Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have an easy aged bronze recipe? I’ve been doing a half-orc paladin and have done his armour with Tamiya Gun Metal washed with Nulin Oil and drybrushed with Tamiya Flat Aluminium. It looks pretty good but I think I need some contrast so I wanted to do the shoulder pads a different metal colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Booley posted:

By real compressor you mean something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/21-gal-25-hp-125-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61454.html. And your own garage to use it in. And earpro. Those guns are for painting cars/houses, not models.

Clearly not an Imperial Guard player...

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

dexefiend posted:

I finished painting a thing!

Shameless crossposting! I painted Alarielle tonight! 3 hours or so for her. The beetle has been done for 9 months

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I...uhh...I came here to cross-post from the oath thread but I'm.feeling really inadequate for some reason. That's stellar work, dexefiend!

Ah, gently caress it. Oath Thread Crossposting Time!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

:skeltal: Oath Complete! :skeltal:
Five 80's-action-figure-looking skelebros!

The monthly Challenge is the blood on their weapons. Their hearts may have stopped, but they still bleed for you.

I'm also claiming Take One for the Team, as they're meant to be a unified team of dead bads; and A Recipe for Success for the listing below!

These are the various paints, etc. that I've used on these models (a.k.a. A Recipe for Success, a.k.a. Every Paint Within 30 Feet):

Base
Golden Crackle Medium
Vallejo Black Lava
Vallejo Sandy Paste

Primer
Reaper Stynylrez Polyurethane Primers
(black, grey, and white)

Technical/Mediums
Citadel Lahmian Medium
Vallejo Glaze Medium

Paints
Army Painter Matt Black
Citadel Bloodletter Glaze
Citadel Celestra Grey
Citadel Naggaroth Night
Citadel Necron Compound Dry
Citadel Rakarth Flesh
Citadel Waywatcher Green Glaze
Privateer Press Cryx Bane Highlight
Privateer Press Cygnus Yellow
Privateer Press Gun Corps Brown
Privateer Press Rucksack Tan
Privateer Press Traitor Green
Vallejo Game Air Alien Purple
Vallejo Game Air Charred Brown
Vallejo Game Air Brassy Brass
Vallejo Game Air Glorious Gold
Vallejo Game Color Wolf Grey
Vallejo Metal Air Gun
Vallejo Metal Color Burnt Iron
Vallejo Metal Color Magnesium
Vallejo Model Color Black Grey
Vallejo Model Color Black Red
Vallejo Model Color Pale Sand
Vallejo Model Color Silver Grey

Washes
Army Painter Purple Tone
Citadel Agrax Earthshade
Citadel Athonian Camoshade
Citadel Nuln Oil
Citadel Nuln Oil Gloss

Effects
Citadel Blood for the Blood God
Citadel Nihilakh Oxide
Citadel Ryza Rust
Woodland Scenics Soft Flake Snow
Homebrew Snow Paste:
+ Elmer's White Glue
+ Woodland Scenics Soft Flake Snow
+ Privateer Press Frostbite
+ Citadel Skull White

Bonus Musical Accompaniment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO8oowJ67a4

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

dexefiend posted:

Shameless crossposting! I painted Alarielle tonight! 3 hours or so for her. The beetle has been done for 9 months

"Onward! To Fuddruckers!"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Hixson posted:

I painted a 6x4 table with a SOTAR2020. You don’t need a paint gun wtf

Did it take you a month?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Did it take you a month?

A couple weeks. I posted it in this thread

E: most of that time was spent waiting for oils to dry

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Can confirm: this bad boy works great. My brother and I did some cabinets with one of these - silky smooth coats and works like a dream.

Speckled Jim posted:

I don't believe fence painting dude is getting coverage like that with just one pass.

There's no way he is on that old rear end wood, especially since it doesn't look sanded down or primered at all.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Speaking of airbrushes, I've been delayed in playing with mine for a bit but it's nice weather outside, so I'm going to play with using water.

The main issue is: I need a text guide on putting together the entire setup so I can make sure I'm not loving up. This is because I have a severe hearing impairment and I can't follow uncaptioned videos well, like what's linked in this thread and what I'm mostly finding with Google. Does anyone have any nice links to text + pictures guides?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I'm getting back into miniature painting after about 10 years. I saw some videos of Warcolours in use and they seem right up my alley. I have a pretty basic question though.

What is the difference between ink, glaze and the transparent paint line? Which would I use for what purpose? The line seems very blurry and I'm not sure if there's much point to buying an ink, glaze and transparent of the same colour.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I'm getting back into miniature painting after about 10 years. I saw some videos of Warcolours in use and they seem right up my alley. I have a pretty basic question though.

What is the difference between ink, glaze and the transparent paint line? Which would I use for what purpose? The line seems very blurry and I'm not sure if there's much point to buying an ink, glaze and transparent of the same colour.

There is some overlap yes, main differences would be the selection of colours available.

Inks will likely be more intense in colour compared to a glaze, with the intention being to use it as a shade rather than a filter, but they could be thinned down to a glaze.

Glazes will be quite thin colours used to help blend transitions between similarly hued colours (eg reds to orange would be layered with a red glaze). They can also be used as a tint, especially on white but that’s what the transparent paints are best for.

The transparents are similar to the glaze but with a stronger colour, more colour options, and are primarily used to tint the layer they’re going over, such as a metallic silver being turned into a metallic red (see Booley’s knight).

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Another thing about inks- if it's an actual ink, the pigment doesn't break up when diluted with water. That's why inks are used to create washes. Using them undiluted results in a very intense color.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
What size needle/what model is this ? Its so tiny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I666n65AIw0

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Does anyone have an easy aged bronze recipe? I’ve been doing a half-orc paladin and have done his armour with Tamiya Gun Metal washed with Nulin Oil and drybrushed with Tamiya Flat Aluminium. It looks pretty good but I think I need some contrast so I wanted to do the shoulder pads a different metal colour.

Does anyone have any recommendations for this?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Red_Fred posted:

Typhus Corrosion put on very lightly?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

What temperature are you going for. If you're going for a warm, coppery weathered look, I can't recommend VGC Hammered copper enough as a base. Gives a strong contrast against brighter cooler metal colors. Not sure how well it'd stand out against a duller metal, but that depends on how bright you took it.

If you're looking for specific recipes: VGC Hammered Copper, edge (or more than edge, depending on the effect you're seeking) highlighted with your favorite bronze, then washed with purple ink to taste.

If you want, an extreme edge highlight of some sort of steel/silver might work well, but I think that depends on the other colors in your model. You don't want to make the bronze bleed into the iron sections.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Can anyone with experience with Vallejo Metal Colors tell me how they compare in brightness to gw leadbelcher/ironbreaker? I want to try one of them out but I'm not sure if Steel or Magnesium would be the right colors to try if I'm going for a slightly darker metal.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Booyah- posted:

Can anyone with experience with Vallejo Metal Colors tell me how they compare in brightness to gw leadbelcher/ironbreaker? I want to try one of them out but I'm not sure if Steel or Magnesium would be the right colors to try if I'm going for a slightly darker metal.

I found the closest match to Leadbelcher was Dark Aluminum.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I like VMA Gunmetal as a Leadbelcher.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Stephenls posted:

I found the closest match to Leadbelcher was Dark Aluminum.

Me too. Be aware that the metal color range is the consistency of an alcohol based paint, they can run like a wash if you're not careful. Everything is blindingly bright and blingy. I picked up the silver and its as close to chrome as a water based paint is going to get.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

TTerrible posted:

Me too. Be aware that the metal color range is the consistency of an alcohol based paint, they can run like a wash if you're not careful. Everything is blindingly bright and blingy. I picked up the silver and its as close to chrome as a water based paint is going to get.

Cool. Is it best to undercoat black with these?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've only ever put them over black, and they looked great. They might be ok over grey but might be weird over white.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Booyah- posted:

Cool. Is it best to undercoat black with these?

Gloss black, for best results. Vallejo makes a gloss black primer for use with them.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

goodness posted:

What size needle/what model is this ? Its so tiny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I666n65AIw0

Looks like a standard needle size but it appears he painting without the nozzle on the brush - you can see the threads where it should be. Very weird. The brush might be this one that he has in another video.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
He seems to be using the a Harder & Steenbeck Evolution, you can even see the E pop into frame a little bit occasionally. And he just removed the needle guard, here's what the front end breaks down to:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Booyah- posted:

Sorry I'm late! I've got 3 of the VMetalC paints: Magnesium, Burnt Iron, and Copper. Of the 3, Magnesium is the darkest, a couple of shades darker than Leadbelcher (for which it makes a nice undercoat or shade color).
The Burnt Iron is a sort of silvery-brown color, which actually "feels" slightly corroded. It's a neat effect. Try it as a light overbrush on GW Warplock Bronze, or straight from the pot with a wash of Agrax or Nuln.
The Copper is a satisfying, rich red, very shiny. For ease of use, I actually prefer this to their alcohol-based Liquid Gold Copper, and that paint has actual metal flakes in it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I like their VMetalC Gold, though shade it with greens instead of reds/brown.

In the grey spectrum, I have: Steel, Gunmetal, Aluminum, Dull Aluminum (dark to light)

They are my go to colors, and I will prolly end up with more of them. That copper review makes me want it.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 2, 2018

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I really like Magnesium as my undercoat with Dark Aluminum over the top as a base color. Silver is a nice highlight, but chrome is even more shiny. I use both to create depth in the metal highlights on my crows.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Booyah- posted:

Extremely, extremely fine mica. So airbrush them in short, controlled passes.

Dark Aluminium or Magnesium would be the go for the darker metals. Steel and Aluminium are very bright and bold.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

dexefiend posted:

I like their VMetalC Gold, though shade it with greens instead of reds/brown.

Do you have any pics of this? I just bought that gold and love it but shading it with Reikland per my usual MO looked like butthole.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
See the Alarielle at the top of the page. Her hat is gold and a green wash.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Got me an angry elf spellcaster for Warmachine basecoated, and before I really get too far into things, I was wondering what color to use for the various buttons, buckles and other gubbins. Originally, I'd used a silver before, and that looked OK, but I'm not sure if I want to go with that again, or use another metallic like gold or copper. It's kind of an important choice, too, as it would not only be influencing how I go from here on this model, but also details on other elf models as well as the various mechanical underpinnings of the warjacks. I've already stripped and repainted once, and I'd really rather not do it again, so I'd like to not gently caress up the color composition too badly.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They see me rollin’, they hatin’

Finished up my first shield-captain.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
^^Sup Macro Mat warm background buddy

Finished up some Intercessors this week:

And a Primaris Captain:

I'm very happy with how the captain turned out. Fantastic model, and tons of fun to paint.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I loved converting the Captain into a Lieutenant. Awesome pose.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Thanks for the advice on the vallejo metals! It sounds like dark aluminum is the one to try.

Does anyone have a recipe for painting wood that theyre happy with? I hate doing things like wood weapon handles or gun stocks.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Booyah- posted:

Does anyone have a recipe for painting wood that theyre happy with? I hate doing things like wood weapon handles or gun stocks.

I tend to use multiple different shades of browns when painting wood, but the general idea is to go for high contrasts to bring out the grain wherever possible. If the surface already has a grain sculpted into it, use a wash over your midtone, heavier towards shaded areas. Then drybrush a lighter color to emphasize the grain on the high points. The colors you choose will vary depending on the type of wood you're painting, the age/condition of the wood, etc.

If you're painting a surface that lacks a grain, such as a staff or rifle stock, you can use a thin brush to draw in roughly parallel grain lines in a contrasting color. (You don't want exactly parallel lines, of course, because wood grain has knots and bulges in it.)

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

So I bought an airbrush to do base coats, and sprayed my dudes down with acrylic white paint, and this paint won't stick to the models at all. I primed them and stuff, but some light handling has made these guys look pretty beat up. Is this a problem with acrylics, with whites, or just with this specific brand of paint? Also, can I salvage this easily somehow, or should I just give them a bath and start over?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
What kind of primer did you use?

Did you mix lacquers/oils/acrylics?

Was the model resin? If so, did you wash it well before painting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

^^Sup Macro Mat warm background buddy

Finished up some Intercessors this week:

And a Primaris Captain:

I'm very happy with how the captain turned out. Fantastic model, and tons of fun to paint.

drat Dan, them's some nice Raven Guard.