could find, but you're gonna need 3 of them per electrolyzer and someone upthread said they reduced the number of them on the map, again. I don't think there are any good solutions currently. Heat is a persistent pervasive problem and the best you can do is put it off for a few hundred cycles until you consider your base "done". Hydrogen heat transfer rooms sort of work OK enough for air but not water right now.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Are there any cool tricks that work? Like sticking the electrolyzer in a room with a thermo regulator and pumping the O2 out.
Or is this not something I can build a self-sustaining loop for and I need the cold biomes to soak this heat?

Basically long term you need to find the entropy nullifier its a machine in one of the cold biomes, if you pump hydrogen into it cool will radiate from it, basically stick the electrolyzer in a sealed room, pump the hydrogen into the nullfier then the oxygen into two hvacs one on each side of the nullifier then back to your base. This will take an eternity to build unless you babysit/channel your dupes properly.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

socialsecurity posted:

Basically long term you need to find the entropy nullifier its a machine in one of the cold biomes, if you pump hydrogen into it cool will radiate from it, basically stick the electrolyzer in a sealed room, pump the hydrogen into the nullfier then the oxygen into two hvacs one on each side of the nullifier then back to your base. This will take an eternity to build unless you babysit/channel your dupes properly.

drat both those answers are pretty unsatisfying. My ice biome has exactly one of those plants and apparently I'd need like 12. Searching the map for a heat mcguffin and building a monster vent is annoying too.
I guess short term, I can put my guys in cool clothes and build a new mealworm farm closer to the ice biome.

Thanks!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nukelear v.2 posted:

drat both those answers are pretty unsatisfying. My ice biome has exactly one of those plants and apparently I'd need like 12. Searching the map for a heat mcguffin and building a monster vent is annoying too.
I guess short term, I can put my guys in cool clothes and build a new mealworm farm closer to the ice biome.

Thanks!

Yeah a while back the cold biome was closer to start then they moved it further away surrounding you with hot biome making your base heat up faster, then they reduced the number of wheezeorts, then they did it again. All of this without adding any new methods of cooling, all these changes + all the new stuff they do add is all at the top tier stuff, it's like they are making things way harder for new players while adding toys/chellange for the people with 300+cycle bases.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

cold oxygen build. it abuses a glitch but it doesn't have to.
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/87811-yet-another-self-powered-self-cooled-o2-module-updated

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Are there any good guides for heat stuff? The official wiki is pretty sparse with the occasional formula, and also out of date. I'd like to know of some strategies to mitigate heat build up, or even cool it, that don't rely on praying for a Wheeze Wort.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

cool water, pump it around the base. cool air, etc...those are the best ways to keep a base cool.
as far as cool specific places, using a themo regulator set up works well. i can post one later.

here is a good heat demonstration :words: heat loves to go up, hates going down, kinda inconsistent horizontally
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/79941-heat-transfer-in-gases/

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Ah perfect, that's what I was looking for, some way to build a self-sustaining loop. Though I would prefer not to use a glitch.

I did manage to stave off my death spiral with just two wheezeworts in my farm area.
Also did one air pump in my base and a thermoregulator in the ice biome, but the results of that seem pretty unimpressive. It might be more efficient to hydrolyze in the ice biome and then ship the cold air back.
Or just build one of these self contained, self cooling systems.

I'm still not clear on what the tempshift plate does, is it just a mass for soaking up hot/cold?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Ah perfect, that's what I was looking for, some way to build a self-sustaining loop. Though I would prefer not to use a glitch.

I did manage to stave off my death spiral with just two wheezeworts in my farm area.
Also did one air pump in my base and a thermoregulator in the ice biome, but the results of that seem pretty unimpressive. It might be more efficient to hydrolyze in the ice biome and then ship the cold air back.
Or just build one of these self contained, self cooling systems.

I'm still not clear on what the tempshift plate does, is it just a mass for soaking up hot/cold?

If you build them out of materials with high heat conductivity and low heat capacity (diamond is the best, followed by refined tungsten/gold) they redistribute heat very quickly.

If you use materials with high heat capacity then yes they buffer temperature shifts (because they have 800kg mass, it takes a lot of energy to raise the temperature)

One way to cool your base without endgame tech/materials (and refill your cold water reservoirs) is with ice sculptures. Or just build storage compactors and have your dupes gather ice chunks.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

did you know bleach stone in a storage compactor will kill germs from the inside?

temple fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 1, 2018

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I setup a conveyor system for the first time. It was neat but the resource time and job requirements were so high I'm not sure it was all that worth it in the end. Maybe if it used less refined metal or power or something.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

conveyors and sweepers make sense for inhospitable environments. they can fertilize sleet wheat and peepers without exposing dupes until harvest time. they can fertilize from the bottom of tiles too. The sweeper can be set up like:
[][][][][][][][][]
........s
[][][][][][][][][]
for max coverage and use a belt to carry in fertilizer. i think klei is encouraging having a dedicated tinkerer and refinery for the crafting purposes. there was a "machine shop" room previously that got patched out.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

That makes sense if they're going to make inhospitable environments more inhospitable. Make it harder to keep dupes in such areas and such.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

temple posted:

conveyors and sweepers make sense for inhospitable environments. they can fertilize sleet wheat and peepers without exposing dupes until harvest time. they can fertilize from the bottom of tiles too. The sweeper can be set up like:
[][][][][][][][][]
........s
[][][][][][][][][]
for max coverage and use a belt to carry in fertilizer. i think klei is encouraging having a dedicated tinkerer and refinery for the crafting purposes. there was a "machine shop" room previously that got patched out.

It might actually be very useful if automated freight systems could restrict access to Micronutrient Fertilizer, since it seems my farmers always like to dump every available bag of fertilizer onto a single plant.

It's hard to tell whether that is a bug I should report, or whether that is how it is supposed to function. I'm leaning toward "bug" since the effects don't change between 5 and 8 bags. :v:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am beginning to think that the game as it is works better with some cheat engine fiddling, like, early game is fairly straightforward once you have some pointers (thanks guys!), but by the time I have to set up pipes something goes terribly weird for me in which nothing gets done and pumping stuff doesn't seem... intuitive?

I don't know, I guess I should watch some let's play or something to figure out how to properly set the more advanced stuff :smith:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Alkydere posted:

That makes sense if they're going to make inhospitable environments more inhospitable. Make it harder to keep dupes in such areas and such.
Building anything far away from base is already a nightmare and that would just make it worse. It'd be hard to justify building dozens of tiles of machinery.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

dead comedy forums posted:

I am beginning to think that the game as it is works better with some cheat engine fiddling, like, early game is fairly straightforward once you have some pointers (thanks guys!), but by the time I have to set up pipes something goes terribly weird for me in which nothing gets done and pumping stuff doesn't seem... intuitive?

I don't know, I guess I should watch some let's play or something to figure out how to properly set the more advanced stuff :smith:

piping is like a reoccurring boss in this game. try using bridges and values to force liquids one direction. or make all the pipes first, connected to a liquid value turned off. then turn the value's pressure up a little to see what happens. you can make complicated stuff but its weird as poo poo sometimes when one systems works and in the next game, it doesn't.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bhodi posted:

Building anything far away from base is already a nightmare and that would just make it worse. It'd be hard to justify building dozens of tiles of machinery.

This is the problem the effort involved in building the system so far away is more then just doing what the system is gonna do anyway

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So onto base 4? 5? And I know there's supposed to be mysterious secrets and such (there was a blocked off room I never made it to on my old map) as the devs flesh out the game but I definitely found something strange:

Nearly 5 tons of Oxylite surrounded by Abyssalite. Also the Oxylite at the center is about -30 C.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You know about heating coils? That there is the anti-thesis of one of those. :v:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Oh, I ran into one of those. I assumed it was a reference to that horror manga about spirals and left it alone.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I have this 'temporary' dirty water storage. What's the best way to tile the walls/floor? There's a chlorine pocket 2 tiles to the right, so I can't just make the tank 1 larger around the edges. Or maybe I could... I've never actually done anything beyond the 'safe' center area so I have no idea how to handle chlorinated areas, or even slime areas.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Ambaire posted:

I have this 'temporary' dirty water storage. What's the best way to tile the walls/floor? There's a chlorine pocket 2 tiles to the right, so I can't just make the tank 1 larger around the edges. Or maybe I could... I've never actually done anything beyond the 'safe' center area so I have no idea how to handle chlorinated areas, or even slime areas.

granite won't crack with water pressure. it can be 1 tile thick and last. i'm not really sure if it is more complex than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If it's cause ocd and you must tile your pits, it looks like you're still early enough to mop it back up, replace with tile, then dump it back in. Or dump it in a not temporary mini pit.